PDA

View Full Version : Everyone happy we got our running game going

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
AND LOST!

I blame the coach for wanting to get Willie 100 yards and not resting him and allowing fresh legs to come in and RUN thus running out the clock!

Lets face it we are in a HUGE hole! Next week is no easier!

I'd rather have 6 yards rushing and the W...

Black@Gold Forever32
09-27-2009, 08:21 PM
No I'm not happy about the running game and thought the Steelers played turtle at the end.......Typical Steelers football type **** mentality about playing defense and running the ball.....lol The coaches can't be blamed for Sweed dropping a TD pass but the play-calling at the end of a game lost that game for Steelers and the defense yet again not generating much of a pass rush all game.....

I'm not ready to start bitching yet but I'm getting close.....I really don't want to see a 1-3 start next week......

Steelersfan
09-27-2009, 08:23 PM
AND LOST!

I blame the coach for wanting to get Willie 100 yards and not resting him and allowing fresh legs to come in and RUN thus running out the clock!

Lets face it we are in a HUGE hole! Next week is no easier!

I'd rather have 6 yards rushing and the W...

Parker looks to me like he has lost a few steps. He had some holes that he should/would have ate up the Bengals in the past. And not seeing Mendy out there at all is a joke. This team has no killer instinct and will go no where playing like this. They are not capable of running the clock out and need to learn to put teams away for once.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Parker looks to me like he has lost a few steps. He had some holes that he should/would have ate up the Bengals in the past. And not seeing Mendy out there at all is a joke. This team has no killer instinct and will go no where playing like this. They are not capable of running the clock out and need to learn to put teams away for once.

AGREED

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
True, Sweed needs to stay on the sidelines. Reed missing a long FG.

Pack your **** Reed your done after this year.

Early after a loss is tough, I'm pissed! Why didn't Mendy get any carries against a wore down D??

Stlrs4Life
09-27-2009, 08:27 PM
No I'm not happy about the running game and thought the Steelers played turtle at the end.......Typical Steelers football type **** mentality about playing defense and running the ball.....lol The coaches can't be blamed for Sweed dropping a TD pass but the play-calling at the end of a game lost that game for Steelers and the defense yet again not generating much of a pass rush all game.....

I'm not ready to start bitching yet but I'm getting close.....I really don't want to see a 1-3 start next week......

Get ready for it, this Defense blows at the moment.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-27-2009, 08:28 PM
We allways run on the Butt Holes an clowns this is nothing new! Untill we get a real O-Coordinator an a real O-Line coach this is gonna happen all year, an Reed bitch *** is doing this **** on purpose!:cursin:

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
oops - 13-3 HT!

Stlrs4Life
09-27-2009, 08:33 PM
20-9 at HT....

13-3 at Half time. Should have been more.

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
13-3 at Half time. Should have been more.

Sorry you're right!

I agree....

igor0190
09-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Eerily similar to how we lost the Bears game... We need to put points on the board when we have the chance. Finish in the redzone.

Feel like throwing up right about now

steelersforever1983
09-27-2009, 08:53 PM
they go for the big plays and not 1st downs. and we can't run block for **** at the goal line.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2009, 08:56 PM
There is no excuse for not using Mendenhall, he didn't even have a carry in this game. I don't care if Willie was having a good day or not; you drafted Mendenhall for a reason! This team just cannot get their act together to form a complete 60 minutes to save their lives. The point of having a Rashard on your team is to get him reps which gives him experience by allowing him to actually see the field now and then right?

BlackGold4vr
09-27-2009, 08:59 PM
There is no excuse for not using Mendenhall, he didn't even have a carry in this game. I don't care if Willie was having a good day or not; you drafted Mendenhall for a reason! This team just cannot get their act together to form a complete 60 minutes to save their lives. The point of having a Rashard on your team is to get him reps which gives him experience by allowing him to actually see the field now and then right?

Our coach was teaching him a valuable lesson that we can lose close games with or without you! Now what's it going to be? :lol:

tat2
09-27-2009, 09:02 PM
12 yards rushing in the 4th with the lead! that ain't steeler football! 103 net yards rushing; they did not get the running game going!

Big T
09-27-2009, 09:22 PM
They didn't leave Willie in the game to get him 100 yards. They left him in the game because he was going good and getting the job done. Should mendenhall have been given carries, yes, but Willie was having a good game and they probably didn't want to ruin his rhythm. I think rashard should have had carries in the 4th.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
I understand the whole getting Willie going, get him into the flow of the game, run his till the wheels fell off mentality but the problem with that is the wheels wouldn't have to fall off if we'd use our 1st round draft pick atleast alittle bit.

