PDA

View Full Version : Timmons may miss opener

yinzer
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Cue Keyaron Fox...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09244/994695-100.stm

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons has a high ankle sprain that has left his status for the Steelers' season opener Sept. 10 against Tennessee in doubt.

Timmons today walked around the team's training facility in a protective boot on his injured left foot. Coach Mike Tomlin has ruled him out of Thursday night's game and said his focus is to try to get him healthy for the opener.

High ankle sprains often have kept players sidelined for two-three weeks.

Timmons, Tomlin's first draft choice after he became head coach in 2007, has replaced Larry Foote as the starting mack inside linebacker. Last season, he served as the nickel linebacker on defense and also started two games at outside linebacker because of injuries.

Sept. 10 would be his first start in a real game at inside linebacker. Keyaron Fox will replace him Thursday night in Carolina and would start if Timmons is unable to play in the opener.

First published on September 1, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09244/994695-100.stm#ixzz0PsPGyfSQ

cmerrifield
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
I really like Timmons, but Fox has been playing well, as long as Timmons isnt out long, the D will be just fine

LatrobePA
09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Key is to stop the run against TN and make old contry singer Collins beat us with his arm!

Blazedby92
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
We will finally see what FO seen when they signed Fox, hopefully not too long for Timmons:crossfingers:

Zachintosh66
09-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Fox is a backup and special teamer for a reason... were screwed... If Timmons misses multiple weeks.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Fox is a monster ST player, and he has filled in on defense at times and played pretty decent but we'll need Timmons back. He is the future at ILB with Farrior so he needs to get on the field. These high ankle sprains though just really suck, we've seen players out for a month with them because they try to come back too quick.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Fox is a backup and special teamer for a reason... were screwed... If Timmons misses multiple weeks.

I think Fox will be fine for a few weeks.....But anything past that could be troublesome.......

igor0190
09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
That sucks... But if we have to rest Timmons week one I think we will be just fine with Keyaron as the Titans are a run first team. Let's hope Timmons gets better fast!

memphissteelergirl
09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Dang! :banging:

Big T
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
As long as hes not out for long, we will be fine. Tennessee is a run first offense and Fox may be better at run support than Timmons...He needs to get healthy fast.

SteelCityKid5
09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
It's a shame hes going to miss some time but, am I the only one in here who wants to see Fox play with the first team? What does Tennessee do well they run and so far Fox has shown he can be an aggressive run stopper. Last time I checked Nate Washington might be out the first two weeks of the season .... cough cough p:yesnod:ssy cough cough

K Train
09-01-2009, 06:13 PM
its really a shame...his speed would be useful with chris johnson on the field....but i like fox for fill in duty

andyg1984
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
just pushes his contributions further behind schedule ...

Blazedby92
09-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I didn't know really how bad Timmons is against the run until I seen this link, I like Timmons alot and hopefull he we improve.
Here's the link for Timmons vs. Fox
http://vimeo.com/6243073#embed

igor0190
09-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Stephania Bell ESPN:

Lawrence Timmons
Injury: High ankle sprain
Date suffered: 8/29

Bellís analysis: Surgery obviously is not needed for Timmons but nonetheless the ankle ligaments need to heal enough to maintain stability in that joint, and he has to be able to move -- run, plant, pivot, cut -- without pain and at full speed. Timmons is ruled out for the last preseason game but appears questionable for Week 1. The first game would only be 12 days post-high ankle sprain which would be a pretty quick return for this type of injury. There are varying degrees of severity of sprains which better allows for prognosis. Without knowing the severity of Timmons' sprain, it makes it difficult to accurately assess. While nothing is impossible and having to assess the player's healing on a daily basis, the fact that he's in a boot now, which is designed to limit mobility and promote healing, makes next Thursday's return appear unlikely. I would more likely project him to Week 2 or even Week 3.

--- Added 9/3/2009 at 01:13 PM ---

I think Timmons is too fast for his own good at this point. He can't utilize his speed until he gains more experience and recognizes where he needs to be. I'm sure Lebeau realizes this and give Timmons his share of run blitzes.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2009, 03:35 PM
High ankle sprains are nothing to mess with, just leave him as questionable but know that he is not going to play in week 1, period. Fox will start, Timmons will rest and by week 2 he'll hopefully be ready to go. Besides the fact that he'll have an extra few days rest before week2 since we play on Thursday night opening week.

