PDA

View Full Version : Defensive issues?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Uh Yeah I would say so, it's called they all sign off and go to sleep at halftime and forget there is still 30 minutes to go. Yes we are missing Troy, and yes he is a HUGE part of the defense but there are still 11 other guys out there every week now and for whatever reason they don't have that edge anymore. Where is the pressure, the sacks, the in your face kind of play style that made opposing offenses wish the game was over?

Last year they had this us against the world, we're gonna kick your ***, we will find a way to win, you won't run on us, kind of attitude that has been the signature of Steeler defenses for, well pretty much forever. Right now though that unit is not the stellar group of epic players who could be counted on to pull out the win no matter what the scenario. Who's to say right now if they will turn back into that unit or if we might as well get used to the fact that this is what they are this year. The talent is there, it's largely the same group but the edge is certainly not anywhere to be found.

They literally give up about 100 yds on the ground this week between Benson & Crocker for the Bengals and a workman like day from Palmer. Normally numbers like the Bengals put up would be more than enough to win but when you factor in the offense missing a FG again, Sweed dropping a TD, and the defense just not playing like last year it's clear to see that the future of the Steelers in 2009 is anything but clear.

Sir Blitzelot
09-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Uh Yeah I would say so, it's called they all sign off and go to sleep at halftime and forget there is still 30 minutes to go. Yes we are missing Troy, and yes he is a HUGE part of the defense but there are still 11 other guys out there every week now and for whatever reason they don't have that edge anymore.

Last year they had this us against the world, we're gonna kick your ***, we will find a way to win, you won't run us, king of attitude that has been the signature of Steeler defenses for, well pretty much forever. Right now though that unit is not the stellar group of epic players who could be counted on to pull out the win no matter what the scenario. Who's to say right now if they will turn back into that unit or if we might as well get used to the fact that this is what they are this year.

They literally give up about 100 yds on the ground this week between Benson & Crocker for the Bengals and a workman like day from Palmer. Normally numbers like the Bengals put up would be more than enough to win but when you factor in the offense missing a FG again, Sweed dropping a TD, and the defense just not playing like last year it's clear to see that the future of the Steelers in 2009 is anything but clear.

I agree, the defense seems to be lacking the same intensity that they played with last season. I don’t know how much can be attributed to the absence of Polamalu, but it's clear that they are struggling right now.

Ironman
09-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I agree, check out my post Steelers vs. Bengals Afterthoughts for some more insight on this bewildering catastrophe.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
:banging: FOR the second week in a row we have not be able to get the pressure we are use to getting,the defense to me seem very vanilla, personally i think we do have a superbowl hangover:yesnod:

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
NO, teams are figuring out how to beat it! This is a copy cat league, that is why coaches, players watch game tape, opening game was an eye opener for other teams, it's simple....

At the end of the game the 4th and 10 will not leave my mind for a long time.

Good football teams make the plays and get off the field, our team didn't!

igor0190
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM
NO, teams are figuring out how to beat it! This is a copy cat league, that is why coaches, players watch game tape, opening game was an eye opener for other teams, it's simple....

Bang on... Teams will copy this mold to beat our D until it stops working. Our offence is so damn talented I put this on their shoulders. SCORE MORE POINTS.

steelersforever1983
09-28-2009, 12:13 AM
defensive coordinator needs to adjust plays. you can't just say score more points what if the other defense is holding your offense. then your defense needs to step up. or do what the jets are doing get better cbs and blitz every ****ing down.

igor0190
09-28-2009, 12:32 AM
I'll stand by it... SCORE MORE POINTS.
The Bears or Bengals D's aren't anything special. Our offence had more than their share of opportunities to execute better and score more points in both those games. Our offence is very freakin' talented, they should be EXPECTED to score 30 points a game.

Zachintosh66
09-28-2009, 01:33 AM
:banging: FOR the second week in a row we have not be able to get the pressure we are use to getting,the defense to me seem very vanilla, personally i think we do have a superbowl hangover:yesnod:

you can only send so much pressure when they are 5 wide...

DanRooney
09-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Woodley is the weak link on the line. Harrison is playing his heart out and we got Woodley liplocking with right tackles. Farrior isn't doing much in underneath coverage either. Someone needs to wake them up.

We aren't getting any turnovers either, which is severely hurting us...

NCSteeler
09-28-2009, 03:26 AM
Not gonna put all of this on Troy being out, but I think the front seven plays and is coached much different when Troy is not back there to bail them out. They can take alot more risks and expect Troy to save the big play if they screw up.

