PDA

View Full Version : Steelers may look to other options as Frank Summers struggles

Captcoolhand
09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
The Steelers haven’t had a true blocking fullback since Dan Krieder last played for the team in 2007. After the first two games of the season, it seems as if they still don’t as rookie Frank Summers has been less than impressive as a lead blocker for Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall.

Summers, a fifth-round draft pick out of UNLV, has visibly missed blocks and assignments and is one of the many reasons the Steelers running game continues to struggle.

“Frank Summers is not impressing me at all,” said former Steelers safety and current ESPN Radio 1250 analyst Mike Logan earlier this week on 'The Drive.'

“He keeps whiffing on his blocks.”

He's also not contributing on short-yardage plays as he has yet to register a carry this season.

Marie Rancher, who covers UNLV for Examiner.com, believes Summers may be having trouble adjusting to the Steelers style of play because it’s a much different offense than the Rebels employ.

“UNLV’s offense does not feature the running game and the backs do not get too many carries since the quarterbacks are usually in shotgun and they can run,” Racher said.

“I think that is why Summers is having a hard time adjusting to the Steelers scheme.”

That may be true, and considering the fact that he’s just a rookie it’s understandable that he is going through a learning curve as all first-year players do. But to visibly flat out miss blocks on a consistent basis is inexcusable.

If Summers does not progress and play better, the team may look to seventh-round draft choice David Johnson.

Johnson, a tight end, has been inactive for the first two games of the season but caught the attention of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians early in training camp.

"He's just so powerful when we put him up against linebackers. And against our defensive ends, he really stood out. You talk to those guys, they say, 'Man, this kid's got some punch.' And he can run and catch”, Arian’s told the Post-Gazette in August.

"If he continues to come around, we might have found a jewel because that's the guy who can also play fullback.”

Johnson may have to, if the “tank” keeps whiffing.I hope he can soon come around but it's not like we've been using a FB alot every since that D*ckhead Arians took over. :stirpot:

Stlrs4Life
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Darn, was hoping for Summers.

K Train
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
hmmm interesting.....

lol

75Steeler
09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
How long can we tolerate watching Summers not do the job we need him to do? If Johnson can be put in and do a good job then he needs to be our guy. Do we risk 1/4 of this season working the bugs out? I thought that is what Latrobe and preseason was for.

Iron City South
09-24-2009, 09:16 PM
This is a bullshit biased "One man's opinion" article with no link ...

Summers was in on 5 plays in his 1st NFL game vs. the Titans and had 2 bad reads and missed tackle. The other 2 plays his man was way out of position to make the hit.

Last week against the Bears Summers looked better, but again, he wasn't in on enough plays to even get a feel for how he's doing.

If this author wants to bash him for something, bash him for being a rookie with no NFL experience ... because that's all he's really guilty of right now.

Big T
09-24-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that ever since we drafted him, Train and I both said how terrible the Frank Summers pick was. I've been saying this all along, put David Johnson in a fullback. He is our best blocking tight end and would be a huge upgrade over Carey Davis, Sean McHugh, and of course Mr. Summers.

LatrobePA
09-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Should of hired a true OC like Cam Cameron when he was let go in Miami!

BA is a flunky that couldn't last in CLEVE!!

There would be no talk about lack of this or that if the change had been made 3 years ago!

steelcityrockers
09-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I think I said this back in March or something that Summers is dick. Has yet to prove me wrong.