PDA

View Full Version : Bettis slams Steelers OL

greennick
09-15-2009, 12:48 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/09/14/bus.stops/index.html

Bus Stops: Fox's job in jeopardy; Steelers defense in big trouble

Key part:

2. Steelers' Super Bowl hopes took a big blow in Week 1. On Thursday night the Steelers went from being a great defense to merely a good defense in just one play against the Titans. You simply can't replace a player like Troy Polamalu, and we all saw the Steelers give up some big plays right away after he left with a knee injury. When he's healthy, Troy's all over the field. Before he left that game it seemed his name was being called every play: Troy on a tackle, Troy on an interception, Troy with a penalty. Whatever happened, he was involved. But without him in the game, the field becomes a lot bigger and more exposed.

People will say, "Well, they still have James Harrison and Casey Hampton and so on..." Irrelevant. Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker. Sure, James Harrison gets after the QB. But Troy is all over the field. He can change the outcome of a game in one play. Without him, this becomes a good defense with a very ordinary secondary.

Now, here's what worries me: I've had an MCL injury and the thing it affects the most is the lateral movement. Sure, you can run straight lines. But when you have to go left and right it becomes a problem. If you've ever watched Troy, you know he's so unpredictable in how he moves -- all over the place. An MCL could be a bigger problem for a guy who moves like that. I expect to see him out on the longer side of the projected three to six weeks. If it goes longer, could they win another Super Bowl without him? I don't think so.

3. One more reason Pittsburgh's in trouble: these Steelers are a mediocre running team on their best day. I don't think they've reached a panic situation quite yet because the Titans don't allow anyone to run the football on them. But there are serious problems.

Willie Parker: I haven't seen much from him. Rashard Mendenhall: I haven't really seen him, period. One thing I have seen is Mewelde Moore making plays. And I think the little guy's going to get more of those opportunities as the Steelers continue to grow into what I think will be more of a passing team in 2009.

The running back I like least on that team is Frank Summers, the rookie fullback. He doesn't seem to understand what's going on. He's missing plenty of blocks, and that's affecting everything. That definitely has to be addressed off the field this week.

The bigger problem, though, is the offensive line. They have no continuity. On top of not being able to protect Ben Roethlisberger, they're letting running backs get hit before they reach the line of scrimmage. There's not a lot any back can do in that situation.

This problem isn't anything new, and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason. How did they rationalize not doing anything about it? Well, they won a Super Bowl. They won't be so lucky twice in a row. If Ben continues to get hit the way he did Thursday -- the same way he did last year, then this will come back to haunt the Steelers. Ben will get hurt. Ben will miss games. And they don't have a line to run behind without Ben. Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this.

--- Added 9/14/2009 at 10:48 PM ---

He certainly has some very good points there, even if he is not making any friends at Heinz Field!

1. Our defense will be significantly worse without Troy, on both pass and run D.
2. Our backs have been ineffective at best and Moore is our most effective back.
3. Summers was rubbish at blocking.
4. And the OL really needs to step up. But is it in them? Or should we have made some moves in the off season. I guess we'll see on that one...

All true!

Troyisabeast_43
09-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Im not going to rip Jerome Bettis because he is one of the greatest Steelers of all-time and helped the Steelers finally get the one for the thumb back in 05. He is entitled to his opinion like everybody else is. I think he is overreacting in a lot of what he says about the Steelers especially after one game. We have heard the last few years that Ben cannot get hit like this and last the year and they cant win without a dominating running game and blah blah blah and they still find ways to manage to win games. The Troy injury while it is not a good thing it's by no means devistating. Troy will be back hopefully by late October and playing at a high level come late November and in December when it really matters...

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Troy when he as the top of his game is a huge loss no doubt....But there is some serious talent still on this defense and we still have LeBeau calling the defense.........I'm sure the Steelers won't miss a beat without Troy....6-2 lifetime without Troy Polamalu........

Ben can withstand the hits.....He has been doing it for the last three years....Plus the pass protection was better against the Titans...two of the four sacks was Ben's fault.....I'm more concerned with the run blocking then the pass protection at the moment.....

