PDA

View Full Version : Here's a nice rumor for you....

SteelCityKid5
09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
According to Jason La Canfora of NFL.com...

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=7487

I highly doubt this....

Blazedby92
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
That would be a HUGE mistake, the bad thing is there is usually some truth to the rumors. Hope not though

Zachintosh66
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
this rumor is crap :whatever:

A. Casey knowing its contract year, showed up to camp "ready to play" unlike just about every other pre-season.

B. Hoke is adequate. But Ziggy and Ra'Shon wont touch the field at a 3-4 DT.

C. We wont ever switch to a 3-4 as long as Lebeau is still here! We dont have the players to make this shift either. 4-3 DL and 3-4 DL are almost opposites in some aspects. Very Very few DL are talented enuff to be good in both systems. If and when we switch to a 4-3 it will take a least 2 season to complete. So they wont start switching with 1 game left in the pre-season.

JensK
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Imo, they should trade him after this season (because hampton will own the world this season!) and get a couple of high draftpicks for him, get a new future NT and a OT y voila

Big T
09-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Not going to happen

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
There is now way on God's green earth that Tomlin releases Hampton at this point. The season opener is right around the Corner. Hood is not the eventual replacement for Hampton anyways and Hoke is the only viable backup so we'd have no depth. This rumor is crap.

igor0190
09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I would be seriously angry and upset if the Steelers EVER changed to a 4-3 defence. I don't believe in it, and the reason I fel in love with the Steelers is because of their LB play and aggressive defence. I would be crushed. :banging:

cmerrifield
09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Imo, they should trade him after this season (because hampton will own the world this season!) and get a couple of high draftpicks for him, get a new future NT and a OT y voila

You cant trade him after week 6 and this is the last year of his contract, which means the Steelers have no rights to him. So they would have to sign him to a deal, then trade him, then his entire signing bonus would come off of next years cap. We arent going to trade him, but I am not sure we will resign him either, he has already said he will test the market if he is not resigned by this year. Someone will probably pay him more than we can afford, which leaves a HUGE HOLE in our amazing Defense.

JensK
09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
You cant trade him after week 6 and this is the last year of his contract, which means the Steelers have no rights to him. So they would have to sign him to a deal, then trade him, then his entire signing bonus would come off of next years cap. We arent going to trade him, but I am not sure we will resign him either, he has already said he will test the market if he is not resigned by this year. Someone will probably pay him more than we can afford, which leaves a HUGE HOLE in our amazing Defense.

ah, i did not know that. Thanks for explaining it though! :) hampton will not stay a steeler thats all there is to it really, which gives us a dire need to draft a NT, which i hate, since its a no brainer that we should go o-line, but in the first around 7 rounds, but we'll be forced to go NT, probably with our first pick

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
ah, i did not know that. Thanks for explaining it though! :) hampton will not stay a steeler thats all there is to it really, which gives us a dire need to draft a NT, which i hate, since its a no brainer that we should go o-line, but in the first around 7 rounds, but we'll be forced to go NT, probably with our first pick

Hey JensK....Next years draft is loaded with DT's so I think there is a good chance the Steelers still could get a very good NT in the second round.....A player to track this year is Boo Robinson from Wake Forest......As of right now I don't think he is a first round pick...But alot can change from now until the NFL combine.....

I would be very happy if the Steelers drafted Anthony Davis with their first round pick and Boo Robinson with their second......Davis is the LT for Rutgers.....

JensK
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I heard talk about Boo Robinson, but havnt actually had an oportunity to watch him play (getting college football in Denmark is tough!). People seem pretty high on him. I hear there are pretty many talented tackles in next years draft aswell, so maybe we could either go tackle nt or nt tackle. I know Train is pretty high on Cody and he'll probably go first round. I don't know. I guess there really are to many different unknown elements to it right now to actually predict anything

K Train
09-01-2009, 04:02 PM
al woods from LSU could be an option too.

trading him for someone like shaun rogers would be sick. rogers doesnt want to be a brown and mangini doesnt like him...rogers isnt the best NT since hes more inclies to rush the passer but hes a big strong body in the middle.

i hate the idea of switching to a 43, the 34 is a big boy defense and our players are too good to go to a 43, i just think its a major downgrade that would make aaron smith, troy, woodley and a few others questionable fits for the defense and even though timmons and hood would play well in it i think it would be a downgrade.

funny we would even entertain the idea with all the defenses switching to a 34 lol

steelersforever1983
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
people forget the 70's steelers was a 43 and won 4 superbowls. the entire 76 afc probowl defense was mostly our d so don't tell me 34 is better. it works for todays game cuz of the rules that favor offense. look the at what giants d did to the patriots o in the superbowl that wasn't a 34 that was a 43 so don't tell me 34 is the king of defense.

