PDA

View Full Version : Derek Mason calls it quits after 12 years...

Troyisabeast_43
07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4325120&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Another big blow to a Ravens team that has already lost their defensive coordinator in Rex Ryan and some key players on defense as well. The Ravens now become very thin at wide receiver making their offense possibly even more anemic then it already was. This seemed to just happen out of nowhere and I cant help but wonder if the sudden death of Mason's longtime teammate and friend Steve McNair had anything to do with this decision to hang it up. If you watched Mason talk last week at McNair's Memorial service you could tell that the death of McNair really seemed to hit home with him and that he just seemed like he lost his desire to play football anymore.

profellisdtrails
07-14-2009, 01:02 AM
lol, the ratbirds lose a key piece to the lackluster offense.

JensK
07-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Poor ravens. Mason was litterally the only guy on that team who could catch a ball...

86WARD
07-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Thin at WR already, the Ravens are almost inept at WR now with Mason gone...lol. He had one of his best seasons in 2008 and was huge for the Ravens on third downs. Clayton came on towards the end of last season, but not enough to carry the receiving game the way Mason did last year. Heap is useless in Cameron's offense...

Welcome to the Sophmore Year Flacco...lol.

SteelerNC
07-14-2009, 07:23 AM
anything negative about the ratbirds i like

86WARD
07-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Hopefully they sign Marvin Harrison...

lloydfan4life
07-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Tim Lumber's crying in his Old Crow! :lol:

Callax
07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
BOOOHOOOO!!! LOL

Glad to see that P.O.S. retire
He was only decent WR for that team of thugs and punks!!
Good Riddence!!!!

Sir Blitzelot
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
This is very surprising; I thought he would play for at least another season. It will be interesting to see who will step up at wide receiver for the Ravens this season, Heap cannot do it all. I know that I'm probably in the minority here, but I always enjoyed watching Derek Mason play the game. He was never the biggest or the fastest guy on the field, but he always played with great heart.

Lunchbucket
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM
This is very surprising; I thought he would play for at least another season. It will be interesting to see who will step up at wide receiver for the Ravens this season, Heap cannot do it all. I know that I'm probably in the minority here, but I always enjoyed watching Derek Mason play the game. He was never the biggest or the fastest guy on the field, but he always played with great heart.

Although I am a lifelong Steeler fan,I always thought Mason brought something to the table.Playing with one arm(cause of injury),hustling on the field to make plays and playing with a great heart.Yea he sometimes pissed me off,but he was one of the few ravens I respected.

profellisdtrails
07-15-2009, 12:37 AM
After reading around, I hear that this is just a ploy for more money and he really is not retiring at all. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

86WARD
07-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Ken Murray had a theory that this is what Mason is trying to do. He still hasn't filed his retirement papers and is still working out at the teams facilities according to the Ravens website.

However, this is what Mason had to say:

“I have been thinking about this since the season ended,” Mason continued. “Emotionally I am just not that enthused. I have not been that enthused to get up and work out…it was getting to that point. This decision has nothing to do with the contract situation; I have made enough money, more than enough money. Emotionally there are things that are more important.

“It’s time right now. I don’t know what’s going to happen from here, but it’s going to be really nice to see what life has in store for me. What I want people to remember about my NFL career is that I played hard…played hard in practice and the game. I tried to make everyone better and would do anything to help.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2009/07/Reports_-_Mason_to_Retire.aspx

steelers4life66
07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the Sophmore Year Flacco...lol.

:haha:

profellisdtrails
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
ward, that statement from mason is so filled with BS lol