PDA

View Full Version : Landry vs. Polamalu

Captcoolhand
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
In case you missed it, the Redskins were crowing before the game that their free safety, LaRon Landry, is better than the Steelers' Troy Polamalu.

"I'd take LaRon over [Polamalu] any day," Washington safeties coach Steve Jackson said last week. "They would probably rather have Polamalu because he does do the things like a linebacker with the blitzing ... But when you watch him play true free safety, it's not even close in my humble opinion as far as who the better safety is."

As if trying to emphasize that, on the first play from scrimmage Saturday night, Washington quarterback Jason Campbell dropped back from his 35 and heaved a deep pass toward wide receiver Malcolm Kelly. Kelly was about to catch the ball when Polamalu deftly batted it away near the Steelers' 20.

As safeties coach, Jackson should know the difference between Landry as a free safety playing center field and Polamalu's job, listed as strong safety but playing the entire field.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09236/992906-66.stm#ixzz0P6ifbAPs

Explains why the Skins can't make the playoff's. Their coaching staff must be on some real shooms living in Never Never Land.:lol:

They can only wish they had a Polamalu type player.....

LatrobePA
08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
That's what he says on the outside. Inside is a whole lot diffrent!

JensK
08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, they did cut Ryan Clark...

Slug
08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Well what is he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, that other guy is way better than what I have to work with." C'mon.

To be honest, I really like Landry. He sometimes has a bad habit of going for the monster hit instead of the guaranteed stop, and pays for it when he misses. That aside he is a very good safety and will only continue to get better going forward. That said, Polamalu is a beat-stick and I'd be happy to have him. :yesnod:

LatrobePA
08-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Well what is he supposed to say? "Oh yeah, that other guy is way better than what I have to work with." C'mon.:

Exactly!

LarryNJ
08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Of course a coach is going to say his guy is better, ask all the other coaches in the league who they would rather have and I'd guess 96% would say Troy.

cmerrifield
08-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I am sure that Green Bay thinks Smith is a better safety than Troy and we cut the wrong guy :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
All I know is, Polamalu has 2 Super Rings in the last 4 years and how many do the Redskins have? :D

All kidding aside, if their coach didn't back his player then I wouldnt want him as a coach if I were a Redskin player so you can't blame him for sticking up for his guy...although I would hope he really does know the difference in position responsibilites between Free & Strong safety :lol:

LatrobePA
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I am sure that Green Bay thinks Smith is a better safety than Troy and we cut the wrong guy :lol:

Smith is looking good! Of course he's on their 2nd team!

Captcoolhand
08-24-2009, 11:21 AM
although I would hope he really does know the difference in position responsibilites between Free & Strong safety :lol:I wasn't trying to down the guy for what he said, but this was my thought exactly.

He should have said something in the likes that Troy is great at the Strong Safety position like they feel Landry is as a Free Safety. You just can't put these 2 in the same class.

K Train
08-24-2009, 01:36 PM
actually you can put them in the same class, they are the same kind of freak athlete. honestly i would rather have landry play in our defense, troy is one of the most overrated players ive seen in my lifetime, he bounced back nice last year after 2 completely unearned probowl years but troy is notorious for the monster whiffed tackle

Zachintosh66
08-24-2009, 02:02 PM
For as many good plays troy makes he still makes the same amount "throwing" himself around... but all that be it may, im still glad troy is on our team!

K Train
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
so am i, i like him alright hes a good player but hes not a great saftey. im sure ill take some **** for saying i want landry over troy but i know exactly what landry brings to the table and i think he would DOMINATE in our 34 because hes much better as a saftey than troy.

btw the redskins cut ryan clark because he wasnt that good and hes still not that good...he the worst player on the best defense

Zachintosh66
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
btw the redskins cut ryan clark because he wasnt that good and hes still not that good...he the worst player on the best defense

i agree 100%... all he can do is hit, and run his mouth (a better tyrone carter)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
So the fact that our defense was playing worse when Ryan was out is a good indication that he sucks? Seriously WTF is that about?! Ryan is as solid a safety as there in the game, he can hit like freight train, he knows the defense, and he's solid in coverage. What more do you want? Certainly not Carter in there I hope!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
actually you can put them in the same class, they are the same kind of freak athlete. honestly i would rather have landry play in our defense, troy is one of the most overrated players ive seen in my lifetime, he bounced back nice last year after 2 completely unearned probowl years but troy is notorious for the monster whiffed tackle

And he's notorius for the monster hits, big INT's, understanding the defense, creating havoc for the offense..so yeah he really sucks I guess :nono:

Sure he wiffs now and then but you think Landry doesn't or even Ed Reed doesn't miss tackles now and then? Troy had 2 sub par years, we all know that...he fought through injuries, changing up training methods and just sub par play by the defense both of those years. Yeah we were still good but we weren't the defense we were last year during those 2 years either so let's make sure we keep it in perspective here alittle bit.

