PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2010 Free Agents

Big T
08-05-2009, 01:50 AM
The Steelers have a number of starters that are scheduled to be Free Agents after this season. The list includes guys like Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, Ryan Clark, Jeff Reed, Justin Hartwig, Willie Colon(restricted free agent), and Brett Keisel.

Everytime I look at this list I get a terrible gut renching feeling. I don't want to lose any of them (ok maybe except Hartwig). But I know it is unavoidable mostly because of the contract extentions awarded to James Harrison, Heath Miller, and Max Starks.

My question to all of you is:

Out of every player on that list, who would you be most disappointed to see wearing a different uniform?

My number 1 is Willie Parker. I know a lot of you might think he's on a decline but he's just had a couple bad breaks (no pun intended). I still think he can be a feature back for a few more years and I think "Thunder and Lightning" (Rashard and Willie) could be a great tandem for a few years. Parker has been one of my favorite players since 2004 and I would be extremely disappointed to see him leave the Steelers. I really hope he decides to take a hometown discount to stay with the team and he and the front office can work out an extention. Also Jeff Reed and Ryan Clark are high on my list. :banging:

--- Added 8/5/2009 at 12:50 AM ---

Wow I spelled extension wrong....twice

Dude487
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Only one I'd be dissapointed to see leaving is Reed. The rest should have their replacements ready ( Hood for Keisel, Mendenhall for Willie, Mundy for Clark, Hoke/Draft Pick? for Hampton).

Colon will get resigned, I'd hate to lose him though. Hartwig is ok, but he is just a 2 year stopgap, a new center should be there next year

I love Parker, but the team is making it clear he is not in their future plans, and if he has a big season he'll get a huge contract somewhere else

HUNT4SEVEN
08-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I want to keep Hampton, Clark an Kiesel an Reed unless he's tries to be greedy, Hartwig an Willie can be an should be replaced IMO. Hampton, Reed, an Clark has been the only ones to show up year in an year out since they came here.

LatrobePA
08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
B4 I jump off the Parker bandwagon I want to see something from our other backs...

Troyisabeast_43
08-05-2009, 06:01 PM
How about we just focus on this season and who can help the Steelers win a 7th Lombardi Trophy THIS SEASON in 2009 and not who is and isn't going to be a Steeler in 2010. If the Steelers win another Super Bowl this year and go back to back which is very very tough to do and would be an amazing accomplishment, and win their 7th Super Bowl overall I will take the good with the bad in terms of whoever we lose going into 2010. The Steelers as we sit here right now with all the guys they have signed at each position, and each one of those players age they have about a 2 year window right now I would say of having a great chance to win at the very least 1 more Super Bowl Championship with the current team they have today...

Zachintosh66
08-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Keep: Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, Jeff Reed, Willie Colon(restricted free agent)

Can survive with out: Ryan Clark, Justin Hartwig, Brett Keisel

Colon will be unrestricted if we DO NOT sign the CBA in time...

K Train
08-05-2009, 07:30 PM
colon is unrestricted anyway

hampton is gone, no doubt about it. hes old and just saw tommy kelly, canty, haynesworth, rogers, and other DTs get monster deals, he'll be looking to cash in

keisel will stay because hood will make the team keep him

reed should stay

clark is 50/50

parker is gone

hartwig is gone

Captcoolhand
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
colon is unrestricted anyway

hampton is gone, no doubt about it. hes old and just saw tommy kelly, canty, haynesworth, rogers, and other DTs get monster deals, he'll be looking to cash in

keisel will stay because hood will make the team keep him

reed should stay

clark is 50/50

parker is gone

hartwig is gone
o my god, rogers only cash in because it's because it the clowns

Captcoolhand
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Rogers only game back becauses of the money he would make and he wants that

andyg1984
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
The only question to me is if we did give Hampton a deal, even if that meant giving up everyone else, which one of the young guys does this impact that are coming up for extensions? I would like to see a more stable centerfielder so I am fine w/ Clark leaving , I am fine w/ Willie leaving because RM will take over by seasons end anyway, Fartwig can leave now for all i care, let colon test the market .. BK and Reed are keepers to me if possible

K Train
08-06-2009, 04:00 AM
keisel and reed are affordable, hamton is not the price for NTs in a 34 skyrocketed the last few year...KC, Denver, Dallas, Miami, AZ would all love to get there hands on a true NT

DanRooney
08-06-2009, 06:45 AM
If Hampton leaves, we will have absolutely no depth behind Hoke at the NT position.

Iron City South
08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Big Snack is as good as gone. There's no way he'll take the kind of discount that he'll need to take to stay .... and truly, why would he knowing it's his last shot at a big contract? (it's the joey porter scenario all over again ...and look, we've done fine)

Steelers realize the value in keeping Clark after witnessing the drop in seconday performance when he was out last year ...... The chemistry between him an Troy Pola is something rare and is also something the Steelers FO (front office) will want to keep in tact.

The Parker situation is the one that intrigues me. On one hand you have Willie who is extremely loyal to the Steelers and is a proven commodity. On the other hand you have a 2nd year guy that you drafted to eventually be "the man" who has all the tools to be an elite back in this league .... but hasn't yet had the opportunity to show-off his skills. The first 6 games will basically serve as the job interview for Parker's extension (if there is to be one). It will also say alot for where Mendenhall is too ....

steelcitymonster
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Be careful what you ask for, the pro bowlers everyone wants to get rid of will be harder to replace than you think! the threat willie parker, and casey hampton pose causes teams to plan for them even if they are unable to produce!

andyg1984
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
i dont understand why people want to keep willie parker so badly?? Do not mean to be "that" guy, but that HUGE contract James Harrison received obviously has some ramifications here -Woodley is up for an extension soon dont forget ... all the years of service from big snack leave me hungry for more

ejsteeler
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Big Snack is as good as gone. There's no way he'll take the kind of discount that he'll need to take to stay .... and truly, why would he knowing it's his last shot at a big contract? (it's the joey porter scenario all over again ...and look, we've done fine)

Steelers realize the value in keeping Clark after witnessing the drop in seconday performance when he was out last year ...... The chemistry between him an Troy Pola is something rare and is also something the Steelers FO (front office) will want to keep in tact.

