PDA

View Full Version : Post Gazette: Defense stiffens as it rallies around Taylor

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2006, 06:31 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06315/737502-66.stm

Saturday, November 11, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When they went after Ike Taylor, members of the secondary came to his defense. When missiles were directed at their fellow cornerback, they floated to his side and offered help. When he was isolated and unable to defend what was happening, they came to his rescue and batted away the criticism.

Too bad the Steelers' defense doesn't work that way.

It remains to be seen what, if anything, coach Bill Cowher will do tomorrow when the Steelers (2-6) try to stop a three-game losing streak against the New Orleans Saints (6-2) at Heinz Field.

It remains to be seen if he will carry through on his stated threat to make changes in the starting lineup after another embarrassing performance by the defending Super Bowl champion. In particular, it remains to be seen if Taylor, generally considered the team's best cornerback, will take his usual position against the Saints, a development that appears to change by the day. Or, if he will be replaced by Bryant McFadden at left cornerback.

If so, he will be the only starter to lose his job after the Steelers' 31-20 loss to the Denver Broncos, a demotion that apparently was necessitated by Taylor's performance against wide receiver Javon Walker in which he allowed two touchdown catches and gains of 38 and 61 yards.

It is a demotion his teammates don't think he deserves.

"You play 16 games, you're not going to be perfect every game," safety Ryan Clark said. "It was a tough day for all of us. He wasn't the only guy who didn't play as well as they should have. I myself didn't play as well as I should have or have been this season. A lot of us could have contributed to helping him out in that situation. There's no way he should be taking all the blame and having all this media attention.

"The guy plays well every week and has a couple bad plays. Those guys get paid well, too."

Even soft-spoken safety Troy Polamalu said, "It is unfair. We have to believe in everything coach does for a reason. It's not one man. It's the group."

Taylor said early in the week he was told he had lost his job and that he would have to "fight through it" to get it back. A day later, Cowher said not to read "too many things" into what might be happening on the practice field and that no decision has been made on whether Taylor or McFadden would start against the Saints.

It's good to see the team sticking together and rallying around one another. Ike needs to play through this, but I do think deshea should sit and McFadden should get the nod in his place.

BBC
11-11-2006, 10:01 AM
It's good to see the team sticking together and rallying around one another. Ike needs to play through this, but I do think deshea should sit and McFadden should get the nod in his place.

You can take it two ways, to me, it sounds more like a divided locker room. When was the last time we heard players questioning the decisions of Bill Cowher? That doesn't happen.

It appears (from this article anyways) that the Steelers are unraveling. They need a win here to get back on track, otherwise 7-9 may not even be a possibility for them.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2006, 12:02 PM
If the players weren't coming to his aid, and leaving him out for media fodder I'd be more upset. It appears to me and from what we've all read and heard in recent weeks that the team is clearly frustrated, as they should be, but the fact that they are sticking together as a unit is a good sign.

Players don't always agree with the coaches decision, especially in a year like this so that's pretty much inevitable. Many of the things Cowher has done have made us all :scratch: this year, but atleast the players appear to be pretty unified overall.

BBC
11-11-2006, 12:23 PM
If the players weren't coming to his aid, and leaving him out for media fodder I'd be more upset. It appears to me and from what we've all read and heard in recent weeks that the team is clearly frustrated, as they should be, but the fact that they are sticking together as a unit is a good sign.

Players don't always agree with the coaches decision, especially in a year like this so that's pretty much inevitable. Many of the things Cowher has done have made us all :scratch: this year, but atleast the players appear to be pretty unified overall.

My only problem with them coming to Ike's aid is that they aren't showing support for the guy who is starting now.

Players can always have problems with the coach's decision, but coming public with them to the media is what gave T.O. his reputation.

Steelersfan
11-11-2006, 12:28 PM
As I've said before, Cowher has lost this team.

Prosdo
11-11-2006, 01:08 PM
And you are completely right SF. I see a new coach next year.

House of Steel
11-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Whisenhunt or Grimm need to step into the role now and not at the end of the season. Is LeBeau going to stick around coaching the defense? That is a main concern for me.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Do you really think it is a real good idea to hire a first time coach. With a team, that is on the verge?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Lebeau hasn't mentioned anything about retiring anytime soon that I know of. Russ Grimm is the assistance head coach so he would get the majority of consideration should we need a new head coach next year.

House of Steel
11-11-2006, 10:09 PM
You know if Grimm gets the job, then Whisenhunt is going to move on elsewhere. I could see Arizona wanting him.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Whiz won't be so fast to get a coaching off this year, the way our team has been playing. Our coaches usually only get raided after we've had a good year. Last year we lucked out in keeping them aftering winning the SB.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Whiz won't be so fast to get a coaching off this year, the way our team has been playing. Our coaches usually only get raided after we've had a good year. Last year we lucked out in keeping them aftering winning the SB.

Who in there right mind? Would want to coach in oakland or arizona? :lol:

BBC
11-12-2006, 09:00 AM

Don't forget the disaster that was Whiz as a head coach in Buffalo.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Who in there right mind? Would want to coach in oakland or arizona? :lol:

You got that right, Iwould hope after he's seen what kind of disaster even a legend like Art Shell has become with that team that he would wait his turn instead of trying to coach that ridiculous excuse for a team and work under an owner like that.

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 10:47 AM
BBC, that was Mularkey not Whiz.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Mularkey found out the hard way that some are cut out for head coaches and some are not.

BBC
11-12-2006, 09:38 PM
BBC, that was Mularkey not Whiz.

Yeah, I actually realized my mistake soon after leaving my house. I was hoping no one would pick up on it :lol:

House of Steel
11-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I know my football very well, sorry dude. I was covering your back though. :bigthumb: