PDA

View Full Version : James Walker on Redzone Redman

Blazedby92
09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/2884/more-steelers-observations

:stirpot::stirpot:Finally, I’m going to offer the Steelers some free advice: Call up Isaac Redman from the practice squad.
After watching Pittsburgh’s running backs get stuffed at the line of
scrimmage time after time, I’m convinced “Redzone” is the best
short-yardage option the team has. It’s not the end of the world to
carry four tailbacks, and Redman rightfully won’t be the primary
option. But even if he gets two carries a game that result in two first
downs, he's worth the roster spot. The Steelers cannot expect to win
every week going 4 of 14 on third-down conversions.:stirpot:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/2884/more-steelers-observations

:stirpot::stirpot:Finally, I’m going to offer the Steelers some free advice: Call up Isaac Redman from the practice squad.
After watching Pittsburgh’s running backs get stuffed at the line of
scrimmage time after time, I’m convinced “Redzone” is the best
short-yardage option the team has. It’s not the end of the world to
carry four tailbacks, and Redman rightfully won’t be the primary
option. But even if he gets two carries a game that result in two first
downs, he's worth the roster spot. The Steelers cannot expect to win
every week going 4 of 14 on third-down conversions.:stirpot:

It cant hurt! We know what to expect from Moore,Mende and Parker... i dont see what it could hurt to try a guy like redman!

--- Added 9/12/2009 at 06:24 PM ---

Pour run BLOCKING is the biggest problem! My only reason for agreeing with you is that Redman keeps his feet moving and can push some guys forward! Mende needs some more carries too! We need to see, this season, what he can do.

steelcityrockers
09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
If Frank Summers gets cut as a result, then please do. But keep in mind not many runningbacks can get that 1-3 yards with three defensive lineman in their grille.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah Frank needs to pull his head out of his ***! Im not so sure that it is a lack of ability or the fact that he, Chris-K and Essex looked as though they didnt know who they were supposed to block! Thats sad, really!

Big T
09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
They will NOT bring him up to the active roster after 1 game where we played a great D Line and the run blocking was TERRIBLE. Plus it's only 1 game. The backs we have are capable the blocking was just terrible. It's only 1 game. If this turns into a constant problem against even sub-par Ds then maybe call him up. Everyone needs to chill out and relax.

steelcityrockers
09-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah Frank needs to pull his head out of his ***! Im not so sure that it is a lack of ability or the fact that he, Chris-K and Essex looked as though they didnt know who they were supposed to block! Thats sad, really!

Lack of ability.

They will NOT bring him up to the active roster after 1 game where we played a great D Line and the run blocking was TERRIBLE. Plus it's only 1 game. The backs we have are capable the blocking was just terrible. It's only 1 game. If this turns into a constant problem against even sub-par Ds then maybe call him up. Everyone needs to chill out and relax.

How many games was it?

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I like the idea of letting our franchise QB work his magic on those 3rd and 1s.......I know Arians said he doesn't want to use the FB anymore but the Bengals have just a blocking fullback on their practice squad and his name is Chris Pressley......Pressley looks like a badass as a lead blocker....It couldn't hurt at this point to sign him and cut Summers.......

Big T
09-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Steelcityrockers - that's the point I was making...it's only 1 game.

it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.

Get the point?

HUNT4SEVEN
09-12-2009, 11:55 PM
It cant hurt! We know what to expect from Moore,Mende and Parker... i dont see what it could hurt to try a guy like redman!

--- Added 9/12/2009 at 06:24 PM ---

Pour run BLOCKING is the biggest problem! My only reason for agreeing with you is that Redman keeps his feet moving and can push some guys forward! Mende needs some more carries too! We need to see, this season, what he can do.

DIDN"T u just say a few days ago no vision Willie was our best option? WTF:hilarious:

STEEL CITY TANK
09-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I like the idea of letting our franchise QB work his magic on those 3rd and 1s.......I know Arians said he doesn't want to use the FB anymore but the Bengals have just a blocking fullback on their practice squad and his name is Chris Pressley......Pressley looks like a badass as a lead blocker....It couldn't hurt at this point to sign him and cut Summers.......
For a rookie blocker he's good

K Train
09-13-2009, 01:47 AM

essex didnt look nearly as lost as hartwig

Dean Denton
09-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Christian Akoya couldn't get a 1st down on 3rd and short behind this group of run blocking misfits.....

