PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig Signs Extention

SteelCityKid5
09-08-2009, 03:31 PM
According to Ed Bouchette:

The Steelers came to one final contract extension before the regular season starts when center Justin Hartwig today signed a four-year, $10 million contract. The deal includes a $2.1 million signing bonus.

It will be the final contract extension the team does this season, sources say.

Hartwig enters his second season as the Steelers starting center since he signed as a free agent in 2008.

Sir Blitzelot
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
ESPN's John Clayton has just reported that Steelers' center, Justin Hartwig, signed a contract extension with the team.

--- Added 9/8/2009 at 01:49 PM ---

Update: The signing is confirmed on Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/article/109886/

cmerrifield
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Not a bad deal, not much guaranteed money and not a huge contract. It almost seems like the Steelers were seeing if they could lowball someone who really didnt want to be an FA next year, and Hartwig took the bait.

K Train
09-08-2009, 04:18 PM
wonderful

DanRooney
09-08-2009, 04:30 PM
This is awesome. With Kemoeatu, Starks, and Hartwig extended in the offseason, we can be sure to have the worst offensive line for at least the next 3 years!

Arians must be hiding his boner right now.

Big T
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Terrible

BlackGold4vr
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Hartwig is only slightly better than the turnstile was (Sean Mahan). He is no Mike Webster, Dermonti Dawson, or even a Jeff Hartings. I can't get that image out of my mind of Hartwig getting used and abused in the SB in the endzone. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Man, we couldn't have given some of that money to help sign Jeff Reed? :nonod:

oh well, can't win em all....yippee!!!

Zachintosh66
09-08-2009, 06:00 PM
At least this rules out Stapleton getting a shot next year! Thank God!

Richmond Rukus
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
what was his salary going to be this year? This is a very cap friendly deal. Only 2.2 guaranteed. If his salary is substantial this season, would this deal end up saving the team money even if he is cut at any point after this season? If so, I applaud the move.

K Train
09-08-2009, 06:16 PM
At least this rules out Stapleton getting a shot next year! Thank God!

stapleton is much more of a center than hartwig and stapleton did well playing guard last year which is completely out of position for him

Zachintosh66
09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
stapleton is much more of a center than hartwig and stapleton did well playing guard last year which is completely out of position for him

riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt :whatever:

guess were not watching the same games... nvm, we agree to disagree again

SteelCityKid5
09-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I doubt he plays his through his contract. He's weak and center is the probably the most important part of the o-line and we have Hartwig .... yay

Stlrs4Life
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't mind this signiong. Was cheap, and sad to say,. he's probably our best OL.

K Train
09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't mind this signiong. Was cheap, and sad to say,. he's probably our best OL.

thats funny cause with his lack of push in the run game, and his sweet ability of being blown back 4 yards on every pass play i have him ranked 4/5 of the starters

Dude487
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM

I disagree K. Stapleton seems just too weak to be a center, in the AFC at least. When the colts super undersized linemen were blowing him off last season it was just noticeable he could not be a center here. His speed and agility translate well into pass protection, but he still has to get a lot stronger

He could be a damn good center in a team that faces a lot of 4-3 defenses, like the eagles

I doubt he plays his through his contract. He's weak and center is the probably the most important part of the o-line and we have Hartwig .... yay

Hartwig is able to handle the NTs in the afc north, he is definitely not weak. He's not a good run blocker or really good at pass protection, but he can handle his own

thats funny cause with his lack of push in the run game, and his sweet ability of being blown back 4 yards on every pass play i have him ranked 4/5 of the starters

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. He was the most consistent lineman we had last season. Colon would be the best if not for his physical shortcomings. He seems poised for a great year though

K Train
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
he was the most consistent at giving up sacks...he led all centers in that category. i would rather give up sacks off the edge than allowing the DTs to blow up the backfield before a hand off takes place or before ban can even make a read. Ge doesnt have the stones to handle any DT, not a NT like rogers, not an end like Ngata and not an eagle like bunkley.

stapleton is too weak to play guard, but he did well for fill in duty for an UDFA, he gets stronger i think he will be a good player on our line....hartwig is BARELY an upgrade over mahan, who was a catastrophe

Dude487
09-08-2009, 10:32 PM
he was the most consistent at giving up sacks...he led all centers in that category. i would rather give up sacks off the edge than allowing the DTs to blow up the backfield before a hand off takes place or before ban can even make a read. Ge doesnt have the stones to handle any DT, not a NT like rogers, not an end like Ngata and not an eagle like bunkley.

I never pay attention to those sacks allowed stats. Considering he had inconsistency at guard in his left and weakness at guard at his right

He's not perfect at handling NTs, but he's better than a lot of centers out there

stapleton is too weak to play guard, but he did well for fill in duty for an UDFA, he gets stronger i think he will be a good player on our line....h

Can't argue with that :yellowthumb:

but it's a big if. Especially considering he'll be entering his 4th year and coming back from knee injury

Richmond Rukus
09-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not upset with this signing at all. He is getting paid basically a backups salary with only 2.2 mil guaranteed. Even if we decide to go in another direction he would be what I would consider quality depth on the line. I am a salary cap idiot, but from what I have read, we will not save money on this signing should we cut him at some point, but we won't be breaking the bank either. That said, I don't know why you cut a guy like Hartwig at what seems to be backup salary. Most will probably agree we would rather have a stronger center, but few would be upset with Hartwig as center depth.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
seems to me this money might have been more successfully used signing one of the "biggies". Hartwig is sufficient at best,we keep signing stop gaps until we get our next stalwart,ala Webster or Dawson.

SteelerRush
09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I am not upset with the signing, clearly we did this to keep him as a back-up down the road. I do think he is better then Mahan was and last year he didn't have much help from the guards as they were just trying to watch their own positions. I think Essex will help with some of the bigger NT and the line will be improved over last year. If not it will be another year were Ben leads the league in sacks. :yesnod:

KemoTherapy
09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Meh, the saving grace is that NFL contracts are not guaranteed. I don't think he'll come close to collecting all that is coming to him.