PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Bengals Afterthoughts

Ironman
09-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Steelers' defense has been defined by the ability to withstand, and deny with the utmost authority. On September 27th, the Steelers failed in virtually every aspect against the Bengals when it counted. The first half was descent - Palmer wasn't effective whatsoever, and the running game was shut down. The second half resembled a high school football game. The secondary was unreliable, and inconsistent (despite Ike Taylor's valiant efforts). The defensive line, and the linebackers look overwhelmed, and outmatched. Where's the penetration? Where is the pressure? Casey Hampton had a legitimate sack, granted. But Harrison was apparently awarded one just because he looks awful intimidating. LeMarr Woodley is still nowhere to be found through three weeks. http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/Q/S/LaMarrWoodley1a.jpg

Every now and then you can catch a glimpse of what they did effectively last year, but in my opinion, this defense is merely trying to mimic last year's Steel Curtain. Through three weeks I've only caught hints of what was... The intensity is gone, the tough, unbreakable, undeniable persona has worn off. The Steelers defensive is stuck in a haze. The opposing offensive linemen smelt fear in our warriors, and it reeked. The Steelers lost because they were outplayed by a mediocre team, a team that shouldn't even have been allowed in the game after the first half. Have the Steelers forgotten what it takes to be champions? Unfortunately, this season is reminding me of the '06 disaster. Now there's still plenty of games to be won or lost, but unless I see a vast improvement in demeanor, and performance, I don't see Steelers Nation proudly raising another Lombardi when all things are said and done. http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/R/S/JamesFarrior1a.jpg

The Steelers are missing a crucial element to the secondary in Troy Polamalu, but football is about the 11 guys on the field, not the one's on the bench, or on the IR. It kills me to see the Steelers lose to a team like the Bengals, but it kills me even more to see the Steelers lose because they can't stop a team on fourth down (twice). Field goals are acceptable, but when they are the majority of the points produced offensively, the defense must stand strong, and induce takeaways – that has not happened. http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/S/S/TroyPolamalu1a.jpg

This loss is not entirely the defense's fault. Has the offensive forgotten how to punch the ball in, or are they completely oblivious to putting up points all together? Limas Sweed's drop was an echo of his miserable rookie season, and sadly, the way we play, one play means everything. Bruce Arians' play-calling throughout the fourth quarter personifies the new Steelers. Instead of punishing, and pummeling the opponents, we accept denial, we accept that when it comes to 3rd and short, we might as well just punt the ball. Now the Steelers have shown some determination, but when the game is on the line, complacency has been our motto. http://z.about.com/d/football/1/0/T/S/MikeTomlin1a.jpg

I bleed black, and gold like the majority of Steeler fans, but when we lose like that, when we lose two in a row... Well let's just say that next week's game against the Chargers will represent how the Steelers intend to let this season unfold. I and will be watching very, very closely. The Ravens are playing championship caliber football, while we are playing down to our opponents, and our expectations. http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/940/bensacked.jpg

written by Brendan Borcik
SteelerAddicts.com

Sir Blitzelot
09-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Great write-up man, hopefully we will get a W next week.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Very nice article man, thank you for posting it up. As painful as it is to relive another poor 2nd half performance by this team... :(

The bad thing is, it's not just 1 thing to fix and then we're all of the sudden better. Jeff Reed, offensive line, running game, secondary, run defense, you name it and it's an issue right now in some form or fashion. How depressing :(

Captcoolhand
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Very nice article man, thank you for posting it up. As painful as it is to relive another poor 2nd half performance by this team... :(

The bad thing is, it's not just 1 thing to fix and then we're all of the sudden better. Jeff Reed, offensive line, running game, secondary, run defense, you name it and it's an issue right now in some form or fashion. How depressing :(
Man, I have to agree. I won't go as low as to say we are like the Browns with 53 players heading in 53 different directions. but this team definitely doesn't have everyone on the same page.
I don't blame the players neither, I think our coaches aren't exactly on the same page neither. You want to kill a snake, you have to cut off the Head. :2cents: Saying.... Coaches need to step up just as well.

Big T
09-28-2009, 12:12 AM
how about that 4th and 4 right before the end of the half that gave the bengals great field position and kicked the field goal as time expired. That was a TERRIBLE call to go for it. punt the ball, and give the bengals a long field with a minute left instead of giving it to them on the 50.

Ironman
09-28-2009, 01:26 AM
how about that 4th and 4 right before the end of the half that gave the bengals great field position and kicked the field goal as time expired. That was a TERRIBLE call to go for it. punt the ball, and give the bengals a long field with a minute left instead of giving it to them on the 50.

I would have attempted the field goal in that situation, but with Reed's accuracy/confidence in the dumps right now, I don't necessarily disagree with the call to go for it. Granted it backfired and led to our demise, but these are the decisions a head coach lives, and dies by. Hopefully the Steelers are sick of the taste of losing by now, but unless I see a better effort defensively, our woes will continue to grow. The Chargers are a good team, not great, not bad, but good. They are much better than the Bengals, I don't think we can win with the performance we put up this week. As of now, the black and gold is flowing from an open wound implemented by this loss..... They need to patch it up!

North Steel
10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
The Steelers lost the last 2 games the same way,by not trying trying to get the first down on 3rd down.they could of then ran more time off the clock and got closer for a field goal.they would of left no time for the other 2 banana teams to do nothing but breakout the kleenex box.they really need to give there head a shake.I can't afford any more furniture.

StlersGuy
10-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Iam still pissed off about this game. We are 1-2 and we should be 3-0 however we can talk about the past well forever and that would make us a Bungal fan if we did so lets move on and get ready for week 4 and if all goes well after this month we will be going into our bye week and week 8 5-2. Then well the 1-2 start will be nothing but the past for sure...

Ironman
10-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I can't afford any more furniture.

:clap: