PDA

View Full Version : Steelers facing possible 2 game deficit in division with a loss in Cincinnati Sunday

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Now I know it's way to early to be talking about division leads and all that stuff but if anybody knows how I am on these boards I will get into it a little bit. The Steelers this week in Cincy if god forbid they should drop this game to the Bungles will not only most likely be 2 games behind the Ravens in the division but will also fall to 3rd place in the division at 1-2 a game behind the Bengals having lost a tiebraking game to the Bengals. I say this because the Ravens most likely are going to beat the Browns this coming Sunday who have looked pathetic so far the first two games and move to 3-0. And while the Ravens do have road games 2 of the next 3 weeks at the Patriots and at the Vikings you dont want to put yourself in an early 2 game hole going into October having already lost a game in the division.

Kudos to the Bengals for going into Lambeau Field yesterday and beating the Packers. That was a shocker to me and I didnt think it would happen. Ill admit I was completely wrong in saying the Ravens would lose to the Chargers and the Bengals would lose at Lambeau. Things ended up working out totally the opposite with the Steelers losing as well which makes this scenario going into this week much more important and critical even for late September. The Bengals after that devistating loss to the Broncos last week now have new life going into next week's game with the Steelers at home in which they will treat as if it were the Super Bowl this early on in the year.

I had mentioned the Steelers first four games at the start of the season with the Titans,Bears,Bengals and Chargers were all going to be tough, close games down to the wire win or lose and so far it's unfolding exactly that way. It's why it's important for the Steelers to go into Cincy on Sunday get this win on the road in the division move to 2-1 and then have 3 of your next 4 games in October at home with the only road game being against lowly Detroit on October 11th. The Steelers with a win this week should be able to keep pace with the Ravens who will lose some games coming up I believe until they do meet in late November for the first time. If they lose to the Bengals and fall to 1-2 and 2 games behind the Ravens and in 3rd place it's going to put them in a very uncomfortable spot early on in the year facing a 2 game deficit already and the Ravens playing pretty good. You dont want to have to deal with that kind of adversity this early in the season just yet especially with no Troy in the lineup for at least another month and the Steelers defense looking pretty human yesterday in Chicago. Another performance by the defense in Cincy like that combined with a loss like yesterday as well then it might be time to start getting a little worried...

floodcitygirl
09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
They absolutely cannot drop the Bungles game. By Sunday the people in this town will have them going to the SB because they won this week. lol! They will be impossible to live with should the unimaginable happen. They need to stop Odum. The guy went from 2 sacks to 5 yesterday. If he gets ahold of Ben much it could be a really long day for us. I'll be at the game so lets go Steelers! :tt02:

K Train
09-21-2009, 05:56 PM
until ben loses in ohio im gonna assume he cant

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I dont think they will lose this game either. I just dont see this Steelers team with the strong veteran leadership that it has coming back and losing another road game next week especially in the division to the Bengals. With that being said, as I pointed out I know it's early but you do not want to lose this game because as I mentioned above the Ravens are playing the Browns in Baltimore which should put them at 3-0. So a loss to Cincy not only puts you 2 games behind the Ravens in the division going into October but also a game behind the Bengals as well having already lost one head to head tiebraker to them. If the Steelers take care of business this week their schedule really sets up well for them having 3 of the next 4 games at home in October including and back to back games with the Lions and Browns as well which should easily put the Steelers at 5-1...First things first though gotta take care of a very confident pumped up Bengals team in Cincy on Sunday which wont be easy to do...