The Parker situation is the one that intrigues me. On one hand you have Willie who is extremely loyal to the Steelers and is a proven commodity. On the other hand you have a 2nd year guy that you drafted to eventually be "the man" who has all the tools to be an elite back in this league .... but hasn't yet had the opportunity to show-off his skills. The first 6 games will basically serve as the job interview for Parker's extension (if there is to be one). It will also say alot for where Mendenhall is too ....

:plus1: Well put

K Train
08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Be careful what you ask for, the pro bowlers everyone wants to get rid of will be harder to replace than you think! the threat willie parker, and casey hampton pose causes teams to plan for them even if they are unable to produce!

no one wants to get rid of hampton, its just reality.

terrence cody would be a sick draft pick next year.....first true NT since ngata

JensK
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
no one wants to get rid of hampton, its just reality.

terrence cody would be a sick draft pick next year.....first true NT since ngata

Steelers should have a god aweful season to be anywhere near Terrence Cody though. He'll be drafted way high, seeing that 3-4 NTs are in high demand these 3-4 days

K Train
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
maybe they could show a little god damn initiative and move up and get him

JensK
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
maybe they could show a little god damn initiative and move up and get him

I'll believe it when i see it :evilshake: I guess they actually did try to move up this year, but i suppose they just arent ready to give up what it takes. We won't have HUGE holes to fill next year expect of NT and possible some o-line, so they could trade away some picks and move up :2cents:

K Train
08-06-2009, 02:22 PM
with big year for LTs and cody i hope like hell they move up

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Keep: Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, Jeff Reed, Willie Colon(restricted free agent)

Can survive with out: Ryan Clark, Justin Hartwig, Brett Keisel

Colon will be unrestricted if we DO NOT sign the CBA in time...

Actually at this point we can't survive on the DL without Keisel simply because we have definite backup that can step in and take his place. Brett is really underrated and unless we get someone like Hood to step up to the plate and really solidify his place on the team as a difference maker then Brett is still a priority. I can see the FO though waiting for this season to find out how well Hood develops and then making a decision on Kiesel after that.

Ryan Clark, who's going to take his place? Ty Carter? NO! Clark is a must, both he and Troy are an epic tandem. As long as Clark can stay healthy this is a duo you don't want to break up.

Hartwig, yeah he can go..no great loss there with our young prospects.

Reed - STAY, he's been a lifesaver for us all too often and it's not every kicker than has mastered the art of Heinz Field in December.

Colon- IF and I say IF he has a good year this year then I think he becomes a big priority on the FA list for us to get re-signed.

Parker - WE have Moore who is a staple and solid for us. Mendenhall is still unknown. We hope he'll come on strong and have a good year but there is no guarantee. Right now Parker is still the top option for us at RB until proven otherwise by Mendenhall.

SteelD43
08-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Ryan Clark is my guy, he has been passed over before by Washington, our defense was soft uptop when he was hurt, and I think he stabilizes the D and allows Troy to fly around the field like a madman.....I hate to see Hamp go but I think he's done. He trimmed down this offseason to let teams know he is serious about having a big contract year.

andyg1984
08-06-2009, 05:31 PM
there is just something about Clark that gets me nervous w/ his recklessness and health .. I think many Steelers fans get caught up w/ the way he hits because of our rich defensive tradition, i would prefer more of a centerfielder who is an ace in coverage .. What does every1 think of Lewis @ FS?

K Train
08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
lewis and mundy shoudl both be able to get a shot to be that guy

Big T
08-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Willie Parker, Ryan Clark, Jeff reed...I can live with losing the rest. Though I'd like to keep Hampton he will want too much and I think the three that I mentioned will be atleast somewhat willing to take a home town discount to stay with the team. And on the topic of woodleys extension, he said it himself, winning and superbowls are way more important than money, the money will always be there.

K Train
08-07-2009, 03:38 AM
parker wont stay, no way, hes in a contract year and will cash in somewhere else. i would say if mendenhall shits the bed this year which i dont think will happen then parker might get franchised but i doubt it

ejsteeler
08-07-2009, 01:46 PM
there is just something about Clark that gets me nervous w/ his recklessness and health .. I think many Steelers fans get caught up w/ the way he hits because of our rich defensive tradition, i would prefer more of a centerfielder who is an ace in coverage .. What does every1 think of Lewis @ FS?

That is exactly what makes him so valuable and makes the moves he and Troy put together (with Dick's help of course) work. Can't have it both ways folks.
Clark is a keeper.

andyg1984
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
if lewis is that guy or is expected to be by seasons end w/in a few years, how does having a guy who is better in coverage than clark w/ less injury risk hurt what troy does? I am of course saying that we let Clark go if Lewis steps up btw ... i just think that if we can resign Casey and that is a big if it would make sense to get rid of clark .. true NT's are too hard to find in the draft and guys who are pure plugs like Casey can have long careers .. by the language in the interviews w/ clark it does not appear that his contract negotiations are as peachy as some think they are and his longevity is obviously an area of concern

K Train
08-08-2009, 01:45 PM
wexell says keisel talks are gonna heat up and reed will probably be franchised at the end of the year