PDA

View Full Version : Running game? what running game!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Here we are again, can't run the ball to save our lives and when it comes to 3rd and short all we can expect is 4th down. This is where Russel was key for us last year. If don't fix this issue, and pronto, it's going to haunt us sooner or later.

Parker did squat, Moore was atleast adequate and friggin Mendenhall barely even touched the ball :cursin:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm tired of seeing the offense pissing away drives with stupid call on 3rd and short...sorry with the way Ben was slinging the pigskin tonight he should have at least threw the ball on some of those 3rd and 1s......

first game of the season so I'm not to worried about since the OL still can find their grove as a unit...important thing is Troy and getting the win......

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 01:01 AM
I woulddnt call anyone adequete...5 carries for 8 yards....in the passing game he was fine though

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Atleast on that final drive in OT they got wise and did the quick slant to Holmes for the 1st down. This situation should be a gimme on any team with any sort of running game but not us :(

Yeah it's still early in the season so there's time to fix it but man oh man was it ever epic failure tonight!

Zachintosh66
09-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow, im completely shocked with Moore finishing the game. Granted Parker was ineffective. But they are usually stubborn about their him. Media was talking 30+ carries and he doesnt even seen the field when it counts.

hmmm, is there a RB controversy brewing?

Koopa
09-11-2009, 01:08 AM
willie is a ****ing bum......has always sucked *** against good defenses........ im happy this is his last season....

blackngold29
09-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Moore was the best back in the game, just like last season.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Wow, im completely shocked with Moore finishing the game. Granted Parker was ineffective. But they are usually stubborn about their him. Media was talking 30+ carries and he doesnt even seen the field when it counts.

hmmm, is there a RB controversy brewing?

Tomlin has showed he doesn't play favorites and if one these RB's emerges as the guy then I'm sure Tomlin will stick with him....Hey I'm not going to freak out about the running game yet......First game of the season and the Titans knew shut down the run is the first thing to do......If teams keep allowing Ward,Holmes, and Miller just to make plays all over the field during the game then that should open things for the running game....

I'm not worried yet and I'm the usual fan that freaks out all the time...just so many emotions running through me during the game.....

MOTORKRAFT
09-11-2009, 01:39 AM
We got Willie "I fall down when I run" Parker. What a joke. We got Rashard " I got a spin move that gets me tackled in the back field" Mendenhall. What a joke. We got M. Moore that tries. He does good. Where is Redman? WHERE IS REDMAN?

blackngold29
09-11-2009, 01:40 AM
We got Willie "I fall down when I run" Parker. What a joke. We got Rashard " I got a spin move that gets me tackled in the back field" Mendenhall. What a joke. We got M. Moore that tries. He does good. Where is Redman? WHERE IS REDMAN?

He's on the practice squad. :grin1:

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Willie ran like he was afraid to get hurt. But I am impressed with Mike Wallace to show Big Ben he is capable of being a clutch 3rd WR is music to my ears. I know Steelers didnt have the greatest running attack but it was against one of the better run stuffing defenses in the league and by far the hardest game on our schedule that REALLY worried me, now its all good and I was VERY impressed with Logan was his speed incredible or what?!

CNY_STEELER_FAN
09-11-2009, 01:45 AM
We won't see Redmon on the active roster unless someone goes on the IR (or Frank Summers royally flops).

Titans run D is good, but we made them look spectacular.

So, how much is the run blocking, how much is the running backs (to avoid questioning the play calling, which is really a separate and already well discussed subject)?

steelfury455
09-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Tomlin has showed he doesn't play favorites and if one these RB's emerges as the guy then I'm sure Tomlin will stick with him....Hey I'm not going to freak out about the running game yet......First game of the season and the Titans knew shut down the run is the first thing to do......If teams keep allowing Ward,Holmes, and Miller just to make plays all over the field during the game then that should open things for the running game....

I'm not worried yet and I'm the usual fan that freaks out all the time...just so many emotions running through me during the game.....

this guy said it best. what im concerned with is the Steelers identity and what it's lead to play calling to this point - with the running game. we seem to "try" to be that power run team we used to be but without the o-line and honestly the RBs as well. we slam Parker up the middle. why? i don't get that. run him outside, let Mend get his rhythm on the inside and call plays off tackle and off end eventually. tomlin will eventually graduate to Mend. however, he's still not seeing what's in front of him. he's basically still this years first round pick still not seeing the pace of the game. he NEEDS the touches and to the right places. we will fix the run game during the season but don't expect it to happen soon until BA utilizes them correctly. that's just my take.

DanRooney
09-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Could have used Redman tonight. And don't give me your malarkey and tell me it was only preseason or it was against 3rd stringers because this guy could have not done any worse Slo-Mo Willie Parker. Willie is done in the league unless we're playing any Cleveland Brown defensive equivalent. Parker has no explosion and takes way too long to find a hole.

Ben and Holmes and our shaky defense (at times, especially without Polamalu) carried our team tonight.

--- Added 9/10/2009 at 11:54 PM ---

Guys our O-Line is horrible, but don't buy into the BS. Willie Parker is not a #1 back. He should solely be used in change of pace situations. Also funny how the line "mysteriously" seemed to gel when Ben took control and went 4/5 wide.

Mewelde Moore is our best back at this point.

Zachintosh66
09-11-2009, 02:06 AM
3rd and short kills me...

Moore was the best back in the game, just like last season. :clap:

My Dad has always said Parker was jus a gimmick and wasnt a real RB... i thinking he was right.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Mewelde Moore is our best back at this point.[/QUOTE]

NOT according to some experts here:lol:

DanRooney
09-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Mewelde Moore is our best back at this point.

NOT according to some experts here:lol:[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I posted that article a couple of weeks ago. Notice the improvement of the offense with him in the game. He blocks, catches, and RUNS better than Willie.

I hope Tomlin gives Parker a talk and lights a fire under his ***.

Big T
09-11-2009, 02:12 AM
What the hell is wrong with most of you people? are you seriously harping on Willie?!?! Did you see how ****** the O Line played tonight? Everytime Willie got the ball there were defenders in face. Now matter how good a RB is, you CAN'T expect him to have a good game when he's getting hit as soon as he gets the ball. The line created NO holes. I will let them slide tonight for a couple reasons, 1) First game of the season 2) The Titans have one of the best D lines in the league 3) we won. i cant wait till Willie's first big game and all you haters start saying how great he is and how you hope he retires a steeler. Come on guys...Jesus

steelfury455
09-11-2009, 02:28 AM
What the hell is wrong with most of you people? are you seriously harping on Willie?!?! Did you see how ****** the O Line played tonight? Everytime Willie got the ball there were defenders in face. Now matter how good a RB is, you CAN'T expect him to have a good game when he's getting hit as soon as he gets the ball. The line created NO holes. I will let them slide tonight for a couple reasons, 1) First game of the season 2) The Titans have one of the best D lines in the league 3) we won. i cant wait till Willie's first big game and all you haters start saying how great he is and how you hope he retires a steeler. Come on guys...Jesus

exactly. expect the same rushing % as last years at this pace though. FWP needs to be in space. dude's got nothing like that in front of him although TN has a great Dline which didn't help matters. he'll be fine though. as long as some 300lbs DL doesn't kill him. wake up BA! he aint juking anyone in the A gap, lol. and with our oline, no gap at all. but ya really gotta expect a semi sloppy game the first time out. 3 games in, and we'll see how far along we really are. hope Troy is all good by then though...

HUNT4SEVEN
09-11-2009, 02:37 AM

I been saying since day one he has no Vision, Melwede did better than NO vision Willie an Mewelde didn't do much tonight, if Willie is so good why wasn't he on the field in thefourth quarter an overtime? Willie had the most carries tonight an i think he had 18, 19 carries for 20 yards i believe, If he's our best option at running back ( we not gonna even bring up goaline back) then we are doomed!

Big T
09-11-2009, 02:59 AM
I been saying since day one he has no Vision, Melwede did better than NO vision Willie an Mewelde didn't do much tonight, if Willie is so good why wasn't he on the field in thefourth quarter an overtime? Willie had the most carries tonight an i think he had 18, 19 carries for 20 yards i believe, If he's our best option at running back ( we not gonna even bring up goaline back) then we are doomed!

Mewelde Moore was out there in the 4th and overtime because he is the most reliable pass catching RB we have. Thats the only reason. he was in there to help make plays with his hands. That's why he is our third down back. I love Mewelde Moore, he has come up big for us, but he is not as good as Willie Parker.

P.S. Hasn't Willlie Parker been voted to the Pro Bowl twice? there are a number of teams that would love to have Willie as their "best option at running back." The guy was hurt last season. lets give him more than 1 game before you start calling for his head.

igor0190
09-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Our o-line doesn't run block well enough for Willie to run his style. Only way we can gain yards is straight ahead 2-3 yards at a time. Wait for a hole and guess what, there won't be one.

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I'm willing to bet most teams will get stuffed against the Titans when they try and run the ball. The Titans are a solid team up front on Def, and will shut down most HB. Lets not read too much into one game. Lets look at how they only rushed four most of the game and left seven back in coverage and Ben ripped them for 363 yards. The running yards will be there, just not every game. Willie can get it done. You can bet it will be the same thing against the Ravens. Steelers, Titans, Ravens, Giants. These are hard teams to run against every year.

MOTORKRAFT
09-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I didn't even read half of the comments on this subject, There was no need too. Willie Parker ran with the drive to fall down, simple as that. Rewatch the game, he ran to fall down. Time after time he did this. Mendenhall has a spin move that makes him a bust. Simple as that. Moore is the hardest running back we have. Coach Tomlin better get his head out of his *** and acivate Redman. 3rd and 1...Hand it to fall down Parker and punt...Hand it to spin move Mendallhall and punt. Give it to Redman and punish the defense.

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 03:31 AM
I didn't even read half of the comments on this subject, There was no need too. Willie Parker ran with the drive to fall down, simple as that. Rewatch the game, he ran to fall down. Time after time he did this. Mendenhall has a spin move that makes him a bust. Simple as that. Moore is the hardest running back we have. Coach Tomlin better get his head out of his *** and acivate Redman. 3rd and 1...Hand it to fall down Parker and punt...Hand it to spin move Mendallhall and punt. Give it to Redman and punish the defense. I think Redman deserves a shot and I'm sure he'll get it if the short yardage running game doesn't get better over he next month. I doubt tomlin will make any changes just yet. If we still suck at 3rd and short after the Chargers game look for Parker or Mendy to be riding the pine.

Big T
09-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Mendenhall has a spin move that makes him a bust. Simple as that.

That may be the dumbest and most ignorant statement I have ever heard in my life...WOW!!

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 03:35 AM
That may be the dumbest and most ignorant statement I have ever heard in my life...WOW!!

I get what he's saying... The spin move that has led to two fumbles is stupid.

Big T
09-11-2009, 03:39 AM
I get what he's saying... The spin move that has led to two fumbles is stupid.

So doing a spin move automatically makes someone a bust? God forbid Adrian Peterson EVER spin!!

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 03:42 AM
So doing a spin move automatically makes someone a bust? God forbid Adrian Peterson EVER spin!!No you can bust in a spin move move, but Mendy isn't really all that good at it. So far he has had issue's holding onto the ball, and that spin move doesn't help him. He tends to get drilled in the back, and needs to learn a little north and south running first. Holding the ball tighter might help too. I wouldn't go as far as to call him a bust, but like I said, I get what dude is saying about the spin move.

Big T
09-11-2009, 03:47 AM
Maybe he isnt good at it but calling him a bust because he's used a spin move is ridiculous.

Koopa
09-11-2009, 03:48 AM

willie will have his best game against a ****** team like he always does.......willie is a ****ing bum..... his whole career he has flopped against legit defenses...... and it can't all be the olines fault, dude just isn't a good running back.... no vision no tackle breaking ability........just a plain out bum of a starter.....he's a change of pace back not a starter....... next year with him gone we'll be a better team

Koopa
09-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Mewelde Moore was out there in the 4th and overtime because he is the most reliable pass catching RB we have. Thats the only reason. he was in there to help make plays with his hands. That's why he is our third down back. I love Mewelde Moore, he has come up big for us, but he is not as good as Willie Parker.

P.S. Hasn't Willlie Parker been voted to the Pro Bowl twice? there are a number of teams that would love to have Willie as their "best option at running back." The guy was hurt last season. lets give him more than 1 game before you start calling for his head.

willie got voted in cause we have way to many bias fans.......it's sickening how bias some are

Koopa
09-11-2009, 03:50 AM
I didn't even read half of the comments on this subject, There was no need too. Willie Parker ran with the drive to fall down, simple as that. Rewatch the game, he ran to fall down. Time after time he did this. Mendenhall has a spin move that makes him a bust. Simple as that. Moore is the hardest running back we have. Coach Tomlin better get his head out of his *** and acivate Redman. 3rd and 1...Hand it to fall down Parker and punt...Hand it to spin move Mendallhall and punt. Give it to Redman and punish the defense.

redman wouldn't do **** in the regluar season.....he wouldn't be facing 3rd stringers anymore

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 03:54 AM
willie will have his best game against a ****** team like he always does.......willie is a ****ing bum..... his whole career he has flopped against legit defenses...... and it can't all be the olines fault, dude just isn't a good running back.... no vision no tackle breaking ability........just a plain out bum of a starter.....he's a change of pace back not a starter....... next year with him gone we'll be a better team There are no really ****** teams in the NFL... Some teams are just better at stopping the run. All 32 teams are full of pro players that run and hit pretty damn hard. Willie cant run against the Ravens or Titans...Who can???? These same teams that willie struggles against are the same teams that every HB struggles against. Willie busted over 130 yards against the Charges in the playoffs last year and thats not an easy thing to do.

Tr305
09-11-2009, 03:58 AM
There are no really ****** teams in the NFL... Some teams are just better at stopping the run. All 32 teams are full of pro players that run and hit pretty damn hard. Willie cant run against the Ravens or Titans...Who can???? These same teams that willie struggles against are the same teams that every HB struggles against. Willie busted over 130 yards against the Charges in the playoffs last year and thats not an easy thing to do.

Good point take adrian peterson for example since he is the best rb in the nfl imo...anyways I bet you he doesnt do near as good playin teams like us titans ravens giants you get the point. At the same time though willie was fallin down in alot his rus and overall tonight the rbs were sloppy.

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Good point take adrian peterson for example since he is the best rb in the nfl imo...anyways I bet you he doesnt do near as good playin teams like us titans ravens giants you get the point. At the same time though willie was fallin down in alot his rus and overall tonight the rbs were sloppy. First game of the season most teams look a little sloppy. Willie has always had issues running on that field. not sure why he doesn't get bigger cleats. The guy is always slipping...And we will see what Adrian can do against the Ravens and the Steelers this year. If the guy bust up both of these teams for over a 100 yards, then holy ****...

Tr305
09-11-2009, 04:22 AM
yea I was actually suprised we gave chris johnson 57 yeards. I mean we contained him for the most part but there were a few times i cringed thinking he was goin to bust one

DanRooney
09-11-2009, 04:31 AM
At least Mendenhall pushed forward after being hit behind the LoS on his first two carries. Parker just falls down when someone touches him

MOTORKRAFT
09-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Koopla , said "Redman wouldn't do **** in the regular season.....he wouldn't be facing 3rd stringers anymore". I bet he wouldn't be running to fall down like Fast Willle Parker did all night. Watch the replay, Parker went down faster than a $10 dollar whore. Mendenhall wasn't much better. M.Moore was the star. Watch the replays of the game. Parker is one and done. Mendenhall is the same. Redman is not Russull.