DanRooney
09-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Steelcityrockers - that's the point I was making...it's only 1 game.

it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.
it's only 1 game.

Get the point?

Yeah but you're quick to point the finger at the o-line after 1 game :clap:

SteelersWoman
09-13-2009, 06:07 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/253067-rushing-game-problems-for-steelers-are-in-the-back-field/poll_results#poll
by
Nick Signorelli (http://bleacherreport.com/users/91506-Nick-Signorelli) [/URL]Columnist
September 12, 2009

The biggest weakness of the Pittsburgh Steelers entering the 2008 offseason was the offensive line. After the Steelers management made no real effort to improve the unit, many believed the Steelers were in for a long year.

It is debatable that the reason for the Steelers rushing game finishing 23rd in 2008, was that the offensive line was just not able to do their job. Starting out the 2009 season, the real culprit reared its ugly head, and the true identity of the weakness is no longer a secret.

The running game of the Pittsburgh Steelers, if you want to call it that, was non-existent in the season opening game Thursday on NBC. Starter Willie Parker carried the ball 13 times for 19 yards.

To make matters worse, one of those carries was for eight yards. His average minus his long run was less than one yard per carry.

Former first round pick Rashard Mendenhall had four carries for six yards, with a long of three, meaning other than his long, he averaged one yard per carry as well.

In the fourth quarter of the game, when the Steelers went to the "Lightning" package (no huddle offense), Mewelde Moore was the only running back on the field, and he managed eight yards on five carries. After his long of four yards, he also averaged one yard per carry.

Frank Summers started his first game at full back, and to say he did not play well, would be a compliment. On two separate third-and-one situations, the Tank plowed over nothing but himself, missing two critical blocks, that cost the Steelers two first downs.

A cold hard reality now face the Steelers, what happens next?

"Fast" Willie Parker looked anything but fast. Every time he touched the ball, he seemed to run directly into the defense of the Titans.

Not taking anything away from the Titans, their defense played a fantastic game, but "Fast" Willie did not look very fast. Nearing the dreaded age of 30, Willie Parker can no longer rely on his speed to just out run everyone on the field.

Playing in his contract year, Parker needs to show that he still has
what it takes to be the feature back in the NFL. If tonight is any indication of how the year will go, Parker could be in his last year in the NFL.

Rashard Mendenhall, who was the Steelers 2008 first round pick, has done less than Parker. A players first year with the Steelers, they normally do not get a lot of quality playing time. Mendenhall was lost for the season five games into his rookie year.

In the preseason, while Parker was nursing injuries, Mendenhall got the start, and his chance to show that he was ready to take over the featured back role. What he showed, was he was afraid of getting injured again.

Every time Mendenhall was about to get hit, he seemed to duck, or fall, or run out of bounds. That is not what Steelers running back do.

The Steelers have a long history of having punishing running backs. From Franco Harris, Barry Foster, Bam Morris, and Jerome Bettis, the Steelers have big backs to pound of defenses, to wear them out, and win at the end.

Rashard Mendenhall is not the typical Steelers big back.

Mewelde Moore was brought to Pittsburgh to be a third down back. That is his role, that is his job. Catching passes out of the back field is where Moore excels, and when he is asked to do that, and only that, he does it well.

But, Moore is not a starter. He is not a runner that scares defensive coordinators, at least not rushing the ball.

If Moore is asked to carry the ball, he will never last an entire season, and the Steelers ground game will get no better.

Where do we go from here?

The Steelers next game is in Chicago, against the Bears. The Bears are another team that prides themselves on punishing people with their defense, as were the Titans.
So, what does Pittsburgh do about their ground game? Simple, start from scratch.
The Steelers identity is no longer the power running game, and punishing defense. The defense is still punishing, but the ground game is just not there.

It is time to cut the trends, realize that these Steelers are not [URL="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/253071-evolution-of-the-steelers-these-arent-your-parents-steelers-anymore"]your parents Steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/users/91506-Nick-Signorelli), and start from scratch.

Right now, there is a man that played with the Steelers this preseason, his name is Isaac Redman, and he is currently on the practice squad. He needs to be signed to the active roster immediately.

Is he the next Jerome Bettis? Doubtful. Could he do worse than Parker and Mendenhall? How much worse than one yard per carry could he be?

Redman was signed this offseason as an undrafted free agent. During the preseason, he carried the ball 37 times for 145 yards (3.9 per carry), and three touch downs. What was most impressive, his touch down run against the Carolina Panthers came with the Steelers second team in the game, and the Panthers first team defense.

On the run, Redman piled into the Panthers secondary, broke four tackles, and plowed his way into the end zone. One of those broken tackles was Julius Peppers.

Redman also scored in practice three times out of six, during the Steelers goal line drill, pitting first team offense against first team defense. If he can pound it in the end zone against the Steelers defense, then he can do it against anyone.

Justin Vincent is in his second go around with the Steelers, and like Redman, is also on the practice squad. Vincent did no where near as well in the preseason as Redman did, but the heart and determination he displayed, should at least get him a shot. Vincent could spell Redman, or play if Redman is injured.

I will be the first person to tell you that I am not sold on starting a rookie, and having even one in the back field makes me nervous. But at this point, what do the Steelers have to lose?

As long as the only options the Steelers have are "Slow" Willie Parker, and Rashard "Don't hit me" Mendenhall, I will take a running back that is not afraid to stick his neck out, and get the job done. Even if he is a rookie.

There is an old saying, those that do not learn from their mistakes, are bound to repeat them. The mistake the Steelers made this off season (and it is the only one I have noticed), was not bringing in someone that could push Mendenhall and Parker for playing time.

Keeping them could be a mistake that eventually costs the Steelers Lombardi No. 7.

steelers4life66
09-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Thats what I've been saying from the get start. Keeps his feet moving can pound the rock and has great ability 2 change direction. Some of you guys are probably going 2 cure me but I hope they hang on 2 him till the end of the season and replace Parker with him. :eek1:......Thats right I said it!!!!!

TEEMONT
09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah but you're quick to point the finger at the o-line after 1 game :clap:

Thats b/c the o-line was garbage when run blocking.

--- Added 9/13/2009 at 09:38 AM ---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/253067-rushing-game-problems-for-steelers-are-in-the-back-field/poll_results#poll
by
Nick Signorelli (http://bleacherreport.com/users/91506-Nick-Signorelli) Columnist
September 12, 2009

I dunno who Ncik Signorelli is, but he is a ****ing idiot. If you get paid to write abotu sports, and you can't see the o-line was the problem in the running game, then you should be forced to look for a new job.

Redman is crap, he played well againsst 3rd stringers....'nuff said.

Blazedby92
09-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Redman is crap, he played well againsst 3rd stringers....'nuff said.[/QUOTE]

While lets give him a chance against 1st stringers.....'nuff said

Elway7Ben7
09-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Mewelde Moore the starter, because he fits better with our crappy o-line blocking.
Logan as your new third down back, ala Darren Sproles.
Frank the tank should get the short yardage stuff and line up as the tailback.

This needs to be done to light the fire back under Willie. He's lost it, ever since his injury a few years back. He looks good against crappy defenses and looks VERY awful against good to average defenses.
It also doesn't help that Arians keeps running him up the middle on every single play. Parker should run to the outside or mid-range on 85% of his carries, to set up the inside stuff. It's just plain common sense, that Arians does not have.
We should've fired his *** and brought in chan Gailey when the Chiefs just let him go. Our offense was tip-top with him on board.

LatrobePA
09-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Broken record! Oline is JUNK, JUNK, JUNK! When the defenders are 3 yards into the backfield B4 the ball is exchanged, that's a problem!

Blazedby92
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
We all agree that the O-line is the BIGGEST reason the running game is horrible, there is probably 10 threads about the O-line, what I am saying and some don't understand it but bring in Redman and give him a chance, I am not saying give him the starting job, but atleast see what he has because with a defender in the backfield almost everysnap this kid looks like he has the moves to cutback and make defenders miss, if he doesn't work out then get rid of him. At this point it can't get much worse.:crossfingers:

Big T
09-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Broken record! Oline is JUNK, JUNK, JUNK! When the defenders are 3 yards into the backfield B4 the ball is exchanged, that's a problem!

Thank you....enough with all of this "Redman is the savior" bullshit.

LarryNJ
09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
He may not be the savior but he is their best chance at someone breaking a takle to get the needed yard or 2.

lloydfan4life
09-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Steelers 2nd team O line vs Panthers 1st team Defense.

Nuff said.

e_XUl0j3yb0

When have you ever seen 'Fast' Willie do this? He would have tripped and fell down in the backfield.

This kid runs with heart and should at least be given a chance.

Nobody is saying Redman is 'the savior'.... but quit blaming our ****** run game solely on the Oline.

SteelCityKid5
09-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Our running game MUST improve but, we play the Bears this week which won't help :banging:

TEEMONT
09-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Steelers 2nd team O line vs Panthers 1st team Defense.

Nuff said.

e_XUl0j3yb0

When have you ever seen 'Fast' Willie do this? He would have tripped and fell down in the backfield.

This kid runs with heart and should at least be given a chance.

Nobody is saying Redman is 'the savior'.... but quit blaming our ****** run game solely on the Oline.

I'll blame it solely on the O-line all day.

I think it's hilarious, you tell me not to blame on the O-line, but it's fine for everyone else to blame it all on Willie? What about the other two RB's who had less than 2 YPC? When you haev 3 RB's that have less than 2 YPC, you look for what they have in common and you blame/fix it. They all have the O-line in common. Thats really all that needs to be said. The O-line blcks better, the RB's will maybe have a few holes to hit, and thusly will shut everyone up. Redman will never, ever, ever be the answer, unlesss someone gets hurts.

lloydfan4life
09-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I'll blame it solely on the O-line all day.

I think it's hilarious, you tell me not to blame on the O-line, but it's fine for everyone else to blame it all on Willie? What about the other two RB's who had less than 2 YPC? When you haev 3 RB's that have less than 2 YPC, you look for what they have in common and you blame/fix it. They all have the O-line in common. Thats really all that needs to be said. The O-line blcks better, the RB's will maybe have a few holes to hit, and thusly will shut everyone up. Redman will never, ever, ever be the answer, unlesss someone gets hurts.

I'm not blaming it all on Willie, nor am I blaming it all on the Oline. It's a combination of both IMO. All I'm trying to say is that I really like what I saw out of Redman during preseason and I think the kid deserves a shot, whether that's this year or next. You have to admit, Redman showed a lot of heart running over defenders like he did.

DanRooney
09-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Hate to break it to you guys that are blaming it solely on the OL, but the OL is not going to get ANY better for a next few years until we draft some new guys. Might as well put a guy that can break tackles instead of one that falls over by himself.

LarryNJ
09-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Might as well put a guy that can break tackles instead of one that falls over by himself.

:lol: Good point!

KRAZYRIDE
09-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Nobody complained about Willie when he was almost the leagues leading rusher and had the longest superbowl run in history... whats changed? Faneca Hartings and Smith... I realldy don't think a RB can go from being one of the best backs in the NFL to averaging 1 ypc without it having to do something with the O-line. Redman is good hard runner no doubt about and he does deserve at least a chance but the O-line is the problem not the backs. Do you really think Adrian Peterson would be as good as he is with our line?

LatrobePA
09-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Nobody complained about Willie when he was almost the leagues leading rusher and had the longest superbowl run in history... whats changed? Faneca Hartings and Smith... I realldy don't think a RB can go from being one of the best backs in the NFL to averaging 1 ypc without it having to do something with the O-line. Redman is good hard runner no doubt about and he does deserve at least a chance but the O-line is the problem not the backs. Do you really think Adrian Peterson would be as good as he is with our line?

Years ago man...Yes he was easy to love when he RAN THE FREAKIN BALL!

Elway7Ben7
09-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Peterson would still be a stud!!! He runs hard and keeps the legs moving the whole run.
Barry Sanders had absolutely no frickin line, and look what he did.

Parker getting that broken leg, is what has changed. He is no longer an every down back in this league.

It really amazes me! We're all Steelers fans here, we all see the same thing, and yet we have a ton of Redman haters in here. Give that frickin guy a chance!!!! Power, hunger and passion is what he'll bring to the table. He won't fall down like Willie and Mendenhall do on a consistent basis.

Then again, what's it matter to any of us? We don't make the calls, so who really cares. Let the chips fall where they may.

SteelersWoman
09-13-2009, 08:08 PM
It's a combination of both IMO. All I'm trying to say is that I really like what I saw out of Redman during preseason and I think the kid deserves a shot, whether that's this year or next. You have to admit, Redman showed a lot of heart running over defenders like he did.

Agree with both points :yesnod:

Hate to break it to you guys that are blaming it solely on the OL, but the OL is not going to get ANY better for a next few years until we draft some new guys. Might as well put a guy that can break tackles instead of one that falls over by himself.

Agree 100% :tt02:

Nobody complained about Willie when he was almost the leagues leading rusher and had the longest superbowl run in history... whats changed? Do you really think Adrian Peterson would be as good as he is with our line?

Agree with Elway7--something else that changed was a significant injury...and while I don't think AP would've had 10 ypc, I DO believe he'd have gotten more than 1.5

...we have a ton of Redman haters in here. Give that frickin guy a chance!!!! Power, hunger and passion is what he'll bring to the table. He won't fall down like Willie and Mendenhall do on a consistent basis.

I know! What's up with all the hate? I don't get it either. Just give the guy a chance--he sure as heck can't do any worse.

He may not be the savior but he is their best chance at someone breaking a takle to get the needed yard or 2.

This is what I've been sayin :yellowthumb:

No one on here likes WP any more than I do, and I'm not sayin' that we need a bigger back in the whole game--but it sure couldn't hurt to throw one in there sometimes--or for the first 3 quarters against a good (to great) defense. Put Willie in when they're tired--he'll have a better shot than when they're fresh.

TEEMONT
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Peterson would still be a stud!!! He runs hard and keeps the legs moving the whole run.
Barry Sanders had absolutely no frickin line, and look what he did.

Parker getting that broken leg, is what has changed. He is no longer an every down back in this league.

It really amazes me! We're all Steelers fans here, we all see the same thing, and yet we have a ton of Redman haters in here. Give that frickin guy a chance!!!! Power, hunger and passion is what he'll bring to the table. He won't fall down like Willie and Mendenhall do on a consistent basis.

Then again, what's it matter to any of us? We don't make the calls, so who really cares. Let the chips fall where they may.

what amzes me is the amount of idiots that think any RB would do well with this line....Peterson would do **** with this line....nothing....zippo....nada. 3 RB's ran the ball on Thursday and they all had the same problem.....figure it out.

Elway7Ben7
09-13-2009, 08:51 PM
what amzes me is the amount of idiots that think any RB would do well with this line....Peterson would do **** with this line....nothing....zippo....nada. 3 RB's ran the ball on Thursday and they all had the same problem.....figure it out.

Again!! BARRY SANDERS!!!!!!!!!!

steelcityrockers
09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
That's not a valid comparison. Sanders was a legend, there will never be anything like him again. No one else could have ever done what he did, and no one else ever will. He had other-worldly talent. In my opinion, the best that has ever played. Redman is not ****ing Barry Sanders. Not in a million ****ing years is that a good comparison.

And honestly, no one hates Redman. I hope he does well. But he isn't the savior of the running game, nor the Messiah that some of you people claim him to be.

TEEMONT
09-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Again!! BARRY SANDERS!!!!!!!!!!

you;re right....find a way to clone 26 year old Barry Sanders, and maybe he can average 3 yards a carry....if you really think redman would make any difference on this team, then your football IQ is nil.

K Train
09-14-2009, 01:32 AM
i mean, im not opposed to giving him a chance if he can really make a difference....i just think that hes way overhyped and getting to much love JUST because our run game is ****. everyone wants to bail on what we have....typical steeler fans really.

i would much rather get the oline playing better and fix the problem rather than bring in another RB to fail

KRAZYRIDE
09-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Not one person on our line would be considered a starter on other team. Hartwig is way past his prime if he even had one. Colon is not an RT and never will be. Essex is a backup a bad backup. Starks is just an inconsistant fat blob and if he hasn't got it by now he never will. Keomatu is the only one who could pass as decent at best maybe... We need to build our line from scratch not trying to fix it with old players and backups.

I'd love to see what Redman could do with this line I'm curious to see if any RB could be good behind this line so what the hell give him a chance and he'll fail like the other 3 RB's.

Basically our O-Line sucks and Redman won't fix it

K Train
09-14-2009, 03:01 AM
you got is all wrong...i could go into it but

Hartwig is the worst, kemo is VERY bad though....very close second. Colon is good, starks has always been bad and essex is a ????? as this was his first game a a guard.

they cant get worse, they will definitely improve next week

LatrobePA
09-14-2009, 08:23 AM
they cant get worse, they will definitely improve next week

I agree, but they'll need to get better fast, Rogers was sacked 4 times behind a pretty solid line...

lloydfan4life
09-14-2009, 11:07 AM

so because people have different opinions than you they're idiots?
Nice... :rolleyes:

Ibleedblk&gld
09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
that's how teemont works...anyone bad mouths FWP and he shuns them...i don't think it would hurt to bring redman up from the practice squad, for 1 game...just to see how he fares in a regular season game, since "the only teams he scored on in the preseason were 2nd and 3rd string"

just my opinion

--- Added 9/14/2009 at 02:31 PM ---

I agree, but they'll need to get better fast, Rogers was sacked 4 times behind a pretty solid line...

go back and watch the game again...barbre was getting beat all game

TEEMONT
09-14-2009, 05:22 PM
It has nothitng to do with bad-mouthing Parker alone, it's the ***-clowns who seem to think that Parker alone is to blame. it's typical Steeler fan nonsense. "Ohhhh Parker suck, he isn't the Bus, he doesnt weight 240, he doesnt run hard enough"... Bullshit, the dud eis out there runing just as hard as Moore or Mendenhall, but people throw him under the bus (no pun intended) b/c he's the starter. If Moore was the starter it would be the same thing. Steeler fans dont have the inability to look past a big-name.

Two other RB's did the same thing as Parker in the run game, if you think that Redman would do any better, then yes...you are an idiot.

The people calling for Redman, were the same ones riding Summers' jock earlier this year. It's ****ing laughable. no Rb is going to get decent yardage when they get hit in the backfiled on a regualr basis.

Troyisabeast_43
09-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Man I hate to see what is going to happen on here when the Steelers lose a game this season because of the lack of a running game. Everybody for the time being just needs to calm down and just relax. There is a long way to go in this season and people need to stop acting like the season is over and the Steelers have no chance of doing anything this year because the running game looked terrible one week. I believe for one they need to throw the ball first in order to set up the run as I have talked about in another post. But I do believe as the season goes on Parker,Mendenhall and Moore will all improve and the running game will be a lot better then what we saw against the Titans...

lloydfan4life
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Tee.... I think you need to go back and watch some game film. I'd like to see FWP excel in the run game just as much as the next guy, but something has changed about him. Whether it was due to an injury or something else, he just isn't running with the same fire and passion as I've seen from him in the past. Anybody who doesn't see that must have their head stuck in the sand. Yeah, sure, our Oline may not be the greatest, but IMO there's just something different about him and it's not the Oline. MeMo didn't fare much better than Willie in Thursday's game but you could see the drive and determination in his runs. It's almost as though Willie can't find a hole and gives up.

Troy.... I certainly don't think anybody on here is "acting like the season is over and the Steelers have no chance of doing anything this year because the running game looked terrible one week". People are just expressing their opinions, which is the whole point of a forum. I'm hoping you're correct and as the season goes on our backs and our run game will improve.

Elway7Ben7
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
It has nothitng to do with bad-mouthing Parker alone, it's the ***-clowns who seem to think that Parker alone is to blame. it's typical Steeler fan nonsense. "Ohhhh Parker suck, he isn't the Bus, he doesnt weight 240, he doesnt run hard enough"... Bullshit, the dud eis out there runing just as hard as Moore or Mendenhall, but people throw him under the bus (no pun intended) b/c he's the starter. If Moore was the starter it would be the same thing. Steeler fans dont have the inability to look past a big-name.

Two other RB's did the same thing as Parker in the run game, if you think that Redman would do any better, then yes...you are an idiot.

The people calling for Redman, were the same ones riding Summers' jock earlier this year. It's ****ing laughable. no Rb is going to get decent yardage when they get hit in the backfiled on a regualr basis.

I think it wouldn't hurt to try something different. You never know, unless you try. I love Willie, but he hasn't done squat the last few years. He hurts us more than helps us at this point in time.
Arians needs to wake up and at least give Willie a lead blocker. He was becoming more effective last year, when Mchugh was blocking for him. That's probably all we need, but hey! we're just fans we don't know anything.

steelcityrockers
09-14-2009, 08:34 PM
He's done squat the last few years? Like last year where he missed a ****ton of games? Or the year before where he put up good numbers despite a crumbling OL? Or this year where it's been one damn game and an awful job by the OL?

TEEMONT
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I think it wouldn't hurt to try something different. You never know, unless you try. I love Willie, but he hasn't done squat the last few years. He hurts us more than helps us at this point in time.
Arians needs to wake up and at least give Willie a lead blocker. He was becoming more effective last year, when Mchugh was blocking for him. That's probably all we need, but hey! we're just fans we don't know anything.

My point is...until any RB does anything running the ball, then you can't place the blame on one RB. Does that not make sense to anyone else? If MeMo and Mendy went out and tore it up, then sure throw it on Willie. However, no one is running the ball, and I cant see redman doing it either, despite how he di din the pre-season.

I totally agree on the lead blocker, seems like most RB's run better with a FB IMO.

Blazedby92
09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
The headline on the Yahoo.com story fairly screamed.

Fast Willie Looks Slow, Out Of Place

The article quoted two anonymous NFL scouts, who singled out Willie Parker -- not the offensive line -- for the Steelers' run-game problems in their victory against the Tennessee Titans last week.

"Pretty obvious. [Parker] dances too much, no burst, doesn't even read the holes very well," one scout said.

"The line isn't good, but it's not that bad, either. I don't know if [Rashard] Mendenhall is any better than Parker, but he can't be much worse," the other said.

Wow.

And they say the media overreacts and is too quick to judge.

That's crazy talk after just one game. It's too soon to bury Parker or, for that matter, the offensive line. At least that's what Parker and I think. That smile he said he had on his face when he reported back to work yesterday at the team's South Side compound? The scouts' assessments knocked it right off.

"I haven't lost nothin'," Parker growled. "I know what I can do."

More than his 13-carry, 19-yard game against the Titans, certainly.

"We kind of stunk it up; I know that," Parker said. "But I know that game will be just a [distant] memory down the road. We're going to be all right."

It wasn't just Parker who took heavy criticism. When your team runs for 36 yards, there's plenty of blame to go around. The offensive linemen came in for their share. "Of course," tackle Max Starks said. "We're used to that."

Parker said he won't allow the linemen to get down on themselves. First thing yesterday, he made sure to get them together and told them they and he won't be defined by the Tennessee game.

"I just wanted to let them know I really care about them and believe in them," Parker said. "We just all have to be accountable to one another. I told them, 'We've got to get this show on the road. We've got to be the talk of the town.'

"We've got to get the running game fixed early and get it right. We've got one of the best quarterbacks in the league. If we get the running game going, that will make him even better."

Later, Parker told the media to do what the two scouts did and pile on him, not his linemen.

"If you want to point fingers at the run game, always start with me, first and foremost. I'm the running back. I have to make things happen back there. There were places to run [against the Titans]. I just wasn't hitting the holes."

Smart man, Parker.

That's Football 101: Be good to the big guys and they'll be good to you.

"It meant a lot," tackle Willie Colon said. "He told us he wasn't as sharp as he could have been the other night. We told him it wasn't just him and it wasn't just us. It was all of us. If we all put our hands in the pile, we'll get the job done right."

I'm more worried about Parker's confidence than his blockers'. I'm more concerned about his mindset than his burst or his ability to still hit the holes. "He's one of those guys who, when his mind is clear, he's at his best," Colon said.

It's hard to say that's the case with Parker now. The Steelers didn't do a contract extension with him this summer and he will be a free agent at the end of the season. Some players use that as motivation to have a big year. Others take it personally, feel unappreciated and lose their swagger. For the team's sake, Parker had better be among that first group. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin knows that. That's why he made it a point before the Tennessee game to say, "Willie Parker's our runner."

For his part, Parker insisted his mind is right.

"All I have to do is play football. Everything else will take care of itself."

There are three reasons to think Parker and the running game will be better against the Chicago Bears Sunday.

One, Parker's playing time against the Titans was his first significant action since last season. He missed three exhibition games this summer and had just four carries in the other. "I can't say I wasn't ready," he said. "I just wasn't used to being hit. I didn't feel as comfortable as I normally do."

Two, the Bears' defense won't be as stout as the Titans', especially without linebackers Brian Urlacher and Pisa Tinoisamoa. Urlacher is out for the season after dislocating his right wrist against the Green Bay Packers Sunday night, and Tinoisamoa won't play because of a right knee sprain.

And three, well, Colon explained it best. "Willie is angry. His urgency is pretty high right now. He sees that people are looking away from him a little [as one of the NFL's top backs]. That really bothers him because he's such a great competitor. He knows he's got to earn that respect again."

Said Parker, simply: "I'm excited about the game this week."

For the chance for the Steelers to go to 2-0.

For the opportunity to take a little heat off his blockers.

And, yes, you bet, for the sheer thrill of shutting up his critics.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09258/998091-66.stm?cmpid=cook.xml#ixzz0RAblQAIB

lloydfan4life
09-15-2009, 08:06 AM
The headline on the Yahoo.com story fairly screamed.

Fast Willie Looks Slow, Out Of Place

The article quoted two anonymous NFL scouts, who singled out Willie Parker -- not the offensive line -- for the Steelers' run-game problems in their victory against the Tennessee Titans last week.

"Pretty obvious. [Parker] dances too much, no burst, doesn't even read the holes very well," one scout said.

"The line isn't good, but it's not that bad, either. I don't know if [Rashard] Mendenhall is any better than Parker, but he can't be much worse," the other said.

Wow.

And they say the media overreacts and is too quick to judge.

That's crazy talk after just one game. It's too soon to bury Parker or, for that matter, the offensive line. At least that's what Parker and I think. That smile he said he had on his face when he reported back to work yesterday at the team's South Side compound? The scouts' assessments knocked it right off.

"I haven't lost nothin'," Parker growled. "I know what I can do."

More than his 13-carry, 19-yard game against the Titans, certainly.

"We kind of stunk it up; I know that," Parker said. "But I know that game will be just a [distant] memory down the road. We're going to be all right."

It wasn't just Parker who took heavy criticism. When your team runs for 36 yards, there's plenty of blame to go around. The offensive linemen came in for their share. "Of course," tackle Max Starks said. "We're used to that."

Parker said he won't allow the linemen to get down on themselves. First thing yesterday, he made sure to get them together and told them they and he won't be defined by the Tennessee game.

"I just wanted to let them know I really care about them and believe in them," Parker said. "We just all have to be accountable to one another. I told them, 'We've got to get this show on the road. We've got to be the talk of the town.'

"We've got to get the running game fixed early and get it right. We've got one of the best quarterbacks in the league. If we get the running game going, that will make him even better."

Later, Parker told the media to do what the two scouts did and pile on him, not his linemen.

"If you want to point fingers at the run game, always start with me, first and foremost. I'm the running back. I have to make things happen back there. There were places to run [against the Titans]. I just wasn't hitting the holes."

Smart man, Parker.

That's Football 101: Be good to the big guys and they'll be good to you.

"It meant a lot," tackle Willie Colon said. "He told us he wasn't as sharp as he could have been the other night. We told him it wasn't just him and it wasn't just us. It was all of us. If we all put our hands in the pile, we'll get the job done right."

I'm more worried about Parker's confidence than his blockers'. I'm more concerned about his mindset than his burst or his ability to still hit the holes. "He's one of those guys who, when his mind is clear, he's at his best," Colon said.

It's hard to say that's the case with Parker now. The Steelers didn't do a contract extension with him this summer and he will be a free agent at the end of the season. Some players use that as motivation to have a big year. Others take it personally, feel unappreciated and lose their swagger. For the team's sake, Parker had better be among that first group. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin knows that. That's why he made it a point before the Tennessee game to say, "Willie Parker's our runner."

For his part, Parker insisted his mind is right.

"All I have to do is play football. Everything else will take care of itself."

There are three reasons to think Parker and the running game will be better against the Chicago Bears Sunday.

One, Parker's playing time against the Titans was his first significant action since last season. He missed three exhibition games this summer and had just four carries in the other. "I can't say I wasn't ready," he said. "I just wasn't used to being hit. I didn't feel as comfortable as I normally do."

Two, the Bears' defense won't be as stout as the Titans', especially without linebackers Brian Urlacher and Pisa Tinoisamoa. Urlacher is out for the season after dislocating his right wrist against the Green Bay Packers Sunday night, and Tinoisamoa won't play because of a right knee sprain.

And three, well, Colon explained it best. "Willie is angry. His urgency is pretty high right now. He sees that people are looking away from him a little [as one of the NFL's top backs]. That really bothers him because he's such a great competitor. He knows he's got to earn that respect again."

Said Parker, simply: "I'm excited about the game this week."

For the chance for the Steelers to go to 2-0.

For the opportunity to take a little heat off his blockers.

And, yes, you bet, for the sheer thrill of shutting up his critics.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09258/998091-66.stm?cmpid=cook.xml#ixzz0RAblQAIB

hopefully this lights a fire under their collective asses (rb's & Oline) and after this week and the rest of the season this whole topic becomes a non-issue! :crossfingers: