PDA

View Full Version : Saints @ Steelers Pregame

Steelersfan
11-11-2006, 08:24 PM
House of Steel Week 10 Pregame Summary

( 6-2) http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3835/norze6.gif at (2-6) http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6079/pitfy5.gif
4:15 PM on FOX from Heinz Field in Pittsburgh

Hello everyone, here we are at Week 10 in the National Football League and who would guess that the Steelers, the defending Super Bowl Champions would be sitting near the bottom of the AFC North at 2-6. This has been one rollercoaster ride of a season for the fans in the Steel Nation having to suffer so much turmoil from fumbles to interception to plain sloppyness to Coach Bill Cowher just seemingly lost his insanity coaching this squad. The Saints are last year's version of the Steelers turning around their franchise from a misery of last year's storyline from Hurricane Katrina and playing every single game on the road, to this season's surprising team of the year. The Steelers, we all know are last year's Saints suffering through the worse.

The New Orleans Saints have a Rookie of the Year candidate in Marques Colston who came with one of the last picks in the draft while their first rounder, Reggie Bush has yet to furfill his potential.

The reversal is perhaps as surprising as the Saints are leading the NFC South as oppose to the Steelers spiraling toward playoff elimination in today's game.

Colston, who went to Division I-AA Hofstra and was drafted 252nd overall of 255 players selected, has caught 44 passes for 700 yards and 7 touchdowns. He is fourth in the NFL in receiving yardage and is tied with St. Louis' Torry Holt for the league lead in TD receptions. This guy is going to give the secondary of the Steelers some fits.

Colston became quarterback Drew Brees' primary option last week with Joe Horn out because of a groin injury. The 6 foot-4, 231-pound receiver caught a career-high 11-passes for 123 yards and a touchdown in leading the Saints to a 31-14 victory last Sunday at Tampa Bay.

Horn status is still up in the air for this game. The Steelers are the NFL's eighth-ranked defense, despite the record, are allowing 284.1 yards per game and are ninth-best against the pass with 189.0 yards allowed per game.

Brees has three touchdown passes in each of the last three games, and threw for more than 300 yards in the last two games. He completed a season-best 75% of his passes in last week's game against Tampa Bay 24-32 for 314 without throwing a pick as the Saints won for the third time in four games. This Saints is dangerous and on a high streak so far should cause some problems for the Steelers.

Let's look to the Steelers side of the ball. The trouble begins as they are the loser of the last three games and six of the last seven, did not lie in moving the ball last week-- their woes began with holding on to it.

Pittsburgh committed an dismal six turnovers, their most in nine years, in a 31-20 home defeat to Denver. Losing a rematch of last year's AFC title game was a major blow to Pittsburgh's playoff hopes. No team has bounced back from a 2-6 record and a loss in its eighth game to qualify for the postseason. It will take a miracle of epic proportions to see this team streak into the postseason.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed 38 of 54 passes for a career-high 433 yards and a touchdown against Denver, but he threw three interceptions--two at the Bronco's 3 yard line. Roethlisberger has totaled seven interceptions in the last two games.

Pittsburgh's 10 turnovers in that two-game stretch increased its season total to 24, one more than it had all of last season. The Saints', however have 10 takeaways, though, are the fourth-fewest in the NFL.

On a final note, Reciever Hines Ward has challenged his teammates to remain focused. The reigning Super Bowl MVP has performed well in the three-game skid, catching at least 10 passes in each game while totalling 379 receiving yards and three touchdowns.

Injury list:

New Orleans Saints:
OUT TE Ernie Conwell (knee)
DOUBTFUL WR Joe Horn (groin)
TE Nate Lewis (back)
QUESTIONABLE T Jammal Brown (ankle)
SS Steve Gleason (knee)
CB Fred Thomas (hamstring)
PROBABLE RB Reggie Bush (ankle)

Pittsburgh Steelers:
OUT OLB James Harrison (ankle)
C Jeff Hartings (knee)
ILB Clint Kriewaldt (back)
WR Willie Reid (foot)

PROBABLE RB Najeh Davenport (knee)
ILB James Farrior (groin)
ILB Larry Foote (ribs)
OLB Clark Haggans (groin)
SS Mike Logan (hamstring)
WR Sean Morey (toe)
SS Troy Polamalu (foot)
CB Deshea Townsend (quadricep)

KEY TO VICTORY:

New Orleans Saints
- Keep Big Ben in the pocket, nothing does more harm than keeping Ben in the pocket and bottling him up. He does his worse mistakes in the pocket.
- Keep tabs on Willie Parker, do not allow the defensive line to open up gaps for Parker, or it will become a very long day for the Saints
- Keep on Hines Ward, Ward has been on a hot streak lately despite the losses and will need to be contained for any chance of victory

Pittsburgh Steelers
- HOLD ON TO THE BALL, absolutely NO TURNOVERS.
- Ben must play smarter and pass to open routes, keep from throwing picks
- Willie Parker must have a fast start in order to start the rhythm for the offense
- Contain Drew Brees, this is a must since Brees is playing some his best ball in his career. He has a hot start, it will be a very long day for the Secondary.

Predictions: I must go on the record and say this has to be a must win for the Steelers to have any shot of winning the division title with 5 divisional games up ahead. The Saints are a hot team that needs to be contained, but I have a feeling Brees, Colston, and Bush just might have their day in store.

Saints 24 Steelers 17

David aka House of Steel.

AZ_Steeler
11-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Nice work HoS!!

House of Steel
11-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I did this with little time left before tomorrow. I am glad SF rang me up to the rescue, now SF needs to answer me about doing a Post Game? I am afraid of this one. NERVOUS!!!!

Steelersfan
11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
You can do the post game if you want to HoS.
Nice job with the pregame article too!

PITT23
11-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Well done as always! :D

AZ_Steeler
11-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm not concerned with you picling the Saints, everytime we pick the Steelers all they do is lose!!! :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Everybody is picking the Saints so maybe that's a good sign for us. Nice job again dude !

House of Steel
11-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Everybody is picking the Saints from what I am looking at over the internet. Yet, we are favored by 4.5 on the line. HA.