PDA

View Full Version : Broken neck could end career of Bengals' Pollack

AZ_Steeler
11-10-2006, 04:14 PM
sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2656571&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker David Pollack undoubtedly has Dec. 13 circled on his calendar. That's the day when Pollack will meet with doctors to decide whether he'll ever play football again.

Pollack fractured the C-6 vertebra in his neck against the Browns on Sept. 17 and was placed on injured reserve the following day. Still wearing a protective halo to get his neck in place, Pollack visited the team's locker room Thursday at Paul Brown Stadium.

"If I'm not more likely to get hurt again, then I'll play," Pollack told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "If I am, then I won't. Cut and dried. It's a very real possibility that I won't play again. At the end of it, if the doctor says I'm 5 percent more likely to get injured again, there's a zero percent chance I'll ever play again. That's a fact."

The 24-year-old Pollack, a first-round pick from Georgia in 2005, has played in 16 games for the Bengals, starting six.

Pollack said he has used his time away from the game in prayer and Bible study. He said there are few distractions because of his limited mobility.

"I'd love to play football; it's what I've done for so long," he told the Enquirer. "But in the end, really, if I'm more likely to get hurt, God doesn't close one door without opening another one. He's got something special for me, regardless. There's going to be something cool. There's going to be something awesome."

Hopefully everything turns out for the best! :pray: This guy was pretty good and you always hate to see a young players career end so early!

PITT23
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah I remmeber watching this game on TV and it didn't look good at all. He was a beast in college at Georgia and even though he's a Bungal you still gotta hope he gets back on the field someday.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, its just terrible to see a promising career possibly ended so early. I hope he's able to make a full recovery regardless of if he can play again.

I also think of Talafero from PSU everytime I see a player in a situation like this.

BBC
11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Anybody that saw his interview on ESPN Sunday Countdown has to feel for the guy.

I doubt he'll ever play again, and it's a shame. He had such a promising career, and appears to be a stand up guy. It's too bad, I wish him the best of luck.

floodcitygirl
11-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Obviously being in Cincy, there has been alot of press coverage on this guy. He seems to be a person of tremendous character and quality. My heart goes out to him and his wife. He visits our local Children's Hospital because he feels that the kids know that he can relate to their struggles when he walks in the door with that halo on. They really do seem to take to him. I wish him the best.

House of Steel
11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
I wish this guy the very best in his future. I turly hope a miracle works out that he can return to the profession that he loves so much and has a gift for.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-11-2006, 02:41 AM
I hope things turn around for David Pollack.

Steelersfan
11-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Man I hate it when good young players get hurt like this. I hope he is able to do what he wants in life much less just football. He seems like a good guy and deserves better.

Blitzburgh55
11-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Why he only a rookie right

BBC
11-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Why he only a rookie right

He's in his second year in the league, but broken necks are much more serious than you seem to believe.

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I hate the Bengals, but this is just tradgic.

Prosdo
11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Good luck to Pollack. I hope things turn out well.