PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Logan: A Product of Good Blocking? Not a Chance

DanRooney
08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/720/loganw.jpg

What he showed us on Saturday night was simply a product of great blocking? Not a chance. The blocking from the return units this past weekend was solid, don’t get me wrong, but Stefan Logan looks like the real deal. Is that enough to make the team? Maybe. Maybe not. Any guy with decent speed can run through an open lane and pick up 15 yards. The “special” returners in this league are the guys that are capable of making tacklers miss and have the innate ability to read and react to the fast paced action unfolding in front of them. Logan has this special skill and uses it to pick up big chunks of yardage….regardless of the blocking in front of him.
Over the past 2 years the only time we have ever given you video or screenshots of the Steelers return game was to show you one of two things: (1) how bad the punt and kick return teams were at blocking and creating lanes and (2) how slow and indecisive our returners were when they actually had room to run. I guess that’s what you get though when your return men are Fullbacks and Power RBs (Davenport, Davis, etc).
We are extremely happy that we can finally show you something a bit different. Here is a video clip of Stefan Logan:
1. Showing speed and decisiveness when hitting holes and picking running lanes. No dancing here and no wasted movement from sideline to sideline.
2. Following blockers and showing patience when necessary. Also displays some great awareness.
3. Holding onto the football.
4. Making one or two tacklers miss when somebody comes free. The Steelers haven’t had a returner capable of “making the first guy miss” since Randle El.
The Steelers return units created a lot of running room for Logan this past weekend but there were a number of times where Redskin players broke free and were 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 with Logan. His ability to make the first tackler miss is a huge asset. A guy like this gives your return units some margin for error. With Logan returning kicks, if you miss a block or two, he can still juke a few guys and make a big return. If you somehow manage to seal off a side or block exceptionally well down field, you might have yourself a Punt or Kick return for a TD.

If you want to play a little game of “Where’s Waldo” go ahead and try to find Ziggy Hood (#96) and David Johnson (#85) in many of these clips. They both looked real good blocking for Logan. The entire video is in slow motion which allows you to track individual blockers, watch cutbacks unfold, and see how the return develops. Keep in mind the field was slippery after being rained on for 7 hours and Logan lost his footing a few times. On a dry field I think he cuts a bit cleaner and has 1 or 2 more runs that go at least an additional 20 yards further…maybe he even springs them for TDs…we’ll never know.

Highlight Analysis Video of Logan Here:
http://vimeo.com/6256907

Callax
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
I didn't realize how good he was until I saw him against the Skins....
Pitt needs to keep him for returns and we will be a force on S.T.
Sometimes you can win on Offense and Defense, BUT STILL lose the game.
Pitt vs KC in 1984 I believe....
KO, Punt blockeed and returned for TD's
Keep Him!!!!

cmerrifield
08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, he looks real good, I think he would be worth a roster spot with returns like that, hopefully we will see him in one of our last two preseason games.

igor0190
08-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I think he can do a little more than just in the return game. I read earlier in training camp they were lining him up as a WR and were surprised by his ability there. Now he obviously doesnt really have the size to contribute there, but I'm just saying that he has some more potential than just the return game.

cmerrifield
08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
He can contribute wherever but even if all he can do is return kicks, I will be happy

LatrobePA
08-25-2009, 05:51 PM
He can contribute wherever but even if all he can do is return kicks, I will be happy

Agree, I almost ripped though my pants watching this kid!

Big T
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Whether it's Mike Wallace, Joe Burnett(as long as he can hold on to the ball), or Stefan Logan, our return game will definitely improve. Anything is better than starting every drive at the 20. Thank God no more Carey Davis, Gary Russell, and Dookie Davenport.

mateus
can we credit it to being pre-season though. i mean until he performs when it matters then all of this really doesnt mean much.

DanRooney
I'd like to see this kid used as a RB in the preseason. Hell Arians, maybe you should try using him with A SCREEN?

cmerrifield
08-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm sorry but Arians doesnt know what that is "A SCREEN." Maybe if you sent him a definition and maybe a video of what one looks like, that would be helpful

K Train
08-25-2009, 06:03 PM
id like to see him get some reps at RB too

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Arians has called screens before...Its not his fault that the players on offense run a screen so poorly at times....That goes for Ben, Parker, and the entire OL at times.....Execution is **** poor when Arians does call for a screen pass.......

I know Logan mostly has participated in the WR drills in camp and not much in the RB drills....But it would be interesting to see Logan take some snaps at RB....

KRAZYRIDE
08-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I really hope the give this kid a chance. He could be a maurice Jones-Drew type of player, Drew started as a kick/punt returner and now hes an awesome RB for the Jags. I have high hopes for this guy.