K Train
09-11-2009, 05:26 AM
moore played when the oline improved greatly and only managed 8 yards on 5 carries....hes a good reciever, but we knew that.

this line needs to get their ****ing heads out of their asses.

thank god we got urbik instead of oher though...THANK GOD

cmerrifield
09-11-2009, 07:04 AM
The Titans are great against the run and they focused on it tonight, I think FWP has always struggled against really good Defenses, but its too early to tell. I love Moore in passing situations and he will always be in the game with 4 recievers, he is the best blocker and reciever in the group

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Moore ran waaaay better than parker

Moore - 1.6 ypc
Willie - 1.5 ypc
Mendy - 1.5 ypc

See?!

1 ****ing game into the season and your mouths are all over moore's junk saying he runs better than Willie....get the **** outta here, that line blocked for no one last night, any yards that anyone got were lucky.

Moore is better catching....thats it.

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Yet I ask myself why the Stillers re-signed Hartwig??

Captcoolhand
09-11-2009, 09:21 AM
willie will have his best game against a ****** team like he always does.......willie is a ****ing bum..... his whole career he has flopped against legit defenses...... and it can't all be the olines fault, dude just isn't a good running back.... no vision no tackle breaking ability........just a plain out bum of a starter.....he's a change of pace back not a starter....... next year with him gone we'll be a better team
:ditto: :clap: I couldn't agree more.
Parker is only good when/if he finds a hole (5% of the time) or he makes it to the outside,Then he subject to take it to the house. But, even that is happening less and less every season.
I'm not jumping on the Redman bandwagon but it would be interesting to see how well he could play in a real game with Parker. :thinking: I just have that feeling that he would show the FO why they should have shown Parker the door.

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
10 days to find a running game!

Yes this was game 1, but Willie Nelson with a joint in his mouth would of had more yards than Parker!

Mendy looks scared to be on the field!

Moore is our better back right now IMO!

Summers missed some huge blocks, if the coaches liked him better than Davis then f the fact he's a rook, no excuse!

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 09:34 AM

look at the stats....just look at the ****ing stats....Moore 1.6 ypc, Willie 1.5

Neither ran good at all, but neither is to blame when they are gettin hit 1-2 yds behind the line consistently. Moore can catch the ball better, and thats it. Willie picks up a blitz better, and runs harder (not that that can ever be proven).

Willie has had the most unenviable job in Pittsburgh, and thats replacing the Bus. He could be putting up AP numbers and people (especially Koopa) would still hate. Speaking of AP, he wouldnt haev put up 30 yards last night, running behind this line, with same number of carries that Parker and Moore had.

I really dont understand what the FO is thinking. Usually, I can think about things that they do, and then understand it eventually. Football is a business now, and in no way was re-signing Starks to big money, and Hartwig a solid business decision. I don't get this O-line at all, I don't get how they are comfortable with it at all. They wouldnt give money to Faneca, but they gave it to Starks?! He is a second tier RT, playing LT, I just can't wrap my head around it at all. They block deccently for Ben, but the man is playing out of his mind, and extending plays like no one else since Randall Cunningham, I know they won the SB last year, so honeslty I can't bitch.

Is anyone else completley confused by this?

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Parker had holes to run though, but he decided to side step or try and make a cut instead of taking what the D was giving him. I blame the lack of playing time in the preseason. 1 game under his belt, I suspect he'll have a better game next week.

cmerrifield
09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
The Titans came into this saying that they were gonna stop the run game and Big Ben will have to beat them with his arm. This always use to work against the Steelers, but now we can take what a team gives us. If they put 8 in the box, then will pass and get a win with 350 passing yards from Ben, if they want to focus on the pass, then our running game will win for us. We have finally become a two dimensional team, that will allow us to take what we are given. If next week the Bears focus on the pass, then FWP will have 100 rushing yards. We just need to take what the teams give us.

Iron City South
09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Moore ran waaaay better than parker

Moore - 1.6 ypc
Willie - 1.5 ypc
Mendy - 1.5 ypc

See?!

1 ****ing game into the season and your mouths are all over moore's junk saying he runs better than Willie....get the **** outta here, that line blocked for no one last night, any yards that anyone got were lucky.

Moore is better catching....thats it.

Teemont - You can't just look at a number and say "See everyone .. he's not that much better" ....

Go look at how many negative yardage or zero net yardage plays Parker is responsible for then go look at Memo's. Parker gets hit and goes down in the backfield more than any other RB on the team. In fact, he was near the bottom of the league in this stat last year and in years past. Moore has better:

- Hands
- Feet
- Vision
- Intuitiveness
- latteral hip movement
- blocking skills

and to boot ... we have more playbook options with Memo. He brings more versatility to the offense. Now don't get me wrong ... I want Parker to succeed this year, but don't sit here and blow smoke up our *** by saying the only thing Memo does better is catch the ball.

That simply isn't true. It's a disingenuous position to take.

Captcoolhand
09-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I really dont understand what the FO is thinking. Usually, I can think about things that they do, and then understand it eventually. Football is a business now, and in no way was re-signing Starks to big money, and Hartwig a solid business decision. I don't get this O-line at all, I don't get how they are comfortable with it at all. They wouldnt give money to Faneca, but they gave it to Starks?! He is a second tier RT, playing LT, I just can't wrap my head around it at all. They block deccently for Ben, but the man is playing out of his mind, and extending plays like no one else since Randall Cunningham, I know they won the SB last year, so honeslty I can't bitch.

Is anyone else completley confused by this?
I don't think anyone will really understand the reasoning behind 2/$15Mil. signing or the 4 year deal they gave Hartwig. Like you said, Starks is 2nd tier at best and Hartwig even came here being a back-up from his prior team.
I know we won the SB with 90% of these guys we have now but at 1 point you're going to have to start rebuilding. Stop spreading the money signing these guys that aren't worth it.

IMO. I rather see 5 rookies on the field busting their tails off than see an overpaid guy out there not getting it done.
I don't know to many people that go to work and continue to bust their *** after they see that raise in their pay check. :dunno:

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Teemont - You can't just look at a number and say "See everyone .. he's not that much better" ....

Go look at how many negative yardage or zero net yardage plays Parker is responsible for then go look at Memo's. Parker gets hit and goes down in the backfield more than any other RB on the team. In fact, he was near the bottom of the league in this stat last year and in years past. Moore has better:

- Hands
- Feet
- Vision
- Intuitiveness
- latteral hip movement
- blocking skills

and to boot ... we have more playbook options with Memo. He brings more versatility to the offense. Now don't get me wrong ... I want Parker to succeed this year, but don't sit here and blow smoke up our *** by saying the only thing Memo does better is catch the ball.

That simply isn't true. It's a disingenuous position to take.

See, the thing abotu everythihng u mentioned is, they can't be measured. There is literally no way to prove it, especially if we aren't at practice everyday.

MeMo is a ridiculous 3rd down back, one of the better in the league, but to sit here and say he is a better runner than Parker is just silly. Parker picks up the blitz very well also.

My point is, for anyone to say that MeMo outplayed willie last night, is just retarded, (Willie even had a big catch last night...lol).

The fact of the matter is this...there were 22 carries last night for 33 yards. I don't think you can place the blame on ANY of the running backs. Put Willie behind just and average run blocking O line, and he will put up 4+ ypc...same with memo and Mendy.

The Steelers have a great problem to have, 3 very good RB's, but also have a terrible problem to solve, and thats the lack of run blocking by this O-line.

If anyone cant look at the running game and see the line is to blame, then you just don't know football.

Zachintosh66
09-11-2009, 10:24 AM

Why did we we sign anyone but Kemo and Colon... the rest are barely there anyways :)

HeartnSeoul86
09-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I can't believe some of you are already bashing Willie after this one game! I know all of you watched the same game I did and saw that the online couldn't open a whole to save their lives no matter who was in our backfield running the ball, heck after the first quarter I was screaming for the offense to go to the no huddle seeing that they couldn't run the ball. We won the game and that's what counts. There still is plenty of time to fix the running game, and I believe it will improve. So all you couch coaches relax and get off Willies back! a running back needs good run blocking to run the ball effectively which I didn't see last night. We're 1-0 enjoy it! Man I'd hate to see what's posted after a loss. Go Steelers!:tt02:

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I can't believe some of you are already bashing Willie after this one game! I know all of you watched the same game I did and saw that the online couldn't open a whole to save their lives no matter who was in our backfield running the ball, heck after the first quarter I was screaming for the offense to go to the no huddle seeing that they couldn't run the ball. We won the game and that's what counts. There still is plenty of time to fix the running game, and I believe it will improve. So all you couch coaches relax and get off Willies back! a running back needs good run blocking to run the ball effectively which I didn't see last night. We're 1-0 enjoy it! Man I'd hate to see what's posted after a loss. Go Steelers!:tt02:

This game??? did you forget he sucked last year! lol

Look he had holes but decided to lay down instead of hitting them!

First game jitters, maybe, but he's better than that!

Captcoolhand
09-11-2009, 10:34 AM
If anyone cant look at the running game and see the line is to blame, then you just don't know football.
How can you just blame the O-line when Parker drops like a sack of potatos as soon as he's touched....:duh:

Don't get me wrong, I see what you're saying, but if our RB's continue to play like they did last night, Ben will surely beat the record for most yds passing by a Steelers QB.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Is there any really good way to fix this? At this point all we can do is hope that over the coming weeks they start run blocking the way they pass protected in the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th quarters last night. We have to hope that they come together as the season moves forward because there's going to be no more personnel changes, barring injury. Parker is going to be Parker; he's an all or nothing type of back mainly. Mendenhall didn't get enough touches last night IMO, how in the hell is this kid supposed to get better if u put him in for 2 plays and then yank him till the next quarter?!

HeartnSeoul86
09-11-2009, 10:52 AM
This game??? did you forget he sucked last year! lol

Look he had holes but decided to lay down instead of hitting them!

First game jitters, maybe, but he's better than that!

Are you forgetting we practically have the same oline as we did last year? The holes were there? really? We had 23 rushes for 36 yds a whopping 1.6 yds per rush. I think you better go back and watch the same game I watched. :nono:

TampaSteelGirl
09-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Moore was the best back in the game, just like last season.

Exactly!! Make him the starter please!!!!!!

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Are you forgetting we practically have the same oline as we did last year? The holes were there? really? We had 23 rushes for 36 yds a whopping 1.6 yds per rush. I think you better go back and watch the same game I watched. :nono:

Dude I stayed up all f'n night watching highlights, he ran like a pussy. His little side step BS allowed the D to close on him. Maybe you should go back and watch it, the holes were there, he wasn't....

Could the line of blocked better? HELL YEA, but any good running back can take what the D gives you, he didn't!

Does this game make him a bust? NO, he'll rebound, but he's no LT!

TampaSteelGirl
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
He trips himself up with his feet Waaay too much!

