PDA

View Full Version : Fast Willie has career day !

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Willie had a monster, career day today !

22 rushes, 213 yds, 2 TD's !!! Way to go buddy !!!! That's why we got him, breaking those long runs is what he does best !

Koopa
11-12-2006, 08:36 PM
they just said, he's the first person since barry sanders to have two 70+ yard gains.......i really like willie, espically when we use him like this, run after we pass, that's the best way to use willie, he is not a every down back that you can count on. but when used like he was today you can count on him everytime..

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Hot damn, Im proud of him. He did an awesome job today !!! He'll get those short gains and then bust out some HUGE runs.

He said he apologized to his team for barking out those comments last weekend, but he stepped up today.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Well I wasn't mad at Willie for making those comments. It was the truth. About time somebody stepped up. I forone always have stuck by Willie Parker and today he showed again the few in the Steelers Nation that he can be an every down RB in the NFL. The second most rushing yards in a game for a Steelers RB. What a day and hats off to the whole team for showing some guts and pulling out the win today. I'm proud of the whole team.

My only concerns where has the pass rush gone?

Koopa
11-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Well I wasn't mad at Willie for making those comments. It was the truth. About time somebody stepped up. I forone always have stuck by Willie Parker and today he showed again the few in the Steelers Nation that he can be an every down RB in the NFL. The second most rushing yards in a game for a Steelers RB. What a day and hats off to the whole team for showing some guts and pulling out the win today. I'm proud of the whole team.

My only concerns where has the pass rush gone?

today didn't prove that at all, it just proved that he'll break long runs but other then that not have that good of a game....i hate to sound negative even though i'm really proud of what he did today, but today it did not prove that one bit, when you get 148 yards on 2 runs, that's not an every down back, if he would've got what he did on maybe 30 runs then ok, that proves he can be a every down back, but what he did today doesn't

PITT23
11-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I thought he played well today on those outside runs which we probably should have been trying for a long time before this.

AZ_Steeler
11-12-2006, 08:59 PM
I hope Reggie Bush was taking notes because Parker put on a clinic today!!! :cope: Awesome job Parker just need to keep it up and do stuff like that one the road!!! :tt02:

Steelersfan
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
today didn't prove that at all, it just proved that he'll break long runs but other then that not have that good of a game....i hate to sound negative even though i'm really proud of what he did today, but today it did not prove that one bit, when you get 148 yards on 2 runs, that's not an every down back, if he would've got what he did on maybe 30 runs then ok, that proves he can be a every down back, but what he did today doesn't

I agree with you Koopa. I have always liked Willie, just not as an every down back. We need to find a bigger back to mix in with him. That's not a knock on Willie. It's just the way you win games in the NFL. But if we do stay with the type of offense we have now we need to rebuild the D to match that style.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with you Koopa. I have always liked Willie, just not as an every down back. We need to find a bigger back to mix in with him. That's not a knock on Willie. It's just the way you win games in the NFL. But if we do stay with the type of offense we have now we need to rebuild the D to match that style.

We have the back in davenport to compliament Willie. Need to get him involved.

Hburg
11-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Willie is not an every down short yardage back, that is true. But it is good to know that he has learned to muscle those few extra yards when he can't always break free. When given a hole or enough room around the corner he can break loose and the man got wheels so he hits nitro and blasts off!!! He did well in short yardage goal line situations with his speed to break through a small hole into the end zone or around the corner into the endzone. I agree that he needs a power back to compliment him and I think Davenport is a good answer to that for now, I also liked Davenport returning kicks today. He's not overly fast but he was reliable and powered through the lines pretty well.

Reggie Bush may have gotten his first touchdown in scrimmage today, but that was more a credit to a trick play than to his actual running ability. While he keeps complaining and expressing frustration about not being able to get the big runs Willie fought every down he played and made two huge ones against him. Maybe Reggie could learn a thing or two from how Willie has learned to handle his game. I'm loving Willie as our speed back right now and I hope the team can keep working on implementing him in a way that he can get those big runs more often!!

One thing is for sure:

Willie Parker > Reggie Bush

BuFu

PITT23
11-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I hope Reggie Bush was taking notes because Parker put on a clinic today!!! :cope: Awesome job Parker just need to keep it up and do stuff like that one the road!!! :tt02:

Great point AZ...and he could also learn how to hold onto the ball from Willie.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Ok Barry Sanders wasn't an every down RB? Know Willie Parker isn't Barry Sanders. Sanders is one of the alltime greats. But they both share a same type of playing style. I can't believe that some still don't think Willie is an every down back since he isn't a huge fat ***. I love the power running game more then anyone. But backs like Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis don't grow on trees.