K Train
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
185 pound kick returner from the cfl and 210 pound mini bruising second round draft pick from UCLA are 2 completely different animals.....

plus MJD is one of the best if not the best goal line back and receiving back in the league

i see where your going with it but the comparison is way off

Big T
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
The best Stefan Logan comparison has to be Darren Sproles. They are pretty much the same player....both 5'6, 185 and quick as hell!! Darren sproles is a great kick returner and a beast in the screen. I think Stefan could be the same

DanRooney
08-25-2009, 10:59 PM
The best Stefan Logan comparison has to be Darren Sproles. They are pretty much the same player....both 5'6, 185 and quick as hell!! Darren sproles is a great kick returner and a beast in the screen. I think Stefan could be the same

Exactly my thoughts. If Arians does not try a few screens on a 2nd/3rd and long with this guy in the backfield, it will further my assumption that he is a half-retard.

Big T
08-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Half retarded? Feeling a little generous today huh?

SteelCityKid5
08-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Steelers don't practice screens so there will be seldom screens in games.

--- Added 8/25/2009 at 09:19 PM ---

Also, I don't think they will use Logan as a RB. He could be listed as one but theyhave to give Parker his carries and they still don't know about Mendenhall so he will get his shares too. Also, Moore will be out there on some plays so I doubt there are enough footballs to be handed off to 4 RB's in the Steelers offense.

DanRooney
08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Half retarded? Feeling a little generous today huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEdO-UG4ZU

Big T
08-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Steelers don't practice screens so there will be seldom screens in games.

--- Added 8/25/2009 at 09:19 PM ---

Also, I don't think they will use Logan as a RB. He could be listed as one but theyhave to give Parker his carries and they still don't know about Mendenhall so he will get his shares too. Also, Moore will be out there on some plays so I doubt there are enough footballs to be handed off to 4 RB's in the Steelers offense.

One of the stories at TC was that they were practicing a lot of screens.

LatrobePA
08-26-2009, 09:42 AM

Agree'd

But BA won't call a screen in short and goal, he'll dial up the QB sneak, works evertime (NOT)!!

SteelCityKid5
08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
ARK: Splitting hairs here, but why do the Steelers look so bad when executing a screen play? I've heard that they are no better in practice.
Ed Bouchette: It's been a mystery for a long, long time. My only thoughts are that perhaps Ben Roethlisberger is not comfortable throwing screen passes.

That's why I think they won't be running many screens.

--- Added 8/26/2009 at 09:55 AM ---

Maybe they will but they haven't executed them correctly leading me to believe they won't use many screens.

KRAZYRIDE
08-26-2009, 12:17 PM
185 pound kick returner from the cfl and 210 pound mini bruising second round draft pick from UCLA are 2 completely different animals.....

plus MJD is one of the best if not the best goal line back and receiving back in the league

i see where your going with it but the comparison is way off

Yea I kinda was he was like MJD hahaha

Troyisabeast_43
08-26-2009, 07:58 PM
If Logan continues to have returns like the ones he did on Saturday in Washington then there is no way he is not going to win a spot on the 53 man roster. Mike Tomlin is a pretty bright guy and he knows how bad the Steelers are lacking in the kicking and punt return games and he would be a complete moron to not keep Logan back there with a guy like Mike Wallace returning kicks over a complete load like Carey Davis who adds nothing to the kick return game...

andyg1984
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
dont count burnett out yet ..

beaver688
08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
should use miller in the screen.

greennick
08-28-2009, 12:53 AM
ARK: Splitting hairs here, but why do the Steelers look so bad when executing a screen play? I've heard that they are no better in practice.
Ed Bouchette: It's been a mystery for a long, long time. My only thoughts are that perhaps Ben Roethlisberger is not comfortable throwing screen passes.

That's why I think they won't be running many screens.

--- Added 8/26/2009 at 09:55 AM ---

Maybe they will but they haven't executed them correctly leading me to believe they won't use many screens.

I wonder if it also has something to do with our inherently conservative play. Screen passes are more likely to result in a INT and maybe a TD return and we have a decent short passing game, so it wouldn't seem always the smartest. In prior years with Washington and Holmes we have split the field enough anyway with Ward and Miller taking the short routes that we don't need to run traditional screens but can still have similar, less risky, plays.

UKSTEELER
08-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Screens invite the defense to rush the quarterback!

Therein lies our problem, distinguishing a screenplay from any other pass
play in Airheads playbook!:evilshake:

PittSteelers7fan
08-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Stefan has made this club.
Bout time we have a Kick off returner in the Burgh.
It's been a while.

mateus
08-30-2009, 01:20 PM
can't wait to see what this kid can do during the regular season and beyond!