PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Willie Parker likely to get short-yardage nod

SteelersWoman
09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Steelers will enter the season without a designated short-yardage/goal-line back.

But a simple connecting of the dots makes it clear that Willie Parker will get most of the carries in those situations.

"I think we'll go with the guy that's in the ball game unless he's dead tired then we'll put a fresh body in," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday when asked who will be the goal-line back.

Parker is the starting running back and second-year man Rashard Mendenhall is No. 2 but the pair won't split carries. Coach Mike Tomlin said that last week and Arians reiterated it yesterday after practice.
"Willie's the man," Arians said.

Parker rushed for 11 touchdowns in 2006 but has just seven rushing touchdowns the last two seasons combined.

The two-time Pro Bowler will have a couple of new lead blockers this season.
Frank Summers will play the position Carey Davis held the previous two seasons. Fellow rookie David Johnson will serve as an H-back much like Sean McHugh did in 2008.

The Steelers don't have a traditional fullback on their roster but Arians didn't sound concerned about how the 5-10, 240-pound Summers, who played running back at UNLV, will do leading blocking in front of Parker.

"Take the ball out of his hand and you've got a fullback-type body, and he showed good explosion," Arians said of Summers, who rushed for over 1,600 yards in two seasons at UNLV. "He's actually showed more explosion without the ball than with it. He got lit up a couple of times running down the sidelines in training camp but take the ball out of his hands and everyone jumps out of the way."

The battle for the No. 3 wide receiver spot behind starters Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes had not been resolved -- and probably won't be.
Arians said both Limas Sweed and rookie Mike Wallace will serve as the No. 3 wideout at times.

"There are different packages for both those guys so there's not really a third guy; it depends on the package that they're in right now," Arians said. "It gives us some flexibility that way."

The Steelers will likely open the season dressing just four wide receivers with teams only allowed to activate 45 players for games.
Arians said he "would doubt it right now" that veteran Shaun McDonald will dress for games.

What I have bolded is what concerns me.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Short yardage is going to be a "by committee" type of deal until they find something that works, just like they did when Russell burst onto the scene and found his niche last year.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-09-2009, 06:00 PM
:banging: when are they gonna learn?

K Train
09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
willie is a good short yardage guy....the problem is the oline is not

Big T
09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Exactly...I completely agree. If the oline can do it's job (that's a BIG if) Willie will be completely capable of being the short-yardage/goal line back.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-09-2009, 06:56 PM
willie is a good short yardage guy....the problem is the oline is not Exactly

:banging: when are they gonna learn?
Whos they?? the rest of the posters, like yourself, who dont realize he's our best option by default!

TEEMONT
09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
if only issac redman.....lol

SteelCityKid5
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I'll take Willie. Every season is a different season. Proof: Derek Anderson went to the Pro Bowl and is now backing up Brady Quinn. Plus, Willie's in a contract year, so I like it.... for now:reddevil:

Stlrs4Life
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Short yardage, I would prefer Menenhall.

scott0326
09-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Very true.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Frank Summers eventually becomes the short yardage guy.

K Train
09-09-2009, 09:18 PM
id be utterly shocked if he ever becomes anything period

scott0326
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
id be utterly shocked if he ever becomes anything period

I'm not saying Summers will be anything good, I'm actually surprised he made team, I'm just saying he could possibly be short yardage back because he's so big and can fall forward for a yard if needed. However, thats all he's good for.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Willie was fine as the goal line RB when he rushed for 13 TD's back in 2006....I think people forget that Willie did set the Steelers single season record for TD's with 16 that year.....13 rushing and 3 receiving.......the problem is the blocking up front the last few years.......I don't think Willie will ever approach that 13 again like he did in 2006 but with better blocking then he should have no problem getting around 7 or 8......

K Train
09-10-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm not saying Summers will be anything good, I'm actually surprised he made team, I'm just saying he could possibly be short yardage back because he's so big and can fall forward for a yard if needed. However, thats all he's good for.

ive seen him run and ive seen that big body get pushed back and planted on his ***....if hes a short yardage guy....fu*k