PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed denies offer

SteelCityKid5
09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Acoording to ESPN Insider and the PPG:

Jeff Reed (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4399) has steadily proven a worthy member of the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) for his on-field performance, while keeping the hopper full over at Deadspin for antics off the field.

The Steelers made an offer to Reed's agent over the weekend, but it was quickly rejected as being far too low, as per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09251/996270-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml).

Since the Steelers don't re-negotiate with current players during the season, this could mean that Reed will be coming to a city near you once the 2009 campaign is through.

This doesn't bode well for Reed, especially after the Steelers extented Hartwig's contract today.

Troyisabeast_43
09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh well who cares at this point and time. Reed is kicking for the Steelers this season which starts in 2 days so that's all Im worried about right now. Im sure things will work themselves out with Reed as time goes on. It wouldnt be a good thing to lose a great kicker like Jeff Reed, but let's just see how things play out before we start assuming Reed is already out of here...

cmerrifield
09-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Reed is very accurate, but not doesnt have the strongest leg, I dont think he will get a huge contract from anyone. Besides, this means Reed is in his contract year, which could be good for us, it will be extra incentive to make the kicks. :lol:

TampaSteelGirl
09-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree! Not worrying about that right now, he just better kick good this year is all I care about!!! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
He'll sign with the black & gold and retire a Steeler!

K Train
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
doubt it....kickers are a dime a dozen

Troyisabeast_43
09-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Tell that to Bill Cowher when he was here because he always seemed to pick the worst kickers and stick with them until they ended up costing him an important game and then he cut them once it was too late. Todd Peterson comes to mind the last kicker we had in 2002 before we got rid of him and brought in Jeff Reed. Cowher stuck with him way too long when the guy was missing kicks constantly and it ended up costing the Steelers numerous games that season...

SteelerAllDay
09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Move over Reed, here comes another UDFA Czech next year.

I little surprised by the Hartwig extension. I thought this was going to be last year for him along with Clark. I see Mundy stepping in more as season goes on and next year was expecting Legursky and Stapleton battle for center. These two moves along with maybe Kirschke or Eason gone would free up money for Hampton signing.

K Train
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Tell that to Bill Cowher when he was here because he always seemed to pick the worst kickers and stick with them until they ended up costing him an important game and then he cut them once it was too late. Todd Peterson comes to mind the last kicker we had in 2002 before we got rid of him and brought in Jeff Reed. Cowher stuck with him way too long when the guy was missing kicks constantly and it ended up costing the Steelers numerous games that season...

bill cowher is an assclown though....you can find a good kicker.

patriots let viniteri go to the colts for wayyyy to much money and they got a replacement who has been fine ever since

BlackGold4vr
09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Kickers are not that hard to find. I think good punters are more rare. Most place kickers in the NFL are functional and only a few are game breakers. Let him walk if he wants to go kick for another team. I thought that Czech kicker had a stronger leg than Reed. :2cents:

LatrobePA
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I guess you're right stupid *** Chad Johnson kicked....

Troyisabeast_43
09-08-2009, 05:38 PM

patriots let viniteri go to the colts for wayyyy to much money and they got a replacement who has been fine ever since

Gostkowski has missed a lot of big kicks for the Pats since being on the team replacing Vinateri. I believe he missed one in the Super Bowl when they lost to the Giants where Vinateri was always nothing short of automatic...

K Train
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
im not saying we get gotskowski....im saying we find a replacement capable of kicking at hienz field....there ALOT of college kickers, i have a hard time thinking theres none that could kick in the pros...personally i like brett swenson from msu and aaron pettrey from osu

or i mean resigning reed, a 2 time superbowl winner to a top dollar deal and not resigning woodley or holmes next year could definitely be the better route

:rolleyes:

Iron City South
09-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Reed needs the Steelers a whole hell of a lot more than the Steelers need to extend Reed.

It wasn't long ago the Steeler picked him off the farm when nobody else would even give him a sniff ....

K Train
09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
good way of putting it

SteelerRush
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I agree the Czech kid did have a stronger leg. Reed is a clutch kicker at Heinz but he doesn't kick off very deep and that helps the other team start in good field position. I would keep him but he needs to have another strong season then we'll talk if he wants to stay.

Blazedby92
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM

My thoughts exactly

TEEMONT
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM

a replacement who went int he 6th round of my fantasy draft...lol

we clowned that guy for 10 more rounds...

--- Added 9/8/2009 at 07:12 PM ---

Reed needs the Steelers a whole hell of a lot more than the Steelers need to extend Reed.

It wasn't long ago the Steeler picked him off the farm when nobody else would even give him a sniff ....

didnt he run scout team at UNC with Willie?

blackngold29
09-08-2009, 11:40 PM
I really like Reed, becasue besides that run-in with the paper towel dispenser he doesn't cause problems, he does his job, he's not a bad tackler, he's the only kicker that doesn't wear long sleeves when it's 2 degrees outside, and oh yeah, he's the only kicker who has proven himself at blustery Heinz Field consistantly.

Who knows, maybe if others are given the chance they'll be just as good. But I've always been a fan of maybe paying a guy a little more because he has proven himself, and I think the Rooneys do a better job of that than anyone. Though I find it odd that a kicker would not take less money so he could play with the Steelers instead of getting a full wallet on the Lions. Maybe he will compromise, I hope so.

And have you seen his truck? How many kickers have that truck?
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/DarthHonus29/Reedtruck.jpg

Black@Gold Forever32
09-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Kris Brown was one of the most accurate kickers in Steelers history until Heinz Field opened in 2001......Brown imploded in 2001 which he left the Steelers and signed with the Texans....Heinz Field is a night mare for kickers and Reed does make most of his kicks at Heinz Field which is important but at the same time I don't want the Steelers to over pay for him either.......If his agent keeps on playing hard ball then the Steelers can find another kicker to master Heinz Field....There might be some bumps in the road just like Kris Brown/Todd Peterson....But Jeff Reed is replaceable.......

DanRooney
09-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Ben will find a way to keep his butt-buddy on the team

tuggysteel822
09-09-2009, 05:53 AM
As great a kicker reed has been, if he wants too much, he'll have to walk. The steelers know there's other talent out there and they'll find it.

Captcoolhand
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Maybe they need to contact House of Steel(HOS) Remember, he did everything from waterboy to every position to down right coaching, He's our real Superman....http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1605/lolak.gif (http://img513.imageshack.us/i/lolak.gif/)