K Train
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
people forget the 70's steelers was a 43 and won 4 superbowls. the entire 76 afc probowl defense was mostly our d so don't tell me 34 is better. it works for todays game cuz of the rules that favor offense. look the at what giants d did to the patriots o in the superbowl that wasn't a 34 that was a 43 so don't tell me 34 is the king of defense.

i will tell you that because i truly believe that....yeah ok the 70s played it, thats fine....theres alot better athletes now and the 70s guys couldnt run this defense effectively

high school and college roll with the 43....the big boys play a 34. having the linebackers be the core of the defense is what makes the steelers so good.

43 is good if you have stud pass rushing lineman across the board and a great rotation of them...which we do not

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
I heard talk about Boo Robinson, but havnt actually had an oportunity to watch him play (getting college football in Denmark is tough!). People seem pretty high on him. I hear there are pretty many talented tackles in next years draft aswell, so maybe we could either go tackle nt or nt tackle. I know Train is pretty high on Cody and he'll probably go first round. I don't know. I guess there really are to many different unknown elements to it right now to actually predict anything

I bet getting college football in Denmark is tough.....Boo Robinson is a guy I like alot and I will be following him this year.....I like Cody a ton also but I don't if the Steelers will be in position to get him.......

OT,NT,LB,S are looking like the biggest needs going into next year.....I put LB on the list since Farrior is no spring chicken so an ILB could be a need....We need more pass rushers at OLB to....Not much behind Woodley and Harrison.......

igor0190
09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
i will tell you that because i truly believe that....yeah ok the 70s played it, thats fine....theres alot better athletes now and the 70s guys couldnt run this defense effectively

high school and college roll with the 43....the big boys play a 34. having the linebackers be the core of the defense is what makes the steelers so good.

43 is good if you have stud pass rushing lineman across the board and a great rotation of them...which we do not

:plus1:

More guys can come from different places in a 3-4. It's more confusing for offences to know where guys are coming from. In a 4-3 you know where both the DT's are going to be and a lot of times the ends as well. 3-4 you have more guys that can play the pass and come on timed blitzes. I'll never be convinced that 4-3 is any good.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM

Nobody has forgotten that the Steelers won 4 Super Bowls with a 4-3 defense.....Plus laid the blue print for the Tampa/2 defenses of the late 90s/early 00s....But the 70s are just great memories now....

I'll take the 3-4 any day and hope the Steelers never switch to a 4-3.........I wouldn't mind maybe running a hybrid of both defenses at times but that would require the athletes to do so......

Big T
09-02-2009, 01:59 AM
If Casey Hampton and Ryan Clark are gone after this year (which is extremely likely) There are 2 guys in the draft that i would love the Steelers to snag one of them in the 1st. Terrence Cody DT, Alabama or Taylor Mays, S, USC. Terrence Cody is a monster and an absolute force in the middle. Taylor Mays is just an animal. Hes 6'3, 230 and runs a sub 4.4 40. He's a freak. Both could end up being top 10 picks but I would love if the Steelers could find a way to bring one of them in. Could you imagine Taylor Mays and Polamalu? Just a thought...

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/TCody.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/cfb.preseason.all.america.team/images/taylor-mays.jpg

I think you can figure out who's who.

K Train
09-02-2009, 02:31 AM
both are freaks...i would prefer cody though

cmerrifield
09-02-2009, 07:30 AM
I read Hamptons interview with Wexell and he wants to win, he said that is very important to him, to be on a winning team. So he wont just sign with anyone in free agency. Also I read that he is actually taking up a couple extra million of cap room because of "dead money" from previous contracts. If that is all true, he is taking up over 5 million of cap room, maybe we could resign him for 2 years 10 million, that would be worth it in my opinion

Big T
09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think Casey would be willing to take a 2 year $10 million deal. He would be able to get a lot more in free agency and he knows that.

Blazedby92
09-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't think Casey would be willing to take a 2 year $10 million deal. He would be able to get a lot more in free agency and he knows that.

It depends on if he wants to win(less money) or lose(alot of money). Ask Kemo

Big T
09-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Kemo isn't a 4-time pro bowler playing at one of the hardest positions in the NFL to find a player capable of the position is he? Though I see what you are saying, they are 2 completely different scenarios.

Dude487
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Hampton could get a contract like haynesworth, maybe a little less, but just like albert he wouldn't win anything with that team

2 years 10 millions sounds like a heck of a deal!

Sir Blitzelot
09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
This rumor is completely bogus, why would they trade him when the opener is next week? :evilshake: