PDA

View Full Version : When you live on the edge, it will inevitably come back to haunt you

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2009, 07:41 PM
..and today it sure did. This team lives on the edge every single week, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat at any given moment on a Sunday afternoon. Alas today though, missed opportunities after missed opportunities came back to haunt us against a team that we should have beat.

Give credit where it's due, the Bears did zip in the first half but the 2nd half they started moving the ball, making long drives, converting 3rd downs and dodging bullets with Reed's misses to pull out the victory.

I swear this team just drives you nuts, we can't just put teams away and make it easy on ourselves ever! Obviously now is not the time to go crying into the night that the season is over but it's painfully obvious that an average team can certainly beat us at our own game.

Moondog
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM
At least it was a NFC opponent, maybe this loss will kick them in gear.

Forged in Steel
09-20-2009, 07:47 PM
After the first field goal miss, why wouldn't the Steelers just go for it on fourth down instead of attempting another field goal on a wet, slippery field?

Big T
09-20-2009, 07:58 PM
F*ck Jeff Reed

LarryNJ
09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
The Bears did what they had to to win, they deserved it.

You're right you can't live on the edge all the time. They looked very flat on D, I'll call it a let down. They weren't fired up and didn't seem to have that extra step that they so often do. Almost like they were sleeping.

On Offense they have to finish the drives. Holmes had a couple of balss go right thru his hands and Ben had several very bad throws.

Special Teams is what really cost us the game, how many penaltys did we have on SP and of course the 3 missed FG.

The O & D didn't play great but they played well enough to win. The SP just flat out sucked and cost us the game.

After the first field goal miss, why wouldn't the Steelers just go for it on fourth down instead of attempting another field goal on a wet, slippery field?

Because he gets paid to make them, the conditions weren't that bad. The bigger question was the call on 3rd and 2.

BlackGold4vr
09-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Damn!

There goes the UNDEFEATED season!

I am not that upset about this loss.

- First off, our run game showed some signs of life. Essex & Colon were blowing people off the line. I like that!

- Second, if you are going to lose games you want them to be out of the division and out of conference. This was one of the best losses you can have.

- Third, we were very competitive in this game. We just had the bad luck on the field goals. Not gonna grab the pitchfork and come for Jeff Reed because he has also delivered us many wins in the clutch.

- If we spank Cincinnati next week all will be good in Steeler Nation! :yellowthumb:

blackngold29
09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
At least it was a NFC opponent, maybe this loss will kick them in gear.

THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!!!

Anyway, you're exactly right. If you are going to lose games, the ones against NFC opponents are the best ones. Remember how the Eagles killed us (a heck of a lot worse than today's game) week 3 last year?

Bengals next week, they're 1-1 too, division game, we'll be up for it.

Forged in Steel
09-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Why is it that the Bears are always the ones who come back to bight you in the ***?

tuggysteel822
09-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Yeah, the day the Steelers can get a lead and keep building on it, instead of it seems sitting on it, then we'll see them put guys away. It sucks that the Bears were able to comeback and steal this one away in Ben-like fashion.

STEELER 4 LIFE
09-21-2009, 02:45 AM
Every time we win a close game i tell myself its sweeter, but in reality its just a way of deflecting the fact that we do let teams just hang around. We have got to get points in the red zone! I am one of bens biggest fans, but i in reality the way he plays doesn't leave much room for our offense to not score points when we are in position. there is always going to be at least 2 drives killed by big sacks because he won't give up on plays and throw it away. Then there will be at least 1 more drive killed for the same reason, trying to fit the ball in where maybe he should throw it away resulting in a int. but we have won a lot of games because he won't give up on any play. The way he plays doesn't leave room for error by rb's & wr's. A couple crucial drops by the wr's or a fumble by a rb results in at least half our offensive chances ending in nothing.

NCSteeler
09-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Was really looking for a blowout after the first quarter. Every once in a while it would be nice to lay back watch a blowout. The good news is I sleep really well after these games, exhausted after every game and a little depressed after a loss= sleepy sleepy.

Dean Denton
09-21-2009, 04:24 AM
After that first drive I thought we were going to blow them out too. Yes, it would be nice to be able to sit back, get slammed and enjoy a blow out. This winning by three points or less gets my blood up, and then I'm tired too...Come on guys, just kick some ones *** please..

LarryNJ
09-21-2009, 05:15 AM
...Come on guys, just kick some ones *** please..

Sunday will be a great time for that!

steelersbabex25
09-21-2009, 06:24 AM
They're the Steelers..you can't expect them to win every game..thats part of the fun of watching them. They lose games they shouldn't have lost, and they win games they shouldn't have won. Oh well, it's just one game. You let the season play out and if this game turns out to be what shots them in the foot come playoff time, oh well. Not every team does well every year.

SteelFanInIL
09-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Well it's not like I expected us to go undefeated but damn! talk about pissing one away. Reed will bounce :greenbounce2: back . Still a little confused about the play call with 3rd and 2 to go for the end zone??? Thought we should have just tried for the first down:thinking: . I do have to say living near Chicago the Bears fans at the bar we're pretty cool , they could have made me eat sh!t but didn't ...Let's take it to Carson , OchoStinko and the Bungles next week !

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2009, 02:52 PM
..and today it sure did. This team lives on the edge every single week, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat at any given moment on a Sunday afternoon. Alas today though, missed opportunities after missed opportunities came back to haunt us against a team that we should have beat.

Give credit where it's due, the Bears did zip in the first half but the 2nd half they started moving the ball, making long drives, converting 3rd downs and dodging bullets with Reed's misses to pull out the victory.

I swear this team just drives you nuts, we can't just put teams away and make it easy on ourselves ever! Obviously now is not the time to go crying into the night that the season is over but it's painfully obvious that an average team can certainly beat us at our own game.

Definitely a frustrating loss for sure but keep in mind Tomlin in his first 3 seasons as Steelers coach has lost in September each time and each time it was to an NFC team. So if youre going to lose a game that's the one to lose because it will not mean anything in tiebrakers down the line. It was just one of those games where the defense just didnt have the magic and the offense continued to struggle on the 3rd and short situations. The Steelers have now scored 27 points in 2 games only the Skins and Browns have scored less then them after two weeks not counting tonight's game with the Colts and Dolphins. This offense has to do a better job of finishing off drives and putting the ball in the end zone it's as simple as that...

HUNT4SEVEN
09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=BlackGold4vr;307277]Damn!

There goes the UNDEFEATED season!

I am not that upset about this loss.

- First off, our run game showed some signs of life. Essex & Colon were blowing people off the line. I like that!

- Second, if you are going to lose games you want them to be out of the division and out of conference. This was one of the best losses you can have.

- Third, we were very competitive in this game. We just had the bad luck on the field goals. Not gonna grab the pitchfork and come for Jeff Reed because he has also delivered us many wins in the clutch.

Well said my friend, But i think Reed blew the game for us IMO, anyway i 'm glad we lost this week because when we play the Buttholes( bengals) an the Clowns we seem to lose focus IMO, so know we can come back focus this week an smash the Buttholes as my daughter calls them:lol:

Moondog
09-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Live by the edge, Die by the edge.

Zachintosh66
09-22-2009, 12:15 PM
In all fairness to Reed... hes made more of those kicks than hes missed

but 2 was hard to swallow in the 4th