PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' rookie receiver proving to be a fast learner

Sir Blitzelot
08-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Steelers' rookie receiver proving to be a fast learner
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis has known Mike Wallace since the two were growing up in the Algiers section of New Orleans, so he knows how fast the rookie receiver from the University of Mississippi can move. And, because the best friends are roommates at training camp after each was drafted in the third round by the Steelers, Lewis can refute any notion that Wallace is so fast he can turn off the light switch and be in bed before the room gets dark.

But, man, is he fast.

"He's definitely the fastest I've run against," said Lewis, a 6-foot, 206-pound cornerback from Oregon State. "I pretty much know how fast he is now so I know how many yards to get back when I'm covering him."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09223/989992-66.stm

I really hope Wallace becomes the return man this season, so he could put that speed to good use. :helmet:

cmerrifield
08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I hope he continues to improve and learn quickly so that he can become a threat to opposing D's. I would love to see him active on gamedays.

Callax
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
His speed could be a real asset on returns or as a 3rd/4th WR on passing downs. I hope his hands are better than Nate's, He could get a few long TD bombs. He could be the steal of the draft for Pitt. Ziggy,Lewis,Burnett, and Wallace could be the big keys to this draft...
Any word on how the other CB, Burnett is doing??

Iron City South
08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Wallace is so fast that he already made the roster before the ink was dry!

Big T
08-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I was in Latrobe for a few days last week and in terms of Mike Wallace all I have to say is.... DAMN! Honestly this kid looks great. I wasn't so sure if I could say this before camp but Limas better watch out. That 3rd reciever spot isn't guarenteed especially with Mike Wallace doin what he's doin.

During the three days I was there, I didn't see him drop 1 pass. His hands looks great ( they are definitely better than Nate's) and his speed is just ridiculous. I am extremely excited about him.

I also got to speak with him for about 30 seconds and he is a really nice person. He is also extremely humble which is important in football.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Yea Big T Sweed better watch out! Reading all this stuff about the rookies just gets me more anxious for the season!! I"m soo ready!!! This year i'm really anxious to watch the preseason games to see the rookies in action!!

:herewego:

JensK
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
I was in Latrobe for a few days last week and in terms of Mike Wallace all I have to say is.... DAMN! Honestly this kid looks great. I wasn't so sure if I could say this before camp but Limas better watch out. That 3rd reciever spot isn't guarenteed especially with Mike Wallace doin what he's doin.

During the three days I was there, I didn't see him drop 1 pass. His hands looks great ( they are definitely better than Nate's) and his speed is just ridiculous. I am extremely excited about him.

I also got to speak with him for about 30 seconds and he is a really nice person. He is also extremely humble which is important in football.

While Wallace sounds amazing, i seriously doubt that he'll be anywhere close the 3rd WR this year. He may be killing things in TC, but when it comes to a real game its different. Everyone was really hoping Sweed would rock after his TC, but he was amazed by the speed of the real game, so i really dont think Wallace will take 3th spot just yet.

Big T
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I never said he would take the number three spot but my point was is that he's looked just as good if not better than Limas in training camp. They have also said that Limas has improved unbelievably over last years TC. That said what does that say about Mike Wallace if he is already on the same level as Sweed?

Mike Wallace will be the number 4 reciever. How is that not "anywhere close" to the 3rd WR spot?

K Train
08-11-2009, 01:08 PM
nate doesnt have bad hands btw....all of you are quick to jump on him for that....he got MUCH better as he got older. wallace is just like nate only more polished coming from a better program.

K Train
08-11-2009, 01:10 PM
He is also extremely humble which is important in football.

not really at all

cmerrifield
08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
If Wallace continues to develop and makes the #4 reciever, what does that do for McDonald, assuming Sweed actually wins the #3 spot?

ejsteeler
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
nate doesnt have bad hands btw....all of you are quick to jump on him for that....he got MUCH better as he got older. wallace is just like nate only more polished coming from a better program.
Nate had under average hands, that's why he is gone. You can say it was money, but it was hands.

not really at all
Humble is very important on a team that plays as a team like the Steelers. So if 6 SB's are any indication, it is a good thing.

Big T
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM
How is being humble not important Train? If you don't stay humble and you let **** get to your head then you turn into the Ochocincos, the Pacman Jones', the T.O.s, the Plaxico Burress'... etc. Those players have all had team problems, media problems, and/or legal problems because they let the fame and money get to their heads. Being humble is something the Steelers are very proud of and it has always been like that. It is something Mike Tomlin and the Rooney's look for.

JensK
08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I never said he would take the number three spot but my point was is that he's looked just as good if not better than Limas in training camp. They have also said that Limas has improved unbelievably over last years TC. That said what does that say about Mike Wallace if he is already on the same level as Sweed?

Mike Wallace will be the number 4 reciever. How is that not "anywhere close" to the 3rd WR spot?

Im not saying he isnt going to be, just not this year. From what im hearing, he is not at the samle level as Sweed. Everyone is so quick to love Wallace (hell, my self included), but it is really only because of hes amazing speed. He is not that great of a route-runner, even though its been said that he dosnt mind taking a hit now and then - That is something he has to work on. Sweed have been really great at route-running this TC, his been catching stuff, and he has one year in NFL.

Humble = Not all that important in football, but important in an org. like Steelers.

Big T
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I hear you JensK

K Train
08-11-2009, 03:49 PM
How is being humble not important Train? If you don't stay humble and you let **** get to your head then you turn into the Ochocincos, the Pacman Jones', the T.O.s, the Plaxico Burress'... etc. Those players have all had team problems, media problems, and/or legal problems because they let the fame and money get to their heads. Being humble is something the Steelers are very proud of and it has always been like that. It is something Mike Tomlin and the Rooney's look for.

its really not.....chad johnson is an overrated WR, always has been. TO is an all time great whether you like it or not, Pacman is a criminal and plaxico is lazy and a thug wannabe....it has nothign to do with their humbleness. Players can be cocky without doing jailtime. Steelers have had alot of cocky players that are all time greats and theres been a ton of them in the league, some are HOFers....theres nothing wrong with thinking your the best, especially when you are the best, your examples are just reaching for names.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
not really at all

Go tell that to the 49'ers... you must of had a chat with Michael Crabtree Ktrain!

JensK
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Go tell that to the 49'ers... you must of had a chat with Michael Crabtree Ktrain!

I thought it was Crabtree's agent who was a jerk? :o

K Train
08-11-2009, 04:02 PM

ok well crabtree was one of the most prolific college receivers ive seen play in my lifetime and while i dont think he'll be a great throw he was a first round pick that slipped but he still wants top 3 money....they knew this was gonna happen.

curry held out for a while....hes one of the god damn most humble people in the draft....it has nothing to do with holdouts

put your homer glasses down for like 3 minutes, you might like it

steelcitysfinestXL
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
put your homer glasses down for like 3 minutes, you might like it

Your a funny dude... :clap:

ToothAche
08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
It's intelligence that matters most, not if a player is humble or not. But, it is an admirable quality that could make him a fan favorite. Let's just hope he doesn't get caught up in a night club shooting, or doink some goofy broad in Tahoe.

Iron City South
08-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Steelers have had alot of cocky players that are all time greats.

Really? ..... Who? :thinking:

Tr305
08-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Reading all this stuff about the rookies just gets me more anxious for the season!! I"m soo ready!!! This year i'm really anxious to watch the preseason games to see the rookies in action!!

:herewego:

STEELER FOOTBALL IS CUMING BACK! im watchen out for mike wallace and lewis... i hear ziggy doin good I wasnt so sure bout draft at first and still; they havent played any the rookies but i think we did better then some thought at first glance.