PDA

View Full Version : **UPDATE**Parker listed as doubtful, likely out

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Not sure how effective he'll be with a bum toe, maybe more time for 34?

Looks like The Chargers will be with out their NT!!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 10:07 AM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Not sure how effective he'll be with a bum toe, maybe more time for 34?

Looks like The Chargers will be with out their NT!!

He was out against the Ravens as well. You guys should be able to run the ball pretty well this week...especially up the middle.

Callax
10-01-2009, 10:16 AM
let's hope that parker and mendenhall can both be effective, or else M Moore will see plenty of action
that is not a bad thing though
he's very solid...

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
34 is hungry, I think he could have a break out game...

Bucsfan4ever
10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Ouch...I've got Willie in a couple of leagues. With all the byes, gonna be a tough decision if he can't play!!

Iron City South
10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I still think Mendenhall needs to see more carries. He's far more important to the future of this team to let sit and watch Parker take the bulk of the reps.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I still think Mendenhall needs to see more carries. He's far more important to the future of this team to let sit and watch Parker take the bulk of the reps.

100%:yellowthumb:

igor0190
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, J. Williams the Chargers NT was placed on the IR last week I believe. HUGE loss for them. Looks like Tomlinson will probably play, and Merriman should be a game time decision.

Who's going to cover Gates? Timmons?

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, J. Williams the Chargers NT was placed on the IR last week I believe. HUGE loss for them. Looks like Tomlinson will probably play, and Merriman should be a game time decision.

Who's going to cover Gates? Timmons?

LT use to scare me, doesn't anymore. Lights Out is banged up even B4 the season started, he'll be a non-issue.

My guess would be yours on Gates.

igor0190
10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
LT use to scare me, doesn't anymore.

Agreed. Even if LT is perfectly healthy, Sproles will likely get at least half the carries anyways.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Agreed. Even if LT is perfectly healthy, Sproles will likely get at least half the carries anyways.

The Chargers should have dealt LT while he still had a lot of value. Sproles scares me way more than LT now. Every time that little guy gets the ball I think "oh crap".

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

You can see that, I can see that, most of us here can see that...can somebody please take the blinders off Tomlin & Arians and get Mendenhall on the field for more than 1 play at a time! :banging:

igor0190
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Nevermind Sproles... They should have paid Turner to stay.
I'm pretty sure most Chargers fans would have had a hard time choking down an LT trade. Kind of like Steelers fans would have not been able to deal with Heinz Ward leaving.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Nevermind Sproles... They should have paid Turner to stay.
I'm pretty sure most Chargers fans would have had a hard time choking down an LT trade. Kind of like Steelers fans would have not been able to deal with Heinz Ward leaving.

Sproles and Turner would have been a dynamite combo.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Turner = Fat slob this year, he's doing nothing! Maybe they seen something, I do agree with LT, AZ would of snagged him in a heart beat, then him and Willie could be on the same team next year!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Turner = Fat slob this year, he's doing nothing! Maybe they seen something, I do agree with LT, AZ would of snagged him in a heart beat, then him and Willie could be on the same team next year!

Turner's yards per attempt have gone down sharply...still on pace for 1200+ yards and 11 TD's this year. He's very one dimensional though. I believe he had nearly 1700 yards rushing and only 41 yards receiving in ATL last year. SD probably dealt him because they need a pass catching threat in the backfield. Sproles is an extreme to the opposite end of the spectrum...mostly a backfield receiver not much in terms of rushing. They would have been good together, but SD has shown some loyalty to LT.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Turner seems to have lost a big step, didn't seem to have that juke when I watched him.

Sproles is a stud IMO, he's a slippery little dart!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Turner seems to have lost a big step, didn't seem to have that juke when I watched him.

Sproles is a stud IMO, he's a slippery little dart!

Those heavy backs tend to have a short shelf life. Not everyone is Bettis. He'll be 29 in February and he's 240 lbs and only 5'10".

yinzer
10-01-2009, 01:15 PM
He was out against the Ravens as well. You guys should be able to run the ball pretty well this week...especially up the middle.

willie usually has great games against the bolts. he did last year. my only problem with running up the middle is that our center sucked the past two games at run blocking. the steelers are officially a passing offense. put the ball in ben's hands and let him light up the d.

if we get a lead this week and tomlin turtles, i'll jump off the west end bridge.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
willie usually has great games against the bolts. he did last year. my only problem with running up the middle is that our center sucked the past two games at run blocking. the steelers are officially a passing offense. put the ball in ben's hands and let him light up the d.

if we get a lead this week and tomlin turtles, i'll jump off the west end bridge.

Well if you get a lead this week you guys should have some success at running out the clock in the second half.

yinzer
10-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Well if you get a lead this week you guys should have some success at running out the clock in the second half.

i really think what the steelers need this week is not only a win, but to beat the living crap out of the bolts. they can't take their foot off the gas like the past 2 weeks.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
i really think what the steelers need this week is not only a win, but to beat the living crap out of the bolts. they can't take their foot off the gas like the past 2 weeks.

If they have a 10 point lead at the half...I'd expect to see a lot of running plays on first down.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 02:05 PM
If they have a 10 point lead at the half...I'd expect to see a lot of running plays on first down.

That's you. But let me welcome you into the head of our OC:

1st and 10, QB sneak up the gut.
2nd and 13, Parker run off tackle
3rd and 99, QB sneak
Punt!!

Ironman
10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

We have played like $hit when we head into the second half with a lead. We had a lead last week, tried to run the clock in the second half, and failed miserably. The Chargers have a much better defense than the Bengals, even despite the injuries.

Like Latrobe said, regardless of the score, the Steelers' offense is pretty predictable, and even more conservative than the Bush Administration. But who knows, maybe they will have some success, they did establish the run last Sunday...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
We have played like $hit when we head into the second half with a lead. We had a lead last week, tried to run the clock in the second half, and failed miserably. The Chargers have a much better defense than the Bengals, even despite the injuries.

Like Latrobe said, regardless of the score, the Steelers' offense is pretty predictable, and even more conservative than the Bush Administration. But who knows, maybe they will have some success, they did establish the run last Sunday...

Just going by what I saw in the Ravens-Chargers game. That backup at NT is a turnstyle. I'm sure the Steelers coaches will want to exploit him. The corners on SD did a good job of making our WR's irrelevant. The runs up the middle and and passes to the TE and RB's were mainly what was effective.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Me personally would like to see us keep the foot on the GAS all game.

10 point lead, run some no huddle, put more points on the board, make it that much harder for them to get back into the game! We got the weapons just need to use them properly!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Me personally would like to see us keep the foot on the GAS all game.

10 point lead, run some no huddle, put more points on the board, make it that much harder for them to get back into the game! We got the weapons just need to use them properly!

Make sure you guys go for it on 4th and goal with a 30 point lead...ala the Pats circa 2007.

Ironman
10-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Just going by what I saw in the Ravens-Chargers game. That backup at NT is a turnstyle. I'm sure the Steelers coaches will want to exploit him. The corners on SD did a good job of making our WR's irrelevant. The runs up the middle and and passes to the TE and RB's were mainly what was effective.

Jamal Williams is an animal, especially against the Steelers. Good to know he's not going to be a problem. I have never even heard of NT Ogemdi Nwagbuo (outstanding name), but their weakness at NT is made up in their strength at DE (Luis Castillo, Jacques Cesaire). SD has an amazing DB crew in Cromartie, Jammer, Hart, and Weddle (hell of a hitter).

Hopefully we can utilize TE Miller across the middle as the Ravens did we Heap. For some reasons that I can't comprehend, people sleep on Miller's abilities as a receiver. He's still one of the best kept secrets in the AFC North (clueless as to how), despite his valuable, and well known reputation in Pittsburgh, he's never really mentioned in any highlight reel, or in the media.

Do the Ravens have TE L.J. Smith?

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Jamal Williams is an animal, especially against the Steelers. Good to know he's not going to be a problem. I have never even heard of NT Ogemdi Nwagbuo (outstanding name), but their weakness at NT is made up in their strength at DE (Luis Castillo, Jacques Cesaire). SD has an amazing DB crew in Cromartie, Jammer, Hart, and Weddle (hell of a hitter).

Hopefully we can utilize TE Miller across the middle as the Ravens did we Heap. For some reasons that I can't comprehend, people sleep on Miller's abilities as a receiver. He's still one of the best kept secrets in the AFC North (clueless as to how), despite his valuable, and well known reputation in Pittsburgh, he's never really mentioned in any highlight reel, or in the media.

LJ played last week and had 1 catch for 26 yards. He should play this week. I would think Heath Miller would have a nice game this week. I also think your backs will rack up close to 150 yards on the ground. Castillo had a sack against us, but overall didn't have a great game. He got pushed around in the run game and looked bad a few times.

Blazedby92
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

L.J. Smith :hilarious: He is probably on IR or atleast hurt.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Make sure you guys go for it on 4th and goal with a 30 point lead...ala the Pats circa 2007.

Heck yea, make the defense stop you!

Art Rooney
10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
This is going to be a hell of a game !

SteelerSal
10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
You can see that, I can see that, most of us here can see that...can somebody please take the blinders off Tomlin & Arians and get Mendenhall on the field for more than 1 play at a time! :banging:

Mendenhall alone has kept himself off the field.

I don't want Mendy on the field unless his game film studies and and practice habits improve. This is the reason Tomlin has kept him off the field and it's a very good reason at that.

LatrobePA
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
But he's a first round pick, isn't that enough?? lol

SteelCityKid5
10-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Seriously though, GIVE MENDENHALL THE BALL

lloydfan4life
10-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Willie may play, but seriously, how fast is he gonna be wearing those pink cleats? :dunno:Link (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09274/1002214-66.stm)

scott0326
10-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Willie may play, but seriously, how fast is he gonna be wearing those pink cleats? :dunno:Link (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09274/1002214-66.stm)

At least the pink cleats are for a good cause.

I saw Willie Parker missed practice again today, this meaning he may not play? he seems like a game time decision right now.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Little article on ESPN's home page this morning:

"Mendenhall Seeks Second Chance"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4525049

Coach Mike Tomlin denied him the ball, effectively saying that if Mendenhall played like he practiced, he didn't want to see what might happen in a game that counted.

"It's a learning experience," Mendenhall said. "You learn in the NFL that the minor things are major, so you have to stay on top of everything. I just look forward to getting an opportunity to get to play and show the fans and my teammates what I can do."

scott0326
10-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Willie Parker expected to sit out vs Chargers

Willie Parker (turf toe) missed a third straight practice Friday and is not expected to face San Diego on Sunday Night Football.
Parker didn't do anything on the practice field this week, which usually is a sure indication that a player isn't healthy enough to play. His turf toe threatens to linger for sometime. Rashard Mendenhall will likely start, but is a high-risk fantasy play despite the matchup with San Diego's 26th-ranked run defense. Mewelde Moore is Pittsburgh's most effective running back. Oct. 2 - 12:06 pm e

Link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=153434&id=2957)

Captcoolhand
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Parker's not playing because he don't won't to where those Pink shoes! :stirpot:

SteelersWoman
10-02-2009, 10:59 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT/all_tags/today

Steelers RB Willie Parker (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/494527) missed another day of practice and it appears unlikely he will play on Sunday night. RB Rashard Mendenhall (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/561926) will take Parker's place in the starting lineup.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Parker is out for this game now, listening to Moore talk on Sirius today he seems ready to go this weekend. I just hope they force feed Mendenhall the rock on Sunday and make sure he gets every chance to succeed. Moore will be there to spell him and do 3rd down stuff but this is mendenhall's time to shine.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-04-2009, 04:39 AM
I still like Willie Parker and I'm thankful he had a hand in this team winning two Super Bowls but he is close to being done....He just can't stay healthy anymore......So come on Mendenhall and Moore......or just let Ben wing 50 times against the Chargers.....Stop going turtle inside the redzone and throw the ball instead of acting your still a power football team and leaving points on the field......