PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Steeler Influences

Bigsnacks
09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Howzit Stillers fans, I want to get to know my fellow Stiller fans out there on who/what Influenced you to love the black and gold? here are my top 10 Steeler Influences

1. J.Macias (My Dad without him loving the black and gold I would be lost)

2. The Chief (The GREATEST Steeler of all time without him there is no 6 Super Bowls)

3. Chuck Noll (1 of the greatest coaches to ever grace the NFL)

4. Myron Cope (TV turned low and radio turned up to listen to Myron)

5. The terrible towel :cope: (Your not a fan if you dont own one, To me its like saying I'm hard religious but I dont even own a bible lol)

6. Iron City Beer (Hey what went better? And the cans are bad *** collectibles even after they have been drank.)

7. Three Rivers Stadium (I nearly shat myself going to my first MNF Steeler game ever)

8. Mean Joe Green (His jersey was the very first jersey I ever own @ 5 and I wore till the numbers wore off):lol:

9.Terry Bradshaw (I always remember my pop yelling about him good or bad not to mention my brother is named after him)

10. Rocky Bleier (Saw the movie and was hooked and same brother named after this player too)

C'mon Stiller nation I wanna hear what yinz has to say!

blackngold29
09-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Very cool question.

1. My family, we get about 60 people together for playoff games--family only
2. The Rooneys, best owners in the world
3. Steeler Nation, can't explain how awesome it is to find new pics of people all over the world (oh yeah, and that guy that took his Towel up to the space station too). News stations in Pittsburgh have different sections on their website or during their broadcast for "Steelers" and then "Sports".
4. Myron Cope, his death moved me to tears. he deserves every bit of respect that he gets and probably more.
5. The Terrible Towel, people who claim it's just a towel don't know what they're talking about
6. Steel Curtain, greatest D ever.
7. The smashmouth mentality of the team over its entire history, the early teams weren't exactly great, but they still knocked the snot out of opponents weekly.
8. Mike Tomlin, sure he's young but the way that he takes it a game at a time is what I consider to be the perfect coaching formula. I very rarely make predictions, but I would be shocked if he never makes it back to the SB.
9. Those Lombardi trophies, in the end championships are everything right?
10. The lead-up to and GAMEDAY, not a better feeling in the world than pulling that jersey on.

Honorable mention: Jerome Bettis, had Ben not made The Tackle everything may have been completely different, but the way that he retired on the podium after the SB was such a tear-jerker.

tuggysteel822
09-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Yeah, very cool and unique.

1. The immaculate reception (my dad filled me in all the time about it until I was old enough to understand how great it really was)
2. My dad (see above) best steeler fan in terms of knowing the history.
3. Bill Cowher. Such an intense coach and it was awesome getting into steeler nation with him as coach.
4. 70's steelers. Nuff said. Lol
5. Steeler games with extended family. 20 Kopecs watching games, yelling at the tv and yelling at each other. Haha crazy.
6. SB XXX. First SB watching the steelers. Rod Woodson coming back from the ACL injury and making that tackle and bouncing up and pointing at it is the stuff of legend.
7. Chuck Noll. No finer coach in history.
8. The Rooney family. Best ownership in sports.
9. The worldwide steeler nation. It's just unreal.
10. The "Here we Go" song. Nothing was more addicting in 94' and 95'. Haha

LarryNJ
09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
1: My dad and uncle listenining to the games on a transistor radio.

2. At 14 years old carrying in loafs of italian bread into the games at 3 Rivers for my brother in law and cousin. The loafs were hollowed out and each had a 5th of whiskey in it.

3. Before the Here We Go Song.... We got the feeling...Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl.

4 Pre Game rides on the Gateway Clipper

5. Dobre Shunka (Jack Ham's fan club), Franco's Italian Army, Gerela's Gorrilla's, Frenchy's Foriegn Legion, Bradshaws Brigade.

6. Road trips to Cleveland. For $45 you got the bus ride, all the beer you can drink on the bus, ticket to the game and a steak dinner at the Brown Derby on the way home. Great Great times.

7. The Chief

8. Steeler fans by the thousands at RFK stadium in DC

9.Chuck Noll

10. Three Rivers Stadium

igor0190
09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
2. At 14 years old carrying in loafs of italian bread into the games at 3 Rivers for my brother in law and cousin. The loafs were hollowed out and each had a 5th of whiskey in it.

Haha, I love that! :yellowthumb:

Scorp
09-09-2009, 12:58 PM
1. My Dad Pete Macias and my uncle John Macias (thank you for introducing me to the Pittsburgh Steelers)
2. The Rooneys, who are without a doubt the best owners in the world.
3. Everything SteelerNation is and what it stands for
4. Myron Cope and the Terrible Towel....nuff said. Thanks Myron. God rest your soul.
5. The Coaches. The reason why we have 6
6. Standing by the Steelers. Win, lose or draw
7. Steelers football is the best football
8. Watching great players of my generation. Hofamers and future Hofamers
9. Immaculate Super Bowl XLIII-The greatest Super Bowl ever
10. Knowing i'm one of millions of faithful Steelers Fans across the world. Lets go get #7.

greg1964
09-09-2009, 01:08 PM
1. Was born and raised in Pgh: and was 10 when they won the first Super Bowl: I can remember all Six of them: Heck I'm old enough to remember when the Pirates were good.
2. The Rooney family
3. Myron Cope: I remember listing to him on the radio, BEFORE Sport Talk radio was big
4. The Steel Curtain (70's)
5. Bliztburgh teams (90's)
6. The Bus and Ward. (good guys)
7. The Coaches (only three in my lifetime)
8. Steeler Nation (Worldwide)
9. They could beat Dallas (I hate any team that calls themselve America team...I don't remmeber that election)
10. Six Super Bowl and going for seven this year.

TEEMONT
09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
1. I'm from Pittsburgh....

The End

greennick
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
1. Got given a Steeler hat more than 20 years ago
2. Moved to Pittsburgh 10 years later
3. Stared watching NFL (being Australian and before the internet and widespread cable TV, you used to not get much NFL info over there)
4. I guess it was only natural to follow the Steelers after all that

I'll be at a bar in the US tomorrow getting tanked with a bunch of Pittsburghians, should be good.

Zachintosh66
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
1. Dad
2. G-pa
3. Dad (& his family) were born and raised in Tarentum (sp?)
4. Dad said as I was a kid "see the guys in the brown? They are the bad guys!"
5. Rod Woodson
6. Greg Lloyd
7. Jerome Bettis & Hines Ward (2 of my all time favs)
8. Best uniforms in the game!
9. DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!
10. Jack Lambert (listening to all the tales my dad would tell me as a kid)

kgreen
09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
1. My Dad: without him I wouldn't be a Steeler fan.
2. The Steeler Nation: We have the best fan bas ever. I love how we are EVERYWHERE.
3. The Rooney Family: The best in the business.
4. The Terrible Towel: Poised to strike again!
5. Team's of the 70's: Started our awesome winning tradition. I love watching highlight reals of those guys.
6. Chuck Noll: Criminally underrated coach. I think he's up there with Lombardi. I mean he's only won the most Super Bowls right?
7. Hines Ward: I just love watching that man play and how he smiles/laughs every time he gets the ball.
8. Uniforms: I know it is a weird thing, but I love our uniforms! The Black and Gold! We also have the best logo in the league.
9. Mike Tomlin: I know its only his 3rd year, but this man is so impressive as a coach/leader. I am so excited to see what he does in the future.
10. Sixburgh!

I have other reasons/influences like Bill Cowher, Renegade, etc. I just can't think of all them right now.

blackngold29
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
8. Uniforms: I know it is a weird thing, but I love our uniforms! The Black and Gold! We also have the best logo in the league.

I've always like the one-side of the helmet thing; we're the only ones! :helmet:

spyboots
09-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm a cradle Steelers fan (Pittsburgh my hometown), so it's been in my blood since birth.

RIVERS OF STEEL
09-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Born in central pennsylvania. nfl team coice was easy. moved to pittsburgh in the 60s. the rest is history. thank you steelers. got all my official steelers gear out ready for sum football.

Bigsnacks
09-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Some interesting influences to say the least :cope::helmet::tt02:

kgreen
09-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I've always like the one-side of the helmet thing; we're the only ones! :helmet:

Yeah I know it is so unique and symbolic. You know who you are playing when you see our helmets/jerseys.