Bus I love you but shut the hell up.....I know you're not trying to be a homer....lol

greennick
09-15-2009, 01:02 AM
PFT's take on it:

Jerome Bettis, whose NBC gig ended after the 2008 season, is now writing for SI.com.

And his debut column will raise some eyebrows in the 'Burgh.

Bettis explains -- accurately, we might add -- that the biggest flaw with the Steelers is their offensive line.

"This problem isn't anything new," Bettis says, "and I blame the coaching staff for not addressing the line in the offseason. How did they rationalize not doing anything about it? Well, they won a Super Bowl. They won't be so lucky twice in a row. If Ben [Roethlisberger] continues to get hit the way he did Thursday -- the same way he did last year, then this will come back to haunt the Steelers. Ben will get hurt. Ben will miss games. And they don't have a line to run behind without Ben. Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this."

Bettis also echoes our recent item regarding the possibility that Mewelde Moore will leapfrog Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall on the depth chart.

Though the league source who pointed Bettis' column out to us thinks that Bettis will be required to tone it down soon, that directive surely won't come from SI.com. Instead, Bettis will have to decide whether he wants to continue to be a beloved alumnus of the Steelers organization, or whether he wants to be objective.

Then again, Bettis made waves three years ago by accurately exposing the fact that coach Bill Cowher would be packing it in after the 2006 season, a belief that was an open secret among the folks who cover the team, but it was treated by the beat writers with the discretion that once was afforded to politicians who engaged in periodic peccadillos.

Meanwhile, we agree whole-heartedly with Jerome's five other takes in the wake of Week One.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/14/bettis-gets-blunt-about-the-steelers/

DanRooney
09-15-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't understand what Bettis said wrong. Everything he said is what most of us have been saying for a long time, but in a more generous way.

1. O-line is the worst in the league
2. Willie Parker is done
3. Mendenhall is not getting enough carries for a first round pick
4. Moore is our best back
5. Troy's injury will hurt our pass defense

popstaala
09-15-2009, 03:46 AM
i totally agree with everythhing he said except for the part where "Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this"... we did it last year with the toughest schedule ever since adam and eve.... now we got a nice and easy schedule... i think repeat is very likely

K Train
09-15-2009, 04:41 AM
i disagree about troy...timmons can be all over the field when he comes back hopefully this week and the defense is alot more disciplined without troy....without him we have several shutouts, or only allowing 3 point games

Steel Trap86
09-15-2009, 05:15 AM
I agree with the guy, Willie Parker up the middle is about as useless as a torn condom with this o-line, polamolu is the backbone of this D, that was a game changing interception he made in the first quarter and was knockin' c johnson off his feet, no way carter measures up. Ben is still getting hit way too often, who wants to see there quarterback get banged out against rival teams like that!?!, even if he is solid he should have a brickhouse up front for the money he's worth!

the next few weeks are going to be interesting!

SteelCityKid5
09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Good, Bettis is doing his job. I'd be upset if he came out and sugar coated everything for the Steelers. Sometimes the truth hurts.

cmerrifield
09-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I agree with Train, Timmons will help the absence of Troy in ways that Foote never could, however, that will stop LeBeau from being able to blitz him very much. I am not as hard on the Oline as Bettis, I was watching NFL games this weekend and counting how long the QB had in the pocket, and Big Ben had as much time to throw as other QB's on most of the plays. The line is improving and will continue to get better. It will get easier to run, as teams continue to learn and realize that Ben can throw for 300+ yards and the Steelers still win, this has not always been the case.

LarryNJ
09-15-2009, 08:33 AM
The bus sucked on NBC..and he sucks as a writer.."Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker"..ok Jerome...whatever you say.... he should stick to selling beer and cheeseburgers.

Sir Blitzelot
09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Even though some of his words were critical of the team, there is nothing that Jerome said that I don't agree with.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Bettis is jumping on the media bandwagon, he's not telling us anything that we don't already know. Use some common sense dude though, jeebus!

