PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor Continues Working On Speed.

86WARD
07-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Right before the start of the Steelers' final two days of voluntary practices in June, cornerback Ike Taylor was electronically timed in the 40-yard dash by speed coach Tom Shaw at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Taylor was clocked in 4.26 seconds.

"We had a speed sign out here it's a police radar gun they put on city streets,'' Shaw said. "We were running the 40-yard dash, and Ike ran 26 mph. The speed limit was 25, so Ike could have gotten a ticket for running.''

But seriously, folks.

"We had other guys running,'' Shaw said. "But 26 was a freak time. And he was just cruising.''

Taylor, 29, is a freakish athlete built more along the lines of a safety (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) than a corner. He also has a 42-inch vertical leap.

He ran 4.18 in the 40 (hand-held) at Louisiana-Lafayette's Pro Day in 2003 (he wasn't invited to the combine), prompting the Steelers to draft him in the fourth round that year despite the fact he played cornerback for only one season in college.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_635267.html

K Train
07-25-2009, 02:48 PM
fastest player on the team by far.....and thats with parker and holmes. he should really work on fundamentals and the mental part cause hes got the physical part down

Big T
07-25-2009, 06:09 PM
K Train: I wouldn't say by far. Willie has been clocked at 4.27...now I'm not saying he's not the fastest player on the team, Im just saying it's not by far...I was blown away when I heard about his 4.18 at his pro day...if he works on those hands...he could be one of the best corners in the league...he is one of the most underrated players in the NFL along with Ryan Clark. There's been a couple seasons where Ike could have had double digit interceptions...just keep working on those hands.

SteelCityKid5
07-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow, I thought Ike was fast but not 4.2 fast.

igor0190
07-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Wow, I really had no idea either...

86WARD
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Ike is probably the most underrated CB in the league...already one of the better ones at the position. I knew he was faster than Parker and Holmes, but like a couple other guys here...had no idea he scorched that 4.18 at Pro-day...that is sick.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-26-2009, 10:01 PM
fastest player on the team by far.....and thats with parker and holmes. he should really work on fundamentals and the mental part cause hes got the physical part down

Agreed!:tt02:

K Train
07-26-2009, 10:19 PM
K Train: I wouldn't say by far. Willie has been clocked at 4.27...now I'm not saying he's not the fastest player on the team, Im just saying it's not by far...I was blown away when I heard about his 4.18 at his pro day...if he works on those hands...he could be one of the best corners in the league...he is one of the most underrated players in the NFL along with Ryan Clark. There's been a couple seasons where Ike could have had double digit interceptions...just keep working on those hands.

ike has put parker and holmes to shame in the run test every year, and hes quite a bit heavier and quite a bit taller than both of them. hes easily top 10 fastest players in the league

Callax
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM

I do not recall that Holmes was remarkably fast at the combine... I don't think he was timed in the 4.2 or even the 4.3 range...
I know FWP is stoopid fast, but I think Holmes is quick and fast, just not 4.3 fast...
Maybe low 4.4 fast, which is still pretty good.
I believe we should keep an eye on wr mike wallace. He'll be a burner and a good one if his hands are as good as his speed

K Train
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
i think holmes was a 4.38 at the combine and im pretty sure was faster on ohio states pro day

edit...yeah his fastest was 4.35

Callax
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
i think holmes was a 4.38 at the combine and im pretty sure was faster on ohio states pro day

edit...yeah his fastest was 4.35

really??
I didn't think he ran that well... how late in the first round did he fall
25th pick, that is a surprise if those numbers are true!!!!!

K Train
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
it was a weak class overall, alot of people had chad jackson #1 and holmes #2, i had it holmes, jennings, moss, jackson. i didnt think we would go WR in the first though. i wanted mangold, cromartie, lawson, kiwauka, mcneil or ngata that year....i loved the holmes pick though, i just didnt think he would be there

Callax
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
it was a weak class overall, alot of people had chad jackson #1 and holmes #2, i had it holmes, jennings, moss, jackson. i didnt think we would go WR in the first though. i wanted mangold, cromartie, lawson, kiwauka, mcneil or ngata that year....i loved the holmes pick though, i just didnt think he would be there

That year I wanted Chad Jackson also..
a little bigger and a little faster..
He went to NE and I think <2 years later he was released
I guess the Steelers made the smarter decision!!!!

K Train
07-27-2009, 03:32 PM
florida Wrs are scary lol

TEEMONT
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM
ike has put parker and holmes to shame in the run test every year, and hes quite a bit heavier and quite a bit taller than both of them. hes easily top 10 fastest players in the league

he's not heavier than Willie....

K Train
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
your right i thought he was around 210, not 195

TEEMONT
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
your right i thought he was around 210, not 195

he's a skinny little bitch

K Train
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah well for being so skinny hes a monster in run support

Zachintosh66
07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Anyone have Wallaces speed?

K Train
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
4.33 at the combine, hes so similar to nate its ridiculous

JensK
07-28-2009, 02:02 AM
4.33 at the combine, hes so similar to nate its ridiculous

From what i've heard (havnt actually seen the guy play other than a few youtube clips), he is supposed to be somewhat faster than nate, although his combine stats did not show that. They sound like he has some pretty decent hands too, something nate sure lacked. He is a terrible route-runner though..

K Train
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
nate was as raw as they come, if we can turn nate into anything worth a damn we should do ok with a clone of him from a big school who is 100x more polished as a WR....hes got nate size and speed and nates hands werent terrible, he is actually pretty aware but when your undrafted from tiffin theres alot to learn and alot to think about...he got better each year

nate was amazingly fast off the snap and out of his cuts, fastest on the team, and thats what wallace needs to dupilcate

steelcitysfinestXL
07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
nate was as raw as they come, if we can turn nate into anything worth a damn we should do ok with a clone of him from a big school who is 100x more polished as a WR....hes got nate size and speed and nates hands werent terrible, he is actually pretty aware but when your undrafted from tiffin theres alot to learn and alot to think about...he got better each year

nate was amazingly fast off the snap and out of his cuts, fastest on the team, and thats what wallace needs to dupilcate

:plus1: Wallace played in the best confrence in college football, the SEC. Tiffin is a far stretch from that. Wallace also adds return value. Hopefully he picks up on his WR role quickly and can ALSO return punts. That wasnt something Holmes (admittedly) was good at early!