K Train
08-24-2009, 02:40 PM
So the fact that our defense was playing worse when Ryan was out is a good indication that he sucks? Seriously WTF is that about?! Ryan is as solid a safety as there in the game, he can hit like freight train, he knows the defense, and he's solid in coverage. What more do you want? Certainly not Carter in there I hope!

if you had to pick out the worst starting player on our defense it wouldnt be clark? he is a bad bad man when it comes to laying to boom but he gets caught out of position as much as troy...something that you FS CANNOT do when you have a SS like troy. There is much to be desired of his closing speed, and his coverage skills...all he really has working for him is his ability to lay the hammer. trust me when he hit mcgayhee and they all prayed for him it as my favorite moment of the yeara dn he knocked welker out of the game...it was awesome, but i really do think smith would have taken his job if smith had a tomlin-friendly attitude and i think within a year mundy or lewis might take his job

K Train
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
And he's notorius for the monster hits, big INT's, understanding the defense, creating havoc for the offense..so yeah he really sucks I guess :nono:

Sure he wiffs now and then but you think Landry doesn't or even Ed Reed doesn't miss tackles now and then? Troy had 2 sub par years, we all know that...he fought through injuries, changing up training methods and just sub par play by the defense both of those years. Yeah we were still good but we weren't the defense we were last year during those 2 years either so let's make sure we keep it in perspective here alittle bit.

i understand.....i think we would be even better with a guy like landry in there. it could be a different dimension. and yes landry and reed miss tackles, but they (more landry) miss them because they are trying to crush, troy just whiffs trying to tackle by taking terrible angles and getting hurdled over. i like troy alright, considering i hated him after he got his big contract but if the scheme were built around landry i think it would be even better. its all what ifs, but landry would be a superstar in this defense imo

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
if you had to pick out the worst starting player on our defense it wouldnt be clark? he is a bad bad man when it comes to laying to boom but he gets caught out of position as much as troy...something that you FS CANNOT do when you have a SS like troy. There is much to be desired of his closing speed, and his coverage skills...all he really has working for him is his ability to lay the hammer. trust me when he hit mcgayhee and they all prayed for him it as my favorite moment of the yeara dn he knocked welker out of the game...it was awesome, but i really do think smith would have taken his job if smith had a tomlin-friendly attitude and i think within a year mundy or lewis might take his job

There really isn't a "worst" player on our defense, they all bring something unique and special to the table, but I do recognize where you are going with it. I don't know if Smith would have taken his job, he didn't display anything that really showed us that he was going to be something better than Ryan (save for a few good plays here in there before he went in the tank a couple years ago). If Ryan agrees to an amount the team wants to pay I don't know that they would even consider getting rid of him. If they do then Mundy or Lewis will have a prime opportunity I'll give you that. This year will be big to for the backups at that position to see if they are ready to step up if Clark leaves. If they can't then look for the FO to make a bigger pitch to keep Ryan. Clark is the monster hitter but he also brings leadership to the defense and both he and Troy work very well together. All I know is, if we we're picking Polamalu or Landry I would be happy with either of them but I prefer Troy because his uncanny ability to make a play when absolutely gotta have it is something you just can't teach, along with the fact that he's just really one of the best in the league. Landry is damn good, there is no doubt, but he's hardly head and shoulders above Troy in any way, shape, or form.

If we're talking about Clark and the rest of the backup safeties on this team it's no question he's still the best we got.

DanRooney
08-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Monster whiffed tackle? How bout being run completely over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JINAd2R1-To

Seriously KTrain, Troy and Clark are amongst the top in the league at their positions when put together. I have no idea what the hell you have been watching.