Troy being out for a few weeks will suck but it's not like we'll be the worst defense ever now. We've got enough playmakers to pick up the slack for now. He will be missed, there is no doubt. you can't replace a Troy in the secondary. Of course the defense went sideways when Troy left the field but they pulled it together in the 2nd half and they'll work around it in the coming weeks till he comes back. You don't just lose a player like Troy and not miss a step at first till you adjust!

Ben always takes hits, he took them in the SBXL year and he's been taking them since, he always will and he knows it. The best OL in the world won't keep Ben upright forever. Lineman can't hold their blocks for 7-8 seconds play after play no matter how good they are.

Parker & Mendenhall, yeah Parker hasn't done jack yet and Mendy got only a couple carries. That has to improve, totally agree there.

For God sakes it's only week 1 and he's already written us off...we love you Bus, you're a legend in Pittsburgh and we all owe you a great deal but seriously man, use your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LatrobePA
09-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Bettis is fine. He's just trying to put some fire into their bellies headed into this game.

First game jitters, none of the SB contenders looked good week 1.

memphissteelergirl
09-15-2009, 10:00 AM
There is a lot of truth in what Bus is saying, but to say our SB hopes have gone out the window with Troy out is perhaps a tad much. But I am not gonna trash him, he is an analyst now. Heck, Woodson sometimes isn't very favoable in his views on us either. But they are both still two of the best to wear the Black and Gold. :tt02:

HeartnSeoul86
09-15-2009, 10:39 AM
JB is only doing what he gets paid to do now, he's not part of the team anymore. He has to call it like he sees it now. Some of you will bash him for not being a homer, but after week one can you argue with some of the things he's said? I don't agree with everything JB is saying, especially about repeating as SB Champs, but he was once a player and he does no what it takes to win a championship.:2cents:

BR7
09-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Thought Tim Lumber got that SI gig...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2009, 11:18 AM
This isn't about us wanting Jerome to be a homer for the Steelers..it's about him rising above the media crap that all of them say all the time. He being a former player should know full well you can't go ape **** on a team after the first game, especially a team like the Steelers that tends to live on the edge more often than not.

This ain't the Steelers of the Bus days where we just lined up and ran it down your throat. This team is going to have to use different methods of running the ball, that's just how it has to be. This team passes a lot more now and if we need to use the pass to set up the run then so be it. Use the run game in the no huddle, use it out of the spread formation, use it out of the bunch formation to the right or left, whatever but lining up in 2 TE and trying to smash it in is not going to work with this team until Tomlin and Colbert get us some real lineman.

lloydfan4life
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Thought Tim Lumber got that SI gig...

:lol: I did too..... until I noticed correct spelling and sentence structure!

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-15-2009, 12:37 PM
He just calling it like he sees it,pure and simple. Ya know what they say about opinions...
I mean the onyl thing he said that seems a bit far fetched is us repeating,but we all know how hard that is... It is just week one after all.

TampaSteelGirl
09-15-2009, 01:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/09/14/bus.stops/index.html

Bus Stops: Fox's job in jeopardy; Steelers defense in big trouble

Key part:

--- Added 9/14/2009 at 10:48 PM ---

He certainly has some very good points there, even if he is not making any friends at Heinz Field!

1. Our defense will be significantly worse without Troy, on both pass and run D.
2. Our backs have been ineffective at best and Moore is our most effective back.
3. Summers was rubbish at blocking.
4. And the OL really needs to step up. But is it in them? Or should we have made some moves in the off season. I guess we'll see on that one...

All true!

I agree with everything Jerome is saying, these are legitmate concerns and it's not like it takes a rocket scientist to see that. The line has been an issue for awhile, we have not had a SOLID O line in years, yea we won the Superbowl with this Oline but it's ok, it's very off and on and agreed Ben can not keep getting hit this way! Usually I get mad when he busts on the Steelers but he is right on every point of this article. It takes 2 men to replace Troy seriously.....We still have issues that need to be addressed!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2009, 01:56 PM
At this point it seems unlikely that our Steelers will ever be the Steelers of old like the Vikings are now for example. They've got the big, talented, line and the running back that can do it. We have neither right now so we have to rely on our strengths which is the passing game and play action to make our run game go.

