PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Steelers will deal with distractions

86WARD
07-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Mike Tomlin has said he will not use the term "repeat" when it comes to the Steelers' quest for another Super Bowl title. "My mentality in regard to distractions is changing, and that's probably how I'm growing into the job," Tomlin said. "If you're going to be good, distractions are a part of it. I'm more concerned about embracing that and dealing with it and performing in the midst of it as opposed to being resistant to it." Tomlin said the Steelers have to stay focused on improving and that includes him. "I better get better, and getting better doesn't necessarily always mean a better outcome," said Tomlin, who won a Super Bowl at age 36, making him the youngest coach to accomplish that feat. "I understand that. I'm always trying to be the best I can be. I'm as critical of myself as anyone. I think that's appropriate from a leadership standpoint. Hopefully I'll do a cleaner, more efficient job of (coaching) in '09."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_635342.html

Troyisabeast_43
07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Mike Tomlin has said he will not use the term "repeat" when it comes to the Steelers' quest for another Super Bowl title. "My mentality in regard to distractions is changing, and that's probably how I'm growing into the job," Tomlin said. "If you're going to be good, distractions are a part of it. I'm more concerned about embracing that and dealing with it and performing in the midst of it as opposed to being resistant to it." Tomlin said the Steelers have to stay focused on improving and that includes him. "I better get better, and getting better doesn't necessarily always mean a better outcome," said Tomlin, who won a Super Bowl at age 36, making him the youngest coach to accomplish that feat. "I understand that. I'm always trying to be the best I can be. I'm as critical of myself as anyone. I think that's appropriate from a leadership standpoint. Hopefully I'll do a cleaner, more efficient job of (coaching) in '09."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_635342.html

These are the kind of things you want to hear coming out of Tomlin's mouth. This is exactly why I believe the Steelers under Tomlin's guidance coming off a Super Bowl win last season will not get complacent or take anything for granted like Bill Cowher did in 2006 coming off a Super Bowl win. This team will be more focused and be more ready to deal with the whole aspect of "repeating" and that's why they will have an excellent chance to do just that...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2009, 04:08 PM
If this were Cowher still coaching I would be a lot more worried about this team than I am now. Cowher never seemed to be able to keep the team focused consistently through the season, one week we'd be up and the next week we'd lose to a team we should beat. A distraction like this with Tomlin at the controls will be dealt with better than we've seen before so I don't forsee this being that big of a deal in terms of team focus.

Bucsfan4ever
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
You guys have a good coach!! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
07-28-2009, 05:58 PM
What distraction is he talking about?? Did I miss something? lol

andyg1984
07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
jeez ... i dont think i have heard one person say anything negative about Tomlin since I joined this site ..not that there should be a meaningful volume, but SB 43 was won w/ a team that BC built .. dont get me wrong, i really like tomlin ... just stirring the pot a little

ejsteeler
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Give credit where it is due....BC didn't do it again before he left with the same team and coordinators now did he.....
I'm a BC fan, but MT is the future of this franchise and we are behind him 100% :yellowthumb: :cope:

Lunchbucket
07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
jeez ... i dont think i have heard one person say anything negative about Tomlin since I joined this site ..not that there should be a meaningful volume, but SB 43 was won w/ a team that BC built .. dont get me wrong, i really like tomlin ... just stirring the pot a little

What's not to like?He has handled himself like a pro. In a short period of time he controlled the Hampton over weight situation,the Holmes pot suspension, and a team that was nursing a Super bowl hangover. No disrespect to BC,he won a title for us but MT brings an energy to this club that is needed.:2cents: P.S. He was also smart enough to keep Le Beau and the 3-4 instead of the D he was familiar with.

andyg1984
07-28-2009, 09:20 PM
guys, read my post a little more carefully ..haha .. i really like Tomlin and i think he has done an outstanding job.. but lets be honest - the cupboard was stocked... it is just right now every1 is giving that "he can do no wrong" vibe out .. this herd mentality is not what blogs are for .. lol

greennick
07-29-2009, 06:56 AM
guys, read my post a little more carefully ..haha .. i really like Tomlin and i think he has done an outstanding job.. but lets be honest - the cupboard was stocked... it is just right now every1 is giving that "he can do no wrong" vibe out .. this herd mentality is not what blogs are for .. lol

But, so far at least, he has done no wrong!

ejsteeler
07-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Read my post......as I said, BC had this stocked cupboard too and could not get back.......

Callax
07-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I love BC intensity and passion fior the game, but he was too conservative in crunch time.
You could see his tendency for "MARTY BALL" would raise it's ugly head...
Run the ball, punt and let the Defense win the game
at times he's play not to lose instead of TO WIN!
MT has inproved this team with his attention and coaching of the DB's on this team and it shows!!!!
I was leary of MT taking over, but he has won me over as a fan!!
Just control the things you can, forget about things you cannot, and let the rest take care of itself!

ejsteeler
07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
I love BC intensity and passion fior the game, but he was too conservative in crunch time.
You could see his tendency for "MARTY BALL" would raise it's ugly head...
Run the ball, punt and let the Defense win the game
at times he's play not to lose instead of TO WIN!
MT has inproved this team with his attention and coaching of the DB's on this team and it shows!!!!
I was leary of MT taking over, but he has won me over as a fan!!
Just control the things you can, forget about things you cannot, and let the rest take care of itself!

:plus1:

TampaSteelGirl
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
These are the kind of things you want to hear coming out of Tomlin's mouth. This is exactly why I believe the Steelers under Tomlin's guidance coming off a Super Bowl win last season will not get complacent or take anything for granted like Bill Cowher did in 2006 coming off a Super Bowl win. This team will be more focused and be more ready to deal with the whole aspect of "repeating" and that's why they will have an excellent chance to do just that...

I agree and love this post!!! :yellowthumb:

andyg1984
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Read my post......as I said, BC had this stocked cupboard too and could not get back.......

but he is the one who did the stocking ... tomlin has the players in their prime .. BC would have probably won SB 43 anyway just like Wiz may have .. Who says Bill was even full speed his last season?? He clearly was not ... If you want to think that Tomlin is a better coach than BC that is your opinion and that is cool and i think in the LONG RUN we may be able to see that, but my opinion is simply that there is not enough evidence at this point.. that is it .. because of the small sample size/fact that w/ exception of Woodley, Timmons and maybe Gay SB 43 champs were BC's team like it or not (although i will admit MT has had some bad luck w/ some of his draft picks injury wise and we knew some of them would take time to begin w/ + he has only had two years) ...

Let me clarify again please -- I really like Tomlin and think he has done an excellent job.. i understand BC's flaws ... i am just surprised i have not heard that discussion here yet and wanted to see what people thought

ejsteeler
07-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Oh no, it is too early to say MT is better than anyone, a long carreer ahead of him still. I think he has what it takes to surpass the chin though. Only time will tell.