PDA

View Full Version : No "Wildcat" For The Steelers?

86WARD
08-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Dennis Dixon said last week that he'd welcome the opportunity to run the Wildcat offense for the Steelers. It looks like the second-year quarterback has as good a chance of beating out Ben Roethlisberger as he does of getting featured in the sub package that is the wrinkle du jour in the NFL.

"I'm not a Wildcat guy," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "and Dennis would get broken in half."

One of the top passing and running quarterbacks his senior year at Oregon, Dixon is long and lean at 6-3, 209 pounds. He gave the Steelers' first-team defense a look at the Wildcat before last season's regular-season finale when he played the role of Cleveland's Joshua Cribbs. But it doesn't look like Dixon will run the Wildcat in a game any time soon.

"The only Wildcat runner in this league is a 240-pound running back named Ronnie Brown," Arians said of the Miami Dolphins running back.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_636497.html

LatrobePA
08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Good that formation is stupid and played out!

Zachintosh66
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
real teams dont need wildcat... just a fad

TEEMONT
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
real teams dont need wildcat... just a fad

yeah just like the spread offense in college......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Arians is way too set in his ways to actually try something different and unique like this, so yeah we'll never see it. It's not like it's something we'd want to see series after series week in and week out but once in awhile just to keep defenses on their toes, it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

LatrobePA
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
3rd and goal, what do you call if you're BA??? Yes you're right QB sneak!! When will he learn! lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2009, 12:32 PM
No no no, you call a play where Ben has to run for his left because the line can't block and then you have the improvise and at the last possible second we somehow manage to squeak out a FG :lol:

oh wait, that's every play!

Callax
08-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I wonder if he's trying to throw everyone off that line of thought by saying, "No no, we won't do that, then put in a few plays just for that formation."
If he does or doesn't inplement that formation is of no concern for me, I hope Pitt just runs the ball better and the OL protect Ben better than last year!!!

HUNT4SEVEN
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
No no no, you call a play where Ben has to run for his left because the line can't block and then you have the improvise and at the last possible second we somehow manage to squeak out a FG :lol:

oh wait, that's every play!

:rofl::rofl:Good one.....