PDA

View Full Version : STOP ZONE BLOCKING!!!

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I think this might be the reason why we cant run the ball Bruce Arrogant Arians and his stupid zone blocking. Isn't this why he was fired from the Browns staff? We need to do the same! Who agrees?

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-29-2009, 04:50 PM
I think this might be the reason why we cant run the ball Bruce Arrogant Arians and his stupid zone blocking. Isn't this why he was fired from the Browns staff? We need to do the same! Who agrees?

Interesting take. Zone blocking would be optimal for a smaller, more agile offensive line. Do you feel the o-lineman on the Steelers are too large and not agile enough to employ this technique?

--- Added 9/29/2009 at 03:50 PM ---

I just took a look-see and it would appear that the size of the o-lineman on the Steelers roster would be sub-optimal for this technique to be completely effective. That is unless these men were especially agile for their given body types.

Big T
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Nah they are all big, fat, slow bums.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Interesting take. Zone blocking would be optimal for a smaller, more agile offensive line. Do you feel the o-lineman on the Steelers are too large and not agile enough to employ this technique?

--- Added 9/29/2009 at 03:50 PM ---

I just took a look-see and it would appear that the size of the o-lineman on the Steelers roster would be sub-optimal for this technique to be completely effective. That is unless these men were especially agile for their given body types.IMO we should go back to the style of offense we had when Whiz was the O coor.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Nah they are all big, fat, slow bums.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. You really need smaller, quick guys to effectively go with zone blocking. Seems odd that a professional football coach wouldn't take his personnel into account when deciding on something this important. The wrong guys zone blocking will look like fools, even if they're good football players.

--- Added 9/29/2009 at 04:11 PM ---

IMO we should go back to the style of running we had when Whiz was the O coor.

There's no need to take a 320lb+ o-lineman and tell him to go zone block. It makes no sense. Sometimes they use the technique because it can be simpler when facing a variety of fronts...similar to a strategy that a not to be named AFC North rival employs.

Big T
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
That's Bruce Arians for ya....

steelersforever1983
09-29-2009, 06:28 PM
if the team has heavy line men you shouldn't be doing zone blocking and should play to strength as in just simple run blocking. this includes a real fullback unlike what arian's think a fullback should do.

SteelCityKid5
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
IMO I keep in my prayers this is Arians last year! He might not be a bad person at all but I just dont like the way he calls games haha. I miss smashmouth running football!!

steelersforever1983
09-29-2009, 11:35 PM
same here i miss the smash mouth attitude of the steelers.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
same here i miss the smash mouth attitude of the steelers.

I don't get it. Some of you guys rip on the o-line and say they're terrible. Now I hear you want them to line up using man technique and play smashmouth football. How's that going to work out? Just saying it seems to be a complicated issue.

SteelCityKid5
09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Flacco, yeah the line has it's problems but theyve shown they can block in a horrible zone blocking scheme. The scheme this o-line needs is hat on hat go get someone type of blocking. These guys are big not small and most are usually slow and not fast. Also, IMO Arians doesn't like running the ball. He's a pass happy guy. When I say smashmouth, I mean I FORMATION, hat on a hat, 3&2, 6 YARD GAIN type of football. Not this BS we see when it's 3 & 2 the Steelers are in a shotgun formation. It's horrible, I hate it. The Steelers had 1 good year in this offense (2007). I didn't even like it then. Whether we make or miss the playoffs, one thing is a must: ARIANS NEEDS TO GO!!

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Flacco, yeah the line has it's problems but theyve shown they can block in a horrible zone blocking scheme. The scheme this o-line needs is hat on hat go get someone type of blocking. These guys are big not small and most are usually slow and not fast. Also, IMO Arians doesn't like running the ball. He's a pass happy guy. When I say smashmouth, I mean I FORMATION, hat on a hat, 3&2, 6 YARD GAIN type of football. Not this BS we see when it's 3 & 2 the Steelers are in a shotgun formation. It's horrible, I hate it. The Steelers had 1 good year in this offense (2007). I didn't even like it then. Whether we make or miss the playoffs, one thing is a must: ARIANS NEEDS TO GO!!

That makes sense. I agree the zone blocking technique is not at all ideal for your personnel. For whatever reason Arians thinks it's necessary. The only two conclusions I can draw are that they like it's simplicity against a variety of defensive formations or that he thinks they would get blown off the line in man. From where I sit he definitely looks like he's made a poor choice.