The media and even us fans still get stuck in the mindset that if you aren't like the old Steelers then you must suck and there's no way you can win. In a perfect world you want to be able to line up and 3rd and short and make that 1st down most of the time but that is not how are right now. Things may change and I hope to God they do, but this line has a lot of improving to do in the run blocking dept and the backs need to get in gear before that happens.

Zachintosh66
09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Bettis has said everything we have been thinking and saying... none of this should be a shock to anyone.

Hopefully Troy comes back close to 100%. Hopefully Ben stays healthy. Hopefully the OL comes together and we find a RB with some desire, who ever that may be.

Blazedby92
09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
It hurts to here a Steeler down on his old team but he is just doing his job now and just like any analyst you sift through the BS. Listen to teddy on his old patriots mates,:banging:

Danger DANJ
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
The bus sucked on NBC..and he sucks as a writer.."Troy's really the only guy on this defense that I see as a full playmaker"..ok Jerome...whatever you say.... he should stick to selling beer and cheeseburgers.

That comment from Jerome is the only thing he said that really bothers me. Does he know the players on our defense? Without Troy our secondary isn't so great anymore, but the D still has plenty of playmakers and will still be a top 5 defense.

TampaSteelGirl
09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
It hurts to here a Steeler down on his old team but he is just doing his job now and just like any analyst you sift through the BS. Listen to teddy on his old patriots mates,:banging:

Exactly! :yellowthumb: We sure wouldnt' want him sugar coatin it just to be nice. HOpefully Tomlin is hearing some of this...

--- Added 9/15/2009 at 02:32 PM ---

That comment from Jerome is the only thing he said that really bothers me. Does he know the players on our defense? Without Troy our secondary isn't so great anymore, but the D still has plenty of playmakers and will still be a top 5 defense.

Well during the Titans game he was pretty much right on there...

greennick
09-15-2009, 08:03 PM
i disagree about troy...timmons can be all over the field when he comes back hopefully this week and the defense is alot more disciplined without troy....without him we have several shutouts, or only allowing 3 point games

What do you mean you disagree? You think you CAN replace a player like Troy?? There is only one guy that come close to replacing Troy and I don't think we can borrow him from Baltimore for the next 3-6 weeks. Lucky our schedule is not the toughest offensively over the next few weeks. SD in 3 weeks time will be the real test...

--- Added 9/15/2009 at 06:03 PM ---

Whilst I agree that we have many other players that are playmakers, I think it is fair to say that none are as complete at doing it as Troy is.

K Train
09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
weve played without troy before....when he went out we were a little shaky but with 10 days to prepare we have guys who can step up nicely until hes 100%

they will have to play more fundementally sound, but they can do it. i know you guys LOVE troy and the sky is falling without him, but this could be worse....this defense doesnt depend on the safety, no matter how good he is

greennick
09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
weve played without troy before....when he went out we were a little shaky but with 10 days to prepare we have guys who can step up nicely until hes 100%

they will have to play more fundementally sound, but they can do it. i know you guys LOVE troy and the sky is falling without him, but this could be worse....this defense doesnt depend on the safety, no matter how good he is

Hey, I know we can definitely play without Troy, particularly for the next few weeks against these weak sides. But lets not kid ourselves that he won't be missed! The guy is a beast. What did he have, something like 10 tackles and an interception before he got injured?? Most safeties don't get that in a whole game!

We will prevail though. We did last year with the injuries we had and we will do so again. The thing about the Steelers D is there is talent all across the park and decent back-ups to come in (as we saw with Fox last week), so they can cover for the loss of one or two.

andyg1984
09-15-2009, 11:46 PM
if ben went down it is ridiculously more serious .. what worries me is that it is almost getting difficult to even picture us being consistently effective running the ball w/in 3 years .. bus was right to point out the fact that this issue is not being addressed

Dean Denton
09-16-2009, 06:34 AM
i totally agree with everythhing he said except for the part where "Pittsburgh can't repeat with the line playing like this"... we did it last year with the toughest schedule ever since adam and eve.... now we got a nice and easy schedule... i think repeat is very likely This schedule does not seem easy at all. The Bears game is going to be like the Titans game because we cant run. The Packers and the Viking are going to be tough, we still have the Ravens twice, the Chargers. We are in Mile High on my birthday, we get the Raiders who looked better then they have in 5 years, and KC made big plays agianst the Ravens...24 points... No, this schedule looks to be loaded with teams that are on their way to the playoffs this year, not the year before....Plus, if we make the playoffs, teams like the Titans, Colts, and Pats could be sittin there waiting on us. Not to mention we are the hunted this year.....I think the Steelers are screwed if they dont find a running game.....