SteelCityKid5
09-21-2009, 07:25 PM
.....its to early to worry about the damn season, if people predictions were right early on in the season last year the jets or titans would have won the super bowl, the cards wouldnt have smelt the SB, joe flacco woulda had a typical rookie season, the lions wouldnt have gone 0-16... my point here is CALM DOWN.. we easily could have won that game yesterday, it's not like the we got killed... tip: inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale and repeat ... also it's not how you start, its how you finish i.e. 2005 Steelers

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 07:41 PM
.....its to early to worry about the damn season, if people predictions were right early on in the season last year the jets or titans would have won the super bowl, the cards wouldnt have smelt the SB, joe flacco woulda had a typical rookie season, the lions wouldnt have gone 0-16... my point here is CALM DOWN.. we easily could have won that game yesterday, it's not like the we got killed... tip: inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale and repeat ... also it's not how you start, its how you finish i.e. 2005 Steelers

It is a little early to start worrying about it Ill agree but as the old saying goes every game is important especially the division games. My point is you dont want to drop a game to the Bengals early on in the year and slip to 3rd place in the division going into September and 2 games behind the Ravens already who as I mentioned before are probably going to beat Cleveland on Sunday and move to 3-0. Not saying the Steelers cant overcome a 1-2 start and catch the Ravens because they definitely can, but it's just not a position you want to be in closing out the first month of the season. You want to be controlling you own destiny and controlling your own division not looking uphill and chasing the Ravens already 3-4 games into the season. It's why it makes the game in Cincy this coming weekend a little more critical then people want to believe...I dont care what the Bengals did yesterday going into Lambeau Field and winning which was impressive. If the Steelers go into Cincy and lose to the Bengals the same way they lost to the Bears playing sloppy defense in key situations and not finishing drives off once again then they are in trouble and have got problems...

floodcitygirl
09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
It's why it makes the game in Cincy this coming weekend a little more critical then people want to believe...Many people who live elsewhere don't know the rivalry that exists here in Cincy when it comes to the Steelers. They are hated with a passion by many fans. Over the years I have seen this game really treated like their Super Bowl. Can't tell you how many times I've heard "If we can only win one game this season....". Believe me, they'll be pumped for this game.

Stlrs4Life
09-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Way too early, but understand your thoughts. I'm not thinking about losing to them.

Dean Denton
09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
After what Cutler did to the Steeler Def in the second half, I am a little worried about the game in Cincy...Palmer is better then Cutler, with Better weapons. If Cutler can throw for a couple TD's, so can Palmer. Dropping to 1-2 this early is a hole you dont want to be in with the Chargers coming to town. I guess we can go back to that question that was brought up last year....Who's more important to the team Troy or James? I am going to have to say...Troy!!!!!

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
After what Cutler did to the Steeler Def in the second half, I am a little worried about the game in Cincy...Palmer is better then Cutler, with Better weapons. If Cutler can throw for a couple TD's, so can Palmer. Dropping to 1-2 this early is a hole you dont want to be in with the Chargers coming to town. I guess we can go back to that question that was brought up last year....Who's more important to the team Troy or James? I am going to have to say...Troy!!!!!

No you dont want to drop to 1-2 especially with the Ravens potentially moving to 3-0 this week hosting the Browns. I dont think that will happen though and I really believe the Steelers will bounce back in a big way and come up with a win against the Bengals on Sunday. I think the Steelers will be 5-1 going into the Vikings game at the end of October. I expect them to win their next 4 against the Bengals here with the Chargers on Sunday night, at Detroit and here with the Browns...

SteelCityKid5
09-21-2009, 09:46 PM
If you werent worried you wouldnt be using hypotheticals. Chill my man, we're gonna be alright. I'm not worried about a thing. I understand where you're coming from but hey don't even go there in the first place. The Steelers know what were doing, they've shown it in the past and thats why I have faith and or trust in what they do. :yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 10:17 PM
If you werent worried you wouldnt be using hypotheticals. Chill my man, we're gonna be alright. I'm not worried about a thing. I understand where you're coming from but hey don't even go there in the first place. The Steelers know what were doing, they've shown it in the past and thats why I have faith and or trust in what they do. :yellowthumb:

I honestly will not start getting worried unless they lose to the Bengals and do it in similar fashion to the way they lost to the Bears yesterday. If the defense continues to give up long drives and the secondary without Troy continues to get burned, and the offense continues to fall short in short yardage situations then yes you better start to worry a little bit. I dont care what the Bengals did yesterday or how much they have improved from last year on defense there still will be no excuses for the Steelers to not go into Cincy and win this game. If they struggle with the Bengals and lose then there is going to be major cause for concern...

