PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest Steelers Article of the Week

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I believe I've found it...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/29/did-the-steelers-stick-with-the-run-too-long/

Basically the article criticizes the Steelers for running the ball on 1st down too much in the 2nd half. A second half were they were largely in control and trying to milk the clock. I gotta wonder where these hacks find employment in an economy like this.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-29-2009, 10:47 AM
WHERE'S K TRAIN WHEN U NEED HIM?:lol:

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
WHERE'S K TRAIN WHEN U NEED HIM?:lol:

LOL at you. Your only instinct is to lash out when a Ravens fan pops up...regardless of their message. Get a thicker skin. It's only a game.

Moondog
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/29/did-the-steelers-stick-with-the-run-too-long/

Basically the article criticizes the Steelers for running the ball on 1st down too much in the 2nd half. A second half were they were largely in control and trying to milk the clock. I gotta wonder where these hacks find employment in an economy like this.

Damn, Flacco, you won't go away will you? lol. Well, you have persistence, I'll give you that. I breezed over the article and I agree with it, especially the last time the Steelers had the ball, they should have mixed it up a little bit, at that point they were not in firm control, the Steelers D had just been gashed for a td and the Steelers were only up by 5 with lots of time left.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Damn, Flacco, you won't go away will you? lol. Well, you have persitence, I'll give you that. I breezed over the article and I agree with it, especially the last time the Steelers had the ball, they should have mixed it up a little bit or at least gave Mendehall some carries.

I just can't fault a team like the Steelers, who were dominant for much of the game and boast a strong defense for trying to milk the clock as much as possible. Perhaps mixing in a few more passes on 1st down would have been good, but that's all 20/20 hindsight. Conventional wisdom would say that if you have a lead and a strong defense you want to take as much time off the clock as possible. You do that by assuring the clock with continue to run by going with rushing plays.

Moondog
09-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I just can't fault a team like the Steelers, who were dominant for much of the game and boast a strong defense for trying to milk the clock as much as possible. Perhaps mixing in a few more passes on 1st down would have been good, but that's all 20/20 hindsight. Conventional wisdom would say that if you have a lead and a strong defense you want to take as much time off the clock as possible. You do that by assuring the clock with continue to run by going with rushing plays.

Check my edit out, you commented before I switched it up.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-29-2009, 11:14 AM
The article makes a lot of sense. The O line has not established itself enough to have the luxury of running every time on 1st down,and being able to get good chunks of yardage.The offense needs to mix it up and try to keep the defense honest,which is what they did in the 1st half when they were more successful.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Check my edit out, you commented before I switched it up.

I can see your point. At the end there they weren't leading by much and had more time on the clock than you should try and run out. I think my issues with the article is that they discuss the second half as a whole and criticize the 1st down running plays as a whole. I think the first down rushes were a good idea...right up until the Bengals made a game of it.

stLlRfn14
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
We choked and the bungles capitalized. END OF STORY

steelfury455
09-30-2009, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't say the article is dumb, it's just how it went down. We used to pride ourselves in rushing and I think the staff "thinks" we can still do it with that horrible run blocking. It's been missing for two seasons now. We aren't running inside on anyone with that line (atleast with any consistancy like we used to). IMO BA needs to get FWP and Mendy out in space. That means off edge run plays. The mindset of "Steelers football" is there, the personnel is not.

Troyisabeast_43
09-30-2009, 09:36 PM
The Cincy game is over fellas it's 3 days old now and it's time to let it go. Should the Steelers have won the game had they done somethings differently?? Absolutely. But they let the Bengals hang around too long in this game and in the end the Bengals made the plays to win the game and the Steelers didnt. Im as pissed off as any Steelers fan alive about this team starting 1-2 but the record is what it is and the Steelers are going to have to fight their way out of this early hole they have dug themselves the first month of the season.

Stlrs4Life
09-30-2009, 10:35 PM

Fully agree. Sure you are not a closet Steelers Fan?

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
10-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Fully agree. Sure you are not a closet Steelers Fan?

Nope. Just a football fan.