PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers (thus far)

Iron City South
08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Camp Winners Thus Far

D. Sepulveda … back from injury and punting further than before …great for the team
T. Essex … excellent chance to finally crack the starting lineup
I. Redman … biggest surprise … small college UDFA who might make 53 man roster
R. Foster … another UDFA with rising star
D. Legursky … started a pre-season game and showed he can play in the NFL
J. Capizzi … added strength … given chance to play both guard and tackle positions
D. Johnson … monster blocker … good shot at 3rd TE/FB position
R. Harris … out performed Hood in 1st pre-season game … could be 6th round steal
L. Sweed … showed significant improvement in his 2nd year
M. Wallace … rookie road-runner who is smooth and has hands … threatens Sweed
J. Burnett … impressive showing for a rookie 5th round CB pick
S. McDonald … FA pro who catches everything he touches
Z. Hood … coaches have been impressed
K. Lewis … coaches like what they’ve seen
C. Batch ... still poised and still the #2 QB
D. Dixon ... nice showing in Cardinal's game

Positive Mentions … UDFAs who’ve showed well but might not make practice squad

T. Grisham
S. McLendon
J. Schantz
T. Korte
D. Richardson
F. Summers (Redman surpasses him at RB, but moved to FB and contributing to ST's and is doing well @ both)

Camp Losers?

T. Hills … being better than expected might not be good enough to stay on roster
D. Stapleton … good chance he loses starting RG position
R. Paquet … decent chance he does not make the team
R. Mundy … had the inside route for back-up FS … could end-up on PS
M. Nance … good chance he is cut from team
S. McHugh … recently signed 3 year contract … might not make the team
A. Harrison … back from injury only to find major competition at LB
T. Kirschke … looked a bit slower in 1st game … could lose out to Hood/Harris
S. Paxson … could be DL odd man out
D. Baker … 53 man roster looks to be out of reach, yet again
B. Davis … 2nd year player and still not living up to expectations :evilshake:

Stlrs4Life
08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Hills, Stapleton, and Kirshke will all make the team. We are already short on the OL for depth. Kirsshke is still too early, it was 1 pre season game.

Dude487
08-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Actually, bruce davis finally showed something against the cardinals after looking like the laziest linebacker ever last year. If he continues like that he's got a roster spot

I like mundy, but he still hasn't shown enough. Could definitely go to the PS

DanRooney
08-20-2009, 03:31 AM
Charlie Batch a camp winner? He was struggling early in camp. Not to mention in the preseason game he was only 1 for 2 with his only completion being a horribly underthrown ball that Sweed had to make a spectacular adjustment to.

K Train
08-20-2009, 04:29 AM
wow....completely disagree on davis. hes finally being where hes supposed to. the only knock on him in camp is that hes stiff in the hips. he had a great cardinal game but besides that hes been drawing praise in camp.

i dont understand your love for mcdonald either....or his "savvy veteren experience"

steelcitysfinestXL
08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah i have to disagree with Burce Davis also... esp. when you take into account the strides he made from last year to this year! He may not be first off of the bench but i dont think he is a liability to the 53 man roster! He's in IMO!

Zachintosh66
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
hmmm, too early to tell... ill make my moves after this weekend :)

LatrobePA
08-20-2009, 11:46 AM
It's going to be hard to keep Wallace off the field, so that'll leave McDonald the odd man out.

Carey Davis will stay and Summers will go I feel.

Blazedby92
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I was also hearing the Davis experiment is going well this year.

Callax
08-20-2009, 01:59 PM
It is FINALLY nice to see some of Pitt's lower draft picks looking like they'll make the team instead of getting cut in Tng camp.

Usually by now the players below the 4th round are gone by now....
I hope some of this talent will equate to better field position on ST
and depth on OFFENSE and DEFENSE!

ToothAche
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
i dont understand your love for mcdonald either....or his "savvy veteren experience"

Totally agree with ya K Train. McDonald is only standing in the way at this point. We do not need him as a receiver as much as we thought we did when we signed him. Plus, we don't need him for kick returns either. He isn't very tall, and his hands are small, which causes him to bobble the ball on a lot of quick pass throws.
How much are we paying this guy anyhow?

igor0190
08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Mcdonald IS versatile and would be a nice 4th or 5th WR... If we need him for a couple games because of injuries he will step right in and do the job.