Black@Gold Forever32
09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Ok I have known 43 for some time and he isn't worried....He always has these threads every year and after every game to discuss the season and what the Steelers have to do which is what a message board is for.....I always enjoy these threads and 43 always does a solid job.......

I'm not panic mode by no means since I do think yesterday was just a hiccup but at the same time the Steelers have to handle their business Sunday or they will be in a hole.....

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Ok I have known 43 for some time and he isn't worried....He always has these threads every year and after every game to discuss the season and what the Steelers have to do which is what a message board is for.....I always enjoy these threads and 43 always does a solid job.......

I'm not panic mode by no means since I do think yesterday was just a hiccup but at the same time the Steelers have to handle their business Sunday or they will be in a hole.....

Thanks for the backup there bro appreciate it...I had the pleasure or I should say the displeasure of being in attendance at the Steelers Bears game yesterday and it was very very frustrating to walk out of Solider Field having Bears fans talk **** on you and your girlfriend and my buddy's face. I got over it pretty quickly though had a nice plane ride home this morning about 1150 and by the time we landed I was glad to be back home and started thinking about the Bengals game. I love how Bears fans were walking around town yesterday talking smack acting like they won the ****ing Super Bowl because they won one game in early September. They had their day yesterday but like I told many of them when all is said and done this season the Steelers will be going further then the Chicago Bears will be. It drives me nuts how people all of a sudden also proclaim that the Ravens are now the team to beat in this division just because they are 2-0 and in first place and had a nice win on the road over a very and I mean very overhyped and overrated Chargers team. The Ravens as far as Im concerned have not done anything this season until they knock the Steelers off something they failed to do 3 times last season in 3 chances...

CNY_STEELER_FAN
09-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Up until Clark got hurt, they seemed pretty solid ... I believe he's questionable for next week.

If he can't go, I assume Mundy will be in...

NCSteeler
09-22-2009, 02:33 AM
I think it is very possible that the Rats will be undefeated when we meet. They are very good. Can be had in the passing game, but very good else where.

Tr305
09-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Im sure we will bounce back from the bears loss which im still getting over all in all we own the bengals and im not worried at all. The season is still young in then end we will be atop the division

Ambridge
09-22-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't like the pre-game feel for the Cincy game.
The Bengals go and get a Huge win in Green Bay and the Steelers drop a bad one in Chicago.
IMO....The favorable scenario is definately set for the Bengals.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
The Bengals will also be coming in flying high after their big win which means we need to come in and set them straight. This is a game that they will be using to make a statement about their team, you can bet your last dollar on that. If we let them hang around and hang around it could very well end in disaster again.

I enjoy these threads by 43 as well, we see them every year and he always has good information and insight. He's not in panic mode right now by any means however his point is true that going down by 2 games even in Sept is not a favorable scenario for us to try and climb out of. Our schedule is not the easiest in the world this year regardless of how it looks on paper. We need to to assume that the Ratbirds will beat the Clowns so we absolutely must take care of business this week, no question.

lloydfan4life
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
It drives me nuts how people all of a sudden also proclaim that the Ravens are now the team to beat in this division just because they are 2-0 and in first place and had a nice win on the road over a very and I mean very overhyped and overrated Chargers team. The Ravens as far as Im concerned have not done anything this season until they knock the Steelers off something they failed to do 3 times last season in 3 chances...

No ****, tell me about it! :evilshake:
Talked to a few Ratbird fans yesterday and they're strutting around like they've already won the Lombardi this year. :wtf:
On top of that they're calling us losers. :scratch:
I guess the rest of the season is now cancelled since the rat fans are proclaiming themselves champs. :lol:
No wonder I hate 'em so bad.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2009, 09:46 AM
This is what we go through every year. The media wants the Ratbirds to be the best in the division so as soon as they win a game all of the sudden they the team to beat and the rest of us might as well just go play golf. The season will shake out as each week unfolds but we all knew this was going to happen. Make no mistake about it this game this week is big, going down 2 games in the division is not an ideal situation.

Sir Blitzelot
09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
The Steelers have to make a statement this week, to silence all the doubters out there who are jumping on the Ravens' bandwagon.

Callax
09-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Kill the ratbirds..
WE are the defending SB Champions!!
Until we do not win in FEB or someone else does
WE hold the TOP SPOT!!!
We do what we always done:
knock palmer on his A$$
stop the run and get turnovers
get our head on straight, buckle you chin strap and play hard nosed aggressive knock the snot out of them FOOTBALL!!!!
Benson didn't do diddly poo last year....
and not this year either!!!

Moondog
09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I just want to see the Steelers play with a sense of urgency. It's time they start putting teams away early instead of letting them hang around and around. Nothing would be a better remedy than a face stomping of the Bungles, but yet I have this uneasy gut feeling that the Steelers will be in another dogfight which can go either way. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that but we'll see.....
On another note: so far, the Ravens have taken care of business where the Steelers have not , that's all I can say about that, but it is a long season.

Troyisabeast_43
09-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I think it is very possible that the Rats will be undefeated when we meet. They are very good. Can be had in the passing game, but very good else where.

There is no way they will be undefeated all the way until the end of November it wont happen. The Ravens have found a way to win the first 2 weeks and go to 2-0 but their defense is giving up a ton of yards through the air and a lot of points. And while Flacco and the offense does look better the fact that the defense has taken a step back which I believe they have cancels one another out. They will not go undefeated though unti we see them in November. They still have games at New England, at Minnesota back to back games on the road in the division with the Bengals and Browns which is never easy, and a game with the Colts in Baltimore as well who the Ravens never seem to beat with Peyton Manning. The Ravens will drop a few of those games and the Steelers should be able to stay ahead or keep pace with them until they do meet in late November...

75Steeler
09-22-2009, 05:35 PM
We need to get back to playing the smashmouth brand of football the Steelers are known for. I don't want to see Chad MuchoStinko dancing in the endzone on Sunday. Put him and Palmer down early and often and show the haters why there are 6 Lombardi's in Pittsburgh!

andyg1984
09-25-2009, 02:02 AM
the bengals are not soft ... palmer can attack the deep middle ... i would not write this game off as nothing to be worried about on the road .. this whole ohio thing is bs

floodcitygirl
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
the bengals are not soft ... palmer can attack the deep middle ... i would not write this game off as nothing to be worried about on the road .. this whole ohio thing is bsI agree. I hope the Steelers are taking this game more seriously than some of the fans. The people here in Cincy are pumped.

LatrobePA
09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Right now I can see us getting pounded!

I personally think coach t's pattycake training camp has left us weak and not ready to rumble!

Ben is a stud and will fight to the end. Never thought I'd say this but our D looks SOFT as hell!!

This could be the week to rebound though, we need to be the bullies not the bullied!!

DanRooney
09-25-2009, 04:37 PM

I personally think coach t's pattycake training camp has left us weak and not ready to rumble!

Ben is a stud and will fight to the end. Never thought I'd say this but our D looks SOFT as hell!!

This could be the week to rebound though, we need to be the bullies not the bullied!!

lol wut? Are you serious in thinking we're gonna get pounded by the Bengals? No chance in hell.

LatrobePA
09-25-2009, 04:54 PM
No pass rush this weekend will result in an *** beating. Our corners are not jamming allowing the short dink and dunk play to be dominant.

Face it man our D is crap right now. No LB'r sacks and softass secondary!

Like I said this could be the week and ****** *** team to turn it around on.

Troyisabeast_43
09-25-2009, 09:35 PM
The sacks with Harrison and Woodley are going to come. They are too good to get held down this long. Besides sacks usually come in bunches in one game or in a span of 2-3 games. With the upcoming opponents being the Bengals,Chargers,Lions,and Browns Harrison and Woodley trust me will get their fair share of sacks in each one of those upcoming games. They have had a few good opportunities in both the Titans and the Bears games to get sacks but have just missed for whatever reason. Dont forget Harrison made a great play and had the forced fumble on Forte on the last drive where the Bears kicked the game winning FG. If the Steelers recover that fumble and win the game nobody is talking about how "soft" the Steelers defense looks. One thing the Steelers need to not keep putting up with is Tyrone Carter getting beat continually. He cannot have the same kind of game giving up big plays in the passing game against the Bears and be left in there by Tomlin and Lebeau. They are going to have to give guys like Mundy,or even Deshea or Ratliff chances to play safety if Carter continues to fail and give up big plays and touchdowns...

Captcoolhand
09-26-2009, 09:02 AM
this isn't going to be a cakewalk. Cincy always showed up to play when it comes to the Steelers.:yesnod:

IMO, I think it's going to be a high scoring game, it always is, but i got a bad feeling that if we do get beat, its going to be by a Field Goal or less. Personally, my biggest fear is our O-line being able to stop the rush

Dude487
09-26-2009, 09:57 AM

No pass rush this weekend will result in an *** beating. Our corners are not jamming allowing the short dink and dunk play to be dominant.

Face it man our D is crap right now. No LB'r sacks and softass secondary!

Like I said this could be the week and ****** *** team to turn it around on.

Damn! do you do anything other than complain?

It's been TWO freakin weeks!! yet our defense is soft. right....

LatrobePA
09-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Damn! do you do anything other than complain?

It's been TWO freakin weeks!! yet our defense is soft. right....

F U dude! I call it how I see it! Don't like it, too bad sister!

Soft compared to last year! YES, 43 can't do it all!

Right now the freakin Bungles are leading the league in sacks!

Dude487
09-27-2009, 01:23 AM
F U dude! I call it how I see it! Don't like it, too bad sister!

So the best comeback you can come up with is insulting me. Classy....

Soft compared to last year! YES, 43 can't do it all!

I would never call a team soft after two weeks. but that's just me

Right now the freakin Bungles are leading the league in sacks!

So? the packers had a freakin run blocking guard playing LT. Starks is not joe thomas, but he can handle odom

DanRooney
09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
I hate when the Steelers play 4:15 games...

LatrobePA
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
So the best comeback you can come up with is insulting me. Classy....

I would never call a team soft after two weeks. but that's just me

So? the packers had a freakin run blocking guard playing LT. Starks is not joe thomas, but he can handle odom

Want classy?? B low me bro!

What did I say?

2 weeks in a row and our wonderful D gave the game away again! to the F'N BUNGLES!!!

floodcitygirl
09-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Well I guess nobody is taking the freakin bungles too lightly now. They wanted it and made a way to pull it out in the end. And I thought being a Steeler fan in this city was difficult before. UGGGGHHHHHH!

LatrobePA
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Well I guess nobody is taking the freakin bungles too lightly now. They wanted it and made a way to pull it out in the end. And I thought being a Steeler fan in this city was difficult before. UGGGGHHHHHH!

I called it, I just had a feeling!

Callax
09-28-2009, 02:33 PM
OK we LOST TO THE BUNGLES!!!
Not enough pressure on Palmer
too much zone "D" that allowed palmer to dink and dunk down the field!
Costly pix six by a mixup by ben or holmes
Limus PEED could not keep his hands on a ball that was caught and dropped when he hit the ground!!!
He'll be in the doghouse unless he has a great week of practice!
missed FG by Reed
although a 52 yard kick is no gimme!
In conclusion: we stunk!!!
why did mendenhall not just go down on the final kickoff, which would have saved a few seconds and maybe (if Pitt still had a Timeout)
get in play to MAYBE pickup 30 yards, call T.O. and MAYBE kick a 50 yard FG to tie and go into OT!!!
Tomlin said he was a young guy trying to make a play!
too many little mistakes lead to a loss that should NEVER had happened!!