Tomlin needs to step in, be the coach, and do what's best for this team and that is to get Rashard some action. What are we doing to do if and when Willie gets hurts this year and we have to rely on Mendenhall to carry the load? When that happens he'll have all of about a dozen carries under his belt this season and then Arians will jump back on the Mewelde Moore band wagon and we'll still see Mendenhal riding the bench.

Our coach was teaching him a valuable lesson that we can lose close games with or without you! Now what's it going to be? :lol:

I gotta hand it to ya bro, you are the eternal optimist or the eternal sarcastic guru of all living beings!....LOL

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Did I miss something with Mendy? Why is T trying to prove a point??? What did the kid do?

igor0190
09-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Did I miss something with Mendy? Why is T trying to prove a point??? What did the kid do?

Sounds like he just had a ****** week of practice so Tomlin was trying to prove a point that he needs to practice better.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Yards/Game: 26th
Yards/Attempt: 28th
TD: 16th (tied)

If you can't run the ball you can't control the clock. If you can't control the clock you can't win the AFC North. It's tough to run block when you're sucking wind because your QB just had you blocking on a 10 second scramble instead of getting rid of the ball.

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Yards/Game: 26th
Yards/Attempt: 28th
TD: 16th (tied)

If you can't run the ball you can't control the clock. If you can't control the clock you can't win the AFC North. It's tough to run block when you're sucking wind because your QB just had you blocking on a 10 second scramble instead of getting rid of the ball.

The Steelers lack of not being able to run the football was not the reason they lost in Chicago and not the reason they lost to the Bengals yesterday...The defense is not making key plays in key situations like we saw too many times last season it's as simple as that. If Limas Sweed hangs onto that TD too they have an extra TD on the board and probably break the Bengals spirit in the 3rd quarter. But they didnt do it and thus gave the Bengals new life and didnt make the plays when they needed too. The Bengals had 99 total yards going into the 4th quarter and the Steelers had 354 yards. Parker nearly rushed for 100 yards yesterday and the offense was pretty good but they just for whatever reason cannot finish off drives in the red zone which is killing this team.

LatrobePA
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Your daddy for not shooting the load on the pillow case!

Come on guys quit feeding this *******!

Blazedby92
09-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Your daddy for not shooting the load on the pillow case!

Come on guys quit feeding this *******!

His intelligence ran down the crack of his momma's ***.

Steel Trap86
09-28-2009, 03:22 PM
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_steelers_ravens.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y22G4uovoqw/SUfgjOVomFI/AAAAAAAAB0s/wSJyVPN1Urs/s400/STEELERS-RAVENS-BAD-CALL-1.jpg
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/19steelers_xlarge3.jpg
http://sportsblog.projo.com/mcgahee0119.jpg
http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pitt.jpg

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
The Steelers lack of not being able to run the football was not the reason they lost in Chicago and not the reason they lost to the Bengals yesterday...The defense is not making key plays in key situations like we saw too many times last season it's as simple as that. If Limas Sweed hangs onto that TD too they have an extra TD on the board and probably break the Bengals spirit in the 3rd quarter. But they didnt do it and thus gave the Bengals new life and didnt make the plays when they needed too. The Bengals had 99 total yards going into the 4th quarter and the Steelers had 354 yards. Parker nearly rushed for 100 yards yesterday and the offense was pretty good but they just for whatever reason cannot finish off drives in the red zone which is killing this team.

Could be that the only 2 rushing TD's are from Ben. I mean this is an issue. We can talk this away all we want, but these numbers tell a story. Steelers football is smash mouth run it right at you and run you over football. You know this.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
We've already got threads on the running game, I'm going to merge this one in with that one.

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 03:25 PM
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_steelers_ravens.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y22G4uovoqw/SUfgjOVomFI/AAAAAAAAB0s/wSJyVPN1Urs/s400/STEELERS-RAVENS-BAD-CALL-1.jpg
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/19steelers_xlarge3.jpg
http://sportsblog.projo.com/mcgahee0119.jpg

Sad that you can't even properly post a picture.

--- Added 9/28/2009 at 01:25 PM ---

We've already got threads on the running game, I'm going to merge this one in with that one.

My apologies.

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Could be that the only 2 rushing TD's are from Ben. I mean this is an issue. We can talk this away all we want, but these numbers tell a story. Steelers football is smash mouth run it right at you and run you over football. You know this.