News flash people even though Willie was caught behind both times on his long runs. He still punched it both times for the TD from short yardage. I

Steelersfan
11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Ok Barry Sanders wasn't an every down RB? Know Willie Parker isn't Barry Sanders. Sanders is one of the alltime greats. But they both share a same type of playing style. I can't believe that some still don't think Willie is an every down back since he isn't a huge fat ***. I love the power running game more then anyone. But backs like Franco Harris and Jerome Bettis don't grow on trees.

News flash people even though Willie was caught behind both times on his long runs. He still punched it both times for the TD from short yardage. I

It's not bashing Willie. And if you want to compare Barry with him just take a look at how many times Barry went to a playoff game much less won one. They are both gifted backs but not the type that help a team win game in and game out.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM

Koop sorry but I disagree. Sorry but who cares if Willie gets that many yards on 30 carries or 22? Willie has shown all year he can carry the load. I know you say he struggles against top defenses. Well so does LaDanian Tomlinson. The Steelers always shut down LT. The Steelers always have a good run defense.

Willie before today was on pace to have 1300 yards and 16 total TD's. That sounds like an every down back to me. Now after the game he had today only improves those chances for those numbers or even better numbers. Quit hating people.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2006, 09:37 PM
It's not bashing Willie. And if you want to compare Barry with him just take a look at how many times Barry went to a playoff game much less won one. They are both gifted backs but not the type that help a team win game in and game out.

Don't you think the overall talent of the Lions had more to do with Barry not having playoff success? Also I only compare Willie to Barry in style. I don't think Willie is even close to the RB Barry was. But Willie is pretty damn good.

I don't care if the RB is small or huge. Just as long at they produce. True Willie won't wear down a defense like a Jerome or Franco would. But that doesn't mean Willie Parker can't be an every down back. I don't think Priest Holmes or Marshall Faulk wore down defenses like big backs do but they still where every down backs.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Willie is entrenched as the Starter, he's going to continue to be an every down back for us so we might as well get used to it. I'd like to see Najeh get some more carries in the game on a regular basis to be a good compliment and yet another weapon for us on offense.

The boy runs hard, runs tough, and remember this. The offensive line is as much as responsible for Willie's production or lack thereof depending on what game you want to talk about. The OL hasnt been that great this year, so therefore Willie's numbers would seem to be more down than we're used to on a game by game basis. Think about it, you can't fault Willie for "not being an every down back" when the OL hasnt done squat for many of the games this year. He needs the OL just like Najeh does, Haynes, Kuhn, and just like Jerome did.

I believe in the kid and when our OL is playing well, you can see he does well. His strength is his speed and his benefit that is he breaks those long runs at virtually anytime.

Hburg
11-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Willie is entrenched as the Starter, he's going to continue to be an every down back for us so we might as well get used to it. I'd like to see Najeh get some more carries in the game on a regular basis to be a good compliment and yet another weapon for us on offense.

The boy runs hard, runs tough, and remember this. The offensive line is as much as responsible for Willie's production or lack thereof depending on what game you want to talk about. The OL hasnt been that great this year, so therefore Willie's numbers would seem to be more down than we're used to on a game by game basis. Think about it, you can't fault Willie for "not being an every down back" when the OL hasnt done squat for many of the games this year. He needs the OL just like Najeh does, Haynes, Kuhn, and just like Jerome did.

I believe in the kid and when our OL is playing well, you can see he does well. His strength is his speed and his benefit that is he breaks those long runs at virtually anytime.

Matt, those are my thoughts exactly.

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Just relax, nobody is going to get banned for voicing their opinion. Its just a different way of looking at it from various members.

The main thing is here, as I mentioned, Willie is FIRMLY entrenched as our starting RB and that is not going to change. IMO he's earned the right to be our starter. He's got the chance to be a 1400 yd rusher this year atleast and he's scoring alot of TD's too so he's doing his part but the OL has to be more consistent or none of it will come to fruition.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Just relax, nobody is going to get banned for voicing their opinion. Its just a different way of looking at it from various members.

The main thing is here, as I mentioned, Willie is FIRMLY entrenched as our starting RB and that is not going to change. IMO he's earned the right to be our starter. He's got the chance to be a 1400 yd rusher this year atleast and he's scoring alot of TD's too so he's doing his part but the OL has to be more consistent or none of it will come to fruition.

Well anyway I responded to Koopa and I was just joking about the quit hating but I'm told to get my head out of Willie's *** or something to that effect. I never said Willie Parker was great or a Hall of Fame type RB. Just saying the kid really has carried our offense for the most part this year. That proves he can carry the load in the NFL. I don't think defenses respect the Steelers passing a game and Willie has proved to play well most of the year with defenses focusing on him.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Comparing Willie to anyone is unfair because each person their own strengths and weaknesses. Jerome is unparalled in this league, and his leadership was just as important maybe even more than his production on the field which speaks for itself.

Prosdo
11-12-2006, 11:55 PM

Ditto to that. Willie is a good back no doubt. We just need a mix up. Congrats to Willie on an outstanding game!