PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to use "Wishbone" Offense?

Stlrs4Life
09-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Arians has already scrapped the Wildcat package from his playbook because he thinks defenses have caught on how to stop it. And he said he has given up on the notion of using Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall in the same backfield because there would be concerns about which player would be the lead blocker-- something he talked about last season after Mendenhall was drafted with the first pick.

But Arians unveiled a new backfield package against the Titans that he calls "Bone," a reference to the old Wishbone formation popularized by the Oklahoma Sooners.

The formation has three players behind Ben Roethlisberger-- 250-pound fullback Frank Summers and 265-pound tight end David Johnson as dual lead blockers and Parker as the runner. He used it for only one play and it failed to gain a yard, but the formation is designed for short-yardage situations.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09255...#ixzz0R7pma8Qx (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09255/997485-66.stm#ixzz0R7pma8Qx)

Big T
09-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Whatever helps the short-yardage game

DanRooney
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Pony-backfield is already done with because it was a terrible idea in the first place.

JensK
09-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Packers use it from time to time and it seems to work alright for them, but i really don't think Steelers got the team right now to use it..

popstaala
09-15-2009, 02:22 AM
Arians should stop thinking running... wishbone.. wildcat... T formation... whatever formation... we still cant run.... we gotta spread the field with 4 wideouts and hit them with draws

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Having that package in is a sure fire give away that it's going to be a run so every available defender is going to stack the line to stop it. If you're going to do that then you have to be creative and not just have Willie run up behind the 2 of them going right up the middle. The main problem here is that our OL does not get a push in the run game so consequently things bottle up right from the get go and the back has no chance to get going. Until our guys get a push and open up holes we're going to struggle no matter what.

LatrobePA
09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Wishbone = PeeWee football at it's finest! Come on BA!!

Zachintosh66
09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I feel like this...
if were going to run the ball, FWP should be in there. but can he stay healthy?
if were going to be a 40 pass att a game team, Moore should be in there.

i dont think Medenhall has looked "comfortable" out there yet IMO

At some point during the season a RB will get banged up and Redman will prolly get his shot at short yardage. Im not sold yet b/c I havent seen him do it against #1s. I know some will say he did it against our #1 in TC on the goal line. But Tomlin didnt put him as active yet for a reason. Maybe "tank" is a better ST'er than Redman. Or DJ is more versitle than Redman.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I just don't understand this logic of not putting in Mendenhall. I mean seriously the kid is a 1st round pick, you know he's good but you can't just put him in for spot duty and yank him and expect him to get better. This team has a problem right now, who is the main guy going to be? Parker can't stay healthy for a whole season and Mendenhall hasn't had the chance to play so we don't really know is the best anymore.

If I'm Arians, I've got Mendenhall out there every series helping him get reps and learning to play in game time situations when the pressure is on. RB's are the type of players that you have to get into the flow of the game, you can't expect them to come in cold and start producing right away.

As for Parker, use him to spell Mendenhall for the time being, if he starts to fail then Parker is right there to pick up the slack but you can't wait around forever to do it. It's a tough call but this ain't pee wee "make ur kid happy so he doesn't cry", this is the NFL and you've got a #1 pick, so use him already!

cmerrifield
09-15-2009, 02:00 PM
The only time I would like to see the wishbone in short yardage, is right before 2 of the backfield guys go out wide before the snap. I think our best shot at 3rd and short is 3 and 4 reciever sets with Wallace and Sweed so that the safeties have to stay back and respect the long ball.

ejsteeler
09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Redzone Redman would help the short yardage game........Parker needs to quit dancing and hit the holes. Mendenhall needs, hell I don't know what he needs.
Of course all is moot if the line does not improve.

LatrobePA
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Parker admitted to being afraid of getting hit due to the lack of play in the PS.

JensK
09-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Redzone Redman would help the short yardage game........Parker needs to quit dancing and hit the holes. Mendenhall needs, hell I don't know what he needs.
Of course all is moot if the line does not improve.

What Mendenhall need is a little playing time... He wont do anything if he don't have the ball

NCSteeler
09-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Only good way to make this package work is to have all three backfield guys able to go out for passes. I can see bringing in the big guys the D switches up and then motion them all out of the backfield.

SteelerFan87
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Bruce Arians is retarded. Thank God for Ben's last minute drives and our defense last year, or we wouldn't have won the SB.

ToothAche
09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Arians should stop thinking running... wishbone.. wildcat... T formation... whatever formation... we still cant run.... we gotta spread the field with 4 wideouts and hit them with draws

I totally agree.