PDA

View Full Version : "Fast" Willie Parker Not the Fastest in the NFL

steelcurtain09
11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Not to put a damper on the great performance by Parker, but I noticed something durig the game.

Twice during today's game Parker broke long runs that as soon as he reached the flank of NO's d-line I immediately turned to my father and said, "TD hes gone." Twice, Willie ran out of steam before reaching the endzone and was tacled from behind. Now both these plays are sweet for anyone Steelers, but it is kind of disturbing that there are so many people in the league that can catch him this year. If I had said the exact same thing when Parker broke one last year I would have been correct. It seems that "Fast" Willie has lost a step or two because he has bulked up some.

What are your thoughts on this? Was he caught because it was near the end of the game? Or is he really not that fast?

BTW that was a great game.

PITT23
11-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Well those dudes who caught him weren't slow and the field is getting worse every week but I'm not trying to make excuses for him...maybe he just isn't super super fast, just super fast?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Personally, I don't care if he scores on those long runs or not. It's a back breaker for the opposing defense, and sets up the offense with prime field position to score. He doesnt have to be the fastest in this league but he runs faster than most so I'll take his production anytime.

When he's on a flat out run and he looks back, he looses a step and allows faster DB's to catch him. He'll still outrun most everyone in the league. The players that caught him today had good angles coming in to try and tackle him so credit them for being smart and fast.

floodcitygirl
11-12-2006, 08:59 PM
What a pleasure to watch him today! We've been missing those big plays. Great job Willie!

Steelerfanatic58
11-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Also on both of those occassions the defensive players were running a cross field angle. giving them the advantage in reaching the point where they caught him first. Its very difficult to outrun someone in a straight line when they are on a good pursuit angle.

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 09:02 PM
The turf has a lot to do with the speed of the players. That turf was awful today since they had rain all week, although, I think Willie was super fast today and it was turly amazing to see him pull this game out. What a game, and what a performance.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-12-2006, 09:08 PM
The turf will only be getting worse.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 09:10 PM
You got that right...Willies actual 40 time just like any other back depends on the turf too. Heinz has never been condusive to speed guys because its a slow field that most definately gets worse as the year wears on.

I'll take bursts like that all day every day whether he gets caught or not.

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I am with you there, Matt. If that field was a bit more decent, I would think Willie would of took off for paydirt both times. That field was so badly torn up, every stinking play, you see the turf get ripped up in large chunks. I seen a few pictures where some of the players were covered entirely of dirt on their footwear and not even seeing the spikes. That is what I call pathetic.

AZ_Steeler
11-12-2006, 10:18 PM
The defenders obviously just had a good angle on him, once Willie gets out in front of anyone he's usually not caught. Granted I have only seen highlights so I don't know if he was run down from behind or he the defenders just had good angles :dunno: maybe someone can clarify for me...

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 10:22 PM
It was a little of both, but Willie for the most part had probably 3 to 5 yard differental between him and the defender. I like to know where the hell they got that speed from? Granted I thought Willie would of been long gone down that field into paydirt. I am not disappointed with Willie at all, it was the turf condition that stopped him and the lucky speed of the defenders. On the 72-yard run, AZ, they did come in at an angle. On the 76-yard run, they was playing catch-up and luckily enough got tripped up in the nick of time, had Parker had his foot up higher, he would of been gone for sure. Lucky break for the Saints that time.

AZ_Steeler
11-12-2006, 10:28 PM
When a player has the angle there isn't much the runner can do but try and take away the angle. That will come in time for Willie, especially if he takes a page or two from Hine's book because he his pretty good at taking the angle away from the defender.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 10:33 PM
DB's are taught to get the best angle to run down the ball carrier. Yes that will come in time with Willie learning to not just run straight ahead but to take angles like Hines does in the open field.

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Hines is about the best player to watch that theory in prospective. He was dynamite today also.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-13-2006, 12:26 AM
If the field is bad for one player it's just as bad for the other player. It's definitely going to be getting worse with WPIALS coming up soon !!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Willie is still a young back and learning the nuances of playing RB. He's learning to be patient and he's only going to get better.

Koopa
11-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Not to put a damper on the great performance by Parker, but I noticed something durig the game.

Twice during today's game Parker broke long runs that as soon as he reached the flank of NO's d-line I immediately turned to my father and said, "TD hes gone." Twice, Willie ran out of steam before reaching the endzone and was tacled from behind. Now both these plays are sweet for anyone Steelers, but it is kind of disturbing that there are so many people in the league that can catch him this year. If I had said the exact same thing when Parker broke one last year I would have been correct. It seems that "Fast" Willie has lost a step or two because he has bulked up some.

What are your thoughts on this? Was he caught because it was near the end of the game? Or is he really not that fast?

BTW that was a great game.

on the highlights i saw, the db was running in a good angle that's why he was able to catch up to willie, and just because they call you fast doesn't mean you can't be caught, fast ppl get tired too, he was just running out of steam, he was able to break does long runs cause he was to fast for the linebackers and defensive linemen to catch up to him......db's are usually faster then most backs anyway.....

edit: i should've read others post before i responded cause i pretty much just repeated other ppls post lol.....