PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with our D?

Steelersfan
11-12-2006, 07:54 PM
I know we had some key injuries this game but our D hasn't played well at all this year. Sure we had a couple good games but we haven't been able to stop anyone and I'm getting tired of all these below average players getting their first ever TD (Bush), first time someone threw more than 2 TD's in a game (Vick threw 4).
Everyone's an all-star against us! :banging:

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I wish I had an answer for you SF. There is something wrong with the defense. That the coaching staff cannot solve.

AZ_Steeler
11-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I think all the injuries are starting to catch up with them. Any word on Troy, I didn't get to see the game.. :dunno:

Steelersfan
11-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Well our subs actually held on to make plays at the end to win the game unlike our starters lately.
I haven't heard anything on Troy yet.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Troy has a concussion

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
We made Colston look like a damn hall of fame WR today ! The Defense just isn't the same all year long. They have 1 good series and follow it up with a terrible one. How in the world do you let a team drive 70+ yards in 1 minute just before halftime !

Hburg
11-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree, the D doesn't seem to be holding pressure like we all know they can. Brees had way too much time on so many downs it was not funny. The secondary was always held alive by Troy but now the blitz seems to be weakened as well. I think injuries are part of the problem but there also seemed to be a lil lack of fire in the way the D-Line went after the quarterback.

BuFu

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I know we had some key injuries this game but our D hasn't played well at all this year. Sure we had a couple good games but we haven't been able to stop anyone and I'm getting tired of all these below average players getting their first ever TD (Bush), first time someone threw more than 2 TD's in a game (Vick threw 4).
Everyone's an all-star against us! :banging:

Well you should know you have all the answers.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
The steelers pass defense is predicated by getting pressure on the QB. If we dont do that, we dont have a good pass defense. Its been evident all year long that our D isnt up to snuff in the pass rush dept.

Yet we still are a top 10 defense in the league ! :scratch: I just dont get why our pass rush is so bad this year.

Friday133
11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
frankly i think the defense is a carbon copy of the 2003 version. no pressure on the QB, unable to get off the field on 3rd and long, and a questionable secondary. although today are secondary was definatly down 2 starters.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
That's the whole thing right there, no pressure. Without pressure our defense isnt squat.

When we lead the league in sacks, pressures, hurries, etc. we know we're doing our job and getting to the QB. Injuries sure do not help the situation either but overall this unti just seems to underachieve most of the time.

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I think the stats are lying in saying we are one of the top ten defenses in the league.

BBC
11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I think the stats are lying in saying we are one of the top ten defenses in the league.

The defense has just been put into horrible situations this season because of the 24 turnovers and terrible kick coverage. They've been fine this year.

This week they looked terrible, but when they lose Troy they're a completely different defense.

They haven't been last year's D, no doubt, but they're still capable if they're healthy.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 10:31 PM
That is part of the problem with the D. The offense has put them in terrible field position, so has the special teams. No excuses though, in years past they came through more often then not.

BBC
11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
That is part of the problem with the D. The offense has put them in terrible field position, so has the special teams. No excuses though, in years past they came through more often then not.

When did the Steelers ever average 3 turnovers per game?

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Well for the first time tonight, we can lower that average since they had ABSOLUTELY NONE.

Steelersfan
11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
When did the Steelers ever average 3 turnovers per game?

It's not just the turnovers BBC. They have let teams march right down the field on them like they aren't even there. Our D started the year pretty good but has since been part of the problem. Even with the turnovers you would think that they would make one or two plays on any of them. But instead it is usually one play after the turnover and the other team has a TD. The TD drive the Saints had just before halftime is a good example. Granted we had some injuries tonight. That doesn't make up for the past 4 or so games.
Wasn't it the Denver game Ben threw an INT at the 3 and then Denver went 97 yards for a TD?

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-13-2006, 12:22 AM
No pressure makes for lond day. Bottom line is we got the W

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Well for the first time tonight, we can lower that average since they had ABSOLUTELY NONE.

The turnover stats definately improved tonight as did the stats defending the run..but the pass defense stats sky rocketed once again.

Prosdo
11-13-2006, 08:16 AM
HUGE problem is 3rd downs. They are letting teams complete long passes to get the first downs when they need like 8 yards or more. The secondary needs to step up.

BBG7
11-13-2006, 10:10 AM
HUGE problem is 3rd downs. They are letting teams complete long passes to get the first downs when they need like 8 yards or more. The secondary needs to step up.

I couldn't agree more. When we have a team pinned 3rd and long and consistantly let them convert, that is a big problem. I think our injuries in the secondary hurt us tremendously.

House of Steel
11-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I think this team needs to address the secondary in the offseason and get some real corners that won't allow a 3rd down burnout. This is getting sickening to see this.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Ike is going to continue to be our starter, he's just in a stretch right now that he's got to work through. He'll be a better player for it as time goes on. McFadden will take over for Townsend next year so we'll need some depth at CB, but those 2 will be the starters, there's too much talent there and too much invested in them not to be.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Ike is going to continue to be our starter, he's just in a stretch right now that he's got to work through. He'll be a better player for it as time goes on. McFadden will take over for Townsend next year so we'll need some depth at CB, but those 2 will be the starters, there's too much talent there and too much invested in them not to be.

Well I agree Top Gunn that Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden do have talent. But I don't think either will ever be shut down type corners. Really there are no shut down corners anymore thanks to all the rule changes that favors the offensive players. So I think the Steelers could still upgrade at corner if a top corners is available during the draft.

But in defense of our secondary they would be helped by a consistent pass rush. The Steelers pass rush has disappeared the last two games.

Prosdo
11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Good point Black. The lack of pass rush is probably making the corners seem worse.

PITT23
11-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Ike is the problem with our defense or at least 75% of it. Through the power of my friend's TiVo we went back between plays and watched him on a completed pass for the Saints...most of the time he screwed up big time.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Ike showed he's got the talent and ability to be the type of corner we need him to be. I can't really judge anybody's struggles this year on this team because everyone in the game has had some type struggle and difficulty.

He is having a rough time this year and teams will continue to pick on him until he starts defending his man better. We have no more options so he's our guy.

augustashark
11-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Imo, I think it has everything to do with the scheme we are playing. Yesterday we at sometimes played the Tampa two and they were doing what you have to do to beat that defense which is attack the middle (between the numbers) of the field. Why we would play that D against a team out of the NFC South makes no sense to me. I also don't see alot of the A and B gap cross biltz out of our nickle that we seen in the playoffs last year. Foote and Farrior were outstanding in last years playoff run. We have never been that good at getting to the QB with just our D-line. Roll a saftey to the best receiver and lets get after the QB with our outstanding LB'S!