Steelers_All_Day_43
09-04-2009, 06:21 PM
"The chance is there," Washington said. "I feel real good right now. The possiblities are strong."However, Washington seemed much more at ease Tuesday with the idea that the best course of action might be missing the return to Pittsburgh."It's all up to coaches' and trainers' discretion," Washington said. "I don't know what choice they're going to make. But, I'm going to be very content with the decision they do make because I know the decision they do end up making will be for my best."

http://www.titansradio.com/Article.asp?id=1481010&spid=27572

Looks like someone might not play us.

JensK
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I think Washington is going to play, even if it is through pain. He probably wants to win this one badly

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Any new updates on Timmon's status? I haven't heard anything else yet so I imagine he'll be a game time decision at this point...

LatrobePA
09-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm guessing it'll be game time decision...

SteelersWoman
09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not unhappy with Keyaron starting--he's a very impressive athlete.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Just got the text from KDKA that Timmons didn't practice today so he's most likely out for this weeks game.

Fox will fill in nicely for Timmons; better to keep him out an extra week and see how he feels than rush him back this early on in the season.

SteelersWoman
09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_642005.html

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Larry Foote had been a starter at right inside linebacker since 2004 and proved to be particularly stout against the run.

The Steelers released Foote last May but a player cut out of the same mold may take his place in the lineup, if only temporarily.

With Lawrence Timmons' status for the season opener against visiting Tennessee in question because of an ankle injury, Keyaron Fox is in line to start at right inside linebacker.

Timmons has not practiced since an Aug. 29 preseason game, and last Friday he got his sprained left ankle re-examined by doctors. Of all the things that might cause coach Mike Tomlin to lose sleep leading up to the 8:30 p.m. game Thursday at Heinz Field, not having Timmons might rank low on the list.

That is how much confidence the Steelers have in Fox, who is entering his second season with the team.

"He made plays all preseason that gave us a great deal of trust in him," Tomlin said. "This guy can play. If called upon I know he can uphold the standards of the Pittsburgh Steelers."

While Timmons will start if healthy, Fox has carved out a bigger role for himself on the defense that ranked No. 1 in the NFL last season. A special-teams stalwart -- his teammates voted him a co-captain of the special teams -- Fox will also play on the Steelers' goal-line and short-yardage defense. Carolina running back DeAngelo Williams found out last Thursday about Fox's ability to stuff the run.

On the first series of the preseason finale, Fox dropped Williams, who rushed for 1,515 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, for a two-yard loss on third and one.
"I feel like one of the strong points of my game is tackling and stopping the run," Fox said. "My biggest thing is just getting to the football."

Fox got to the Steelers in March of 2008 following a signing that barely registered a ripple with other teams courting marquee free agents.

He spent four seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, but Fox sustained a serious knee injury in 2005 and became expendable when the Chiefs used the 15th overall pick of the NFL draft that year on linebacker Derrick Johnson.

His arrival in Pittsburgh bolstered the Steelers' special teams as well as their depth at linebacker.

Now Fox is in line to make only the fifth start of his career. And if he plays a lot like Foote, who is now with the Detroit Lions, there is a decided difference between the two.

While Foote proved to be one of the more chatty players on the Steelers, Fox doesn't say a whole lot and prefers to stay in the background.
On the field, however, he can be a different person.

"He's a monster," Steelers outside linebacker Andre Frazier said. "Whenever you talk to him he's real relaxed, cool, calm. He's the same way on the field, but once the play starts the beast comes out of him. He's not too cool and calm when he's rocking somebody. I guess he has that inner drive that forces him to go out there and work hard every day."

That hard work could eventually lead to an opportunity to start somewhere else or even with the Steelers. If he is thrust into the lineup Thursday, there is little concern among the Steelers' coaches and players.

The same goes for Fox, who said he is much more comfortable in Dick LeBeau's defense than he was at this time a year ago.

"Last year I was able to squeak through the preseason with limited calls and making a few checks and stuff but I don't think I was really prepared for a full season and knowing 100 percent of what I was supposed to do," Fox said. "This year is a lot better for me."

Ironman
09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not unhappy with Keyaron starting--he's a very impressive athlete.

This is the same stud who said he wasn't satisfied with just being a backup, this is a warrior who wants a chance to prove his worth. If Fox reminds me of anyone, it's the late Larry Foote. He's quick, but this guy understands how to hit. Fox is more than willing to put in the work, I hope he continues the strong tradition of LB dominance in the PA. I was excited when we picked him up last season, I'm even more excited to see how he reacts as an integral part of our special teams, and defense. Throw it down K-Fox!