PDA

View Full Version : First round cuts

SteelCityKid5
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Stapleton on injured reserve; Steelers cut 4 others
Monday, August 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers today placed offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton on injured reserve, ending his season. They also released four players: center Alex Stepanovich, wide receivers Martin Nance and Steven Black and safety Derrick Richardson.
Stapleton became their starting right guard last season after an early injury to Kendall Simmons. Stapleton moved over to center to start training camp when Justin Hartwig reported with a broken big toe.
However, one week into camp, Stapleton stopped practicing because of a knee problem. He had arthroscopic surgery to remove loose cartilage, which was supposed to sideline him for about three or four weeks.
Trai Essex, in the meantime, had taken over at right guard and Hartwig has since returned to assume his position at center.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09243/994489-100.stm#ixzz0PmusTKGi

Troyisabeast_43
08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Stapleton on injured reserve; Steelers cut 4 others
Monday, August 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers today placed offensive lineman Darnell Stapleton on injured reserve, ending his season. They also released four players: center Alex Stepanovich, wide receivers Martin Nance and Steven Black and safety Derrick Richardson.
Stapleton became their starting right guard last season after an early injury to Kendall Simmons. Stapleton moved over to center to start training camp when Justin Hartwig reported with a broken big toe.
However, one week into camp, Stapleton stopped practicing because of a knee problem. He had arthroscopic surgery to remove loose cartilage, which was supposed to sideline him for about three or four weeks.
Trai Essex, in the meantime, had taken over at right guard and Hartwig has since returned to assume his position at center.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09243/994489-100.stm#ixzz0PmusTKGi

Makes having depth on the offensive line now for the rest of the season even more important then before. Hopefully guys like Legursky,Hills and Urbik are ready to step up if need be...

Zachintosh66
08-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Thank god i dont have to see Darnell in a Steelers Uni this year :yellowthumb:

Hopefully next year we draft some good OL and maybe his Steelers career is over :crossfingers:

Now if we can only find a quality starting center (not just backups) and a LT and wed be in there!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2009, 03:12 PM
I was really hoping to see Nance be able to make the team this year especially with Nate gone and Sweed stepping up into his spot, making his chances better than before but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

Troyisabeast_43
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I was really hoping to see Nance be able to make the team this year especially with Nate gone and Sweed stepping up into his spot, making his chances better than before but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

This receiving core with Hines,Holmes,Sweed,along with the awesome emergence of a rookie like Mike Wallace and adding a veteran like Shaun McDonald into the mix are going to be fine and make a big big impact on how this Steelers offense performs all year. I love this receiving core and think it's one of the best ones the Steelers have fielded in years...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't doubt it, if Sweed continues to grow and get better this group we have now could be the best we've seen in a long long time. Hopefully the days of having 2 good WR's and no consistent depth are long gone. Last year Washington finally started to come more for us which was nice since Limas couldn't consistently catch anything but a cold...lol.

BlackGold4vr
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
This receiving core with Hines,Holmes,Sweed,along with the awesome emergence of a rookie like Mike Wallace and adding a veteran like Shaun McDonald into the mix are going to be fine and make a big big impact on how this Steelers offense performs all year. I love this receiving core and think it's one of the best ones the Steelers have fielded in years...

:plus1: I agree with you. This receiving corps is explosive and will make plenty of big plays this season.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Recievers are looking good right now , looks like Sweed is ready to make the transition.

yinzer
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't doubt it, if Sweed continues to grow and get better this group we have now could be the best we've seen in a long long time.

+100000000000000000 this receiving core is SCARY good

andyg1984
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
hopefully we are able to utilize them more effectively , in terms of Ben having enough time to find the open guy as well as enough respect for the run game to keep people even remotely interested in crowding the box against us

cmerrifield
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that these guys went first, probably means they are done, no shot at the Practice squad, is that right? I know you cant say 100% but usually they keep the PS guys so other teams have less time to go after them, right?

Sir Blitzelot
09-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that these guys went first, probably means they are done, no shot at the Practice squad, is that right? I know you cant say 100% but usually they keep the PS guys so other teams have less time to go after them, right?

Agreed... The Steelers are usually very good at evaluating talent, while there is always a chance that these guys could make it with another team, I don't see it happening.

Callax
09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I am not at all surprised that stepanovich was cut...
I was really excited that Pitt signed him, but once I saw him play against washington, I knew he was going to get cut... A Q played better and held his own, while Alex was getting manhandled and looked no better than a stronger sean mahan
Mahan, (WHAT A JOKE!!)
M Nance had a MASSIVE uphill battle to make the team, he might have made last yar's team, but not with the experience Sweed has and the drafting of Wallace...