PDA

View Full Version : O-line question

cmerrifield
09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Alright, I really hate to ask this, but I am curious. Do you all think the O-line are players who arent very talented and have reached their ceiling, or do think that they are more talented and better than they have played for whatever reason (laziness, bad coaching, wrong position, etc.) The O-line as a group or individuals, but I really am curious what people think. The Front Office and coaches have just resigned the 5 starters this offseason, so that is why I am curious. I am really looking for intelligent answers here, not "The line SUCKS" kind of answers.

K Train
09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
i think the coaching leaves much to be desired but the players are nothing special

Starks is a mammoth, but hes soft and heavy footed. He ENGULFS players in the run game and is very powerful, but hes slow and doesnt play anywhere near his abilities.

Kemoeatu is a fat slob, probably the worst player on our line....i wish he went to the jets. Hes pathetic in pass blocking and while hes very powerful and somewhat mobile at pulling for being a fatass he misses assignments way to much and the only thinkg he brings to the table is he got such a massive girth that when he does land a block in the run game that player is effectively out of the play....not to mention his anger issues and how he wants to kill a player everytime he gets his hand on him.

Hartwig is ****ing awful...gets no push and gets blown back in pass blocking. most of the sacks against ben came from the interior which is unheard of.

Essex is badass imo, i was nearly begging for him to move to guard last year....the steelers seem to like drafting 6-3 tackles and watching them struggle, but when kicked inside this year i think essex is going to be a good one. I thought resigning him was more important than resigning kemoeatu. Im glad hes finally getting his shot.

Colon is the best player on the line and i know alot of you dont agree or just hate him but he is a good player and has been since day one. i always said that tomlin wants him on the field, he makes us better, this camp and preseason he has shown he can be great....is he playing out of position? absolutely but damnit i respect him for improving every year and making a name for himself now.

as far as backups go.

Urbik will be a waste of a pick, Foster will be a steal at guard, legursky has the stones to hold his own in the interior line

Big T
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
^^^^^^Perfect^^^^^^

as the season goes on, I see the steelers running to the right more often than not. The right side of the line is solid and should improve over last year. The left side DEFINITELY needs some work.

SteelerRush
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Alright, I really hate to ask this, but I am curious. Do you all think the O-line are players who arent very talented and have reached their ceiling, or do think that they are more talented and better than they have played for whatever reason (laziness, bad coaching, wrong position, etc.) The O-line as a group or individuals, but I really am curious what people think. The Front Office and coaches have just resigned the 5 starters this offseason, so that is why I am curious. I am really looking for intelligent answers here, not "The line SUCKS" kind of answers.
The line sucks...
Just kidding cmerri...
Seriously I think we will see improvement over last year definently. Colon has made a big improvement and I think Essex is an upgrade from last year. I am ok with the signing of Hartwig. I though he played pretty good in the preseason. I don't like Starks as a starter. The only thing he has going for him is his size but the quick moves beat him everytime and Ben will be running right a lot this year. Kemo has not shown me much as a pass protector but he can move people in the run game which is a big problem for this line. If they start jellin with Essex in there we may see some big runs this year. I am hoping anyway.

SteelCityKid5
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I think they still are bad but, I think theyll improve this year

KemoTherapy
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
They ignored the line for too many years and tried to fill it with mid round draft picks and free agents. The results cannot be too much of a surprise. They seem to have a preoccupation with drafting tight ends every year when some of those picks would have been better spent on the o-line.

andyg1984
09-09-2009, 06:38 PM
the worst part is how many good interior lineman were in the draft .. if the problem of the line was the right side - which it was- imagine how different these conversations would be had we moved up and picked up oher and moved colon inside ... or drafted duke robinson, herman johnson in late rounds .. but since that is over i will just say i would like to see either a stud center this year or next... if that is not possible a RT and move Colon inside

K Train
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
colon is a FA next year, hes not getting moved inside....he will want top RT money or he will get it elsewhere

steelcitysfinestXL
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
i think the coaching leaves much to be desired but the players are nothing special

Starks is a mammoth, but hes soft and heavy footed. He ENGULFS players in the run game and is very powerful, but hes slow and doesnt play anywhere near his abilities.

Kemoeatu is a fat slob, probably the worst player on our line....i wish he went to the jets. Hes pathetic in pass blocking and while hes very powerful and somewhat mobile at pulling for being a fatass he misses assignments way to much and the only thinkg he brings to the table is he got such a massive girth that when he does land a block in the run game that player is effectively out of the play....not to mention his anger issues and how he wants to kill a player everytime he gets his hand on him.

Hartwig is ****ing awful...gets no push and gets blown back in pass blocking. most of the sacks against ben came from the interior which is unheard of.

Essex is badass imo, i was nearly begging for him to move to guard last year....the steelers seem to like drafting 6-3 tackles and watching them struggle, but when kicked inside this year i think essex is going to be a good one. I thought resigning him was more important than resigning kemoeatu. Im glad hes finally getting his shot.

Colon is the best player on the line and i know alot of you dont agree or just hate him but he is a good player and has been since day one. i always said that tomlin wants him on the field, he makes us better, this camp and preseason he has shown he can be great....is he playing out of position? absolutely but damnit i respect him for improving every year and making a name for himself now.

as far as backups go.

Urbik will be a waste of a pick, Foster will be a steal at guard, legursky has the stones to hold his own in the interior line

Perfect K! I'll add my $0.02:

Alot of our oline problems are due to missed assignments, and thats a knock on coaching! Hands down!

Like K said, Hartwig is the only player who seems to be able to not hold his own. Im not saying he is terrible, but he really is the weak link and its sad he's our C. He needs to improve and im hoping Essex and Chris K can be more effective than Chris-k and Stapleton were last season! Way too many times do you see Hartwig double down on LG or RG's man and let a free man go!

Chris-K is a f'in monster... when he knows his assignment and gets a hat on the right man! Like i said that reflects coaching more than anything. He'll never be a Alan Faneca. But i think he can be VERY serviceable for years to come when he finally learns to play his position!

Essex is gonna be a vast improvement over Darnell Stapleton! He has shined at LT and RT and moving inside may be the best move for him! I think that right side can be something speacial after some time working together.

Colon is a guy who seems to get better and better. He's strong, nasty and is equally effective in the run as he is the pass! He gets credit for being our best Olineman by default last year because he was the only ORIGINAL starter to hold his own all season!

I saved Max for last because i really think he is the key to our oline. I say that because he can play left and right T equally well. His size is his best asset that he sometimes forgets to use. I think he has the best body and natural ability to play his position. His footwork maybe a bit slow to be Bens LT forever. But max is a important piece because he is proven at RT and Colon could bump down and challange for the guard opposite essex next year if we can get a solid LT in FA or draft (unlikely). If thats the case were a C away from a nasty oline!

I look for them to improve for 2 reasons:

1. in all honesty... they cant get much worse! against the run they got no push and missed assignments. Against the pass they get blown apart and miss assignments

2. An oline is 5 men who play as one unit. There is no "you do your job and ill do mine" there has to be some cohesion! That takes time as a group and we have been patch work since the days of Faneca and Hartings! Second season together and only one new starter... i think they will be much better!

cmerrifield
09-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Train, He is actually gonna be an RFA, unless an labor agreement is reached