I do hope Wallace proves enough to get the 4th WR spot though! He can play the Nate's role by making the defence respect his speed and the deep ball.

Blazedby92
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Can't we just keep them all, well maybe not Baker.

Iron City South
08-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Gents - Here's your top 5 WR's

Holmes
Ward
Sweed
Wallace
McDonald

Baker and Nance are the casulties .... 1 of them gets called back to the PS.

As far as Tank Summers is concerned. He moved over to FB and has already received the praise of coaches saying, "He has a strong propensity for violence" ... he has also been called out for very good special teams performances. So basically, in Summers you get versatility ....a RB, a FB, and a quality ST's contributor. With Davis you basically get a ST's guy .... that's it. He sucks as a FB .... and to add insult to injury, David Johnson is going to get the 3rd TE spot (over Sean McHugh) .... so with Summers and Johnson, we have 2 very solid FB's who also play ST's. LeBeau said that Johnson is the only guy who's ever knocked Harrison back a few inches ..... not quite a foot, but a few inches. That's quite a compliment coming from LeBeau. :yesnod:

andyg1984
08-20-2009, 08:13 PM
we need Mcdonald because of injuries .. is there citation for the praise of summers? also, noticed Urbik is not on the list good/bad - for the way every1 here was so quick to throw him under the bus he played well v. the cards , obviously he needs to play well against solid competition - they need to test him Saturday .. i will admit i overestimated his abilities, but I am not ready to give up on him

K Train
08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
urbik looked lost and got pushed alot...against 3rd teamers

andyg1984
08-20-2009, 08:52 PM
he did look lost @ times (fixable), but i did not see him getting pushed "alot" and i was watching him closely .. like i said he needs to do it against real competition .. more of a lets not give up on this guy than a pencil him in @ RG thing .. and no, that statement was not directed @ you .. lol

KRAZYRIDE
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah Urbik definetly a dissapointment. I wouldn't give up on him yet he still has a ways to go. David Johnson is a much need blocking TE cause our running game is going downhill in the bad way. Im dissapointed a guy as big a Speath can't block for ****. and Redman is just too early too tell and I'd love to see Summers as FB Davis sucks I miss Dan Kreider tho.

Iron City South
08-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Urbik has been decent. His only real knock has been a slow start at camp (first 2 days). After rewatching the game twice, I think he did a pretty good job working between Shipley and Parquet/Capizzi. While he didn't stand out on tape, he did what he was asked to do. He was money in pass pro, got great push in the run game and was veteran-style capable at passing off pass rushers. He missed one block on the edge, that was about the only minus I saw.

I think Urbik's biggest issue right now is his lower body strength. He needs to develop more strength and learn to leverage it. 2 years folks .... He's going to be one of our better lineman in a long time. You've heard me say it before ...

andyg1984
08-20-2009, 11:38 PM
the issue is footwork, i am assuming that he can cut weight and become a little lighter on his feet - he has room to trim in the midsection, it could take a couple years or it might not happen, but if it does he will be a good RG in an offense like ours

K Train
08-21-2009, 01:47 AM
Urbik has been decent. His only real knock has been a slow start at camp (first 2 days). After rewatching the game twice, I think he did a pretty good job working between Shipley and Parquet/Capizzi. While he didn't stand out on tape, he did what he was asked to do. He was money in pass pro, got great push in the run game and was veteran-style capable at passing off pass rushers. He missed one block on the edge, that was about the only minus I saw.

I think Urbik's biggest issue right now is his lower body strength. He needs to develop more strength and learn to leverage it. 2 years folks .... He's going to be one of our better lineman in a long time. You've heard me say it before ...

ive heard you say it and i just think you will be very wrong....hes no different than any other bum *** lineman weve had come through here....he doesnt even have potential to be one of our best guys, hes ceiling is going to be at serviceable backup....maybe

andyg1984
08-21-2009, 08:51 AM
see i agree with you ICS that he could be a good lineman in a couple years, but he has way more than one minus he needs to work on .. his upside is higher than a serviceable backup- the question of interest is what is the probability we assign to that and right now it is low .. the x-factor is his footwork , he will be the srub train is talking about if he does not get better there .. i am a long-run urbik supporter but also a big critic .. does this sound like wishful thinking??