HeartnSeoul86
09-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Dude I stayed up all f'n night watching highlights, he ran like a pussy. His little side step BS allowed the D to close on him. Maybe you should go back and watch it, the holes were there, he wasn't....

Could the line of blocked better? HELL YEA, but any good running back can take what the D gives you, he didn't!

Does this game make him a bust? NO, he'll rebound, but he's no LT!

So he ran like a P_ _ _ y ok, but then you totally contradict yourself saying the oline could have blocked better. Which tells me you know it's not all on Willie's shoulders. You can stay up for two nights and watch the highlights if you want, but you aren't going to convince me the holes were their bud. Look at the stats, the stats don't lie 1.6 per rush and we had three guys running the ball. Are you telling me M. Moore and Mendy run like P_ _ _ ies too?

Blazedby92
09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
That is the only move he's got and he uses it ALOT. Maybe he should use the basic move like going forward and we wouldn't be having this thread.:stirpot:

Moondog
09-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Let's face it, Pittsburgh's a passing team first. They have got to play to their strong points and run blocking is definitely not one of them. They are being too stubborn about the Steeler stereotype identity of "a running team" in trying to shove FWP up the middle. I remember T.Brady kicked the Steeler's *** throwing the ball 20+ straight times without one running play called. Hey, why not the Steelers? We can all agree that the pass protection trumps their run blocking, it's time to play to thier strength and start gameplanning the "quick tempo guns blazing" Big Ben lead offense first, then they might be able to sneak in a good run in here and there.

Iron City South
09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Let's face it, Pittsburgh's a passing team first. They have got to play to their strong points and run blocking is definitely not one of them. They are being too stubborn about the Steeler stereotype identity of "a running team" in trying to shove FWP up the middle.

I'm in 100% agreement w/this statement. :plus1:

We can all agree that the pass protection trumps their run blocking, it's time to play to thier strength and start gameplanning the "quick tempo guns blazing" Big Ben lead offense first, then they might be able to sneak in a good run in here and there.

I neither agree nor disagree. I think "last night" their run blocking sucked. Does that mean they can't, or will not be able to run block the entire season? ..... not at all.

What they need to do is get their **** together and find out where the break-downs are occurring. I think the Steelers need to be both, a running and passing team, when the situtation calls for it.

Infern0
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Parker is a good RB trapped in a offense that isn't for him. The steelers O isn't designed for the fast backs to take the ball out to the side, it's for smashmouth backs (not afraid to get hurt) that run up the middle for 4.

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
So he ran like a P_ _ _ y ok, but then you totally contradict yourself saying the oline could have blocked better. Which tells me you know it's not all on Willie's shoulders. You can stay up for two nights and watch the highlights if you want, but you aren't going to convince me the holes were their bud. Look at the stats, the stats don't lie 1.6 per rush and we had three guys running the ball. Are you telling me M. Moore and Mendy run like P_ _ _ ies too?

That's fine.

But at least we won, why the F is everyone so pissy?

DanRooney
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
No one can run which is exactly why Moore is the better option to start. Parker needs to be sitting on the sidelines hoping he gets a new contract with another team.

pdawg86
09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
We gotta find the running game sooner than later but gotta give credit to Titans run defense they took away the run and Ben made them pay. Mendenhall does not impress me and Mewelde Moore made big plays all last year for the Black and Gold, fast Willie gotta give him another chance. Guys just soooo weird 3rd and short was a given for us now what an adventure well take the win special teams and defense were awesome. Big Ben is an ELITE CLUTCH quarterback and hopefully Troy will only miss 3-6 weeks it is gonna be another great season.

TampaSteelGirl
09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
We gotta find the running game sooner than later but gotta give credit to Titans run defense they took away the run and Ben made them pay. Mendenhall does not impress me and Mewelde Moore made big plays all last year for the Black and Gold, fast Willie gotta give him another chance. Guys just soooo weird 3rd and short was a given for us now what an adventure well take the win special teams and defense were awesome. Big Ben is an ELITE CLUTCH quarterback and hopefully Troy will only miss 3-6 weeks it is gonna be another great season.

I agree with every word of this post!!! Thank you!!!! :yellowthumb:

Captcoolhand
09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Parker is a good RB trapped in a offense that isn't for him. The steelers O isn't designed for the fast backs to take the ball out to the side, it's for smashmouth backs (not afraid to get hurt) that run up the middle for 4.Ya and we havn't had that since Bettis and so far, Redman has shown that every down being it's 1,2,3 string, the guy never quits.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-11-2009, 01:08 PM
How would this conversation go if ward had carried the ball into the ez???

Blazedby92
09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Ya and we havn't had that since Bettis and so far, Redman has shown that every down being it's 1,2,3 string, the guy never quits.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Capt

jackhammer1
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
The main reason I liked Redman so much was he was the best looking runner in goal line situations in a long time, pre season or not. We couldn't pound it in last year and I doubt if that's going to change anytime soon. I hope Tomlin's not as stubborn as Cowher, who would run the same back into a brick wall all day.

SteelerAllDay
09-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Big Snacks, I agree completey. I was studying run plays during Super Bowl and after last nights game there are a couple constant themes to the lack of running game. 1st, Hartwig is consistently, I mean consistently getting blown back. This disrupts the entire flow of the running. It makes the rb studder step before hitting the hole and it also disrupts the path of the pulling guard that has to run around Hartwig therefore getting to the hole step too late.

Hartwig is not the answer. I do not understand this extension. I fully expected Stapleton and Legursky to battle for center next year.

Secondly, Parker takes too many steps and hesitates to jump up in hole. Granted hole is not that big but with Titans it wasn't going to be. Yet there were opportunities there but Parker danced to much instead of busting up in there for at least 2-3 yards. Another thing I don't like what he does it he tries busting it outside when the easier route was taking the 2-3 yards in the hole. These plays where he busted it outside led to negative or no yards everytime. I'm sorry, but he's not worth resigning for amount he will demand. I will be happy with Mendy, Moore, and Redman next year.

Keep the money and give it to Casey.

KRAZYRIDE
09-11-2009, 03:56 PM
You just can't blame the running back you just CANT. Our run blocking was the worst its ever been. If you cant push the defense back a few yards for a second and 2 how do you expect to run the ball? They did an awesome job pass blocking 90% of the time the other time was a bad read or Ben held onto the ball too long but they dominated espicially towards the end however the run blocking was sad and if it doesnt get fixed than get used to being a one-Dimensional team:banana:

SteelersCA314
09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Rubbish running game, but we still won. Hopefully winning will bring confidence and the running game will come with time. There is no standout RB at the moment, you would like to think that someone will step up and take the glory.
Heath Miller I salute you!

bleed black n gold
09-11-2009, 04:21 PM
willie is the man when his feet are moving he hesitates way too much but we all know he has potenial we all know how fast he can hit a hole (superbowl 40) but i agree he has lost a step redman is the new man why is he on practice???

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Check out the home page, read what the scouts seen in Willie last night....Same we all did, not the lines fault 100% of the time, Willie is lost and showing his age!

Troyisabeast_43
09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Still plenty of time to correct and get better in the run game. Was it horrific last night?? Absolutely. But you know what it was as well a lot of the time last season too with much less options and the Steelers in the end got it going in the playoffs and went on to win the Super Bowl. The running game I believe will improve as the season goes on. The bottom line is the Steelers found a way to win without a running game at all against a pretty good defense and team overall in the Titans. Ill take that as a positive sign and definitely think the Steelers can use that right there to build upon and work harder to get alot more efficient in the run game as the season moves forward...

LatrobePA
09-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree. Look at it this way, if we played a perfect game against this VERY GOOD team and only won by 3 I'd be scared.

A lot we can improve on with lesser teams!

Everyone keeps talking about "Steelers" football pounding the ball, maybe this is the time the tides change and we rely on Bens arm and our badass wide outs???

K Train
09-11-2009, 05:42 PM
run game cant get worse....at least we know ben is reliable if theres ever a repeat performance.

they will work on the run game alot and in 10 days i expect it to be a new team out there

DanRooney
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
run game cant get worse....at least we know ben is reliable if theres ever a repeat performance.

they will work on the run game alot and in 10 days i expect it to be a new team out there

Oh god I hope you're right. A new team meaning Willie gets cut and Redman gets promoted from the practice squad :yellowthumb:

K Train
09-11-2009, 05:51 PM
redman would not do anything, but i agree willie should be cut lol

it can really only get better from here though, the line hit rock bottom at run blocking....which is weird since kemo and starks are supposed to be good at that

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh god I hope you're right. A new team meaning Willie gets cut and Redman gets promoted from the practice squad :yellowthumb:

I really hope thats a joke....b/c the love for Redman is sickening.

K Train
09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
redman is a nobody....but tee, lets be serious, i know parker is your boy but he is looking very slow and hesitant, and while the oline and piece of **** summers provided no help, he was not the parker we have seen before. his days in pittsburgh are surely numbered but hes writing his own ticket out by running like that

TEEMONT
09-11-2009, 08:35 PM
redman is a nobody....but tee, lets be serious, i know parker is your boy but he is looking very slow and hesitant, and while the oline and piece of **** summers provided no help, he was not the parker we have seen before. his days in pittsburgh are surely numbered but hes writing his own ticket out by running like that

I'm the first to admit that I'm a huge Parker homer, but there is a reason for that. I'm not a fan, but lets look at the reason he is looking slow and hesitant. No holes can do that to you.

I think he playe dlike *** last night, no doubt. However, the thing that is pissing me off, are the people calling for Moore to start, b/c he had a "much better game than Willie", is ridiculous.

If you have 3 RB's with 4+ carries in a game, and none of them have a more than 1.6 YPC, you have to think. You think, "gee none of these guys have similar runing styles, so what do they have in common?"

They have 5 things in common: Max Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Essex, and Colon.

K Train
09-11-2009, 08:41 PM
i agree, the only time moore will be in there like that is when we completely abandon the run...which we did. the thing is im going beyond the **** line, parker looked the worst out of all of them and had no burst at all. i know there was no openings in general but parker looks to be alot slower than what he used to be....personally i think mendenhall needs more carries

DanRooney
09-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh this constant whining about no holes. I hate to break it to you, but ANY RB can run through that gigantic hole that you're looking for. We nee a running back that can run up the middle and consistently get POSITIVE YARDAGE. Hard concept to understand for a Willie homer, I'm sure, but our line is not built for making a 5 yard gap between the tackles. Not that he'd even make it through because he looks like an abused child out there. Running from sideline to sideline then falling at before the first guy even touches him. Hate to break it to you, but Redman could not have done any worse than Willie Parker :popcorn:.

