PDA

View Full Version : Redman (and Summers) = TD?

CNY_STEELER_FAN
08-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Nice write-up here on Sunday's practice:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/sunday-afternoon-practice-redman-goes-5-7-in-goal-line-drill/16012/

Notice who was blocking on 3 of the 5 touchdowns: Summers.

And notice who wasn't mentioned at all: C. Davis

Perhaps they never intended to get Summers to run the ball, but ST and blocking?

I know, it's still too early to draw any firm conclusions, but I'm just thinking we might get a roster shake-up before training camp is over.

DanRooney
08-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Nice write-up here on Sunday's practice:

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/sunday-afternoon-practice-redman-goes-5-7-in-goal-line-drill/16012/

Notice who was blocking on 3 of the 5 touchdowns: Summers.

And notice who wasn't mentioned at all: C. Davis

Perhaps they never intended to get Summers to run the ball, but ST and blocking?

I know, it's still too early to draw any firm conclusions, but I'm just thinking we might get a roster shake-up before training camp is over.

Summers will have to show that he can cover better than Davis on STs to make the team. Glad we finally found our goalline back though.

K Train
08-17-2009, 01:54 AM
he wont be on our roster as a goal line back

DanRooney
08-17-2009, 02:28 AM
he wont be on our roster as a goal line back

I think Redman is a lock to make the team as a short yardage/goal line back as long as he continues to do what he is doing. Summers will be demoted to the PS.

K Train
08-17-2009, 02:31 AM
maybe if he does it the rest of the time but scoring twice against career backups and special team players on the cards isnt that impressive

he continues to do it then MAYBE hes on the final roster

DanRooney
08-17-2009, 02:48 AM
He's also been doing it regularly against the Steelers first team defense.

K Train
08-17-2009, 02:50 AM
ok so twice on family night the man gained ONE yard....big deal. do that **** on 4th and goal at the 3 against the ravens and ill be impressed

i just think we have a training camp hero on the roster in redman

DanRooney
08-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Redman's fullbacks on TD runs: 1-David Johnson, 2-single back, 3-Sean McHugh and Tank Summers, 4-Summers, 5-Summers. #steelers
about 10 hours ago from web
Tomlin: Urbik scratched cornea; Redman got all 7 to test conditioning. #steelers
about 11 hours ago from txt
Goal line: Redman scores 3 vs 1st team, 2 vs 2nd team, carried all 7. Goal line back is born!
about 11 hours ago from txt

TEEMONT
08-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Redman = John Kuhn

steelcitysfinestXL
08-17-2009, 06:45 AM
maybe if he does it the rest of the time but scoring twice against career backups and special team players on the cards isnt that impressive

he continues to do it then MAYBE hes on the final roster
I agree and add:

Tomlin even said, he wont be overly impressed until he does that against "varsity" guys! Yeah scorin against our d in the GL drill says someting, but he'll have to do that in a game or two(with the first unit). And to do that he'll have to be given an oppurtunity! If he DOES get a chance and makes good on it, then more will come to see how consistant he can be.
Have to say i like the kid, but lets not crown him yet! Lets just hope Tomlin gives him a few chances to prove himself!:cope:

cmerrifield
08-17-2009, 07:23 AM
I would say two things (1) We couldnt score from the 1 yard line against any D last year, so the fact that he scored against ours is impressive, (2) He scored 3 times against the 1st team D, that is impressive regardless. I dont think very many teams could score three times against that Steelers D.

KemoTherapy
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Redman looks to be a keeper to me. When I was looking at the list of nobodies the Steelers had invited to camp after the draft the one name that stood out to me and made me think hmmm? was Isaac Redman's. I'd never heard of him but I got a good vibe when I read his name and he looks like he deserves a chance to play in the NFL. He's gotta be better than Cary Davis.

ToothAche
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Redman will make the roster. I don't see us keeping frank the tank at fullback though. I know he had some great lead blocks in practice, but he lacks the experience than Davis has. Coaches don't want two rookies lining up in the backfield at the same time.

LatrobePA
08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Redman has nothing to do but prove people wrong, this is how all rookies should enter the NFL not with huge signing bonuses and pay checks, let the guys prove their worth.

I predict this cat gets more carries and yards than our last year first rounder!

TEEMONT
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Redman has nothing to do but prove people wrong, this is how all rookies should enter the NFL not with huge signing bonuses and pay checks, let the guys prove their worth.

I predict this cat gets more carries and yards than our last year first rounder!

Maybe in the 3rd game of the pre-season before he gets cut.

K Train
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM

this "cat" definitely will not get more carries than any of out top 3 rbs

LatrobePA
08-17-2009, 06:07 PM
this "cat" definitely will not get more carries than any of out top 3 rbs

We'll see!

39 is and will remain the starter from there it's up in the air!

K Train
08-17-2009, 06:10 PM
mendenhall and moore will certainly get more touches than redman....because redman wont get any

LatrobePA
08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
mendenhall and moore will certainly get more touches than redman....because redman wont get any

You may be right as for touches (I was sturring the pot) but you don't think he'll be used like Russell was last year?

K Train
08-17-2009, 06:37 PM
ive compared him to russell....but russell wasnt exactly a big part of the team

CNY_STEELER_FAN
08-18-2009, 08:16 PM
K Train, I need some convincing that Davis should be kept over Summers. They both seem to do well on ST, but Davis doesn't seem to run the ball well, and he seems to have lost the fullback roll to a TE.

P.S. I don't think Summers will be a second coming of Bettis, nor am I convinced Redman will be great, just that he's better than what we've seen of late.

K Train
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
davis is not a bad ball carrier....not great either. but thats not my point, by drafting summers we essentially drafted another carey davis...not a true blocking FB and a so-so runner. the difference is carey davis is great on special teams coverage, something i dont think summers will be. point is e dont want either one of them blocking on 4th and goal at the 3, but since we rarely blcok with a FB anymore...lets keep the one that makes our ST coverage better

Zachintosh66
08-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Davis, Can play FB, RB and even goal line TE... not including his best contribution on this team ST's

Summers (although i wanted him to be good) isnt ready and is simply a PS player. The final RB spot is Redmans to lose IMO...