PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Bills thoughts

K Train
08-30-2009, 06:03 AM
Wow....lots to say

Ben looked incredibly sharp, not usually one to come off of injury and play well.....

Limas sweed is a ****ing stud in the making, he had a very limas sweed at texas catch tonight, your looking a a future badass.

Mendenhall fumbled but it wasnt his fault...he got the handoff and there was a guy right there that really shouldnt have been....but mendenhall grew balls tonight, not a great average but he ran with absolute authority and hit the hole like he was out to punish. Run blocking left much to be desired

Pass blocking was ok, run blocking was not.

Joe burnett stepping up big on ST with the blocked FG, he answered a bad game agaiinst redskins with an impressive one

farrior just keeps going....the man gives it all

Shut out? in the most important preseason game? ill take it

Welcome to the steelers Mr logan

yinzer
08-30-2009, 08:30 AM
i'm impressed with the time the o line gave ben to throw. run blocking, as you said, needs to be better. limas sweed is our #3 receiver after last night's display. i still say logan gets a roster spot. our D is amazing.

lloydfan4life
08-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Mendenhall scares me the way he carries the ball not tucked away against his body. I noticed a number of times he was carrying through traffic and it looked like it would have been easy to knock the ball out.

I agree with Ktrain and Yinzer. Logan gets a roster spot. He's going to break a few of those returns this year. :yellowthumb: That kid's definitely exciting to watch!

Captcoolhand
08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
You guys have to remember Stefan Logan is not new to the game:

Logan signed with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League for the 2008 CFL season. He rushed 122 times for 889 yards, and made 52 catches for 477 yards.Trust me, they were sad to see him go.......:yesnod:

Logan was signed to the Steelers offseason roster. He is competing for a spot as a returner, and has impressed the organization with agility similar to Darren Sproles.Yes he has. :clap:

:imho: The dude looks good out there as a returner......

Sir Blitzelot
08-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The Steelers really looked impressive last night. Roethlisberger was in mid-season form and Sweed made some really good catches. The defense certainly performed better than they did last week against the Redskins, and it was nice to see a shutout. I really hope Logan becomes a returner for this team, he is such an explosive player.

cmerrifield
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I know the Oline wont be the strength of the team, but they seem to be getting better with every preseason game. I think they will be ok, they wont give up any 9 sack games this year. They are coming along. And after the way Fox played, I think Timmons will still be the primary backup OLB and Fox will play ILB for Timmons, maybe not during the game, but if Woodley or Harrison are out for a game, I think Timmons will start OLB.

igor0190
08-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Keyaron Fox played very well. I hope they get him a long term contract.
Stefan Logan is going to make the team.
Redman also had a nice game, that long run was beautiful to see. He makes the practice squad at the very least.

LatrobePA
08-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Didn't get to watch the game yet just highlights on NFL.com

But did I see Max Starks sack Ben??? It looked that way!

The short clips I saw looked like he was getting beat a lot!

Other than that this team looks ready for another run!

Sweed, Mendy made me eat crow! Keep it up!!

mateus
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
You guys have to remember Stefan Logan is not new to the game:
Trust me, they were sad to see him go.......:yesnod:
Yes he has. :clap:

:imho: The dude looks good out there as a returner......

well that explains why BC sucks *** this year in the CFL :lol:

Captcoolhand
08-30-2009, 01:37 PM
well that explains why BC sucks *** this year in the CFL :lol:
They did but you always hate to lose your best player...:lol:

SteelCityKid5
08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
The offensive line has so far exceeded my expectations. Keeping in mind it's the preseason, the o-line has shown a nice pocket protection for Big Ben. I used to hate when the Steelers would run run run during the Cowher regime but, now I miss those days when we would put in The Bus and pound the hell out of the opposing team. I hope Arians tries to run more this year. And when I say run, I mean I-fomation smash mouth running. We saw it late in the year last year with McHugh as the fullback and it had some success, all last year some of the offensive linemen were lobbying to run more and I'm in favor of the advocates! :yellowthumb:

Dee Mca
08-30-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree that Logan should make the team as our returner but if he does who should be left out?

Black@Gold Forever32
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Wow....lots to say

Ben looked incredibly sharp, not usually one to come off of injury and play well.....

Limas sweed is a ****ing stud in the making, he had a very limas sweed at texas catch tonight, your looking a a future badass.

Mendenhall fumbled but it wasnt his fault...he got the handoff and there was a guy right there that really shouldnt have been....but mendenhall grew balls tonight, not a great average but he ran with absolute authority and hit the hole like he was out to punish. Run blocking left much to be desired

Pass blocking was ok, run blocking was not.

Joe burnett stepping up big on ST with the blocked FG, he answered a bad game agaiinst redskins with an impressive one

farrior just keeps going....the man gives it all

Shut out? in the most important preseason game? ill take it

Welcome to the steelers Mr logan

We all knew Ben would be fine.....I didn't think his injury was a big deal and some people over reacted like always when its Ben.....

Sweed is going to be a monster and there is no doubt about....He made some really nice catches against the Bills and all pre-season Sweed has looked he is ready to bust out this year....I think he will always have that occasional easy drop but hey all WR's drop passes....

Mendenhall has a look of a "powder keg".....I think its just a matter of time before he explodes and starts showing all the doubter on what kind of talent he really is....I thought he looked really solid against the Bills....The fumble wasn't a big deal....Even the greats fumbled once in awhile.....

My opinion the Steelers pass protecting has been solid all pre-season...I think they're making strides in that department.......Well Essex is very good solid in pass pro so I do think that helps....I really think Willie Colon has looked like a bad *** this pre-season....To me he is the Steelers best OL.......I really like the right side of Essex/Colon......

