View Full Version : Steelers Sign FB: Carey Davis

Iron City South
09-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Not sure if I should be happy or sad .... :thinking:

Steelers sign fullback Davis
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac,
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have brought back a familiar face to help their running game -- fullback Carey Davis, a former two-year starter who was waived during the final cut of training camp, sources told the Post-Gazette.

Davis was signed after rookie fullback Frank Summers developed a back problem that Coach Mike Tomlin termed "mysterious" and rookie tight end David Johnson sustained a high-ankle sprain against the Cincinnati Bengals -- an injury that could keep him out several weeks.

Davis started 11 games the past two seasons with the Steelers and played in 37 games in three seasons, including six playoff games. He had 12 carries for 35 yards and caught five passes for 27 yards in 14 games last season.

Davis was cut earlier this month in favor of Summers, a fifth-round pick from UNLV.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09272/1001702-66.stm#ixzz0SWXTXiH0

HUNT4SEVEN
09-29-2009, 04:15 PM
I hate to say this but we NEED him!:yesnod:

LatrobePA
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I hate to say this but we NEED him!:yesnod:

Yep, plus he's a ST's hitter!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Davis is a good ST so that's always a plus; really the thing we gain with him is experience. He's not a great blocker by any means, let's remember last year when he was hurt and/or just not playing well, McHugh stepped in at FB and played pretty well. Davis is a good receiver out of the backfield but really this is just a step back to where we were last year....good or bad as that may be.

SouthCentral
09-29-2009, 04:51 PM
off topic but... Iron City:

He speaks french... In russian! lol i love that commercial! :lol:

Ironman
09-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Davis is a good ST so that's always a plus; really the thing we gain with him is experience. He's not a great blocker by any means, let's remember last year when he was hurt and/or just not playing well, McHugh stepped in at FB and played pretty well. Davis is a good receiver out of the backfield but really this is just a step back to where we were last year....good or bad as that may be.

We could really use Sean McHugh.. people underrate him, but that kid is dedicated, and knows how to sacrifice his body for a block. Hopefully Davis can fill in a humongous void we have at FB.

Big T
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
We could really use Sean McHugh.. people underrate him, but that kid is dedicated, and knows how to sacrifice his body for a block. Hopefully Davis can fill in a humongous void we have at FB.

David Johnson showed all through TC and the preseason that he could do just as good if not better that mchugh at fullback. It's a shame he got hurt Sunday...hopefully the high ankle sprain doesn't keep him out long.

SteelersWoman
09-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Frank Summers developed a back problem that Coach Mike Tomlin termed "mysterious"

That's a kind way of saying "Frank Summers has yellow streak down his back".

Zachintosh66
09-29-2009, 05:42 PM
hes baaaack, :lol:

K Train
09-29-2009, 06:03 PM
summers back problem is a cover up to get him off the field.....guarantee it.

lol at ICS being SOOOOOOOOO happy davis was cut and summers was in, turned out summers was 10x worse than davis ever was and hes back now.

should have been like this since day one...summers "injured" his back whiffing on a block...lmao

Troyisabeast_43
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I agree the back problem with Summers is very very mysterious. We use to see things like this with Bill Cowher when he was coaching with the Steelers. Guys that werent getting the job done all of a sudden came down with these injuries that ended their season out of nowhere. Im with you K-Train Im not buying this injury at all...

ToothAche
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
summers back problem is a cover up to get him off the field.....guarantee it.

lol at ICS being SOOOOOOOOO happy davis was cut and summers was in, turned out summers was 10x worse than davis ever was and hes back now.

should have been like this since day one...summers "injured" his back whiffing on a block...lmao

Totally agree. He is the worst blocker on the team. I think they should have just cut him to let the rest of the team know what could happen to them if they didn't perform.

Ironman
09-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Totally agree. He is the worst blocker on the team. I think they should have just cut him to let the rest of the team know what could happen to them if they didn't perform.

Well I maybe the only one, but I haven't given up on this kid yet. He's a rookie, a rookie who has really never been a FB before despite his enormous size. At UNLV he was a RB, a RB who averaged 4.4 yards a carry, and had a total of 14 rushing TD's throughout his 2 years there. He was a great runner at UNLV, and a descent option in the passing game. He's only descent at running in the NFL, give him some time to develop his skills at FB. I personally think we should simply mold him as our short yardage back, but that is highly doubtful.

Carey Davis should supplement for now... hopefully :crossfingers: