PDA

View Full Version : Heart Of A Champion

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 01:15 AM
and it showed tonight.....Its always a huge statement when a team pulls out a win even when they don't play their best ball at times during the game.....Big win and I'm pumped.....Many things to work on as we all saw tonight but a nice win to start the season......

Props to Ben, Holmes, Ward, Miller on offense....They made plays all night and big props to the OL for giving Ben the time needed to make those plays......Major props to Mike Wallace for making a huge catch to set up the game winning field goal.....Kid showed something there.....Reed was money like always on his field goals even though the first one was shaky....

I thought the defense looked really solid and made huge plays all night.....I wonder why the Steelers were only rushing three at times?.........Run defense was fine but Johnson did pop some big runs but that will happen.......Troy played lights out and I hope is back soon.......

Good win and bring on the Bears.......

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Did we really think this game would end any other way? It was our MO all of last season and this year is starting out no different. Ben pulled out a crazy 4th quarter/OT comeback when you just have to have it. Moore was money for us in the clutch with some nice runs. Of course the Defense, they saved the day again for us and no one is more happy than Hines on that one!

The Steelers showed once again that game is never over till it's over, and if that's how it's going to be then so be it...after all we won a super bowl last year doing it this way.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah Johnson popped some runs tonight which kinda sucked but that does indeed happen from time to time. Let's face it the Titan running game is nothing to sneeze at and their OL is as solid as it comes. they are a well rounded, solid team so this hard fought victory is a sweet one indeed.

Scorp
09-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Champions never quit and the Steelers showed just that. It wasn't pretty but the Titans brought out the best in us. I think we just got a good preview of the afc championship game...if the titans don't choke during the season.

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Ya if the Titans dont choke this will be a preview of the AFC Championship.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-11-2009, 02:19 AM
If we don't get an offense that can run the ball we might not make it to the AFC championship game, I can't remember a time where our o-Line looked so bad, Honestly the game should not have been as close as it was, we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot, with these stuipd 3 an outs:cursin: i believe we were 1 for 5 on 3 yards or less tonight on 3rd down(WTF) Arians, an Larry should be fire immediately:imho:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 02:26 AM
People **** the running game......Lets just did what the Pats did back in 2003 and let Ben wing it 40 times a game....The weapons are in place to do that......The Pats won a Super Bowl without much of a running game that year...Hell the Steelers won the Super Bowl last year with the 23rd ranked running game.......I know some of you can't give up that Steelers football mentality....I love running the ball to but I also can point out what the teams strengths and weaknesses are......The Steelers should run the ball as a change of pace and let Ben fling the pigskin.....Ward,Holmes, Miller all made plays tonight and even Wallace made some big plays...Moore is solid at catching the ball out of the backfield.......Hell Sweed will make his share of plays to.....The Steelers are a passing team now and I don't know why the no huddle offense isn't the base offense......

Big T
09-11-2009, 02:28 AM
If we don't get an offense that can run the ball we might not make it to the AFC championship game, I can't remember a time where our o-Line looked so bad, Honestly the game should not have been as close as it was, we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot, with these stuipd 3 an outs:cursin: i believe we were 1 for 5 on 3 yards or less tonight on 3rd down(WTF) Arians, an Larry should be fire immediately:imho:

Finally. Someone on this site that agrees with the fact that the O Line is the reason for our ****** running performance, not Willie Parker.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 02:31 AM
Finally. Someone on this site that agrees with the fact that the O Line is the reason for our ****** running performance, not Willie Parker.

I rarely blame Parker and a blind man can tell that the Steelers OL stink at run blocking.....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 02:54 AM
We have an offense that can throw the ball as good any passing team in the league. Tomlin will never abandon the running game, you just can't do that, but atleast we know our passing game is in mid season form already so it's there when we need it. By the looks of our non existant running game we'll be needing a lot if things don't improve.

It's not just Willie, or Rashard, or Mewelde, or the blocking..it's all of them. the steeler running game is going nowhere fast at this point.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 03:05 AM
We have an offense that can throw the ball as good any passing team in the league. Tomlin will never abandon the running game, you just can't do that, but atleast we know our passing game is in mid season form already so it's there when we need it. By the looks of our non existant running game we'll be needing a lot if things don't improve.

It's not just Willie, or Rashard, or Mewelde, or the blocking..it's all of them. the steeler running game is going nowhere fast at this point.

I'm not saying abandon the run game at all but just use it as change of pace....The 2003 Pats won with just throwing the ball all over the place......The Steelers won it all last year with a 23rd ranked rushing offense.....

Really the Steelers need to do is use the no huddle as their base offense and let Ben conduct the offense.......Ben should throw it 35-40 times a game with some running mixed in.....

I love running the football and its great to see an offense run the ball when the defense knows its coming...But the Steelers don't have the hogs up front to do that anymore on a consistent basis....they will have their moments when they play the weaker defenses across the league but not against the best ones.....

igor0190
09-11-2009, 03:19 AM
I think Black N Gold hit the nail on the head there. I love Parker and think he is a top tier back, but we gotta find some more creative ways to get the ball into our RB's hands... Were just not built to run in between the tackles as much as we try.

I like the delayed sprint draws with Mendenhall as they have been working well.

tuggysteel822
09-11-2009, 04:27 AM
We gotta be able to run the ball though. If all said, the team averages 100 yds/game, we're fine. You're just more secure running the ball and eating up clock time (esp. in the 4th qtr) with less chances for a tipped ball or a pick six or something like that.

cmerrifield
09-11-2009, 07:15 AM
I will say in the 4th and in OT our guys played with more heart than the Titans. The Titans defense looked exhausted out there. That is one thing, the Steelers never seem to run out of gas.

LarryNJ
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
You can't pass it like that and win the Super Bowl. The 03 Pats that everyone thinks was a pass happy team had a 53/47% pass/rush. Look at the Andy Reid an the Eagles they are a pass happy team and never win when it counts because defenses can stop any team that trys to only do 1 thing. We need to get the running game on track especially on short down.

Sir Blitzelot
09-11-2009, 08:48 AM
You can't pass it like that and win the Super Bowl. The 03 Pats that everyone thinks was a pass happy team had a 53/47% pass/rush. Look at the Andy Reid an the Eagles they are a pass happy team and never win when it counts because defenses can stop any team that trys to only do 1 thing. We need to get the running game on track especially on short down.

Agreed. The passing game was very effective, but in order to have prolonged success, the Steelers need some sort of rushing attack.

Infern0
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
First of all, I would like to thank the Steelers for always keeping me on my toes :). My analysis of the game? It looks like a totally new team to me. I am done complaining about the OL/Big Ben situation, that's who he is, you can't consistantly hold on to the ball for 6 seconds and not get thrown around. Does Ben look like Favre to anyone? Two picks and a handful of sacks later, you still have a 363 yard game (Granted 60 of the yards were in overtime, none the less a 35 completion, 300 yard game). He is high risk, high reward QB. He is always going to drop back in the pocket for 5 plus seconds. He is always going to lead the league in sacks against. With these come Ben's benefits (no pun intended!). Roethlisberger is the comeback kid, bar none. I rarely worry if we are a touchdown behind anymore.

This is not a smashmouth team anymore, it's completely revamped and, even though Parker may have not had a good game, it is obvious that the Steelers offense has become very pass-oriented. Do I like it? It's different, it obviously works (The Titans D are no cakewalk). *****BUT*****, We need the run. As good as our recieving corps is, it is not strong enough to be the one stop answer. We need the run back. If Mendenhall and Parker step up and run the balls in, stacked upon the superb passing game we saw yesterday, the only thing in the way of ring #7 is ourselves. The defense doesn't look as sharp as last year, and Polamalu might have reoccuring health issues, but this will all turn around in due time. Pass D is the only concern I have right now. Agreements? Disagreements?

Iron City South
09-11-2009, 12:15 PM
The good news in all of this is that our O-line will get better as the season progresses. The bad news is that .. .once they do get better, they'll have made it all the way up to "average"

Infern0
09-11-2009, 12:30 PM
The good news in all of this is that our O-line will get better as the season progresses. The bad news is that .. .once they do get better, they'll have made it all the way up to "average"

Ben has a habit of making the OL look real bad though, I admit they are not up to par but it is not purely thier fault.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Ok have you been paying attention the last two years?.....The Steelers consistently have been poor on 3rd and short situations.......I know I'm tired of seeing the Steelers RB's get stuffed on 3rd and 1.....Why not put the ball in your franchise QB in those situations especially when the passing game carried the offense last night......**** Andy Reid.....I really don't care about the Eagles or them choking all the time....I'm more willing to trust Big Ben make the plays then the Steelers running game in 3rd and short situations.......

I wish this team had the OL to dominate in the run game but they don't....Play to your strengths not your weakness.....

LarryNJ
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree..F..the Eagles...the only reason I mentioned them is because of your comment that the Pats passed their way to the SuperBowl is simply not true. Well it may be true that their running game wasn't the best...like ours last year the fact remains that you have to still run the ball. Turning into a pass happy O that passes it 70+% of the time is not the secret to a succesful team.

DIESELMAN
09-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Play to your strengths not your weakness.....
Exactly bro :yellowthumb: as much as I would like to see us have a dominating running game, its not realistically possible with our OL and Arians calling plays to make a point. Like you said, I'd rather see the ball in the hands of our playmaker, who can then get the ball to one of several other play makers down the field. When push comes to shove and we need that 1 yard and our running game is non existent, don't go with a conventional or traditional mindset of playcalling. Go with what gets the job done (Ben) and the unexpected.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree..F..the Eagles...the only reason I mentioned them is because of your comment that the Pats passed their way to the SuperBowl is simply not true. Well it may be true that their running game wasn't the best...like ours last year the fact remains that you have to still run the ball. Turning into a pass happy O that passes it 70+% of the time is not the secret to a succesful team.

The Pats sure didn't rush to a Super Bowl title that year either and I really don't care what their pass/run ratio was......Of course the ratio was closer when the weather turned nasty late in the season....But the reason the Pats won the Super Bowl that year was Tom Brady throwing the ball 527 times that year and the Pats defense......

Ben never has had 500 attempts in a season........I would like to see it his year.......Ben is coming into his own and the Steelers defense is one of the best in league.....I rather see number 7 with the ball in his hands in those situations then the running game at this point.....Maybe you misunderstood when I said forget about the running game...I never gave a ratio but in my opinion taking the ball out of #7 hands in crucial situations is plain stupid.....The Steelers will still be able to pound the ball against the weaker teams......So the running game will still be a factor but really I want the Steelers to evolve more into a passing team.....The weapons are there for that to happen.....

43 attempts shows signs of that but my point again was on maybe some of those 3rd and 1s throw the damn ball and stop with our RB's failing time and time again in those situations..........

LarryNJ
09-12-2009, 06:21 AM
.....Maybe you misunderstood when I said forget about the running game...my point again was on maybe some of those 3rd and 1s throw the damn ball and stop with our RB's failing time and time again in those situations..........

Got ya~~ There's certainly nothing wrong with a quick slant to #10 on 3rd and 1 especially with 9 guys in the box.