PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good interview with BA

$teelersRule
09-18-2009, 08:29 AM
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/blog?id=3507954

Thursday is coordinator day, and offensive playcaller Bruce Arians was informative as always. Here's what B.A. had to say on a number of topics:

On the offensive line handling criticism:

If they're still thinking about last week we're in trouble. It's going to be a tough game this week, especially with the crowd noise.

On how Chicago's defensive line compares to Tennessee's:

Very, very similar. Big, strong, active, same style. The front four themselves, as good or better. They're all in jet stances, just like Tennessee was. They don't read anything. They're going to stop the run on the way to the quarterback. There's a lot of things they can do penetration wise that disrupts the running game. And when you throw in the crowd noise and not being able to use a count, it's very hard. You've got to rely on your passing game to bail you out, and not get caught up statistics just the scoreboard.

On Willie Colon's matchup with Chicago DE Adewale Ogunleye:

Willie's got his hands full, and he knows it. I trust he'll do a good job. He's [Ogunleye] very similar to Kearse, a little stronger. He'll play physical which is Willie's style. I look for Willie to have a really good ballgame and bounce back really well. They've got good depth, too& Anderson and those guys are really good. They don't do a lot of things; they're very subtle in their changes defensively. They started pressuring a lot last year, they're kind of copying Philadelphia's scheme, and they got after Green Bay very well with it.

On the Steelers plan with their running backs:

We definitely have a plan. Rashard's going to take the third series, and any time Willie [Parker] gets tired he'll come out. If we get into a very long no-huddle mode Mewelde is the no-huddle guy. In short yardage, whoever is in the game.

On the no-huddle offense:

That package has tripled in size now. It's damn near the whole offense. We worked a lot in the spring and in training camp with more than just 3 wides, with that two tight end one back package, so it's evolved so he can use almost 80% of the playbook in it. And he's gotten very proficient at it. A lot of times I've had quarterbacks who could play that fast and the other 10 guys couldn't. The other 10 guys are playing at the same speed he is playing at in the no-huddle which makes it work. We've got two play callers basically. I allow him to call the plays in that situation 'cause he's out there and he knows what we're looking for. He's got the menu and he runs with it. So you've got two play-callers to defend myself and him and that helps.

Why they don't use the no-huddle all game:

Well we're not Buffalo. [Laughs]. We're not the K-Gun of Jim Kelly. But we could be. We could be very easily. We still want to maintain some Steeler football, and try to do some more things. I think you have to have all of them, you really have to have everything. When you go back and study the K-Gun sometimes their inefficiencies in short yardage and goal line hurt them, because I was playing against them a couple times. My biggest concern with the ballgame last week and going into this week is short yardage and goal line.

On what makes the no-huddle so successful:

When you spread the field it's a lot easier to see it. And you've got more weapons on the field, you've got five receivers and you can still run the ball. All five of our guys are very proficient in playing, so we've got matchup problems for people.

On short yardage problems:

We're 21% on 3rd downs, we missed three 3rd and 1s, and our goal is to be 48%. But we want to be 100% in short yardage. It wasn't as easy as just to fire [replace] a guy. Last year Gary Russell found that niche. Maybe a guy will find that niche, but I'd like to have all of us find that niche and not get stuck on 3rd and 1.

On Frank Summers:

No, Frankie did alright. He did fine. He dove up in there on one when his guy was way inside. But overall for what we asked him to do he did fine.

:popcorn:

SteelCityKid5
09-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Well we're not Buffalo. [Laughs]. We're not the K-Gun of Jim Kelly. But we could be. We could be very easily. We still want to maintain some Steeler football, and try to do some more things. I think you have to have all of them, you really have to have everything. When you go back and study the K-Gun sometimes their inefficiencies in short yardage and goal line hurt them, because I was playing against them a couple times. My biggest concern with the ballgame last week and going into this week is short yardage and goal line.

I wonder how long his nose grew when he said that hmmmm :thinking:

LatrobePA
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
An even better interview would be BA and another team! His play calling is lousy at best at times!

KemoTherapy
09-18-2009, 01:55 PM
"Frankie did alright" ??. Was he watching the same game that I was ?. Didn't know that whiffing on blocks was alright.

yinzer
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
i'm probably one of the biggest arians haters there is but i think i've come to terms with the fact that he's hard-headed and isn't going to change. Ben loves him. he's not going anywhere.

happy ben=happy me

HUNT4SEVEN
09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
An even better interview would be BA and another team! His play calling is lousy at best at times!

Thank you:yellowthumb: Bruce SUCKS