PDA

View Full Version : Give some props to the Offensive Line

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Ok, so the 1st quarter they were all over the place and couldn't block anyone. The 2nd quarter you could start to see them working together and giving Ben more and more time. The 2nd half they were playing as solid as I've seen them play all of last year. Ben had tons of time to throw on countless occasions and even when he did get sacked or flushed out more often than not it wasn't for lack of protection.

Give this group some props here fellas and ladies, they weren't half bad.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Dude the pass protection was fine and I even commented during the pre-season the OL was better at pass protecting.......

Bombhunter
09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Man, I totally agree with you there. Ben had all kinds of time there towards the end. Let's hope the O-line stays healthy and improves that much more over the course of the season.

Zachintosh66
09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
they stepped up when needed... this makes us pull our hair out, but it worked and Ben was clean and upright when needed

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Dude the pass protection was fine and I even commented during the pre-season the OL was better at pass protecting.......

Yep I remember :yesnod:

The Titans front 4 and really front 7 is one of the best in football and for Ben to have the time he did is a testament to the work that unit has put in this offseason. IF and I say IF they can play like that with pass protection for the whole year we'll be fine.

Now run blocking well, we shall see...

blackngold29
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Stepped up when it counted. Can't deny that.

CNY_STEELER_FAN
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Yes, they should get some props for pass protection.

However, that leaves the question, is the run blocking that bad, or were the backs that bad?

I'm not taking anything away from Titans run D, which is good, but we only had 35 yards on the ground, and Ben probably had at least 5 of those yards himself.

Of course...maybe BA is a genius and he's faking a bad run game until the playoffs. :thinking:

Anyway, good game, good win. :tt02:

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Pass pro was OK but really gelled well at the end and I hope now it continues to gel, Hartwig whom I wished the Steelers never re-signed looked lost and beaten needs to seriously step up his game.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-11-2009, 01:05 AM
The Pass protection was GREAT, it's our running game that sucks bad, with no vision willie back their, granted none of the running backs did anything tonight but it tells u something when Moore was in the back field during the fourth quarter an overtime, if Willie is our best goal line option then we are truly in trouble IMO!!!

Big T
09-11-2009, 01:23 AM
The Pass protection was GREAT, it's our running game that sucks bad, with no vision willie back their, granted none of the running backs did anything tonight but it tells u something when Moore was in the back field during the fourth quarter an overtime, if Willie is our best goal line option then we are truly in trouble IMO!!!

Ok they started to play well in the passing game late in the game but come on. they didnt do **** in the running game. They opened no holes for the RBs. Theyre run blocking scares me. They need to improve. Like I said in a previous thread, you cannot blame willie for his performance. The line did nothing for the RBs.

And Mewelde Moore was in the game in the 4th because he is our best past catching back. Its not like we ran the ball 20 times with him in the 4th. Willie Parker is completely capable of being our short-yardage back. It's the O Line that isn't capable of converting short-yardage situations.

Ironman
09-11-2009, 01:36 AM
The offensive line did a very good job defending the inside rush against the pass. The outside rush was for the most part contained, but at times (which is only natural considering the talent on the D-line) the tackles looked overwhelmed. As a totality the O-line performed very well in my opinion. The pass protection was there, and for the majority of the game I counted an avg. of about 4-5 seconds of time to get rid of the ball. Pass protection was the winning aspect tonight, hopefully the rushing game comes through, but with the lack of holes, even the best RB couldn't do much. I'll admit the RB core looked a little bewildered (especially Willie), but Mewelde Moore showed promise and determination. #34 is considered our bruiser (besides Summers), and after tonight's sub par performance, he better be looking to bust out within the next few weeks, otherwise his season will be as disappointing as last years. I guarantee there are many Steeler fans panicking, but this is week 1. Tomlin will put a firecracker under the asses of the RB's, and although the O-line protected well against the pass, it's no excuse to allow an avg. of less than 2.0 on the ground. A win is a win, but the Steelers are obviously looking to capitalize on what makes this team great, the running game. The Bears have a much better D-line than the Titans in my opinion, but that doesn't mean this O-line will perform like they did against the Titans. Football is a grind, and a can guarantee every O-linemen on this squad is on it. The Bears D-line is a phenomenal force, but last time we were in Chicago, our running game carried us to a big W.

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Yeah they did good, Ben was only sacked 4 times today...lol They still cant open a run lane to save their collective lives... I dont care who you throw in there at HB, if the line cant open holes you are not going to run the ball... this line can not open holes at all.

Big T
09-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Yeah they did good, Ben was only sacked 4 times today...lol They still cant open a run lane to save their collective lives... I dont care who you throw in there at HB, if the line cant open holes you are not going to run the ball... this line can not open holes at all.

Amen.

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Start Urbik and Shipley!!

K Train
09-11-2009, 04:44 AM
this line is pure **** but the lack of effort by parker was not encouraging

cmerrifield
09-11-2009, 05:48 AM
I thought the line did pretty well towards the end, I think that was a combo and them getting used to the game and the DL getting tired. I think the Titans came in with the same defensive gameplan as we did, stop the run and make the QB beat you. Fortunately for us, our QB can throw for over 300 yards when necassary for the win. The Titans front seven are very, very good against the run, and if they are focusing on the run, that makes me feel a little better. I think the running game will be ok, probably not amazing, but better than last year.

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Ya Ben won us the game and Defense did a fabulous job only allowing 10 points and keeping Johnson and White under wraps.

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I cant give ANY props to th eline when they are only doing (and barely) half of their job. These dudes get paid millions of dollars....come off the ****ing ball.

Blazedby92
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
don't help when your FB whiffs on some runs.:banging:

Iron City South
09-11-2009, 08:34 AM
this line is pure **** but the lack of effort by parker was not encouraging

I have to agree here. The run blocking was abysmal and needs a ton of work.

What can I say .... I told you all MeMo was the best RB on the team and I stand by that statement. While Memo did nothing exceptional, he did a lot better than Parker did with the same garbage O-line. At least Memo can shed a block or two and eek out positivve yardage opposed to getting hit in the backfield.

Parker's vision is terrible.

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I have to agree here. The run blocking was abysmal and needs a ton of work.

What can I say .... I told you all MeMo was the best RB on the team and I stand by that statement. While Memo did nothing exceptional, he did a lot better than Parker did with the same garbage O-line. At least Memo can shed a block or two and eek out positivve yardage opposed to getting hit in the backfield.

Parker's vision is terrible.

so .1 ypc is A LOT better? he catches the ball better out of the backfield. And I still say Parker runs a better screen.

BTW how many screen did we run with our RB's last night, I honestly don't remember seeing one being run. I know we ran a few to the WR's, but it would seem to me that you would want to run few traditional screens to Willie or MeMo.

Just sayin'.

Iron City South
09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
And I still say Parker runs a better screen.

Not even close. T .. you're lyin to youself if you think Parker is even remotely close to Memo as a swing back. Parker has hands of stone for the most part.

I do agree that a general screen pass should be part of our weekly arsonal of plays ... Airans obviously has zero confidence in our O-lines ability to pull to set it up.

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Not even close. T .. you're lyin to youself if you think Parker is even remotely close to Memo as a swing back. Parker has hands of stone for the most part.

I do agree that a general screen pass should be part of our weekly arsonal of plays ... Airans obviously has zero confidence in our O-lines ability to pull to set it up.

Im not suggesting Willie is better as a ball-catching running back, I'm just saying I think he runs a better screen. He is def no Dwight Stone when it comes to his hands. I think people have a misconception that he has terrible hands. He doesnt have spectacular hands by any means, but I would say maybe a little below average. I can't find his drop numbers though through his career.

And as far as the o-line setting up the screen, well all they have to do is block like they always do...lol. And out line is pretty adept at pulling, we almost always have a Gurad or Tackle running a pull/trap.

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 09:44 AM
One thing to say: 4 man rush, 3 man rush! That won't work! The Titans got away from blitzing to play the prevent, that didn't work!

I'll wait to praise the oline...

JensK
09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I missed Mendenhall in this game. I don't know why they only used him like twice. I know he didnt pick up a lot of yards, but he ran hard when he were in. Willie seems sort of scared, which i would be as well with that line...

They did fairly well in pass-protection. Hartwig is so terrible it hurts, and Essex had to help him out all the time, which caused him to miss his own man a couple of times. I hate starks...

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm with you on Starks, he'd struggle making the PS on any other team!

I wouldn't let him walk my dog let alone protecting my 100mil QB's blind side!!

BlackGold4vr
09-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Hartwig is so terrible it hurts, and Essex had to help him out all the time, which caused him to miss his own man a couple of times. I hate starks...

Good thing we just resigned all of these bums to long term contracts.......:rant2:

K Train
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
parker looked slow and like pure ****....completely unimpressed

Zachintosh66
09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Who runs the better screen?

BA seems to have last those pages to the playbook too..

Oh wait except for our TE Screen...

SteelCityKid5
09-11-2009, 03:01 PM
The day K Train says something positive about the o-line, hell will freeze over.:markit:

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
parker looked slow and like pure ****....completely unimpressed

as opposed to the rest of the RB's who looked like Pro-Bowlers?

andyg1984
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
the line sux .. i cannot believe we are not talking about how the titans did not send any pressure (if it is 5 on 4 a line better give the QB time) .. our running game against the titans D is like watching the lions play our D .. i cannot believe that any1 thinks highly of this group .. lmao .. seriously .. i am right now

Captcoolhand
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm tired of beating our O-line like a dead horse. :deadhorse:

Maybe they need to replace the line coach or even fire Arians, he's the OC in charge of this ****

BlackGold4vr
09-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Q: With the difficulty the running game is having, especially in short yardage situations, at what point do you think Isaac Redman would be brought up from the practice squad?

Steeler Fan, Albany, N.Y.

BOUCHETTE: If what we saw Thursday night is any indication, I believe the Steelers will look for help anywhere they can get it. I would not expect them to sign Redman from the practice squad next week, but if this continues they would have to at least give him a try. However, unless the offensive line blocks for the run better than it did against the Titans, I don't know if Jim Brown could help.

I agree! Unless the O-line improves their run blocking another back wouldn't really make a difference. Tennessee had the 6th ranked run defense last year. Chicago had the 5th best run defense so don't expect a lot different results next week.

HeartnSeoul86
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll give them props for protecting Ben in OT so he could make the throws he needed to get us down the field and set up the game winning FG. I think overall the oline played terrible. They can't keep playing like that week in and week out and expect Ben to put up 300 plus every game. They have to have some kind of balance. They came away with the win, but there's lots of room for improvement.

TEEMONT
09-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I agree! Unless the O-line improves their run blocking another back wouldn't really make a difference. Tennessee had the 6th ranked run defense last year. Chicago had the 5th best run defense so don't expect a lot different results next week.

shhhhhh not so loud....it's all willie parkers fault, b/c he's not Jerome Bettis.

LatrobePA
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Parker had his chances, there were seems, but he thought his cute little dancing would fool someone...WRONG!

TEEMONT
09-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Parker had his chances, there were seems, but he thought his cute little dancing would fool someone...WRONG!

so whats ur excuse for MeMo and Mendy then?

LatrobePA
09-13-2009, 02:44 PM
so whats ur excuse for MeMo and Mendy then?

Other than the fact Parker is the true starter/ feature back I'd expect more from him and less from his back-ups.

The line sucks yes we know that, but any good RB can find some wiggle room.