PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Expect all Home Games to be Blacked Out this Season

Slug
08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
USA Today Article Link (http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/08/jaguars-anticipate-all-10-home-games-blacked-out-in-2009.html)

Do you think that it's time for the NFL to rethink the rule about blacking out locally, any games where the home team doesn't sell out? It's a hold-over rule from an era when gate receipts represented a much larger chunk of a team's revenue and was meant to encourage people to go to the games if they wanted to see their team.

Today though, with a large portion of a team's income coming from advertising partnerships, merchandising sales and other sources, I'm not sure how much the rule helps. In fact, I think that if a team today isn't selling out their stadium, taking them off of local TV just makes the fans that exist bitter, and take eyes of your product in the region, damaging your brand. I think the rule has long since outlived it's usefulness.

What say you?

Captcoolhand
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I say it's an over due rule that needs to be changed..... I'm surprised alot more teams aren't Blacked-out every season.....Browns, Detroit,etc etc

Zachintosh66
08-24-2009, 02:17 PM
i live in toledo and detriot was very close several times last year...

you think with the economic ways of today they would roll back some prices or lift the blackouts for a season or 2

ToothAche
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
It makes no sense to me, as a fan and also a consumer. If I do not attend the game, like most fans, I would probably still buy merchandise. If I can't watch my team on TV, I am going to a little upset with ownership, therefore, I am not going to spend as much money just because I don't want to give these jerks a dime.
Also, there is a lot of team with several alternate jerseys they wear for home games. If you can not watch the game, you do not get to see these jerseys, further more, decreasing your merchandise revenue.

Blacking out games is old school practice that bullies fans, and alienates the team.

LarryNJ
08-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I didn't realize that was still a rule. I agree it needs to be changed to if you can't sell out your games you have your franchise revoked! Jacksonville is a joke of a city.. I can't believe they ever got a super bowl.

Zachintosh66
08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
The rule is in place for the fans to visit the statium all for the $ that goes into the owners pocket (tix, parking, 8$ beers) So if it doesnt sell out the penalize the fans and dont let them watch them.

i think it makes sense for a profit point of view. just not a fans :)