PDA

View Full Version : Keisel close to sign a new deal...**Update** signs 5 yr deal

JensK
08-31-2009, 03:18 AM
Keisel close to signing new deal with Steelers
Monday, August 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana / Post-Gazette
Steelers James Farrior celebrates with Brett Keisel after scoring in the first half against the Buffalo Bills Thursday.

The Steelers are closing in on a five-year contract with defensive end Brett Keisel that could be finalized today.

Keisel, 30, has been a starter on the right side of the defense since 2006. He likely will be the last player the Steelers sign to a contract extension before the start of the season. He had one year left on the contract he signed in 2006.

Keisel, represented by Monroeville native Eric Metz, was a seventh-round draft choice in 2002 from Brigham Young. He has started 42 games since 2006.

Keisel is the latest in a long line of players the Steelers will have re-signed this season, including linebacker James Harrison, guard Chris Kemoeatu, tackle Max Starks, guard Trai Essex, tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

I guess this means bye bye Clark?

K Train
08-31-2009, 03:42 AM
clark has been seen as expendable since the end of last year

Dude487
08-31-2009, 06:29 AM
Cool

But as long as reed still gets resigned/franchised next year....

DanRooney
08-31-2009, 06:36 AM
Cool

But as long as reed still gets resigned/franchised next year....

I don't even think the Steelers will have any cap space left...maybe we're banking on the uncapped year next season?

This is probably why we were also flirting with Piotr Czech this offseason :stirpot:

--- Added 8/31/2009 at 05:36 AM ---

I really don't understand to it be quite honest. What was the point in drafting Ziggy Hood if we are going to keep our two DEs? He certainly isn't big enough to play NT imho.

cmerrifield
08-31-2009, 07:31 AM
This is probably some insurance and depth at D line, Smith is older than Keisel and I think they are expecting Hood to replace Smith. I am going to guess that this contract will be friendly enough to the Steelers that Keisel could play backup.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2009, 08:37 AM
The Steelers never do anything half assed when it comes to the cap, they know how to literally squeeze every dollar out of it to get the players signed. I don't think they are banking on an uncapped year, but rather this is how we do it every year. We always right very close to the line with the cap, making sure that we don't over extend ourselves.

The front office signed a lot of people this offseason and now with Kiesel on the brink of a deal it will help out a lot next offseason when guys like Reed are due up for a deal.

Captcoolhand
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I thought thats why we picked up Hood to replace Keisel. So, does given Him a 5 yr deal, Hood's going to replace Smith? :scratch: :dunno:

DanRooney
08-31-2009, 08:53 AM
The Steelers never do anything half assed when it comes to the cap, they know how to literally squeeze every dollar out of it to get the players signed. I don't think they are banking on an uncapped year, but rather this is how we do it every year. We always right very close to the line with the cap, making sure that we don't over extend ourselves.

The front office signed a lot of people this offseason and now with Kiesel on the brink of a deal it will help out a lot next offseason when guys like Reed are due up for a deal.

Every year? Ehh...I kind of find it unusual that the Steelers are extending so many contracts. I can't exactly remember a time where we had this many re-signings in the offseason.

igor0190
08-31-2009, 08:57 AM
In any case Keisel would be a good signing b/c even with Ziggy we lack depth along the D-Line. It's not like it will be a big money contract either. It's pretty awesome how the Steelers are re signing all their quality players and we don't have a revolving door like some teams.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
clark has been seen as expendable since the end of last year

gotta say I agree with you when u say he is prob the worst player on our d (Clark that is) But I haven't been this comfortable with a fs since... Troy took over at ss! I just like their chemistry and wonder what we're gonna do if he doesn't get resigned. I think Mundy is proving he's more of a project than a legit starter and I'm not to sure Clark isn't our best option when it comes to price for play!

--- Added 8/31/2009 at 08:25 AM ---

Hope this deal goes through for Diesel... he's solid in every aspect and with hood we know have a stud pass rusher at depth!

Callax
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
With The extension of B Keisel, does this mean that Ziggy will be the NEW DT next year and the release/non-re-signing of C Hampton??

Just wondering if this is the line of thinking of the Head office at Steeler central?

steelcitysfinestXL
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
i think it giv es them leverage... if nothing else! With Hoke and Ziggy i think big snack COULD be expendable! Especially if he want one more big deal!

Captcoolhand
08-31-2009, 09:56 AM
With The extension of B Keisel, does this mean that Ziggy will be the NEW DT next year and the release/non-re-signing of C Hampton??

Just wondering if this is the line of thinking of the Head office at Steeler central?
Never thought about that, Ziggy did play DT.....:thinking:

JensK
08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
I think hood was ment to replace Aaron Smith, seeing that smith is getting kind of old... They are gonna draft a NT next year, im almost certain about that (If there is any true NT's available that is)

Big T
08-31-2009, 10:44 AM
If Casey Hampton is gone after this season(which is extremely likely) I would love if the Steelers could find a way to draft Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama. This dude is huge and a complete stud.

greg1964
08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
This could be good investment for the Steelers: With all these team switching to 3-4, the market price will go up for him next year. With Hood in the fold for the next five years he could swing at both end positions and could free up a roster spot for someone else. Next up....Ryan Clark...Reed and Hampton, but we may have to wait until next season for those signings

SteelCityKid5
08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeahhhh so does this mean that Clark and Big Snack get the kibosh?? It's gonna be hard saying goodbye to Hampton more than it would Clark even though I'm a fan of Clark.

cmerrifield
08-31-2009, 02:35 PM
The deal is done, 5 years, but does anyone know how much, he was slated to make 3.45 million this year, hopefully its a little less and with Stapes going on IR, we could still get one more player in this year, maybe?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Yep just got the text from KDKA..this is a good move considering he's still got a good 5 years left in him so this contract should work out nicely. He's an impact player that does a lot more than just rush the passer; he's quick enough to drop into coverage but strong enough to hold his blocks and let the LB's do their thing.

JensK
08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Steelers re-sign Keisel for five years
Monday, August 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Defensive end Brett Keisel signed a five-year contract this afternoon, most likely the final player the Steelers will sign until after the season.

Keisel was among a large group of starters entering their final season under contract. The Steelers have a policy that once the regular season starts, they no longer will negotiate contract extensions.

Among those starters who will enter their final year under contract are nose tackle Casey Hampton, halfback Willie Parker, tackle Willie Colon, safety Ryan Clark, center Justin Hartwig and kicker Jeff Reed.

Keisel, 30, has been their starter on the right side of their defense since 2006. He is now under contract through 2013.

Keisel, represented by Monroeville native Eric Metz, was a seventh-round draft choice in 2002 from Brigham Young. He has started 42 games since 2006, although he missed six regular season starts last season because of knee and calf injuries.

Among others who signed contracts this year were linebacker James Harrison, guard Chris Kemoeatu, tackle Max Starks, guard Trai Essex, tight end Heath Miller, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker Keyaron Fox.

K Train
08-31-2009, 04:11 PM
hampton and parker wont be steelers next year.....and no hood wasnt drafted to replace hampton, definitely smith eventually, no way he could play nose. getting cody next year would be amazing...just amazing

andyg1984
08-31-2009, 04:12 PM

no way that ziggy plays nose .. he does not see the interior unless it is an obvious passing situation ..

SteelCityKid5
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Good God if the Steelers get this guy tootle loo to Hampton!!

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/08/large_terrence%20cody.JPG

KRAZYRIDE
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
The only reason I see Clark leaving is if Anthony Smith starts. I don't want to see Casey go yet I'd rather be worring about drafting a lineman next year than worrying about a DT unless we go in the later rounds for one. And we really can't let Reed go he's s 100% Steelers kicker and it wouldn't feel right without him

DanRooney
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
The only reason I see Clark leaving is if Anthony Smith starts. I don't want to see Casey go yet I'd rather be worring about drafting a lineman next year than worrying about a DT unless we go in the later rounds for one. And we really can't let Reed go he's s 100% Steelers kicker and it wouldn't feel right without him

What year are you living in? :nono:

KRAZYRIDE
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
If Casey gets released than our primary concern would be DT when it should be the O-line and I don't want Tomlin to Draft a DT rounds 1 and 2..

DanRooney
08-31-2009, 08:01 PM
There's no chance in hell we get Cody. As of right now, hes a top 5 pick and will most likely fall to the Chiefs.

K Train
09-01-2009, 03:06 AM
anthony smith is a packer.

cody isnt exactly a top 5 pick, hes got some concerns with weight, conditioning, motor, laziness....and injuries could happen but theres at least 2 DTs that will go above him. they arent nose tackles but serious prospects

the chiefs couldnt take another dlinemen....i cant see it happening, Dorsey, jackson, and tamba hali are 3 high draft picks in 3 years and 2 of them top 5....they are gonna have to address other areas. i guess it all depends on how tank tyler does...hes freakishly strong, just a little undersized.

i would love if the steelers moved up and got cody or an OT....but whos to say the steelers wont have a top 15 pick to begin with

KRAZYRIDE
09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
O yea haha my bad I'm used to saying Anthony Smith I meant Mundy

Blazedby92
09-01-2009, 02:31 PM
WOW!!!, weight, conditioning, motor, laziness....and injuries
I don't want a guy with this many concerns to play for my team and hopefully the FO won't either. Laziness and injuries are enough to scare me off. I want a player that is going to atleast play for the money he gets payed.

--- Added 9/1/2009 at 01:31 PM ---

O yea haha my bad I'm used to saying Anthony Smith I meant Mundy

I believe Carter would replace Clark before Mundy unless they think he is ready now.

K Train
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't want a guy with this many concerns to play for my team and hopefully the FO won't either. Laziness and injuries are enough to scare me off. I want a player that is going to atleast play for the money he gets payed.

--- Added 9/1/2009 at 01:31 PM ---

I believe Carter would replace Clark before Mundy unless they think he is ready now.
yeah....except hes slimmed down alot and is a manchild that dominates the opposition

JensK
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

You just described Hampton, more or less..