PDA

View Full Version : Pirates not wanting to be Pirates Anymore...

Zachintosh66
07-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Just curious on everyones thoughts about Sanchez and Wilson turning down extension and publicly saying they dont want to be in Pittsburgh any longer.

Also hear Ian Snell is in the minors now and they want him to be up with the Pirates and he refuses. Stating he was, "miserable and depressed to the point of suicide." Last time he was up... thats crazy.

Prosdo
07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I heard that Wilson and Sanchez both came out saying they wanted to stay here.

Zachintosh66
07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I heard that Wilson and Sanchez both came out saying they wanted to stay here.

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Pirates have cut off contract talks with shortstop Jack Wilson and second baseman Freddy Sanchez after the player didn't respond to multiyear offers, increasing the chances the double-play duo will be traded before the season ends.

Discussions could resume if the players' agents make counter proposals, but Pirates general manager Neal Huntington cautioned the team will not move far off the two-year offers made last week. The players believe the money is so below market value, there is no reason to negotiate unless the Pirates substantially upgrade the dollars.

"We've not received a counter at his point, so for our minds, they're not interested even in the foundation we've laid," Huntington said Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4339694

Dee Mca
07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Honestly I feel Freddy and Jack are getting screwed. They signed contracts in good faith to play for the Pirates. Just because the front office won't spend the money to put a team on the field that can compete shouldn't blame Freddy or Jack. The Pirates want them to take HUGE pay cuts to stay and play on a team that only hopes they can be at 500 at end of season.

It was October 14th 1992
Sid Bream slowest man in baseball scored from 2nd. That's the night baseball in Pittsburgh died.

lloydfan4life
07-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Me thinks the front office needs to get their collective heads out of their asses and start spending some dough. The Bucs are a laughing stock in a City of Champions!

Callax
07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I heard on the radio that Freddy and Jack want to stay and that they are in negotiations again for new contracts... The organizaton want to improve their team by getting good young prospects in their minor leagues and have them progress thru the minors. The Pirates have NO ONE in their system to take Jack's place at short...

NO ONE!!!
Bixler proved he cannot field nor hit evn remotely close to Wilson's .275 avg.
and Bixler is now playing CF for AAA Indy...
Does this show what kind of a shortstop he has developed into???
Keep Jack period, unless someone makes such a lopsided offer that includes a AAA level SS ready to play ..... then make the trade....
until then.. never!!!!!

Prosdo
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
"We are definitely ready to still negotiate," the second baseman said. "My goal is still to stay in Pittsburgh and hopefully stay here for my career and play here. That hasn't changed. I'm still willing to negotiate this thing out."

Wilson's decision isn't as much about salary as it is about what his middle-infield partner and close friend Sanchez does. The Pirates offered Wilson a two-year deal worth $8 million. It's an offer that Wilson said he will absolutely consider as is if Sanchez agrees to a deal first.

"[The Pirates] know my terms as far as how I feel about Freddy and the direction of this team," Wilson said. "They know that I'm open to staying and that I want to stay. I have to wait for Freddy. For me to make a decision on the Pirates and the future has a lot to do with what happens to Freddy. I'm going to wait and see what happens with Freddy before I look into contract stuff."

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090720&content_id=5958712&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Interesting to see how this all pans out. I'd hate to see both of these guys leave.

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Well with Adam Laroche now traded for low to mid-level prospects the Pirates are really starting to be bottom feeders....I would be surprised that this team could beat a high ranked AA team or remain competative in AAA. They would struggle. It's obvious that players who have left our team do well for others.
I for one think MLB needs to dismantle the ownership, get rid of the tax that high salary teams pay small market teams and be done with the Pittsburgh Pirates. If an owner wants to purchase the Pirates and work under it's own salary structure and not receive the revenue sharing then fine. If the team becomes competative the money they would have got would be set in escrow and released. But only after having a winning season for 3 out of 5 what ever comes first. If they don't then they won't get it.
The fleecing of the City,State and the Fans is arguably one of the worst victimization in all of sports.
Yes you can protest by not going but if your living in Allegheny County your tax dollars are paying for that stadium. I would imagine there is a crime somewhere here.
I don't know how much the Pirates got this season but if I remember reading a Post-Gazette story two years or so the Pirates payroll for players was almost equal to what they got in return from revenue sharing.
I know there all types of arguments about this but honestly the situation is so dire that something needs to be done.
What people should do is not renew and boycott the rest of the season. Got to a Washington Wild Things game...take your money and drive to Altoona or Erie and I bet the amount dollars to dollars that by the time you went to the game and came home the AA game would be better and more fun and you still wouldn't have spent as much money as going to a Bucco's game!
Oh by the way ----Matt Capps---Freddy Sanchez---Jack Wilson and Garrett might all be gone by next week...You might even see Zack Duke sold......

Prosdo
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Didn't know they dealt LaRoche away till just now. And the plot thickens...

Troyisabeast_43
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Seeing what Garrett Jones has done since he has been called up hitting 9 homeruns in 50 some at-bats it made trading Adam Laroche that much easier seeing that they finally have somebody that can replace him in the lineup. Plus, this will allow the Bucs to call up Lastings Milledge as well the guy they got in the Nyjer Morgan trade and plug him into the lineup in left field and move Jones to first base on a permanent basis. Trading Adam Laroche is not a bad thing fellas trust me the guy was a load and the Pirates are a better baseball team without Laroche and his 7 million dollar a year salary on it.

Callax
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Interesting to see how this all pans out. I'd hate to see both of these guys leave.

The pirates offer was an insulting low ball offer that neither one did or should accept....

they are better players and the managemant was trying to make them look bad in the paper about not taking the offers...
I do not know if i want to support a team that has mismanageed itself in such a terrible way for nearly

2 decades!!!
getting average players, terrible drafts, horrible Free agency signings, trading away any decent players for has beens or never will-be's....
The fans are seriously running out of patience!!!
This area of fans have proven that if you put a winning product on the field, diamond, or ice, they will support you!!!!!!!
so do that!!!!

TEEMONT
07-30-2009, 12:06 PM
The pirates offer was an insulting low ball offer that neither one did or should accept....

they are better players and the managemant was trying to make them look bad in the paper about not taking the offers...
I do not know if i want to support a team that has mismanageed itself in such a terrible way for nearly

2 decades!!!
getting average players, terrible drafts, horrible Free agency signings, trading away any decent players for has beens or never will-be's....
The fans are seriously running out of patience!!!
This area of fans have proven that if you put a winning product on the field, diamond, or ice, they will support you!!!!!!!
so do that!!!!

Ill support them whether they win or not. They players on the field deserve our support...they aren't the ones making crappy front office moves.

BlackGold4vr
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I would love to see the Pirates compete again. Forget about championships, I just want them to still be in the conversation come September. When is the last time they were a factor in a pennant race except for supplementing other teams rosters? I now believe that the Pirates hopes are about the same as the Raiders. Until they get owners who care more about winning than the profit margin they will continue to serve as a MLB punchline in baseball jokes. I grew up watching Parker, Stargell, Clemente and the likes. I believe some empty promises were made when the team was begging fans to build them a new stadium. Still waiting to break out of the bottom 3 lowest payroll in baseball category. :2cents: