PDA

View Full Version : IRS says retired Steeler owes $631K in back taxes

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
The Internal Revenue Service is alleging that a Pittsburgh Steelers Hall of Famer owes more than half-a-million dollars in back income taxes.

The IRS filed a civil action Monday in federal court in Pittsburgh. It accuses Mel Blount of owing more than $631,000 in federal income taxes between 1994 and 2006.

A summons for Blount has been mailed to the Mel Blount Youth Home, about 30 miles southwest of Pittsburgh. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

The 61-year-old Blount was a key member of the Steelers' first four Super Bowl teams, and his 57 career interceptions remain a team record.

Blount retired in 1983 and was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989 - the same year he established the youth home near Claysville.

How is it anybody get so far into debt on back taxes?? I feel bad for Blount because his youth home is a good thing.

SteelerBee43
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Thats a shame...I'm sure a lot of that is interest and penalties too...maybe had a crooked CPA...

TampaSteelGirl
09-01-2009, 10:46 AM
It's difficult when you let someone else control of your money, if it was a crooked he needs sued back. What a shame and how embarrasing!

Callax
09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I guess We'll have to wait to see how this plays out... a crooked CPA or he's "reluctant" on paying his taxes, we'll wait and see....

lloydfan4life
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Knowing Mel Bount's character, I'm more likely to believe it was whoever was controlling his money.