I do think the O has got to step up and score when they get down there, the D has carried this team a long time, it's time for a little payback from this offense.

Then again the only real difference from last year is that the D is on the field at the end, last year it always seemed as though teams left a minute or two for Ben to work a littel magic, time for him to work a little harder earlier on.

Dean Denton
09-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Do you guys remember the year the Colts won it all? Bob Sanders was out, and the Colts had the worst run Def in the league. Bob came back at the start of the playoffs, and no one could run against them. Thier Def became bad ***. Its the same here. We are missing the best player on that unit, and we are paying a heavy price for it. Troy was giving our LB's time to get to the QB, and now that is gone. Not to mention we also lost our best CB this off season. The O is going to have to carry this team, and they are going to have to start now or we wont even get a wild card spot. (Good luck with that)...lol

Dick said he had no plans for retirement because he was having too much fun. Does it look like he's having any fun at all right now? His Def is getting worked over late in the game, and right now the Steelers are a big joke. They are being laughed at as Sb champs. Holmes looks like he smokin weed again....I hope all of you have enjoyed Dick as our Def coach because I think he might step down after this season. Your entire plan of attack should not rest on the balance of one player, and from the way the games have been called the last two weeks, its looks like Dick has done just that. He has no answer for what is happening, or just lacks the talent to do anything about it.

The Chargers are going to smoke the Steelers next week if they play like this again. Rivers will post them for 400 yards, and 5 TD's. Either way, this Steeler team might go 8-8, but I would be shocked if they won that many games.

Good teams dont lose back to back games even against other good teams. I thought we were better then the Patriots, but I guess not.

Chargers 31, Steelers 17....

Zachintosh66
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Harrison and Woodley have been invisible thus far... screw the damn holding calls or lack of Only time weve heard them is talking about possible cheap shots.

Like I said before, we knew things were going to be messed up with Carter... a few weeks ago we had him on the chopping block.

I did like how Ike stepped up towards the end of the game however.

UKSTEELER
09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
We've got Timmons playing inside, errr he's not an inside backer, this guy could be a terror off the edge with his speed. The new LT?

I'm sick of seeing Woodley get manhandled play after play, the guy has zero moves and all but zero tackles to boot!

Put Fox inside please and Timmo in for Wood.

This still doesn't solve the problem of Farrior though, he's on the slide, he looks lost without Troy backing him up!

Zachintosh66
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Fox... youve got to be kidding. Hes just a special teamer, nothing more.

UKSTEELER
09-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Fox... youve got to be kidding. Hes just a special teamer, nothing more.

He started in the only game we won so far!

Zachintosh66
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
He started in the only game we won so far!

Due to injury...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Any defensive issues the Steelers have will be remedied by the healthy return of Troy. He's the play maker. His absence opens up a lot of options for opposing teams.

Stlrs4Life
09-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Up until the past 2 weeks we were 6-2 when Troy was out. And I don't blame Redd on the missed FG, it was like a 52 yd attempt.

Troyisabeast_43
09-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Up until the past 2 weeks we were 6-2 when Troy was out. And I don't blame Redd on the missed FG, it was like a 52 yd attempt.

I just find it hard to believe that Troy would not have made 2 or 3 plays on defense in the last 2 games with the Bears and the Bengals that would have made a difference and stopped at least one or two scores on a those important key drives. There is no way that Benson scores on that TD run on the edge if Troy was playing. His closing speed is ridiculous and he definitely would have caught Benson enough to either tackle him or push him out of bounds. Yes Tyrone Carter is that slow that he wasnt even close to catching Benson or pushing him out of bounds. Much like Tyrone Carter always is he once again was a step or two too late before he could make the acutal play. That's the kind of drop off you get when you compare Carter to Troy. Troy is a playmaker and a difference maker and makes you unbelievable plays when you need them. Tyrone Carter stinks and is a stiff that cant make a critical stop or tackle to save his life...

Blazedby92
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Any defensive issues the Steelers have will be remedied by the healthy return of Troy. He's the play maker. His absence opens up a lot of options for opposing teams.

As much as I think this guy is an IDIOT and a ratbird bandwagon stirring crap. This is a good point and I do believe it. We feed off the play of our safeties and our pass rush and we aren't gettin either.

LatrobePA
09-29-2009, 09:43 AM
As much as I think this guy is an IDIOT and a ratbird bandwagon stirring crap. This is a good point and I do believe it. We feed off the play of our safeties and our pass rush and we aren't gettin either.

A good pass rush comes from a good secondary. When the WR's aren't open the QB will hold the ball longer.