--- Added 9/11/2009 at 06:45 PM ---

The Steelers offense has another thing in common:
-They sucked with Willie Parker in the game who has no versatility
-They were moving the ball effectively with the ever-so-reliable Moore in the game

Dean Denton
09-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Parker, Redman, Bo Jackson....It doesn't matter if there are NO holes to run through. That line needs to get better at run blocking. Crist, bringing in a FB didn't even help. Parker is fine, and there still is no HB on this team that can break a 60 or 70 yard play better. Parker will not be benched, and I doubt we will see Redman...YET!!!!

K Train
09-11-2009, 08:50 PM
summers is no FB...dont call him that

Big T
09-12-2009, 02:00 AM
Redman...Redman...Redman. Get off this dudes nuts. If he was our best option at running back, he would be on the team. Now, how about we think about the fact that Mike Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff know A **** LOAD more about these players then we do. Whoever starts will be the best option. The line created no holes and you can't expect a RB to be successful when you are playing a D with the caliber of the Titans and the line can't create holes. and you CANNOT write Willie Parker off after that one game. He's had almost no work in the preseason and like I said before the line didn't do ****. Now before we start calling for his head, let's give the guy a few games. If he plays like he did tonight against sub-par D's and the line creates holes, then ok, maybe they will consider starting someone else but I say let's have little faith in the coaching staff and the players. They will do what is right for the team.

DanRooney
09-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Redman...Redman...Redman. Get off this dudes nuts. If he was our best option at running back, he would be on the team. Now, how about we think about the fact that Mike Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff know A **** LOAD more about these players then we do. Whoever starts will be the best option. The line created no holes and you can't expect a RB to be successful when you are playing a D with the caliber of the Titans and the line can't create holes. and you CANNOT write Willie Parker off after that one game. He's had almost no work in the preseason and like I said before the line didn't do ****. Now before we start calling for his head, let's give the guy a few games. If he plays like he did tonight against sub-par D's and the line creates holes, then ok, maybe they will consider starting someone else but I say let's have little faith in the coaching staff and the players. They will do what is right for the team.

Yeah obviously they knew Willie Parker was the best option to start the game...well until he was yanked :lol:

K Train
09-12-2009, 03:17 AM
coaches are very stubborn, going with the "well they know more than us" approach isnt always correct....why bother caring or posting anything about the team other than GO STEELERS if you are just gonna say in coaches i trust. you can make opinions without the coaches approval

Dean Denton
09-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Redman...Redman...Redman. Get off this dudes nuts. If he was our best option at running back, he would be on the team. Now, how about we think about the fact that Mike Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff know A **** LOAD more about these players then we do. Whoever starts will be the best option. The line created no holes and you can't expect a RB to be successful when you are playing a D with the caliber of the Titans and the line can't create holes. and you CANNOT write Willie Parker off after that one game. He's had almost no work in the preseason and like I said before the line didn't do ****. Now before we start calling for his head, let's give the guy a few games. If he plays like he did tonight against sub-par D's and the line creates holes, then ok, maybe they will consider starting someone else but I say let's have little faith in the coaching staff and the players. They will do what is right for the team. If these coaches knew more then we did, then why in the hell did they resign an entire OL that cant run block at all? Sometimes I swear they do things just to **** me off....

TEEMONT
09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah obviously they knew Willie Parker was the best option to start the game...well until he was yanked :lol:
it didnt matter what RB was int he game, and if you think it did, you're a moron.

****ing Walter Payton would have had about 2.5 ypc in that game....nothing you can do when ur getting hit the backfield on EVERY play.

I still fins it hilarious that people are hating soley on Willie. Mendy and MeMo had the EXACT same problems. People hate Willie b/c he's not the Bus. Besides anyone who is calling for Redman to be brought up to the team automatically loses any football credibility. I played college ball at the same level as Redman...lol...thats why I think he sucks.

LatrobePA
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Willie pissed me off with his fruity running Thursday, but look him to have a huge game next Sunday (42 yards)....lol

TEEMONT
09-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Big Snacks, I agree completey. I was studying run plays during Super Bowl and after last nights game there are a couple constant themes to the lack of running game. 1st, Hartwig is consistently, I mean consistently getting blown back. This disrupts the entire flow of the running. It makes the rb studder step before hitting the hole and it also disrupts the path of the pulling guard that has to run around Hartwig therefore getting to the hole step too late.

Hartwig is not the answer. I do not understand this extension. I fully expected Stapleton and Legursky to battle for center next year.

Secondly, Parker takes too many steps and hesitates to jump up in hole. Granted hole is not that big but with Titans it wasn't going to be. Yet there were opportunities there but Parker danced to much instead of busting up in there for at least 2-3 yards. Another thing I don't like what he does it he tries busting it outside when the easier route was taking the 2-3 yards in the hole. These plays where he busted it outside led to negative or no yards everytime. I'm sorry, but he's not worth resigning for amount he will demand. I will be happy with Mendy, Moore, and Redman next year.

Keep the money and give it to Casey.

Redman will never make this team. They will bring in another RB to the the 3rd string guy. The only way Redman makes it is if three are injuries.

I'm gonna put all of the Redman jock carriers in the same camp as the Summers jock carriers.

LatrobePA
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Jock carriers, good one...I was on Summers sack, but have seen the light! He's a scrub, Davis was a better lead blocker IMO!