Not anymore it's not. This is a passing team first dude no matter what anybody says. The strength of this offense is the passing game and the receivers and it starts with their best player on offense Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers need to put the ball in this guys hands in key situations in the game. This has been a topic of conversation on the talk shows in this town and in the media since preseason. This is not a run first offense anymore. Bruce Arians and the offense does not want to run the football consistently enough because they know they cant. Their strength is the passing game and their best player is Ben Roethlisberger that's who's hands I want on the ball in key situations when the game is on the line...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Not anymore it's not. This is a passing team first dude no matter what anybody says. The strength of this offense is the passing game and the receivers and it starts with their best player on offense Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers need to put the ball in this guys hands in key situations in the game. This has been a topic of conversation on the talk shows in this town and in the media since preseason. This is not a run first offense anymore. Bruce Arians and the offense does not want to run the football consistently enough because they know they cant. Their strength is the passing game and their best player is Ben Roethlisberger that's who's hands I want on the ball in key situations when the game is on the line...

I'd argue that's what is wrong with this team this season. Abandonment of the run game almost by necessity. The Steelers aren't prolific enough on offense to be a pass first team. They are a defensive team. They need to control the clock on the offensive side of the ball. Either the Steelers have lost the ability to run the ball effectively or they have unwisely chosen not to.

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd argue that's what is wrong with this team this season. Abandonment of the run game almost by necessity. The Steelers aren't prolific enough on offense to be a pass first team. They are a defensive team. They need to control the clock on the offensive side of the ball. Either the Steelers have lost the ability to run the ball effectively or they have unwisely chosen not to.

It's a combination of both they cant run it effectively enough and they also dont want too run it because the passing game is better then their run game. It's as simple as that...It worked well enough last season to win a Super Bowl the lack of a consistent running game. The Steelers threw the ball in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl last season the majority of the time to win. They still have enough weapons on offense with Ben leading the way along with Holmes,Ward,Miller and Wallace to be a team that can put up a lot of yards and score a lot of points. They just arent finishing drives off right now it's as simple as that. Going into yesterday they had 87 pass attempts to 42 rushing attempts that tells you right there with that pass to run ratio that they arent a running team anymore and dont want to run the football. The stats dont lie...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 03:50 PM
It's a combination of both they cant run it effectively enough and they also dont want too run it because the passing game is better then their run game. It's as simple as that...It worked well enough last season to win a Super Bowl the lack of a consistent running game. The Steelers threw the ball in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl last season the majority of the time to win. They still have enough weapons on offense with Ben leading the way along with Holmes,Ward,Miller and Wallace to be a team that can put up a lot of yards and score a lot of points. They just arent finishing drives off right now it's as simple as that. Going into yesterday they had 87 pass attempts to 42 rushing attempts that tells you right there with that pass to run ratio that they arent a running team anymore and dont want to run the football. The stats dont lie...

Last year they averaged 105.6 yards per game. This year they're averaging 81.0 yards per game. It appears the average per carry are the same at 3.7 yards. I guess I have my answer. They cut back on their attempts per game because they weren't getting the results they wanted. I don't really see this as a good thing.

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Last year they averaged 105.6 yards per game. This year they're averaging 81.0 yards per game. It appears the average per carry are the same at 3.7 yards. I guess I have my answer. They cut back on their attempts per game because they weren't getting the results they wanted. I don't really see this as a good thing.

Well thats good you dont see it as a good thing but keep in mind it's only September. Teams dont establish their full identity until about the end of October or near the mid point of a season. Let's see how things are going a month from now and then we will talk. You're putting way too much emphasis on 3 games it's not enough to judge a whole body of work just yet for an entire season...

JoeFlaccoSaysHi
09-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Well thats good you dont see it as a good thing but keep in mind it's only September. Teams dont establish their full identity until about the end of October or near the mid point of a season. Let's see how things are going a month from now and then we will talk. You're putting way too much emphasis on 3 games it's not enough to judge a whole body of work just yet for an entire season...

I'm putting emphasis on the fact that this team has lost it's offensive identity and it's ability to run the football. They've lost these things mostly due to poor o-line play. One of the contributing factors as I see it to this poor line play is that the lineman are gassed from having to block for extended periods of time because Ben holds onto the ball too long. Just one fan's opinion. I'm glad that it worked out last season, but it you'll notice the Steelers offense wasn't all that great (ranked 22nd). The defense carried most of the load. Might be a good idea to go back to what had the offense clicking on all cylinders back in the day. Just saying.

RAWSTEEL
09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
steelers need to rotate parker and Mendenhall just like the giants use there two backs look what happend when they gave mendanhall the ball when they played the bears. coaches are dissapointing me