PDA

View Full Version : Line Observation

SteelerAllDay
09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I haven't been as critical as most of the contributors on the SA regarding PS o-line play. Mainly because last year was first year this group played together. Lets not forget that this group that ended wasn't the group that started. Simmons was the rg and Smith lt. Injuries forced Stapleton in at rg and Starks later in the year at lt. It was Kemos first year as a starter replacing perennial pro bowler Faneca. At center was newly signed Hartwig, that came from two good running teams, Tennessee and Carolina but still first with this unit. Colon was a guard at Hofstra learning to play tackle in the nfl.

We keep telling ourselves that the FO knows what it does and its a good evaluator of talent, but why do we seem to forget this when it comes to the line. These guys all can play at this level but they need to play together for a couple of seasons. Again this year, we will have a new rg, Essex. And I think we will be better for it. Essex has been in the system for few years now, longer then Stapleton. He will be an upgrade based purely on time and experience. Stapleton will come into his own as well. I remember how some of us, a lot of us, liked Stapleton as UDFA. So what happened? He got tossed into the fire after an injury to the starter. Lets give this guy a break. I still see him as starter at some point, maybe center.

I have seen and reviewed all PRE-SEASON games up to know. I emphasize pre-season because we can not forget what we are watching here. These games are to try different things, put players in different situations to see how they respond. After reviewing a lot of the running plays, I saw a lot of good things from the o-line and a lot of things that need to be improved on. A lot of times the blame was on the rb for not picking right hole, or hesitating running up into hole, or just not letting it develop. I also saw crappy blocking by Speath, which is why I think Johnson should replace him. (Speath has got to go) But I also saw plays that all this did happen and execution was very good but more often then not, the bills, redskins, and arizona had 7-8 guys in the box. Not even Minnesota or Carolina can consistently run well against these defenses. They may have one or two big runs but not consistent. Which is what we have seen so far. Mendenhall has had a few runs of 9-12 yards against these defenses, but thats all. Which leads us to pass protection, that I think has been improved this year. Ben has just been Ben, holding ball too long or just scrambling to make things happen.

So again this year, we are not going to see the big running attack of the Steelers return, but it will be improved especially as the season gets older. After all, best running teams like Carolina and Minnesota didn't go that far last year because their passing games were as bad as the Steeler running game. Its hard to have both. But a decent running game and solid passing game combined with nasty D will get you far, every year.

I like this o-line, and will look forward to watching them gel throughout season. BTW, based on previous pre-season games, Urbik, Foster, Legursky and Parquet should be our back ups. Hills on ps. Versatility of these four help them especially with Stapleton on IR and Hartwig getting up in age and often injured.

What does Steeler Nation think?

yinzer
09-01-2009, 12:21 PM
i'll let you know sunday, November 1. (BYE week)

Blazedby92
09-01-2009, 12:35 PM

I second that

TampaSteelGirl
09-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I second that

Yea I kind of third that...

LatrobePA
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Right side good / Left side not so good! Short and sweet!

SteelCityKid5
09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Some on here say BYE WEEK but if they play bad against the Titans you know your little fingers are going to be typing away on here complaining about the o-line

KemoTherapy
09-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Not a big fan of Spaeth myself either.

KRAZYRIDE
09-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Yup Pre-Season 3rd team defenders aren't in the loop and our line better be able to block the no matter how much they suck. And we could have both Passing and a Running game if we had a good Line which is the most important part about a Football team.

cmerrifield
09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I think after the preseason, we will see a whole lot more runs to the right than to the left

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I think the Steelers have given up 3 sacks in 90+ pass attempts this pre-season......So I'm encouraged that the OL will give Ben some added time in the pocket this year......I think they still struggle in the run game but I hope they can become adequate in the run game....We were spoiled all those years by the Steelers OL consistently blowing their man off the ball and dominating in the run game......

Overall the Steelers OL should be better in 2009.....

Blazedby92
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Some on here say BYE WEEK but if they play bad against the Titans you know your little fingers are going to be typing away on here complaining about the o-line

Your right, probably be back after week one because they whooped our arses last year.

And we could have both Passing and a Running game if we had a good Line which is the most important part about a Football team.

You think,lol

LatrobePA
09-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Teams this preseason have been bringing the blitz, the Bills brought less than any team so far, but when they did the line held (except for Starks)....

K Train
09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
alright well rather than say ill wait til the bye week ill tell you now

the right side has been on a path to destruction, essex and colon are simply dominate.

i dont get how this group is so bad at run blocking, colon is a good run blocker and essex has prove to be good next to him but wtf.....starks engulfs guys in the run game and run blocking is the only thing kemo is good at....center is a major weakness

SteelerAllDay
09-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Titans have a top five D. I am not going to freak out if the steelers don't have their way with the titans.

--- Added 9/1/2009 at 05:59 PM ---

the right side has been on a path to destruction, essex and colon are simply dominate.

i dont get how this group is so bad at run blocking, colon is a good run blocker and essex has prove to be good next to him but wtf.....starks engulfs guys in the run game and run blocking is the only thing kemo is good at....center is a major weakness

K, this line needs to play together. I agree with you. Each player has what it takes. They will be fine as the season goes on.

K Train
09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
they had a good D with haynesworth....that giant man made a BIG difference though

SteelerAllDay
09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Teams this preseason have been bringing the blitz, the Bills brought less than any team so far, but when they did the line held (except for Starks)....

Exactly Latrobe.

--- Added 9/1/2009 at 06:01 PM ---

What will you base it on, w-l record or rushing yards.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Colon is looking like he is going to be a beast this year and I'm excited to see him this year......He will probably have one of those brain fart penalties but I'll live with it if he is a beast at protecting Ben and opening holes in the run game.....Trai Essex is so solid in pass pro and I like him in the lineup at RG.......I still think he needs some work in the run game but that right side is looking really good heading into the season....I would like to see Essex at LG though and Kemoeatu at RG....I think having Essex next to Max Starks could help....I agree center is a weakness but Hartwig is better then Mahan.....lol I was hoping maybe Legursky could win the centers job but he looks better as an OG......

andyg1984
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
we all know the line sucks - and they do- not just for Steeler standards, many of these guys could not start elsewhere, the interesting question for me is why do we pass on quality lineman in the draft for development guys when the need is so obvious?

$teelersRule
09-02-2009, 12:47 PM
they had a good D with haynesworth....that giant man made a BIG difference though

haynesworth was out that game, i think he was replaced by some rookie that had three sacks or something. Was his name Jones? I dont remember exactaly, i just remember saying wow imagine if big Al was in there...jeeze:eek1:

LatrobePA
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
haynesworth was out that game, i think he was replaced by some rookie that had three sacks or something. Was his name Jones? I dont remember exactaly, i just remember saying wow imagine if big Al was in there...jeeze:eek1:

He's talking the preseason game....THIS YEAR!

$teelersRule
09-02-2009, 05:00 PM
He's talking the preseason game....THIS YEAR!

im pretty sure its obvious he is talking about the titans... go back to 14 and read on from there

yinzer
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Exactly Latrobe.

--- Added 9/1/2009 at 06:01 PM ---

What will you base it on, w-l record or rushing yards.

i'll base it on if they suck or not.