PDA

View Full Version : Numbers are not adding up to TDs

Captcoolhand
09-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Everything about the Steelers through two games would point to this team being perhaps the most explosive group in Pittsburgh's storied history.
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is completing nearly 72 percent of his passes and has thrown for nearly 600 yards.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes entered Monday tied for the NFL lead in receiving yards with 214, a pace that would put him over 1,700 for the season.
Fellow receiver Hines Ward isn't far behind Holmes' pace, and tight end Heath Miller has 11 receptions.

Yet all the yards aren't leading to points.

Though the Steelers (1-1) are averaging more than 330 yards, they rank 29th in the league in scoring at 13.5 points per game. Only Cleveland, Washington and St. Louis have scored fewer points.

With a running game that is struggling, the Steelers are taking more chances with their passing game. It has resulted in some gaudy numbers but not many points.

That was very evident in the 17-14 loss Sunday to the Chicago Bears. The Steelers made five trips into Chicago territory but came away with only two touchdowns.

"When you have the opportunities to score points and come away with nothing, it takes a little wind out of the team," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "That crowd got behind (the Bears). They did what they had to do. They kicked the field goal at the end. That's what you got to do when you're playing at home. We let one slip away from us."

Kicker Jeff Reed missed a pair of mid-range field goals in the fourth quarter, but those were not the only opportunities the Steelers had to score points.

After going 92 yards for a touchdown on their first possession, the Steelers were drove from their own 10-yard line to the Chicago 38 on their second possession. But Roethlisberger was intercepted by Charles Tillman on a long pass down the sideline intended for rookie receiver Mike Wallace to end the scoring opportunity. The wobbly pass was thrown too far to the inside and Wallace never had an opportunity to catch the ball.

In the fourth quarter, before the second of Reed's missed field goals, Holmes got behind Tillman in the end zone on a third-and-two from the Chicago 25. Holmes dropped the pass after Tillman deflected the ball.

"I thought that we were good offensively. But, we shot ourselves in the foot too many times," said Roethlisberger. "We made a mistake here or there."

They were mistakes the team must avoid, starting this week at Cincinnati.

"There's no question we left a lot of plays out there," said Ward. "The only thing we can do is learn from it. Review it, watch it, study it. Over the course of 16 games, you're going to have some of those games. You can think you should have won, but we didn't. Regardless what the stats and numbers show, we didn't come in here and walk away with the 'W'. That's all it boils down to."

Odds and end zones

Ward needs 60 yards to become the 32nd player in NFL history and first Steeler to surpass 10,000 career receiving yards. ... Cincinnati defensive end Atwaan Odom leads the NFL with seven sacks. ... Twelve running backs have more yards rushing than the entire Steelers team. :duh:Like alot of here can agree, We need to start converting all these yards into points.
:2cents: It's sad that we are #29 in scoring points with all the Yards that Ben has put up already this Season. (and Ben is not known for putting up alot of 300yds+ games)

Also, I know Odom got 5 sacks against Green Bay but I'm kinda worried about our O-line. You can bet that the Bengals are going to try and bring the rush as much as possible, I just hope Ben walks away with fewer than 5 sacks and 3 turnover. Not to mention, not getting hurt.

Callax
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
This past sunday Pitt got into the redzone 5 times and only got 2 td's...
NOT GOOD
take into acount 2 missed FG and that would be a TD needed score by Chicago to win..
I don't know if PITT DEFENSE would have stopped them
PITT last year put pressure on QB's that forced early throws and more turnovers

They need to score whenever PITT is in the red zone and that has to be a priority
getting points, NOT YARDS

Big T
09-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Mental mistakes. They will fix it. I'm thinking the offense will be suprisingly good next week.

Troyisabeast_43
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
The Steelers are not a running team anymore seeing that they have run 87 passes and only rushed only 42 times throughout the first 2 weeks of the season. That tells me that this team doesnot want to run the football and that the strength of their offense at this point and time is the passing game. With that being said, as Ive pointed out before the Steelers have got to fix their short yardage game in the red zone when they get into 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 1. They are absolutely terrible at it right now and until they fix it and start converting TD's instead of FG'S they are going to continue to struggle to put teams away early in the game.

LarryNJ
09-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I believe that they will start scoring when they are down there starting this week.

The Steelers are not a running team anymore seeing that they have run 87 passes and only rushed only 42 times throughout the first 2 weeks of the season. That tells me that this team doesnot want to run the football

I certainly wouldn't say they don't want to run the ball. If they would have scored in the red zone last week there's no doubt that they would've had more runs than they did. Against the Titans they simply couldn't run it and had to pass. I think that those numbers will get more balanced over the next 5 games with only the Vikings having very good run defense.

DanRooney
09-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Hard to get any points when #1 RB has about 50 yards total rushing in 2 games.

Troyisabeast_43
09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I believe that they will start scoring when they are down there starting this week.

I certainly wouldn't say they don't want to run the ball. If they would have scored in the red zone last week there's no doubt that they would've had more runs than they did. Against the Titans they simply couldn't run it and had to pass. I think that those numbers will get more balanced over the next 5 games with only the Vikings having very good run defense.

Well Tomlin made a statement after the game when asked about how the running game performed better he stated Im not going to get all excited because we rushed for a lot of yards,Id rather win the game and have no yards rushing. Well then here is a hint for you coach Tomlin start throwing the ball down in the red zone in 4 and 5 wide which is your strength and what usually gets you into scoring position in the first place instead of going to the same formation where Willie Parker gets drilled in the backfield for a 5 yard loss. When this team goes 4 or 5 wide empty set with Ben throwing the ball with the likes of Hines,Holmes,Miller,Wallace,Moore and Sweed whichever combo is out there they are very very hard to shut down. So why not use it when you get into the red zone?? Who knows the Steelers might actually have a better chance of scoring points if they do instead of trying to run Parker all the time and lose 3-4 yards virtually every carry.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Only two weeks in so really who cares if the Steelers offense isn't scoring points yet....I didn't expect to light the score board up right off the bat.....Sure the Saints offense is flying high but I expected some what of a sluggish start for the Steelers offense before getting into full sync with each other.....The offense is scoring 30 against the Bengals just watch......

tuggysteel822
09-23-2009, 02:45 AM
I like how everybody is saying, "The Steelers aren't a running team anymore" just because they've been throwing the ball more. They will always be a ground team and i'm sure the coaching staff knows that they need to be able to run so as to not telegraph the play calling.

Frankly, i don't care what their offensive "identity" is, so long as they score points, preferably a lot, and outscore the opposing team, i'm fine with that. Give me some entertaining football.