--- Added 8/24/2009 at 03:45 PM ---

What Clark and Troy were doing last year is absolutely fine. We allowed less big plays in the passing game than any other team.

And you know Troy has the closing speed to pursue the long ball if caught out of position. Hell, he broke up long bombs in both preseason games already.

K Train
08-24-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah you wont find any videos of troy missing tackle after tackle all over the field because everyone loves him so much.

troy is not the almighty safety everyone makes him out to be, hes got alot of solid, good plays but for every one of his amazing plays he has an AWFUL one.

and btw theres not a lot of DBs that are gonna smash a 6-4 260 pound RB, you act like he was blasted by darren sproles

and i know troy has the speed, i was referring to clark whos closing speed is weak. i cant believe you guys wont admit that clark is the weakest link on our defense.....they arent extending him because hes expendable. he came in for hope and hope was ok but clark is more servicable than anything. he had a good bounce back year after his surgery but hes nothing special

DanRooney
08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
And all of us can't believe you would choose LaRon Landry over Polamalu. Not even in the same class. Sean Taylor was, not this guy.

K Train
08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
i was a big fan of taylor, but taylor was roy williams-like in coverage....he gave up the most TDs of any DB one year...like 13 which is extremely high. Troy and landry are the same class of athlete, pretty strong comparisons imo, landry is quite a bit younger and will be a top safety.

im not hating on troy, last year made me stop that....i do like him but im just saying that landry is a sick talent and will do big things

igor0190
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Landry is an up a coming safety in this league and I actually thing he's going to have a monster year because of the upgrades the Redskins made on defence. He hasn't done anything in this league yet, Polamalu has. They also play completely different styles and I don't really even know how you can possibly compare them.

Landry hasn't done sh#t yet. For his coaches to be saying something like that is nonsense. Maybe they should eat a slice of humble pie.

Danger DANJ
08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
I may be crazy, but it seems to me a lot of these "Whifs" that Troy has are when Troy comes from across the field to track down the ball carrier, and had it been another safety they never would have even been in position to make a tackle on the ball carrier at all because they don't have the instincts and reaction time like Troy. So, if nothing else, Troy slows the ball carrier down a tad until help arrives where most wouldn't even be in the vicinity. Like I said, I may be crazy, but I feel like Troy puts himself in more opportunities to make plays than any other saftey.

K Train
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
had it been another safety they never would have even been in position to make a tackle on the ball carrier at all because they don't have the instincts and reaction time like Troy.

thats a bold statement.....theres an awful lot of great athletes playing safety and considering tracking down the ball is the safeties only job this isnt really accurate.

i am not hating on troy i just dont think hes the unquestioned best at all....alot of you are impossible to talk to about the subject since hes a steeler and he has to be the best but thats fine

igor0190
08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
What makes Troy a great player is that he is unique. The way he plays and how he is used is unlike any other safety in the league. Could someone else be used by Lebeau to play the way Polamalu does??? I really doubt it.
Could Landry or Ed Reed be used by Lebeau in a different way to be just as effective in their own way? PROBABLY.

Try is still one of the best, if not THE best safeties in the game. But there are several other comparable talents for sure. Adrian Wilson and Reed come to mind before Landry does though because once again.... Landry has not proven much yet.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-26-2009, 07:31 AM
I dont think anyone is knocking Landrys talent, and if they are they dont know football. Ktrain while you are right in the MAJOROTY of what you are saying... i think as much as the media and fans OVER-RATE troy... ktrain devalues him! Theres nothing wrong with going the other way K, and i know you know talent... so i do agree with you to a point!

But, Most teams dont count of the SS to be a MAJOR playmaker. We do! So EVERYTHING Troy does is magnified! Even one of the bests like Adrian Wilson isnt counted on to be a "play maker"... per say! He's counted on to just be steady and make plays when he can.

I think its evident that when Troy plays well, we are very succesful as a team. Its undeniable this defense/team needs him almost as much as Ben. He may not be perfect... i HATE seeing him wiff on "Superman" type tackles (which happens a lil too often) but he MORE than makes up for it. When it comes to Safeties (either position) Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu are the elite. After that you take a step down to guys like Griffin and Wilson! Ill put landry in the tops of the class below that cause he is a talent and could be great in this league!

igor0190
08-26-2009, 08:59 AM
he is a talent and could be great in this league!

Exactly... He hasn't done anything yet.