TampaSteelGirl
09-16-2009, 10:41 AM
This schedule does not seem easy at all. The Bears game is going to be like the Titans game because we cant run. The Packers and the Viking are going to be tough, we still have the Ravens twice, the Chargers. We are in Mile High on my birthday, we get the Raiders who looked better then they have in 5 years, and KC made big plays agianst the Ravens...24 points... No, this schedule looks to be loaded with teams that are on their way to the playoffs this year, not the year before....Plus, if we make the playoffs, teams like the Titans, Colts, and Pats could be sittin there waiting on us. Not to mention we are the hunted this year.....I think the Steelers are screwed if they dont find a running game.....

I agree here Dean...this schedule may have been cake last year but the teams this year look better. Hell even Detroit looks good, they've been putting points on the board. Even though the Saints beat them good, the Lions still put up 27 points on the board. We can't take ONE game for granted this year, we will have to fight as hard as we did last year. But in all seriousness is the Bus really wrong??

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2009, 11:16 AM
The bears don't have near the offensive firepower or talent that the Titans do so worrying about how great they will be on offense is not a huge concern. The Steelers always seem to take **** down to the wire though so it's not going to be a cakewalk by any stretch.

Let's not get all crazy here people, it's only week 2 coming up, every team looks like they may have improved in one way or another. Things will settle down more over the first month and then we'll see who's starting to emerge as a decent team and who is going to fall apart again.

LatrobePA
09-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Bettis is trying to fire the team up....They'll come out swing'n!

LarryNJ
09-16-2009, 11:47 AM
The bears don't have near the offensive firepower or talent that the Titans do so worrying about how great they will be on offense is not a huge concern. The Steelers always seem to take **** down to the wire though so it's not going to be a cakewalk by any stretch.

Let's not get all crazy here people, it's only week 2 coming up, every team looks like they may have improved in one way or another. Things will settle down more over the first month and then we'll see who's starting to emerge as a decent team and who is going to fall apart again.

:plus1: I agree with that..except for the Bungals and Browns they look the same! :lol:

Bettis is trying to fire the team up....

I take it as Bettis saying they haven't had a running game since ummm who was it that left? No. 36? We all have said the same thing about the OL..and he's totally wrong about the D so just STFU Jerome!

LatrobePA
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I just read that B4 JB posted this he "slammed" 6 BK Whoppers!

Dean Denton
09-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Let's not get all crazy here people, it's only week 2 coming up, every team looks like they may have improved in one way or another. Things will settle down more over the first month and then we'll see who's starting to emerge as a decent team and who is going to fall apart again. True its only week 2, but we didn't really look all that explosive either. Ben looked sexy, and so did the Def, but the Bears looked good on Def too. Were going into their house and you know they want this win. We are going to see a great Bears team, and they can score as easy as we can on Def...Lets just hope we get in the head of Cutler early and force some turnovers...

Woodson_DownUnder
09-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Bettis is trying to fire the team up....They'll come out swing'n!

So True LatrobePA. :yellowthumb:

That's another 'positive way' of appreciating his coments. Other media folk couldn't be bothered pointing this out and even though the O-line has been the weak link, it certainly didn't break in the Championship winning final drive of SB XLIII, which is just putting things back in perspective of having the team play for each other.

FSryan
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Check out this Interview with Jerome Bettis on the Football Expert, he talks about life after Football and the Department of Fandemonium Contest on Monster. This is a contest I am helping promote, take a look.

http://thefootballexpert.com/jeromebettisinterview090001.html