PDA

View Full Version : Steelers receiver finding his Sweed spot early in camp

Sir Blitzelot
08-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Steelers receiver finding his Sweed spot early in camp
Tuesday, August 04, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

See Limas run. See Limas catch. More important, see Limas know where to go and what to do when he gets there.

Three days into training camp and not much has stood out more at Saint Vincent College than Limas Sweed, not even James Harrison's Smart car. He runs routes with authority, catches passes seemingly with ease and even has learned to find a seam or two in a zone defense. In other words, all the things he did not do last season as the team's No. 2 draft choice

Link to rest of story: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09216/988406-66.stm

Looks like Limas is really stepping up. Maybe, this will be his breakout season that we've all been waiting for.

Captcoolhand
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
:2cents: Kinda reminds me of Plax Burress's rookie year, dropped alot of passes but had a by far better Career after that 1st year.

Hopfully he doesn't develope that attitude Burress did that got him **** canned from this team. :crossfingers:

Callax
08-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Link to rest of story: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09216/988406-66.stm

Looks like Limas is really stepping up. Maybe, this will be his breakout season that we've all been waiting for.

Not many rookies can go to a team and excell (USUALLY!) Especially with a solid, veteran lineup...
there are some exceptions:
anquan boldin 1st pro game 10 catches 200+ yards
desean jackson had a great rookie year...
I remember a rookie from Steeler past that caught 11 passes in his first season.
2nd season, he caught 11 TOUCHDOWN PASSES!!
He ended up in the HALL OF FAME

I believe we called him LYNN SWANN!

86WARD
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't need a "breakout" season...I just need to see consistency and a productive season. I need a "breakout" season from Holmes...

--- Added 8/4/2009 at 03:48 PM ---

but maybe my definition of "breakout" is different...

LatrobePA
08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Sweed will be fine....He proved to me he's a Steeler with the block he layed!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Dude oozes pedigree... he played and excelled at Texas, he has the size, speed and build to be a dynamic WR in this league. Thats the main reason i WILL and have been so critical of him. A guy like that probably didnt take last seasons "subpar" performance in his few attempts pretty well. Add that with the fact that he has 2 SB MVPs ahead of him ... im SURE he will have a major chip on his shoulder this year!!! I look for Sweed to have a MONSTER year and Career!!!

andyg1984
08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
that is very encouraging .. dont forget that Wallace has shown the potential to be a stud a few years from now as a speed guy ... does this equal a 40 TD year from Ben three seasons from now ? Never too early to speculate!

Big T
08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I completely agree with you 86WARD. I think Santonio needs that 1,000+ yard season and 10+ TDs. He showed flashes of what he's capable of in the postseason( and that monster touchdown against the Titans week 16). Could you imagine the things he could do for the Steelers if he produced like that all during the regular season? Anyway about Limas, I would be happy with 400-500 yards and 3-5 TDs. He doesn't have to get over 1,000 yards for it to be a productive season. Plus he did show flashes last year.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I really think Santonio learned last season: Being the "go to guy" on a successful team is more important than his personal numbers. The past few seasons he predicted "1000 yds, 100 recs and 10 tds''. Now he know this team just keeps adding weapons and he has to make the most of his chances!!!

With the addition of Mende, the hopeful emergence of Sweed and legitimate speed threats in Wallace and McDonald... Holmes may realize he is in a damn good offense where he is the new go to guy!!! That should be more important than individual numbers!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm glad for Sweed:clap:, an i hope he has an breakout year:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Sweed is going to be a beast no doubt.......I wasn't worried at him at all last year......I think 40 catches isn't out of the question for Sweed this year......with 5-6 TD's......

LatrobePA
08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
With Holmes begging dbl coverage Sweed will be open A LOT!

yinzer
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
dont forget that Wallace has shown the potential to be a stud a few years

i would say before that. he's tearing up training camp

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sure Tomlin got Sweeds attention with drafting Wallace and picking up McDonald in the FA..He needed to come in and start playing like the stud he is..its his spot to lose so i'm sure he'll be tearing it up this year.

LatrobePA
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
i would say before that. he's tearing up training camp

Yes he is, got behind coverage Ben hit him in stride....I say our wide outs will be tough to defend this year!

Dean Denton
08-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Sweed is going to be a stud... those two big passes he dropped would have been TD's. He will learn to hold the ball. Or he will be holding something else on the sideline...lol

86WARD
08-05-2009, 08:52 AM
I saw an interview with him yesterday where he said things are starting to slow down for him...which is a great things!

K Train
08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
ive been saying its only a matter of time before he takes over the world

Troyisabeast_43
08-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I agree with Hines and Santanio receiving a lot of attention look for Sweed to get open a lot which he has proven he can do and make a lot of big big plays this year for the Steelers. I look for him to be a big gamebreaker for the Steelers this year in games that are close. I keep hearing people on tv and radio talk shows saying that they have a big concern about the receiving core. Personally, I think this receiving core is as good as it's been in years with Hines,Santanio,Sweed,McDonald who is very underrated and a pretty good receiver, Wallace who is having a great camp and has awesome speed, and Heath Miller at the tight end spot. The Steelers have multiple weapons all over the field and if Ben has time to find anyone of the guys above I just mentioned this offense is going to be very very tough to defend against...

igor0190
08-06-2009, 07:09 PM
What radio shows are you speaking of? They must be crazy!

Holmes, Ward, and Miller!

Even if Sweed doesn't win the 3rd spot immediately, Mcdonald could easily be a quality 3rd WR. And Sweed is pedigree so he will make an impact this year no doubt.

lloydfan4life
08-06-2009, 11:39 PM
The Steelers have multiple weapons all over the field and if Ben has time to find anyone of the guys above I just mentioned this offense is going to be very very tough to defend against...

That's the key right there!
Hopefully the O line will pick up where it left off last year. Growing together and becoming a cohesive unit. IMO the jury's still out on this though.
Our WR core could be tremendous for years to come. :cope: