PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need to start using the pass to set up the run...

Troyisabeast_43
09-14-2009, 12:46 AM
When the Steelers run the base offense, everyone is close to the ball, including WRs.....2 TEs, Ward usually in tight. This brings defenders in tight as well. It always looks like there are 15 guys in the box whenever the Steelers are in traditional formations. Not only does this help to stop the running game, it makes pass protection unpredictable. Three of the four sacks were by unblocked rushers - the Steelers OL was not over powered but confused about who to block.

On the other hand, when the Steelers spread it out with 3/4 WR and shotgun, defenders are forced out of the box. This makes it harder for the defense to disguise the blitz and makes potential blitzers have to run further to get to the QB. This is why the Titans stopped blitzing on Thursday night. It's the same thing that the Patriots do to the Steelers defense - spread 'um out, get LBs off the field and force them to rush 4.

For some reason, though, the Steelers insist on trying to run a traditional base offense. I truely believe this is Mike Tomlin's influence. He came in here saying 'I'm a run the ball, stop the run' kind of coach. He is hand cuffing this offense by forcing them to try to 'establish the run' despite the fact that its not working, the Steelers don't have the personel to make it work and hoards research suggests that this is the wrong approach to football under the current rules.

It's maddening. That's why I laugh at 'put in a FB, run out of the power-I, smashmouth crowd' around here. It's totally opposite what the Steelers need to do to be a competent offense. The Steelers simply don't have the OL to line up and play smashmouth. Even a true FB and Isaac Redman won't solve this problem.

Having said that, I am not suggesting that the Steelers throw it 90% of the time. Balance is still needed. I just think the Steelers need to run and throw out of spread formations most of the time to be successful. Ben is more comfortable, as is Mendenhall, Moore (not sure about Parker) and the OL. It just seems like the Steelers coaches don't have the guts to go to it full-time.

SteelerSteve
09-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I just read the title and I have to say, I completely agree, however I do think we need to see how our run game fairs in the next couple of games when our offense is ran the traditional way, steeler style. After all, that was the first game of the season, but our run game was just awful.

Big T
09-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Agree but I do think the running game will once again be almost non-existent next weekend against the bears. It's goin to be a tough outing but if we can spread them out, we have a good chance of winning.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2009, 09:03 AM
The coaches are hell bent on this whole traditional run game philosphy that just does not work right now. Our line can't just line up a hat on a hat in a 2 TE set and ram it down your throat, we don't have that makeup in this unit anymore. This is a team that can throw and throw often and mix in the run enough to keep defenses honest. Until we get back to that old way of running, if we ever do, they have to stop shooting themselves in the foot and just do what we do and run with it.

You still have to run the ball but you have to be more creative about it now.

steelers4life66
09-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Agree but I do think the running game will once again be almost non-existent next weekend against the bears. It's goin to be a tough outing but if we can spread them out, we have a good chance of winning.

It won't B as tough as Thursday but your right. The Bears D look good. Cutler just stunk up the place.

Troyisabeast_43
09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
With Urlacher out now it should make running the ball a little bit more easier, but at the sametime as I pointed out in my other posts the Bears pass defense and secondary is among the worst in the National Football League so the Steelers need to go into Chicago with the idea of using the spread offense and the no huddle. They should be able to exploit the Bears secondary if they use it enough especially over the middle with Heath Miller with a player like Urlacher not being in there...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
The idea of using the no huddle is an idea not used near enough for this team. Arians only breaks it out when the team is stagnant, losing, etc. When do we ever see it just because? Use that no huddle at various times of the game regardless of the score, it keeps defenses on their toes and keeps them from crowding the line and being able to substitute.

We saw it in week 1 and we drove right down the field only to stall out once we huddled up. If you're in the no huddle, stay in it and go down for the score. There's no reason we shouldn't beat chicago this coming weekend, period, so this team needs to come out ready to play and put this game out of reach.

LatrobePA
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
While scoring is great in the NH it doesn't allow our mad men on D time to rest. With the amount of running around and diffrent looks they need bench time.

I like the NH and agree it should be used at random times not when your sucking!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-14-2009, 05:11 PM
These were my thoughts exactly and even discussed this after the Titans game....The Steelers need to turn into the Pats especially the 2003 Pats.....Spread teams out and throw the damn ball all over the field.....Then use the run as a change of pace......The Steelers have enough weapons to do this......

Troyisabeast_43
09-14-2009, 05:21 PM
The idea of using the no huddle is an idea not used near enough for this team. Arians only breaks it out when the team is stagnant, losing, etc. When do we ever see it just because? Use that no huddle at various times of the game regardless of the score, it keeps defenses on their toes and keeps them from crowding the line and being able to substitute.

We saw it in week 1 and we drove right down the field only to stall out once we huddled up. If you're in the no huddle, stay in it and go down for the score. There's no reason we shouldn't beat chicago this coming weekend, period, so this team needs to come out ready to play and put this game out of reach.

Im with you TG they need to go to the no huddle often not just when they are behind or need a spark of some sort. The bottom line is it works for this type of offense that Arians likes to run. Ben does a nice job of executing with it as well and seems very comfortable in doing so. But as you also said whether the Steelers run the no-huddle or not there is absolutely no reason at all they should not win this football in Chicago this weekend especially now with the Bears defense not having Urlacher. While I dont expect the Steelers to go into Chicago and blow the Bears out I do think it will be a close game early on and then the Steelers by the 3rd and 4th quarter should be able to get a pretty comfortable lead,force Cutler into making a lot of mistakes and put the game away...

HUNT4SEVEN
09-14-2009, 06:56 PM
We don't have to use the NH, we could just open up with the dink an dunk game, our defense would have the rest it needs, an it would open up the delay an draws play for our running game! IMO.

LarryNJ
09-14-2009, 08:46 PM
When they are in the no huddle: Is Ben calling his own plays at the line or are they calling them into him?

kgreen
09-15-2009, 12:13 AM
When they are in the no huddle: Is Ben calling his own plays at the line or are they calling them into him?

It's Ben calling the plays.

cmerrifield
09-15-2009, 07:35 AM
I think Bruce Arians is really good at designing plays and packages, I just wish during the game, Big Ben would get to call the plays, or at least call in a couple like Indy does with Manning and let Ben pick. Arians weakness is calling plays during a game, his strength is designing plays. Big Ben is really good at calling plays, it would be a win win.