I agree Ktrain the run blocking must improve but I don't know if it will.....We were spoiled all those years when the Steelers had an OL that consistently blew defenders off the ball and dominated in the run game.....But hopefully this unit improves the more they play together.....

Joe Burnett has showed enough to make the team even with his miscues on a couple punt returns....the kid is going to be a very solid nickel/dime corner in this league....

Farrior is up to 232 and he lookes just as good as ever......Father time has been kind to him....lol

The Steelers defense just looks nasty and I think this group could be even better then last year...If so watch out NFL.....

Logan has made the team no doubt....

Something I want to add.....I think David Johnson could be the best blocking TE on the roster and I think he will make the team as a third TE or even fill McHough's role as a FB/Hback.......I also think Matt Spaeth has improved his blocking...He isn't a bad *** in that department but I think he is improving......

K Train
08-30-2009, 04:09 PM
its really all about sweeds coming out party and mendenhall looked like a new man, no hesitation at all

PittSteelers7fan
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Ben looked great.
Our offense this year will put some big numbers up.
Our defense will be just as good as last year.
Logan makes the team.
Sweed is improving and even though he'll drop some balls
he will upgrade the position over Nate.
Mendy looked good, but needs to hold the rock better.

Hopefully Redman and Reily will make the practice team.

BlackGold4vr
08-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I can't add much to what was already said except that its also good to have D-Sep back in the fold. Whats he averaging 49 yards per kick? I will take that. It will be a shame if Redman doesn't make the team. I still don't see the value in keeping Carey Davis. He gets tripped up on his own shadow most of the time. :helmet:

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-30-2009, 10:39 PM
The offense looked efficient last night, Sweed will be better this year ,usually takes a WR a season or 2. Defense is looking tough as ever. Logan has to make this team ,as much as he is returning, I'd hate to think they are giving him this much work just to showcase him for another team...

Blazedby92
08-31-2009, 09:31 AM
I believe Mendy has alot to prove yet. It's like the announcers said he is running scared, don't wait for the defense to hit you, you hit them before they hit you,run with authority. He doesn't seem instinctive enough, thinking too much and that fumble was his fault because you supposed to protect the ball, that's not going to be the only time someone is going to meet him in the backfield and if you remember he has had a problem with this before, just hope he doesn't become a thurman thomas. He ran alright but needs to deliver the blows himself and hold onto the ball.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-31-2009, 10:33 AM
Its a matter of reps my friend. The longer the game went the better he looked and thats a sign that he needs to get comfortable. Im as hard on him as anyone on this board. We all should be, he is a first round pick who we NEED to start producing as such!

But you cant deny the talent is there! That little high-step he gave right before he lowered the boom on a saftey to finish the run... effing beautiful. The catch and run for a first down... a sign that he is a complete back! I really think/hope its just a matter of time and reps!

Blazedby92
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Its a matter of reps my friend. The longer the game went the better he looked and thats a sign that he needs to get comfortable. Im as hard on him as anyone on this board. We all should be, he is a first round pick who we NEED to start producing as such!

But you cant deny the talent is there! That little high-step he gave right before he lowered the boom on a saftey to finish the run... effing beautiful. The catch and run for a first down... a sign that he is a complete back! I really think/hope its just a matter of time and reps!

I never said I gave up on him, but I'm not gong to jump on the bandwagon until I see more than a half a game of production. I think he is feeling the pressure now and for me I hope he becomes the greatest running back Pitt has ever had, not likly but you know what I am saying, but he needs to hold onto the ball.

Callax
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Logan, A lock for PR or Ko returner
Sweed, worth the 2nd round pick last year will be very good!!!
Mendenhall, getting better, might be FWP's replacement next year!

Defense, no drop off from last year
I love the INT Farrior made. He knew where the ball was going before the QB even cocked his arm!!!!
PRO BOWL, I think SO!!!

KemoTherapy
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I thought Keyaron Fox was a real stud in the game. They need to find a way to get him in the game during real time. He's like a missle flying around delivering devastating hits out there. I thought Mendy was alright out here but he's not exactly a shifty guy who's going to make people miss. Hopefully he and Parker can team up to be a "thunder and lightning" combo as I always thought Parker was at his best when he wasn't getting all the carries and had the Bus there to provide a different style runner to the opposition.

Blazedby92
08-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I thought Keyaron Fox was a real stud in the game. They need to find a way to get him in the game during real time. He's like a missle flying around delivering devastating hits out there. I thought Mendy was alright out here but he's not exactly a shifty guy who's going to make people miss. Hopefully he and Parker can team up to be a "thunder and lightning" combo as I always thought Parker was at his best when he wasn't getting all the carries and had the Bus there to provide a different style runner to the opposition.

I agree with both statements

Troyisabeast_43
08-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Ben looked great and so did the entire receiving core and first team offense. You know what you're going to get with this defense week in and week out. The scary thing is Lebeau has yet to show all of his wrinkles in the defense since they are not really game planning and all the defenses they are showing are vanilla. Only ten more days to go until it counts for real and all these meaningless preseason games are over with. The way the Steelers played on Saturday night it appears they are primed and ready to make another strong run at Lombardi Trophy number 7...

SteelerSteve
08-31-2009, 06:06 PM
****!!! I wish I could have seen the game!!!

andyg1984
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
sweed looks so comfortable .. some of the adjustments he can make to get to the ball w/ such a big frame is crazy .. burnett is going to be solid in this league - hold me to it ..